test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Missing Mail **UPDATE: Items now back on Holodeck with the 7/11 patch**

Comments

• hornyrhinohornyrhino Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    same here :(

ive lost well over 500m ec and i can never get that back....my mails have been piling up for well over the last 2 years i kept reinvesting back to items like Galors and Tuffli freighters and consoles.

on top of this i putting up with the supposed bug for stipped automatic payments which i never got for last 2 months yet supports is telling me and everyone else that asks they had 2-3 payments in april.....**** did i.

its just TRIBBLE the way this is all heading.

if i don't get all my stuff back im off to play something else as i cant take this cr&p anymore...

nobody get life or gold subscription thats all i can say because they drain you of you money then leave you in the gutter....that how i feel with the head banging on wall conversations and yes i spoke to support...not good.
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    While I am glad this matter is being looked into, I do need to point out the inaccuracy of the above highlighted statement. I had somewhere between 2 and 6 (that I know of) e-mails full of attachments, which most assuredly does not qualify as "very, very large amount of items". Granted there might have been a bunch of newer item-expired e-mails as well, but I couldn't tell you for sure...since it is all gone. Still shouldn't be enough to qualify as a very, very large amount of items".

Further, *all* my old e-mails are gone including text-only e-mails which I had been keeping as they contained some useful info (thankfully nothing too precious).

As has been asked by others several times since the above-quoted post (from page 11 of this thread), are we going to only get back our items, or will we get old text e-mails back and/or the text from the item-filled e-mails as well?

Thank you (and other similar postings) for pointing out the inaccuracy of the "a very few players with large amounts of items" statement.

And for those of you looking for your mail to be 'restored', it doesn't appear that there is any mail to be restored.

If you re-read the post by Cryptic's flyingtarg it says the mail messages are lost - as in gone, deleted. But the items that were attached to mail were stored somewhere else, so they still have them. They will be mailed back to you "asap".

Since that's the only communication we have so far, I'd like to hope that there really is a backup somewhere and they will somehow restore the missing mail messages. But I'm not hopeful about it. :mad:

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited June 2013
    Thank you (and other similar postings) for pointing out the inaccuracy of the "a very few players with large amounts of items" statement.

And for those of you looking for your mail to be 'restored', it doesn't appear that there is any mail to be restored.

If you re-read the post by Cryptic's flyingtarg it says the mail messages are lost - as in gone, deleted. But the items that were attached to mail were stored somewhere else, so they still have them. They will be mailed back to you "asap".

Since that's the only communication we have so far, I'd like to hope that there really is a backup somewhere and they will somehow restore the missing mail messages. But I'm not hopeful about it. :mad:

if i screwed up on my job and "lost" everyone's data, id get fired..
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • synwrathswifesynwrathswife Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    http://pic.twitter.com/5swQ8qawPg

Image I posted to STO's Twitter Message

pic.twitter.com/5swQ8qawPg

^ My mail is all gone too everything with attachments just gone... I am going to go cry now. :(
    My two cent's take em or leave em......
    Officer of Fed side - Borg Syndicate: Isulaya (FED Sci) & Isu'laya (ROM Eng) . Admin/Head Officer of KDF side - Blood Empire: A'Nari (KDF Tac). Both have 400+ (usually 500) active fleet members in each of the fleets = I is one busy woman.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wadesantutwadesantut Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    We're investigating this now. Once I have more information to provide, I will pass it along here.

Please also post the most recent date you have mail from if you are experiencing this issue.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

oldest email i have is from 11-27-11
    most recent i have is from 5-28-13 pre perge, i got a few after they all were lost
    i dont care about the email or the content of the letters but i had alot of stuff in the mail slots that i would like to see returned any idea when that will happen?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • andrestartrekandrestartrek Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Come on Cryptic, don't let us hanging in the dark, give us a update, ETA or something. I am getting upset and i am probably not the only one.

Worst communication is no communication.
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As I didn't see Brandon's post earlier - I believe I have mail going back to early 2012. However, the problem is not so much the DATE that I lost stuff, but rather the fact that a very large amount of it is missing in, so far as I can tell, a patchwork manner. This includes messages sending only text, as well as a great deal of messages containing items (unsurprisingly).

