Install Arc
Options

Legacy of Romulus Dev Blog #29

Comments

• Options
    clearbeardclearbeard Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    danqueller wrote: »

As to why people are complaining, besides the break with established preferences of the characters supposedly in charge of these ships, I think alot of people are comparing it to the other 'flagship' cruisers in the game (Odyssey, Bortasqu') and wondering why this ship got so much more than they, when the three ships should be on par with one another as pinnacles of each civilization's shipbuilding capabilities.

Simple answer: because the Romulan Star Empire was more advanced and just generally so much cooler before their homeworld blew up than either of those two other factions. Even after decades of war neither the Federation nor the KDF can match their "pinnacle" of shipbuilding.

Alas, D'Tan's shiny-happy hippie policies, which undoubtedly appeal to the masses of displaced refugees that make up the bulk of remaining Romulan society are doing their best to ensure the Empire will all too soon either lose its unique identity and be absorbed into another polity, or be confined to the ashbin of failed interstellar civilizations.

Give them a couple more years and the Fed and KDF will catch up and surpass the Scimitars. With the entire population of New Romulus chasing furry vermin and contracting out the destruction of the Tal Shiar (whose days are clearly numbered), there is no one left to actually perform research and development to do more than cosmetic improvements on such old designs.
  • Options
    micromutmicromut Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    where the @#/$ is the vet ship for rommys
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited July 2013
    Be getting these for my 7 roms soon as were back up, but .....

davidshky wrote: »
    Here's my 2 cents on changes I'd like to see for these ships.

Edit: Stealing symetreus69s post (for the formating) and editing it.(stealing is wrong) ,says the kettle :P

Scimitar Class
    Cmdr, LtCmdr, Lt, Lt, Ens

Falchion Class
    +1 hangar or extra 4k hull

Tulwar Class
    Sensor Analysis

I'd be happier with that, prying my Kdf Roms from Fleet Dhelan/Mogai might be problamatic still, Fed Remans will still love the 3-pack

robeasom wrote: »
    Also any chance of getting these consoles in a future lockbox as these consoles especially the Shields while cloaked would be excellent on my B'rel retrofit for my KDF character

IRRC no T5 ship special console has ever been put in a lockbox, just lower tiered universal consoles.

Since the patch time got extended maybe they are fixing the "Flying High" course glitch where some people only get 1-2 courses instead of the 3 needed to complete the event.

Good Hunting all

PS pardon the BOLDING my old eyes aren't what they used to be
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    halflifezhalflifez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am excited for the ship personally, even if I have to wait a week to be able to get it. But in the mean time I can get my Rom Rep to T5 and wait for this ship.:D Im also curious to see does the "fire while cloaked console" share a cooldown with the T5 Romulan ability? I guess we will see.

I am a little disappointed in the console set-up. I was actually hoping to be able to use 5 Eng consoles...but oh well. I plan on just using 2/3 consoles that come with them, so I will just have to make it work somehow.

As for not having a Com. Eng slot. I was initially disappointed, because I will be using the Falchion variant. But this also intrigues me on how I can have some versatility with my Tac skills now.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Mother of all weapons? Well, okay - it's good; probably great. But in quite a few scenario's the ship will be a cloud of Thalaron radiation, having exploded during the 12 seconds it takes for the uber weapon the charge.

The drawback of a 'charge' weapon is that NOTHING else is liable to sit around and wait for it to fire at them.

Agreed. It is a deadly weapon to stationary or considerably slowed targets who can't get out of the weapon arc in time. This was always the case in the Romulan DSE's.

But that's besides the point though to folks worried about the weapon being used (or not, as the case may be) by the Romulan Republic.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    maliusnightmaliusnight Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    O_O are you serious? This is so OP I don't know where to start.
    We might as well all re-roll Romie, cause nothing is competing with this. 5/3? +40 all Power?
    U-LtC? Come on.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We might as well all re-roll Romie, cause nothing is competing with this. 5/3? +40 all Power?
    U-LtC? Come on.

