test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

100-attachment mail limit

Comments

• onehappytapewormonehappytapeworm Member Posts: 106 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2013
    bootyboots wrote: »
    There is no visual limit marker, again no official indication that this limit exists, other than when you try to send over 100, your mails will simply stop sending with no error message or anything.

Is it possible that at least 13 of those mails were sent prior to the 21st of May?

Also the only post-legacy mails that can't be deleted it seems are exchange mails

Are you saying the limit only applies to attachments sent after LoR? If so then all of my messages (except the 3 new ones I sent last night) fall into that category. i had not seen where people had specified these were only new messages and so I understood then problem to be with all attachments regardless of age.
  • antilockboxantilockbox Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    :mad: Yet another way to take something from the players. Remember de marks/dilithium conversion? Best thing we can do, is stop buying ZEN. It's the only way to make Cryptic listen to the players.
  • squigishsquigish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Well I did admit earlier that portability of mail was a problem, but to channel some of the devs ways of looking at gameplay- playing on multiple computers may not be consistent with the devs design of how it should be played, thus an exploit.

:)

So you're saying that playing on my desktop when I'm at home, and on my laptop when I'm travelling, could be considered an exploit? That seems a bit far-fetched, to say the least.
  • squigishsquigish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If Cryptic is willing to Help us with the Problem to storage the Doffs i think i have a Solution for it.

Maybe they can make some Doff Missions that convert unwanted Doffs in "Deparment Tokens" that we can use instant of 'real' Doff for the Fleet/Reputation Projects. Let they stack to 500 or 1000 than it fill only bankspace that is easy to expand i think for all then to get new Doffs space if all chars are allready at cap. And it will drastically reduce the datastore needed for handling hundreds of doffs

As an example we would then have 7 Token Types =
    Security, Tactical,
    Engineering, Operation,
    Science, Medical,
    Civil (inclusive Prisoner, Colonists).

The Convert missions it self should be as short as the other upgrade/downgrade missions for Doffs no dil, xp. the missions should give then based on the quality of the doffs 1 token for commen, 3 token for uncommen, 9 token for rare and 27 tokens for very rare of the department the doffs was.

And the best it is far easier for us players to handle a large nummer of "doff tokens" then per a crappy 5-slot-drag'n'drop mail system.

This is a great idea.

Borticus has stated that one reason they haven't allowed higher-quality doff contributions to projects is that they have no way (that's currently implemented) to make the progress bar go up more for higher-quality doffs. This would solve the problem nicely, because you could just convert your higher-quality doffs to more doff tokens, and contribute those.
  • suiksagasuiksaga Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree if cryptic actually took some suggestions especially the token converter of sort into consideration and gave a bit more space like 200 for selling items it might be a better trade off that or a new system for holding doffs for fleet projects.

i got 10+ character which is hard for selling items 40 on each character if I was to each day I might be in trouble sooner or later.

But as the weeks progress I lose more and more faith that a dev or community manager even look at this long running post.

Instead of ignoring us work with us the customer base to try to make this game more streamline instead of taking things away that we utilize to help our fleet and friend while enjoying STO.
  • wmcarsonwmcarson Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ya i'm being the guy that doesnt want to read through 30 some pages to see if this has already been stated but...

in addition to balancing out doff tables so you get equal amounts from boxes (ie sci and med)...

It would help if they could remove fleet marks from the fleet credit generation missions. I would love to throw 100s of sci dofs into the grinder, even with a low low low reward of five starbase XP.

OR get away from having the doff boxes be the primary source and have like returns on the uncommon doffs when you exchange them. Turn in an uncommon security doff get three common security doffs

If you had way to get rid of all those doffs for something other than one dilithium would address 99% of the issues with the mail cap system ;0
    |William@wmcarson|Starfleet Reserve|www.StarfleetReserve.com
  • texan1986texan1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ya im having a problem deleting mail in sto
  • alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Best thing we can do, is stop buying ZEN.
    I've stopped. And I even stopped to play and don't why I bought LoR pack for 125$. Could they say that they have plans for the mail limit when they announced LoR packs? This limit is totally not acceptable.
  • tarrennistarrennis Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am under the 100 attachment limit account wide. I received an email, your item is being returned because the exchange sale expired. No item was attached. Where is my item Cryptic? I have to keep items on the exchange to sell them to make sure I stay under this new limit.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tarrennis wrote: »
    I am under the 100 attachment limit account wide. I received an email, your item is being returned because the exchange sale expired. No item was attached. Where is my item Cryptic? I have to keep items on the exchange to sell them to make sure I stay under this new limit.
    Only the Original Exchange Poster Character can view and claim a Exchange return attachment. Are are viewing the Email with the original posting character?
  • bootybootsbootyboots Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tarrennis wrote: »