BRANDON - if you're "listening," I would also like instructions on how to prepare my mailbox, if anything is necessary. The retrieved mail may very well exceed the new limits and I want to be ready to avoid any MORE problems, since most of my good stuff is in the stuff that got lost. Please provide these if needed.

My situation has been registered with the GMs as ticket #1,823,326. I registered it under "Items." Please let me know if this is the correct queue or if I should resubmit it as something else.
  • gryspeertgryspeert Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    daveyny wrote: »

"...Cry Havoc, and let loose the dogs of storage!"

:D

really like this one
    but any word on the fix yet
    anybody got anything back yet ?
    My Imaginary Friend commited suicide
    Pick your superstition sit back make a wish and Enjoy yourself
    Ah, it's great to be young and insane!
    edited June 2013
    red01999 wrote: »
    As I didn't see Brandon's post earlier - I believe I have mail going back to early 2012. However, the problem is not so much the DATE that I lost stuff, but rather the fact that a very large amount of it is missing in, so far as I can tell, a patchwork manner. This includes messages sending only text, as well as a great deal of messages containing items (unsurprisingly).

BRANDON - if you're "listening," I would also like instructions on how to prepare my mailbox, if anything is necessary. The retrieved mail may very well exceed the new limits and I want to be ready to avoid any MORE problems, since most of my good stuff is in the stuff that got lost. Please provide these if needed.

My situation has been registered with the GMs as ticket #1,823,326. I registered it under "Items." Please let me know if this is the correct queue or if I should resubmit it as something else.

I registered a ticket. It's not there anymore. <sigh> Items sounds like a good cateogory - I guess I'll re-post another every day until I hear something.

Just wondering - anyone else have their tickets regarding this issue disappear?

"Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • furiousfeenixfuriousfeenix Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Still no update?
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited June 2013
    Still no update?

We're anxious to get this resolved ASAP, too. This update, from last Thursday, is the most recent update I have, though:
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    Hey guys, we have an update on this issue for you.

We're still conducting our investigation, but the mailed items that players are reporting are missing still exist in the database, and we will work to get them back in your mail as soon as possible.

This patch introduced an update of our player-to-player mail to a new mail system. As a part of this update, all player-to-player mail had to be transferred over to this system. For most players, this transfer worked as expected, and they should see no change in their mail.

However, for players with a very, very large amount of items in player-to-player mail, this migration failed due to unforeseen technicalities, causing the mail (But not the items in the mail, as they are stored separately from the mail) to be lost. Because the items still exist, we will be able to have them mailed to you, and we'll work to make sure that these items are returned to you as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause in the meantime.

Please note the yellow text -- the team is working as fast as possible to get the items back to you. It's definitely a frustrating issue for our players so we appreciate your continued patience.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • pedrobobpedrobob Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hey an other mission for me here ! Hey !
    NO to ARC
  • origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    it not only stealing items, the emails wont delete until you close mail and open mail then you have no mail.
  • titus1608titus1608 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I didn't loose any (old) mail as far as I can see, but new mail stopped working for me.

I still was able so send two or three mails to myself after last thursdays patch, but after that no new mail arrived.

Usally in the sender tab there was charname@accountname but now there's just the senders's charname displayed without the @accountname.

Other players aren't able to send me mails. After they hit send, the mail dissapears as if it was send, but all attachments remain in the inventory and arent sent.
    I don't know if an empty mail is arriving because I can't see them and the "new mail" button is flashing since thursday.

Exchange Mails still arrive and I can see them.

I only have old mail with attachment left in my mailbox which means the new 100 attachment limit shouldn't be the problem at the moment.
  • andrestartrekandrestartrek Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    We're anxious to get this resolved ASAP, too. This update, from last Thursday, is the most recent update I have, though:

Please note the yellow text -- the team is working as fast as possible to get the items back to you. It's definitely a frustrating issue for our players so we appreciate your continued patience.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

All do no information, the reply it self is gives us the idea that we are not being forgotten. I hope to see this more in the future, we getting nerves, angry, disappointed (you get my drift) without communication or silence ;)

Could you at least tell us if this endeavor is going to take days or weeks or even moths?
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I'm thinking that They haven't got a clue as to how to send back hundreds of thousands of items, that have all been dumped into a part of their storage system that ISN'T attached to the Mail System...