And in less then a week, we'll have threads with the title of:

"I Paid 5000 Zen For a Half-Assed Rom Scimitar 3-Pack That KDF And Feds Pop Like a Balloon? WTF Cryptic?"

and

"Why Is My Scimitar Always The First Ship Focus Fired On In PVP Matches"

and

"Why Do Scimitar VS Scimitar Matches Take So Long To Finish?"

and finally:

The Scimitar is Overpriced For What You Get -- Needs a Buff"

(and to be fair, the "Nerf the Scimitar" threads will continue too.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    vnexusvnexus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It should also be noted that D'Tan probably had no say in their construction. I bet Obisek built them without asking for anyone's approval. This is after all a Reman design.

Obisek gave up the use of Thalaron Weapons as well. He never wanted to use them in the 1st place, he just wanted to free his ppl from the Tal Shiar.
    They're explicitly described as Republic warships. If the sole leader of a group has no say in the construction of his own fleet...you've got problems.

Ha.. This is very tru. It's sorta like a super power saying no Nukes then giving them to a 3rd world country & saying hey have fun, blow TRIBBLE up, end the world :rolleyes:

-V
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First off, really great ship + new designs :D It's like the movie version, but fairly suited for the game.

Second, WHY are people comparing this thing to the Galaxy? The Scimitar fought against the SOVEREIGN (specifically the Enterprise-E itself, the flagship of the fleet) and more-or-less kicked it's TRIBBLE. The Scimitar was huge, yet not as slow as you'd think; just watch the movie, it could could move quite a bit in motion. Though admittedly, when forcing itself to move from a standstill, it couldn't nearly do the same.

The in-game Sovereign has a turn rate of 7, and this thing is that ship's proverbial archnemesis. So it seems reasonable when put into that context, imo.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    chi1701dchi1701d Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Id like to know why it got a +2 turn rate bonus for conolse set when Odyssey only got a 0.5 bonus.
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    5 forward weapons. So where's the 5 weapon ship for KDF? Everyone else has them.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    chi1701dchi1701d Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    5 forward weapons. So where's the 5 weapon ship for KDF? Everyone else has them.

Romulans are part of the kdf faction :)
  • Options
    drunkadmiraldrunkadmiral Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    just made a short video - Scimitar Thalaron Pulse http://youtu.be/4-UekYBmyWA
  • Options
    matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    clearbeard wrote: »
    Simple answer: because the Romulan Star Empire was more advanced and just generally so much cooler before their homeworld blew up than either of those two other factions. Even after decades of war neither the Federation nor the KDF can match their "pinnacle" of shipbuilding.

The Odyssey/Bortas'qu are new ships, fresh off the drawing board, and supposed to be the most advanced yet. The base Scimitar itself is at least 40 years old already.

And straight out the door the Odyssey was already outclassed by the 60-year-old Ambassador and the Even-Older Excelsior.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Mother of all weapons? Well, okay - it's good; probably great. But in quite a few scenario's the ship will be a cloud of Thalaron radiation, having exploded during the 12 seconds it takes for the uber weapon the charge.

The drawback of a 'charge' weapon is that NOTHING else is liable to sit around and wait for it to fire at them.

Then you know even less about how to play this game than the people you call "n00bs". Stop shooting so you don't draw aggro, then let your team hold the target in your sights. Since Friendly Fire doesn't exist in this game, they won't be in any danger when your Thalaron fires. Also, your Secondary Shields will outlast the charge time.

This ship is OP regardless of how you try to justify it.
  • Options
    azyurionazyurion Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    BTW, thanks god I work that hard with mine romi to stop the evil tal shiar to develop thelaron weapons..

Federation allied using illegal mass destructions weapons = Ok

Yeah, this console garbage makes a mockery of that whole plot line.
    Using bikinis in ESD = Brake the game immersion.

You guys should remove the Star Trek title of this genertic <sic>space game.

It has gotten ridiculous over the past three years. In its current state, I would have to agree that Star Trek Online is far from an immersive "Trek" experience. Even many of the newer missions require you to share a persistent "zone" with the non-Trek "generic space game" players. A name change would be more honest, but, obviously, would cost them the marketing hook of the "Star Trek" tag.