as stated the original selling toon only can receive it

also

the mail system seems to be doubling exchange return mails, 1 has the return attached 1 doesn't
    House of Sigma (channel KDFdefera for PvE requiring only KDF teams) List of KDF issues [my in-game handle @bootymcboots] (channel KDF Empire for KDF orientated discussion - still in development/growing)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the mail system seems to be doubling exchange return mails, 1 has the return attached 1 doesn't

Yeah. Because just being unable to delete mail for weeks doesn't clutter up our mailboxes fast enough. ;)
  • robinphoenixxrobinphoenixx Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am not overly fond of this change. Where can I leave 10.000 lockboxes? How can I collect my DOFF's from all my chars and exchange them?

This step might be one to destroy many options for players with many chars and for fleets not do mention damaging to the game economie. Hello overflowing exchange and mails one can not delete.

Please Cryptic, turn this one around.
  • father0niveusfather0niveus Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll agree with what many before me have already said, we need and deserve a dev response on this mail issue. If it's a bug then just say so, we'll accept that. If it isn't then prepare for a backlash because it's bad enough it was implemented in the first place but it's unforgivable that we were not informed it was going to be.
    I have seen what power does. And I have seen what power costs. The one is never equal to the other.
  • bootybootsbootyboots Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If it's a bug then just say so, we'll accept that. If it isn't then prepare for a backlash because it's bad enough it was implemented in the first place but it's unforgivable that we were not informed it was going to be.

working as intended, refer to the link in red-text in the first post
    House of Sigma (channel KDFdefera for PvE requiring only KDF teams) List of KDF issues [my in-game handle @bootymcboots] (channel KDF Empire for KDF orientated discussion - still in development/growing)
  • l0cutus359l0cutus359 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

It is obvious that Cryptic doesn't have enough people playing their own game and understand how the game mechanics really flow for customers that play on a regular basis.

Tired of these ninja nerfs and crippling side effects.
    Locutus

Delirium Tremens
    Tier 4 Starbase, Tier 3 Embassy
    http://dtfleet.com/
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited June 2013
    its also obvious by now they arent going to speak up and say yes we made the change and this is why..

its kinda sounding like this is a bug.

they might not even know how it was/should work and just assumed that its good how it is now.

kind of seems they are just going to ignore us and hope we accept its how it is.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »
    its also obvious by now they arent going to speak up and say yes we made the change and this is why..

its kinda sounding like this is a bug.

they might not even know how it was/should work and just assumed that its good how it is now.

kind of seems they are just going to ignore us and hope we accept its how it is.

Read the attachment in the first post. This ISN'T a bug.

@ Bran: The mail is so hosed ATM I'm afraid to remove any attached items ATM. Pass that along, ok? ;)
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • father0niveusfather0niveus Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013

So I see. Well then, I call foul, I call foul very very much. I'm fighting the urge to write a few far more colorful responses because this sort of behavior is simply reprehensible. Am I ticked about the limit? Well yes. However, I'm even more ticked that something like this was introduced without letting us know it was coming. Why? Brandon you said you were passing along feedback from the Twitter thread so please pass this along as well. This type of behavior is doing nothing but alienating your player base. Most of us, sure there are times I wonder though, are mature individuals and will respond well to simple honesty. Many of us are not happy with the change but it would have been much easier to swallow if you'd just been honest with us about it.

Now if I (and the others who have expressed outrage at how this mail change was implemented) missed an announcement somewhere, then I give you my apologies now. If we didn't, then I'm really curious to know what exactly the thought process behind doing this unannounced was.
    I have seen what power does. And I have seen what power costs. The one is never equal to the other.
  • daedalus27daedalus27 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just wish there was an official acknowledgement on their own game forums about this and at least a suggestion that they are looking at the issue. I understand if they didn't quite foresee the consequences some of us are feeling. There are some workable solutions in here so it isn't as if this is all complaints without any help to them.