Can you imagine what it must be like to try and figure out who gets what, when the original tag from the original email is gone...
    It sounds like a programing nightmare.

:eek:

I still had all my emails when I last signed out of the game this past weekend...

I'm terrified to sign back in till this is resolved, for fear that just by doing that, it will trigger whatever led to the problem, on my characters also.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm thinking that They haven't got a clue as to how to send back hundreds of thousands of items, that have all been dumped into a part of their storage system that ISN'T attached to the Mail System...

Can you imagine what it must be like to try and figure out who gets what, when the original tag from the original email is gone...

I still had all my emails when I last signed out of the game this past weekend...

I'm terrified to sign back in till this is resolved, for fear that just by doing that, it will trigger whatever led to the problem, on my characters also.

EXACTLY why I'm sitting out till this is resolved. It's hard for me not to comment on what I had and what worked before last wednesday but I would consider returning to the game less mail items for a lump sum payment from Cryptic for the stolen items. About 200K dilithium and 10 Million EC should about cover it. I was lucky to pull my lockbox ships and consoles out before the system was killed by the lack of forsight by the database programmers.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • furiousfeenixfuriousfeenix Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks for responding, all I guess I wanted to see was a message from someone official saying "we're still working on this, we haven't forgotten you" So your post does make me feel better, even though there is a fix ETA. Since this post wasn't stickied or anything it seemed like it was being 'forgotten'. So anyway, thanks.

My understanding is they just lost the mail text, but probably still have the header table or something. If they lost the data that binds the items to target... well... I have no clue how to fix that, unless they try to do a join across the item and a sent mail table (assuming they have one I would stash that data in the mail header table) on a timestamp... that would take... forever... joining across GUIDs is bad enough. Or they could just go through the transaction logs since the... beginning of time... ouch. (Sorry for the database nerd-out.)

Also they may have lost the subject lines as well, not just message bodies... great I'll have a ton of emails titled Oops from @WereReallySorry
  • hornyrhinohornyrhino Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    EXACTLY why I'm sitting out till this is resolved. It's hard for me not to comment on what I had and what worked before last wednesday but I would consider returning to the game less mail items for a lump sum payment from Cryptic for the stolen items. About 200K dilithium and 10 Million EC should about cover it. I was lucky to pull my lockbox ships and consoles out before the system was killed by the lack of forsight by the database programmers.

10m?? i lost well over 500m in goods :( including at least 2 galors and 1 tuffli in there as well....

just sucks
  • vizhoniavizhonia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is clearly not anywhere near being fixed but is an ongoing issue and mail should NOT be trusted... I thought I'd missed this mess.. Thought I was one of the majority that had managed to keep my few items I had in mail, which was a whole of about 4 mails worth of Doffs intended for another character.

Well, it's not fixed... It's not anywhere near being fixed, and anything not taken out of mail while you have the chance will likely be vanishing.

All my mails prior to 4-8 vanished today, including the ones with all the Doffs.

UPDATE: The mails reappeared a few minutes after posting this... when I ordered them by topic the reappeared in the mailbox, but arranged by date they were simply not showing. I think I just experienced a different bug that may or may not be related.
    edited June 2013

I'm thinking someone heard "oh god, we lost the text but the item database is still there" without realizing there was no user tag/pointer/id. So, I have an even more terrifying image in my brain - a bunch of ppl mailing items one by one, since they have no way to code a match-up to the user at all and are afraid to tell anyone. lol

As far as signing in until it's resolved, I guess I don't blame you. Although I don't see any way of 'resolving' the loss (other than the coding mess) or it becoming better or re-matched later if you didn't log in.

I'm boiling over the SB projects our fleet has sitting there for a few days because they don't have enough DOffs donated - when I had them all in my mail and couldn't get to them after the first debacle.

This is like the forum migration the first time. I am SOOO glad I was able to pull out a couple of really high-priced items before this happened. But I can't even tell you how many millions of EC worth of stuff is out there in the ether...

I just can't believe no one did a simple count query to make sure the same amount of emails was in the box before and after the migration. Not to start the whole 'shoulda woulda coulda' thing. But that's migration 101. But then, so is telling the users to clean out their mailboxes because you're migrating files.

