test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Introducing Arc

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited December 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Arc brings together the best online gaming experiences from Perfect World Entertainment onto one easy-to-use platform.

Learn more about Arc here.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ah, I was wondering if PWE was going to do something like this. Many other F2P companies have a similar all-in-one launcher like this and I've found them nice. I'll download it and check it out in a little bit.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Basically...PW version of steam.

Thanks, but no thanks.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hrm...

So it's basically like steam but for PWE only? Kinda interesting concept. I'll download it, give it a try and give my impressions after I've looked at it.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• polie05polie05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great another Raptr thing. So how am I supposed to play with Steam, Raptr, and now this?
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Ah, I was wondering if PWE was going to do something like this. Many other F2P companies have a similar all-in-one launcher like this and I've found them nice. I'll download it and check it out in a little bit.

Please do! We'd love to hear your feedback.

Also, please note that most features are not available for STO yet, but we hope to be able to offer them in the future!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, it sounds like Steam, but with far fewer features and games. Frankly, there are better things for PWE to spend money on.

By the way, what ever happened to Core Connect integration?
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So how long until this becomes mandatory/the only way to launch STO?
  • atseearratseearr Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting!

Would be cool if this offers an easy way to keep in touch with friends in game, and chat in fleet channels etc.

Setting all of that up in Pidgin isn't the most straight-forward of methods.

[Edit] A bit of feedback:

The app allows users to set a directory, but that seems to be both the download and install directory. It's not clear.

It's great that Arc recognises I've already got certain games installed, and knows where they are - so I don't need to re-install via Arc.

It's also nice how clicking play seems to automatically log me in via the game's launcher - that removes a step.
  • pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thx but no thx.
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Arc brings together the best online gaming experiences from Perfect World Entertainment onto one easy-to-use platform.

Considering none of Cryptic's current MMOs even connect to; or put any achievements up on, or track leveling the PW "CORE" system, what's the point? I like only downloading a new patch when I want to log into a game; and Cryptiic's own launcher already has the capability to show all Cryptic games (if you want that).

Seems like bloatware to me unless you also play any PWE other games. YMMV.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • soverigndeltasoverigndelta Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I use steam wallet functions for in game purchases. Will this new "platform" interrupt this? I don't really want to enter my card details again since most of my transactions are done through steam (my preferred way).
  • nx89nx89 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is (and will remain) optional, right?
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    IF this is a PURELY optional and always optional platform then by all means for the people that want to use it fine.

HOWEVER, for those of us that know the can of worms a platform of this type can unleash, no thank you, not now, not ever.

A village idiot with google and a couple of very easy to find programs can hack a password in minutes, now you're adding the ability to hack one password and gain access to multiple games. Unless you're going to remove the max characters allowed in a password, bad idea.

Integrated Web Browser: Considering PWE/Cryptic's obsolete stance on web browser compatibility this probably means forced IE, which as most everyone knows is one of the LEAST secured web browsers avail.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    nx89 wrote: »
    This is (and will remain) optional, right?

Nothing is changing at this point. Feel free to continue launching directly from the launcher :) If that changes, we'll be sure to communicate it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • erockererocker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In my opinion this is a waste of time, resources and money. It's an added launcher that really adds nothing to my gaming experience... and with other launchers like this out there (most, other than Steam are unpopular) I don't see myself ever bothering to use this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkirk13jkirk13 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I downloaded it and am able to launch Neverwinter but it says that I have to install STO but they are both in the same file. How do I fix this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nx89nx89 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nothing is changing at this point. Feel free to continue launching directly from the launcher :) If that changes, we'll be sure to communicate it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thank you very much for clarifying. Much appreciated. :)
  • soverigndeltasoverigndelta Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Also, please note that most features are not available for STO yet, but we hope to be able to offer them in the future!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Will it affect steam users though? Please advise as it affects financial possibilities within the game.

Thanks
  • spencereldenspencerelden Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like this better if it incorporated a game updater, it's a bit pointless using it when you still have separate launchers for each game. Why would I go in to Arc to launch the game just to have another launcher pop up when I could just use my desktop icon to go straight to the game?

If it automatically updated the game, thereby skipping need for a launcher altogether, I'd like it a LOT more.
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Brandon please I'm begging you do NOT let them make this mandatory. Launch platforms like this take years to develop and even then the best developed ones are much easier to breach than a standard single game launcher.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • forjoatinxanforjoatinxan Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

"At this point"? "If that changes"?

