test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nerf the Valdore console it's unbalancing [Thread closed since y'all can't play nice]

praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Romulan Discussion
The oh so magical Valdore console allows a 2.5% chance to heal your shields for 200% of the energy damage your weapons deal.

That is ALWAYS on, applies to EACH weapon, EACH firing cycle, and completely disregards whether your weapons actually land a hit or not. Furthermore, it's not hard at all to get DHCs doing 4k+ damage per cycle... meaning you can essentially refill your shields with literally no effort.

Naturally, this is unbalancing PvP quite a bit. Tac/Warbirds are pumping out absurd amounts of healing without having to change their builds or tactics at all - there's matches where Warbirds with these consoles are outhealing dedicated Recluse healers by a few million.

Now we all know that people love to complain about PvPers getting everything nerfed, but what about PvE?

Events like CE take damage AND healing into account. Before, lower damage ships (Sci and non-DPS Cruisers) could use their relatively massive heals to boost their score. Now, Tac/Warbirds can pump out their high damage and crazy high heals as well to send their score through the roof.

How is anyone else supposed to compete with that?
Post edited by praxi5 on

Comments

• eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No one can compete with the Valdore console in Fleet actions. I once entered a running CE event with my Fleet Mogai in which the Crystalline Entity was at 16% health. I only managed to fire a few salvos at the entity before it was destroyed and I still scored SECOND PLACE due to the insane healing of the Valdore console. If you join a fleet event from the beginning you will always score first place with this console (as long as no one else runs this console too and outdamages you).

The Valdore console not only makes tanking trivial and utterly destroys every last existing sense of balance in PvP but also is an instant 'I WIN'-button for PvE events.
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wish I can fit it in my Temp destroyer :(
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    its not PvP its PvE its unblancing my question is so WHAT?
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Devs pls dont listen to this again, dont nerf the Valdore console, its fine as it is.
    Just becouse some1 hacks/tricks or whatever they called it :rolleyes: are not an "I win" button anymore in PvP, it doesnt mean that this console is op.
    In CE i still got 1st place just yesterday (i wanst on a rom char), and there were at least 2 valdores there so its not a problem for PvE at all. And in STFs i have seen valdores dieng plenty of times as well.
    Also some parse programs gives u some wrong numbers, over inflated ones that dont reflect the true in-game situation with this console, its might be cuz is new.
    I remember a similar thing about the leach console when only kdf had it, everytime feds requested it, the answers where "Roll a KDF". So here is the same thing, "Roll a Romulan" and see for urself.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is it possible the people flying the Valdore are just really good players? Or they got lucky a few times? A good Captain makes for a good ship. Not the other way around. There always seems to be some of these "______ is OP!" threads whenever something is added to the game.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    praxi5 wrote: »
    How is anyone else supposed to compete with that?

Given that you're talking about PvE, I feel it neccessary to point out that you're not supposed to be competing. If you are, you're doing it wrong.

With regards to PvP - QQ some more? No-one cares about PvP at this point, least of all the devs. There's more money to be made in consoles that upset the balance of the game than their is in revamping PvP and changing all their unique consoles to bring balance to PvP.

So no, leave it alone. That console is great. As noted by another poster, I just wish I could mount it on my other ships as some of them need those shield heals much more than my Fleet D'Deridex. You do know that you basically get the same proc on Fleet Elite Space Phasers? Do they need a nerf too?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
    edited June 2013
    Oh, ok.

Then I should probably just continue to park my Mogai at 9 km from the Crystalline Entity, enable autoshooting, then go afk for a while and reap the purple lootz for scoring first place. Damage output is low enough to not get aggro from the entity and the automatic shield heals from the Valdore are sufficient for a high score. Same goes for the Minefield event. I just need to destroy a few ships, then go afk until the other players have done the rest of the mission -> Yay, first place for me. Of course just a result of my awesome skills.

The PvE crowd has spoken. Everything is working fine. Move along, nothing to see here :rolleyes:

EDIT:
    I almost forgot to drop this screenshot someone posted in the PvP forums. It shows the results of a CE event. ~4000 Healing per second.

Seems legit.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    n/m, changed my position. 200% is indeed absurd.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    200% is an absurd amount. This thing puts an entire set of elite fleet phasers to shame. Even 50% would be considered remarkable. Yes I own this ship and console. And yes I definitely want to see it nerfed, either of the percentages:

200% - 50%
    or
    2.5% chance - 1% chance
    EnYn9p9.jpg
    edited June 2013
    200% is an absurd amount. This thing puts an entire set of elite fleet phasers to shame. Even 50% would be considered remarkable. Yes I own this ship and console. And yes I definitely want to see it nerfed, either of the percentages:

200% - 50%
    or
    2.5% chance - 1% chance

Even 50% is more than what you get with elite phasers.