As for the ships, I'm still trying to figure out why the art team mess with the clean lines of canon designs and make them look like something a kindergartener might draw with a crayon. Of course, it's the consoles they're really selling anymore, imho.
  • Options
    maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    edmundduke wrote: »
    I am also sad that it isn't a full carrier. Gonna wait for a real Carrier myself.

i too was anoyed that it only has 1 hanger it dosent make sense why give the rest of them 2 and scrim only 1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This ship is OP regardless of how you try to justify it.
    I find this statement funny when you consider that don'tdrunkI'mshoot, an experienced PvPer who's usually first to criticize anything OP, considers this ship to not be too OP or UP :D

And I'm not just making that up: his post about it is on page 9.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, I bought the pack. After seeing her in action and talking with my fleetmates, it was a no brainer.

Doubt I will use all three consoles though. I am suitably impressed :)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited July 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Well, I bought the pack. After seeing her in action and talking with my fleetmates, it was a no brainer.

Doubt I will use all three consoles though. I am suitably impressed :)

I want to see someone in a fleet sov go 1v1 - anyone you know can film that?
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thalaron weapons. The energy type that the, "Geneva Convention in Space" didn't like? The same terrible weapon type your own story line had us oppose the Tal Shiar and Obisek for?

Canon is one thing but your inability to deliver a vision consistent with your own continuity is really disappointing.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    robertusorobertuso Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thalaron weapons. The energy type that the, "Geneva Convention in Space" didn't like? The same terrible weapon type your own story line had us oppose the Tal Shiar and Obisek for?

Canon is one thing but your inability to deliver a vision consistent with your own continuity is really disappointing.

Maybe you chose to arrest Obisek, but I did not. So who is to say me, or others got closer to obisek then the republic and got the thaleron?

Also, there are romulan players who like to pretend they are the romulan star empire by wearing the talshiar uniform, and have I.R.W. on their ships. So if those players use thaleron, it would be suitable.

so nothing of canon is really affected, unless a player says hes part of the republic and uses the thaleron, but that would be the fault of the player, not the game.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    robertuso wrote: »
    ...Also, there are romulan players who like to pretend they are the romulan star empire by wearing the talshiar uniform, and have I.R.W. on their ships. So if those players use thaleron, it would be suitable.

If the thalaron is availible because it's suitable for players that want to pretend to be in the RSE, maybe then it's suitable for them not to have access to Mol'Rihan, not be able to travel to Sirius, Tau Dewa & Omega Leonis, not to be able to join fleets, PvE, etc.....you get the point. ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    goddessoflifegoddessoflife Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why the T.T or the Whining about it being op? the radiation effect can be easily countered its like plasma just higher damage. Carry a Hazard Emitter!. The rest of the damage is easy use your defensive skills and don't sit still. if its cloaked :eek: use a plasma vent or something that has anti cloak or hold in it description. learn to read and quit Q.Q please its not that hard. :) You can also block a lot of damage but using the right hull plating or Armor and not going and being console heavy in the universal.

Wiki and asking around can get you answers. Its up to you to cry and make lemonade after eating a lemon or squeeze it and sell it. Your Pick!

:This is intended as a informative response not a insult even though i know most will take it either way:
  • Options
    kalavierkalavier Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    vnexus wrote: »
    Well I'm not sure about the numbers but I'm pretty sure no heavy armor/weapon Rom ship kan turn better or faster then Feds streamline designed ship. Just logically thinking about it.

That & as many times as The Federation has beat baq romulan troops. Even in the movie, the reason why it got blown up was bkuz it was to slow. Kouldnt even out maneuver a ramming attack

-V

Um. You must've missed the point where it was going from dead stop, to the side (and forward) while the enterprise was going forward.

All the rest of the scenes it was dancing around the Enterprise E with ease.
    azyurion wrote: »
    How can such a graceful and impressive canon design, like the Scimitar, be mutilated into these ugly, irregular, patchwork monstrosities. Cryptic needs to include at least one graceful, smooth edged, model for those players who do not appreciate the lego-like design philosophy of the current art team. These design travesties, even with their op (imho) consoles, won't convince me to shop for zen, even if I weren't already boycotting premium purchases.