This change is seperate from the mail bug and deserves a seperate look. Almost 400 messages and 17k looks and yet nothing in any official capacity one way or another beyond a twitter post that provides little information. It is discouraging to see this being seemingly ignored.
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So I see. Well then, I call foul, I call foul very very much. I'm fighting the urge to write a few far more colorful responses because this sort of behavior is simply reprehensible. Am I ticked about the limit? Well yes. However, I'm even more ticked that something like this was introduced without letting us know it was coming. Why? Brandon you said you were passing along feedback from the Twitter thread so please pass this along as well. This type of behavior is doing nothing but alienating your player base. Most of us, sure there are times I wonder though, are mature individuals and will respond well to simple honesty. Many of us are not happy with the change but it would have been much easier to swallow if you'd just been honest with us about it.

Now if I (and the others who have expressed outrage at how this mail change was implemented) missed an announcement somewhere, then I give you my apologies now. If we didn't, then I'm really curious to know what exactly the thought process behind doing this unannounced was.

This.
    Before LOR they announced that Nukia boxes were going to be removed. I hadn't been to Nukia before so I had a look. I then decided to farm the Crystal Gear for all my alts and save for my ROM alts. Well a few days before LOR they opened up Beta. I found out boxes would still drop post LOR but the Crystal Gear would be removed. So I opened up all the boxes I had been saving for my ROM alts and let others know too. Oh purple weapons were removed from the boxes too.

Anyway, the result of this stealth nerf has changed my behavior. I no longer sell high and low level items from all my alts. Especially with the delete mail bug. Now I use 1 alt and it's only worth my time to sell the high value items.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's not unreasonable to limit the amount of free storage people get. Essentially, the mail system was an end-run around expanding your account bank.

However, I might argue that 100 is too low a limit. That's only 20 mails at 5 attachments per mail.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I m with you Neav, however, we need to stop having all these currencies that use up inventory space, and we need better storage options. This goes for Doffs, Pets, Tribbles, Food etc. Why can't lock box ships not be like a c-store unlock. There are a lot of quality of life improvements that could soften the blow from removing infinite mail storage. This could be a win win situation for the server hamsters and the bean counters
  • trillscientisttrillscientist Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes, the mailbox limit is OK to have, BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE ANNOUNCED IT!!!!

AND YOU SHOULD HAVE MADE SURE IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!!
    I currently have 71 items in my mailbox, of which approx. 20 are older than 6 months - so those shouldn't count (and event if they do count against the limit, i'm still short).
    Now I don't know exactly how many items are hidden in the "unsold item returned from exchange" messages I have, but I only have about a dozen of these, and as far as I know they can only contain 1 item.
    I am not a "power user", I am just a normal customer who recently wanted to clear out a charakter to free up a character slot.

You might have guessed it by now, but I can no longer send items by mail. And I have not reached the 100 attachments limit.
    So it is not just a stealth nerf, it is a BROKEN stealth nerf. Congratulations on a job well done.

I understand that there has to be a limit to free storage, especially since Cryptic wants to sell expanded storage options. But quietly introducing a broken limit and hoping nobody will notice is really just stupid.
    edited June 2013
    naevius wrote: »
    It's not unreasonable to limit the amount of free storage people get. Essentially, the mail system was an end-run around expanding your account bank.

However, I might argue that 100 is too low a limit. That's only 20 mails at 5 attachments per mail.

The main point is that this major change was not published before release. It has hamstrung many players, especially folks who are having to micro-manage doff's for SB projects and the out of balance doff requirements.

The lack of storage in the game is a problem and folks would probably pay to expand bank slots and doff rosters, but the limits are set way too low for the daily game mechanics of progressing characters and SB.
    Locutus

Delirium Tremens
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This wasn't a stealth nerf; this was emergency maintenance. The mail system was being broken, and that breaking was affecting other things.

And those of you who were abusing the mail system for free item storage KNEW you were doing something unintended, and thus knew eventually the free ride would come to a stop. There is an easy solution to the "problem" of having too many white doffs:

Lower your Exchange prices for them. They'll sell, prices will come down, and people won't feel the need to store them anymore because they'll be plentiful in the Exchange. Put the EC in your fleet bank, and let your officers use it to buy the doffs they need for the fleet projects. Or keep the EC yourself, and buy the doffs for your fleet.