And the sad part is, KDF can do more dps to begin with, so "regenerating your shields proportional to the damage dealt to the target" is even compounded by this fact.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • displayname707displayname707 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nah its a clever marketing trick, ppl buy the ship for its awesome console... Then they nerf it after they have cashed in enaugh ;)
    edited June 2013
    Nah its a clever marketing trick, ppl buy the ship for its awesome console... Then they nerf it after they have cashed in enaugh ;)

Fine. Then give us FEDs a similar device.

But rather, no, just nerf it: everyone flying around with 200% shield heals is, even for a carebear like myself, a little bit too much.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • satinaviansatinavian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What has this to do with Fed vs KdF ?

They both can be Rommies with the console and as it is restricted to Rom Shiptypes, there is no advantage of being on either side while using it.
  • sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is it possible the people flying the Valdore are just really good players? Or they got lucky a few times? A good Captain makes for a good ship. Not the other way around. There always seems to be some of these "______ is OP!" threads whenever something is added to the game.

It's not necessarily flying the Valdore. It's using the console, which can be used on any warbird.
    satinavian wrote: »
    What has this to do with Fed vs KdF ?

They both can be Rommies with the console and as it is restricted to Rom Shiptypes, there is no advantage of being on either side while using it.

I believe it's because it takes the unique aspect of the Elite Phasers and makes them accessible to KDF. Possibly compounded because the Rom KDF using the console would have higher dps with KDF Fleet weapons and thus higher hps [than a Fed Rom using the console].
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Firstly, let's get some things that aren't being discussed out in the open. (Full disclosure, my Fleet Valdore runs this console).

1) The proc is extremely streaky. You'll get multiple concurrent procs, and then be left hanging for quite some time waiting for the RNG to bless you again. I have serious doubts that people claiming to get near-constant full-healing aren't exaggerating or cherry-picking results.

2) The proc appears to be massively over-synergizing with certain boff abilities, specifically AoEs and shield boosts. You'll see healing amounts that simply don't synch up with individual hits.

3) The proc isn't a one hit uber-heal. If it goes off with a non-dhc weapon, you're going to see a piddly heal.

4) Massive overhealing by this console is putting extremely misleading numbers in parsers and on leaderboards.

With all of the above said, yes it is overtuned. Solution?

Fix the boff-ability wackiness, and give it a reasonable ICD.

The problem comes from it's ability to multi-proc. Take that out of the picture, and the console loses all of it's craziness. Will you still occasionally get lucky with a big heal on a hit? Of course. Will you get screwed by the proc when it only adds 400 to each facing and goes on cooldown? Absolutely
  • captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The fact you had to post a legitimate PvP concern in the context of a "zomg see this ruins PVE so all the PVE carebares need to support my cries to nerf itzz!!!1" pretty much paints you as a crybaby PvPer...

The real issue is cryptic's desire to sell over powered items... they really put themselves in a bad position because changing the specs of something people have paid for puts them on thin ice. Sooner or later if they're going to continue with this trend they will be faced with having to refund money for what they're selling, then changing on people after the fact.

That or they will find people will no longer buy their uber-gear knowing it will eventually be changed after they bought it.

Just because "all the free mmos are doing it" doesn't make it a good idea or mean it's good for the overall health and balance of the game.
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited June 2013
    eisenw0lf wrote: »
    No one can compete with the Valdore console in Fleet actions. I once entered a running CE event with my Fleet Mogai in which the Crystalline Entity was at 16% health. I only managed to fire a few salvos at the entity before it was destroyed and I still scored SECOND PLACE due to the insane healing of the Valdore console. If you join a fleet event from the beginning you will always score first place with this console (as long as no one else runs this console too and outdamages you).

The Valdore console not only makes tanking trivial and utterly destroys every last existing sense of balance in PvP but also is an instant 'I WIN'-button for PvE events.

Well you are talking about 1 Fleet action - CE - that it "could" help you get top score - healing is a small component compared to dmg I believe.

BUT - in every other PvE content - every SINGLE event - Especially ESTF - it gives players a HUGE survivablity boost.