How the heck is the STO scimitar such a horrible model compared to the scimitar from nemesis? They are exactly the same. If not exactly, very damn close. Seriously explain how the ingame model is so different.

Hell, if it wasn't like the movie in terms of abilities or design, people would be ******** more. And the Scimitar was not a carrier. Infact, one hanger fits since we saw the one hanger in the movie (true, it was huge, but still only one). I can't believe people are refusing to even consider buying it ONLY because of one hanger bay.

edit: I'm laughing right now. Everybody is ******** because of the thalaron weapon, yet they don't complain about the Tal shiar ships?

So the republic would flip out and destroy any scimitar using captains, but accept ships covered inside and out with borg tech (made by the Tal shiar no less) into orbit and into orbital stations easily?
  • Options
    originpioriginpi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    U-LtC? Come on.

+40 All power? You misunderstand. Its actually -10 all power when compared to Fed/KDF ships (which have 50 base in all subsystems).

People really are overreacting to this. Also, in the first day, there are tons of complaints about how the ship dies too quick.

Its not like "that other ship" with a cloak, 8 weapons, a console based super-weapon (the most powerful energy weapon in the game single target), 5 Tac consoles (or 4 and Sensor Analysis, which is a bigger deal than you think) and a universal LtC boffstation has been particularly game breaking or even popular.

Also, I really don't understand the people who are all upset about the Thalaron weapons. The Romulan Republic is not part of the Federation and neither are Republic captains (even if they choose to ally with them). No matter how you chose to act in Frozen (or whichever episode it was) you did not arrest Obisek and in fact started working with him to stop the Tal Shiar. The Romulan Republic includes Obisek's Remans, which are still openly using Thalaron radiation. So according to the game's story, there should be no more reaction to the Scimitars than there is to the Republic in general.
  • Options
    kiyokaitankiyokaitan Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    All I have to say is...when will the Fed Galaxy-X get some serious love????:confused:
    Captain Kaitain
  • Options
    robertusorobertuso Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    If the thalaron is availible because it's suitable for players that want to pretend to be in the RSE, maybe then it's suitable for them not to have access to Mol'Rihan, not be able to travel to Sirius, Tau Dewa & Omega Leonis, not to be able to join fleets, PvE, etc.....you get the point. ;)

Well if those players choose to not go in those sectors, its their choice. and if you see a tal shiar player entering those sectors anyways, it should be your duty as a member of the republic to challenge them to a PvP battle, and kick them out of the sector :D
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    originpi wrote: »
    +40 All power? You misunderstand. Its actually -10 all power when compared to Fed/KDF ships (which have 50 base in all subsystems).

People really are overreacting to this. Also, in the first day, there are tons of complaints about how the ship dies too quick.

Its not like "that other ship" with a cloak, 8 weapons, a console based super-weapon (the most powerful energy weapon in the game single target), 5 Tac consoles (or 4 and Sensor Analysis, which is a bigger deal than you think) and a universal LtC boffstation has been particularly game breaking or even popular.

Also, I really don't understand the people who are all upset about the Thalaron weapons. The Romulan Republic is not part of the Federation and neither are Republic captains (even if they choose to ally with them). No matter how you chose to act in Frozen (or whichever episode it was) you did not arrest Obisek and in fact started working with him to stop the Tal Shiar. The Romulan Republic includes Obisek's Remans, which are still openly using Thalaron radiation. So according to the game's story, there should be no more reaction to the Scimitars than there is to the Republic in general.

Well effectively they have made this an op escort. With the right set up of course. But should it be possible in these ships? No it shouldn't.
  • Options
    general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kiyokaitan wrote: »
    All I have to say is...when will the Fed Galaxy-X get some serious love????:confused:

This all the way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    irodeltairodelta Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wow, an amazingly overpowered ship that the other factions have no hope of competing with. Any plans on going back through some of the other factions ships to balance them? 5 fore (previously only available on a single special ship), 3 aft weapon slots; more forward firepower than any other ship, 1.1 shield modifier, a ton of hull, a hanger bay, battle cloak, better turn rate than the cruiser class packs for Klingon and Fed, and it can equip cannons. Not really a reason to play pvp unless you have this...