I'm not exactly pleased to read this. The forced transition to a PWE account and the loss of our forums were bad enough. This "launcher" could be perceived by many as a barrier to entry in a game that already has more than its fair share of them.

Consider very carefully before making this mandatory.

-Forjo
    My oldest post (that I can find)
    Former Cryptic User #11424
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Stop the easily abused and unfair auto-silence "feature"!
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Sounds good. I just took a quick look at it so here's some initial/first impression feedback.

-First thought is that it look nice and clean. Not all flashy and right to the point.

-Color scheme is nice and easy on the eyes. I'm shadeblind so colors are always a big deal to me. I have no problems here.

-Being able to change the order of games in my Library is nice. I set STO to the top and now I always see STO related news upon opening Arc.

-The in-game overlay is nice and clean as well. The color scheme for me is a little bit difficult. Having a lighter background with dark text is a bit taxing on my eyes. I prefer a darker background with lighter text. This isn't a major deal though, I can make do with it just fine. Perhaps at some point maybe an option to switch between those two schemes?

-Allows me to clean out my desktop of all the launcher shortcuts to various PWE games. Rather than having one for STO and one for CO, I now just have the single Arc shortcut.

Dislikes:

- Upon launching a game through the Arc launcher it opens up the original game launcher and although it automatically logs me in, I still have to press the Engage button on the old launcher to actually launch the game. This makes Arc seem rather redundant since I have to go through the old launcher anyway. I would remove this step by seeing if you could somehow integrate the launch process into Arc itself rather then just being a portal to the original launcher. As it is now, it really isn't a launcher. It's really just a portal to the other launchers.

-Clicking the "X" makes it minimize to my tray instead of exiting Arc. To close it I have to click on the X and then go down to my tray, right click it, and then select Exit. I find this to be unnecessary and rather irritating as I would like my programs to close with just one step instead of 3.

Since STO isn't hooked up to the other features like Core Connect and the like as you mentioned in your post, I can't comment on those for the time being. I think this can work out very nicely, it just needs a little bit of tweaking. :)
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • kamenridersaswordkamenridersasword Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im gonna stick with Steam, more convenient, has my other games in it and over ll makes the Arc service obsolete. For those without steam this might be handy but for those that already have steam its already upstaged by steam.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So how long until this becomes mandatory/the only way to launch STO?

If it does thats the day i'm out of here for good. I don't want this kind of TRIBBLE on my system, period.
    Nothing is changing at this point. Feel free to continue launching directly from the launcher If that changes, we'll be sure to communicate it.

Gee, that was a concrete statement. I'm not stupid and neither are the people reading this - In other words its most likely going to change at some point. Sooner rather than later I would think
  • gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Congrats.

But here's hoping this doesn't become mandatory.
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • distantworldsdistantworlds Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I do not want yet another steam-alike piece of spyware garbage. Why does every game company now feel they should have an always running background process running on my machine?
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Glad to see time that could have been spent fixing LoR bugs was wasted with this Steam knock-off.

Woe betide you if this becomes mandatory. I have always, and will continue to, launch via Steam due to it's usefulness in both gaming and transactions. I'm very glad you've got something similar. But don't try to force it onto me, or i'm outta here.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • borysthenisborysthenis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow. No. No thank you. Honestly, no. I do not need yet another meaningless framework on my computer. I already play multiple PWE games, all from Cryptic, and I tell you right now if I ever need to use ARC to get to them I will play them less and be less inclined to spend money on any of them. This is not spite, mind. This is my reacting with annoyance to a framework that's unnecessary to my gameplay causing my predisposition to go from 'hey, I like this. Let's buy armor dye' to 'this game? It's okay I guess.'

I know this, at least in part, because all of the places where it is required to go through such a gateway to get to the game I spend less money, even if I like the game. It's not a conscious decision. It's just what it is. Hell, I don't even spend a lot of money on Steam (much less Origin) because I've had seven too many times when I just wanted to play the game on my computer but Steam wanted to be opened and updated before I could dare play Mass Effect 2, and God help me if there was some issue with my password. DLC feels like a chore to me.

And for the record, I like Steam.

(Cue all the folks telling me what a moron I am because I've had trouble with Steam in my life. C'est la vie.)

Seriously. Keep this ridiculous thing optional. Please. Pretty please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I had the ambition to not only go farther than man had gone before,
    but to go as far as it was possible to go"

--Captain James Cook
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eh, I'll stick with Steam, thanks. I want to keep Perfect World junk off my computer as much as possible.