With this console 95% of players in the game can easily survive ESTF

Everyone should buy the Valdore and get the console - it's only 1000 Zen

As to nerf - forget about it - it's working as intended.
  • zarxidejackozarxidejacko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    internal 20 sec cd and its fine. It will proc poorly(turets no buff for example) or greatly(DHC with full alpha omega etc buff), but 20 sec between it
    2010 is my join date.
    edited June 2013

Yeah, good luck for 'everyone' trying to buy it as FED.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited June 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »

I'm honestly trying to figure out if you're pissed at the console's functionality, or the fact that you can't get it as a pureblood Fed.
    edited June 2013

Oh the tired old response - used to be "roll a KDF if you want a cloak/gear/etc"

Now it's "roll a Rommie" it's free!!! - rolling the rommie that is - the console is well worth the 1000 zen extra.
    edited June 2013
    I'm honestly trying to figure out if you're pissed at the console's functionality, or the fact that you can't get it as a pureblood Fed.

As i said earlier, "Fine. Then give us FEDs a similar device. But rather, no, just nerf it: everyone flying around with 200% shield heals is, even for a carebear like myself, a little bit too much."

I thought that was pretty clear.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited June 2013
    I thought that was pretty clear.

Then perhaps you should stop vacillating between "don't nerf it, just give it to me" and "nerf it because I can't get it".
    edited June 2013
    Oh the tired old response - used to be "roll a KDF if you want a cloak/gear/etc"

Now it's "roll a Rommie" it's free!!! - rolling the rommie that is - the console is well worth the 1000 zen extra.

The fact alone that only 1 side has this ueberdevice, and that you thus need to roll a new toon on that side to even get is, is itself a clear sign of unbalance.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited June 2013
    The fact alone that only 1 side has this ueberdevice, and that you thus need to roll a new toon on that side to even get is, is itself a clear sign of unbalance.

What do you mean side? there are only 2 sides in the game Fed/KDF - rommies can go on either.
    edited June 2013

I guess every single T5 c-store specific console is by definition unbalanced then...
    edited June 2013
    I guess every single T5 c-store specific console is by definition unbalanced then...

Actually, it is. :) That's one of the problems with this game: C-store, lockbox ships, reputation system, they all unbalance the natural order of things.

Oh, and before you start in on this, I fly lockbox/C-store ships almost exclusively. Doesn't mean I can't see how they unbalance ships/equipment compared to ships/equipment available to people who level up regularly.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Well you are talking about 1 Fleet action - CE - that it "could" help you get top score - healing is a small component compared to dmg I believe.

BUT - in every other PvE content - every SINGLE event - Especially ESTF - it gives players a HUGE survivablity boost.

As to nerf - forget about it - it's working as intended.

This console is an 'I WIN' button for competitive PvE missions like the CE event and the Minefield. Don't tell me this is working as intended that you can just buy yourself a constant victory streak. Also if a player really needs this overpowered console to survive in ESTFs he should probably reconsider his build. Chances are that the problem lies there and not in the lack of pay2win consoles. ESTFs are already easymode. I've seen BoPs tanking the Tactical Cube, despite them being just slightly oversized Yellowstone Shuttlecrafts in terms of hull and shieldpower.
  • kirkepsilon1kirkepsilon1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cers001 wrote: »
    its not PvP its PvE its unblancing my question is so WHAT?

I agree I mean don't see an issue especially in pve for example in a stf the name of the game is to destroy the borg as quickly as possible not faff about lol. PvP not really an issue since I don't bother with it for I did it several times and it bored me unlike the PvP in Neverwinter which is awesome wish STO PvP was that much fun to do particularly on the ground which is where they should focus their efforts I mean domination,Haud mode, Zombies etc would play very nicely there :)
    edited June 2013
    eisenw0lf wrote: »
    This console is an 'I WIN' button for competitive PvE missions like the CE event and the Minefield. Don't tell me this is working as intended that you can just buy yourself a constant victory streak. Also if a player really needs this overpowered console to survive in ESTFs he should probably reconsider his build. Chances are that the problem lies there and not in the lack of pay2win consoles. ESTFs are already easymode. I've seen BoPs tanking the Tactical Cube, despite them being just slightly oversized Yellowstone Shuttlecrafts in terms of hull and shieldpower.

You know very well that everyone who PvP's regularly can Faceroll through ESTF, however, the game is mosly populated by super casual players that have no idea how to build an effective ship/boff layout/gear set. Add to that the large amount of new players with even less experience the pug events would be in even worse shape without this console - fact!
This discussion has been closed.