This will work if there's a limit on storage, which there now is. Now the market needs to adjust, which will take time. It'll take less time if you help it instead of fighting it.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    There is an easy solution to the "problem" of having too many white doffs:

Conversely, Cryptic could remove the branch specific restrictions on all projects. Market problem solved, having to store doffs problem solved.

Only problem remaining is borked acquisition rates.
    edited June 2013
    This wasn't a stealth nerf; this was emergency maintenance. The mail system was being broken, and that breaking was affecting other things.

And those of you who were abusing the mail system for free item storage KNEW you were doing something unintended, and thus knew eventually the free ride would come to a stop. There is an easy solution to the "problem" of having too many white doffs:

Lower your Exchange prices for them. They'll sell, prices will come down, and people won't feel the need to store them anymore because they'll be plentiful in the Exchange. Put the EC in your fleet bank, and let your officers use it to buy the doffs they need for the fleet projects. Or keep the EC yourself, and buy the doffs for your fleet.

This will work if there's a limit on storage, which there now is. Now the market needs to adjust, which will take time. It'll take less time if you help it instead of fighting it.

Even if you are correct, they should have published what was going on so folks could adjust. A major change for something where opinion's think it is an exploit or not... it is poor business not to explain the situation except by a twitter response.

How this was handled was wrong regardless of position/opinion.
    Locutus

Delirium Tremens
  • trillscientisttrillscientist Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

If you "fix" something to the disadvantage of the player population it is called a nerf.

Prices for sci doffs cannot come down any further, they are already at a point where it makes more sense to airlock them, but some people dislike doing so (RP equivalent of killing an underperforming junior officer), so they look for ways to store them.

And I am NOT abusing the mail system. I am a returning player (actually I retured 1-2 weeks BEFORE LoR), so I have some old mails in my inbox (unsold items, items I wanted to transfer to another character...).
    Now I want to start a 2nd romulan character. To do this without paying money for a (currently) broken game I have to delete an old character. Because I do not want to throw all the progress and money I have made with this soon-to-be-deleted-character out the window I try to transfer as much money and equipment away to my other characters and/or store it for the new character. So I sold all white doffs (except for sci) and transferred the rarer quality doffs via the mailbox. The shared account bank is simply too small for 40-50 doffs, and again, I am unwilling to put money into a broken system.

I am still well below the 100 attachments limit, but I can no longer send my passengers to my other characters.

tldr: YES it is a nerf. NO, I did not abuse the mail system. And YES the new system is broken.

The honorable thing to do would be to apologize, remove the limit, maybe think about other solutions to storage problems (take a good look at WoW's "void storage" long term storage solution), and OFFICIALLY reintroduce the attachment limit in a few months (preferably after you have fixed the inability to delete mail).
  • omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And those of you who were abusing the mail system for free item storage KNEW you were doing something unintended, and thus knew eventually the free ride would come to a stop.

Unintended? Really? How was one "intended" to transfer items between characters? That was the main purpose of item attachments in mail (be it to your or another persons toon) and by the way is the ONLY reason to store white doffs in it. I personally never used mail to "store" anything besides doffs and boffs because the storage limit is CAPPED for individual characters. My main character has MAXIMUM slots, bank, inventory, doffs, you name it. Even account bank and subber slots. NOT ENOUGH for DoFFs and BoFFs, period. You see, it works like this: toon X is in a fleet. X fleet doesn't need doffs right now but toon Y's fleet does. 600 to be exact. It makes more sense to have 600 sci doffs in mail system than anywhere else. Which brings me to point #2....

Lower until what end, 1ec? So now instead of the time consuming process of putting 5 at a time in mail (already a pain), now sell 40 doffs, swap toons, buy 40 doffs. Now you will say the EXCHANGE is being exploited. Give me a break guy, don't let the bean counter skew your logic. This WAS a stealth nerf, no 2 ways about it. Whether it was the sole, expressed, intended purpose of invisible developers to accommodate fleet project requirements is irrelevant. Provide a solution then and don't just stick out your tongue and call us exploiters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
This discussion has been closed.