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

edited June 2013
    <snip>

I just can't believe no one did a simple count query to make sure the same amount of emails was in the box before and after the migration. Not to start the whole 'shoulda woulda coulda' thing. But that's migration 101. But then, so is telling the users to clean out their mailboxes because you're migrating files.

I'm at a loss of what to say and not get banned.
    Surely these software guys at cryptic know what their doing, right ?
    They made a backup before they reconfigured the system, right ?
    Why didn't they tell the players anything about the changes, maybe we could've helped make the change less painful.
    :confused:

I'm tired of being treated like a mushroom.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• vorga113vorga113 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ... Still waiting for a fix...

I refuse to login knowing all my mail will be gone, I'm already getting engaged in other online games. Time is your enemy, soon I will have forgotten why I login to STO and will only remember the bugs, the lag, and all the things I worked for that were stolen.

Can I haz all your stuff??
    Just mail it to me
    edited June 2013
    vorga113 wrote: »
    Can I haz all your stuff??
    Just mail it to me

Sure thing, I just sent it. Did you get them ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• vorga113vorga113 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sure thing, I just sent it. Did you get them ?

OK everyone saw that, he gave me all his stuff. So Cryptic when you do get round to fixing the mail, remember to send all his mails to me, it'll just cut out the middle man
    edited June 2013
    vorga113 wrote: »
    OK everyone saw that, he gave me all his stuff. So Cryptic when you do get round to fixing the mail, remember to send all his mails to me, it'll just cut out the middle man

Heh, if you didn't get them by now you better file a support ticket. Bran says the site redirect problem is fixed.

Go for it.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• mrshadowphoenixmrshadowphoenix Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've logged into today expecting to get something that had been picked up a while back for when my Romulan character reached maximum and had forgotten about for a while. The mail was sent prior to the launch of LoR, as was a lot with other attachments I got from others and stuff I sent myself. However, to my surprise, all of my mail from before 5-22-2013 that had attachments, excluding some 'exchange sales expired' ones, are missing. All I have left are those 'expired sales' ones, ones from 5-22 on, and ones that didn't have attachements....well, some of them.

As I've been in-game since pre-order back in 2010, I have to admit that was a lot of mail, not all that had attachments, that is now missing.

I've also filed a bug report ticket via the in-game system.

Ticket #1,827,883
    edited June 2013

I've also filed a bug report ticket via the in-game system.

Ticket #1,827,883

I submitted ticket ID #1,812,979 on June 21 about the mail - it never showed up in my tickets.
    I just filed another one - [System] [TicketCreated] Successfully submitted ticket ID #1,827,978. Also not showing up in my tickets.

Going to try to file one about my tickets not showing up. heh

IMPORTANT ABOUT THE DUPLICATE 'EXPIRED SALE' MESSAGES:

I received 2 messages for each expired item. One has the item attached, one does not; both have exactly the same time stamp.

If you take the item from the one message that has it, you can delete that message. You can't seem to delete the duplicate (no item attached message). I've found that after an hour or two, they do go away.

The important part - Be careful. In my experience, IF YOU FIRST TRY TO DELETE THE MESSAGE WITHOUT THE ITEM IT DELETES THE ITEM OUT OF THE OTHER MESSAGE. YRMV This has been my experience. I thought I must have been mistaken or deleted the wrong thing by accident - I was trying to clean up all these duplicate messages, and great - the few messages I had that actually had any items attached deleted right before my eyes.

On top of that, the blank ones are the first in line when sorted by date, so I thought at first that maybe it was left over from when I couldn't delete mail.

Plus they got rid of the part of the message saying 'it will take a long time to return the item'. lol yeah, I presume 'cause it's gone.

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

• kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thought i'd pop back in and see if there was any update on this topic and give it a shameless bump for the souls that lost all. Nope, no new words of wisdom from the devs on the topic....not surprising.
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • daedalus27daedalus27 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kirisee wrote: »
    Thought i'd pop back in and see if there was any update on this topic and give it a shameless bump for the souls that lost all. Nope, no new words of wisdom from the devs on the topic....not surprising.

I think it is past time for a status update on how the resolution to this problem is coming along. They have identified the issue, has there been any progress or ETA on when our mail will be restored?
This discussion has been closed.