What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Introducing Arc

Comments

• Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I do like the layout and color, just from looking at the pictures, I have to ask one question:

Why?

If you, as reported, have to launch the STO launcher, and then press engage, it seems rather pointless imo. Also, I know from experience that the all in one launchers are memory hogs.

I should know, I played Battlefield 3, wich requires EA's Origin for security/DRM check, and I think it needs to be open whilst playing aswell, but it's been some time since i last played Battlefield 3...

And it should NOT be made mandatory, since as mentioned, these kind of apps are memory hogs, and some have been proven to very suspectible for being TRIBBLE...

Nice concept, but not my cup of tea....
  • Options
    darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Would be nice, if it would work. But CORE Connect does not work with STO, Achievemts not work, Suppot-Button throws error -310.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Meh.

/10char.
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Basically...PW version of steam.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Twice in one day I'm agreeing with you. This is getting scary!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    koihimenakamurakoihimenakamura Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    topset wrote: »
    Twice in one day I'm agreeing with you. This is getting scary!

Yeah. Why are you doing this? We have Steam. We don't need Yet-Another-Clone. Just launch all of your games via that platform. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    greatdggreatdg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm reaaaaally hoping it doesn't become mandatory. Other than Steam, every overlay type thingy I've used (Origin being a prime example) hasn't been... helpful. Browsing the internet in game? How about we just alt-tab to an internet window, that sort of thing. I understand that from a business perspective they're trying to get people to realize they have other games available to try (it's entirely possible that CO and STO and soon NWN have little overlap with their other titles) but at the same time... really hoping it's not mandatory.
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    NCSoft had a launcher like this. They ended up making it mandatory for City of Heroes. If this Arc thing just ends up launching each game's individual launcher, what's the point?
    ...Cryptiic's own launcher already has the capability to show all Cryptic games (if you want that).

Where do you get the Cryptic launcher? I only have the STO launcher.
  • Options
    startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So basically you open one program to open another one? I don't get the point.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • Options
    chrisanslerchrisansler Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Steam is better. I don't need a second community / launcher / store for only 2 or 3 games. The only PWE games I play are the ones made by Cryptic and with Champion's recent complete lack of content and my general indifference for Neverwinter I'm only really playing Star Trek.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Also, if Cryptic's engineers were working on this, I will be very displeased.

Thankfully, it looks like this was more of a PWE thing.
  • Options
    aveimperatoraveimperator Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because Origin was such a huge success...oh wait.

Learn to leave well enough alone.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    Glad to see time that could have been spent fixing LoR bugs was wasted with this Steam knock-off.

PWE is working on this, not Cryptic :) STO's Game Devs are at Cryptic, the same Devs that make the game and work on (and are working on as I type) bug fixes.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    zaniidorzaniidor Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    I have STO and NW installed, he recognizes NW after I installed Arc but not STO, both games are in the cryptic folder as they should be!But other than that, nice new interface.
    But anyway I'm not gonna download STO again just so that arc "finds" it...
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PWE is working on this, not Cryptic :) STO's Game Devs are at Cryptic, the same Devs that make the game and work on (and are working on as I type) bug fixes.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well, be honest, how much did this Arc thingy have to do with the server/network problems with Cryptic games in the past weeks ? ;)
  • Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PWE: "Everyone! Lets Jump on the Steam bandwagon!"

Innocent STO player: "Oh dear god no-no-no-no! *head chopped off by a conveniently low hanging blade*

... This is a terrible idea, really.... What happens when the system breaks(launcher or game communication conflicts that cause the launcher to crash repeatedly or just not work at all) while the game servers remain active, hmm?

The Steam system is a LOT more complicated than anyone realizes for this very reason..

You guys think you have server stability issues now.... Imagine the stability issue of trying to cram not just one game... but SEVERAL games through a single log-in pipe that's hundreds of thousands of players in itself. Now on top of that add the servers needed to sustain JUST THAT pipe... Those are servers that could be used to stabilize not just STO but several of the PWE networks all together...

Creating a single-launch window is a good idea, like communism, or democracy, IN THEORY ONLY. In application these things always fall to pieces or are overrun by corruption.
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well, presumably the server farms are synchroing together. It's still not a good idea.
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, from reading through the thread, even the people who like this thing find it pointless. Really hope PWE listens to that and doesn't make it mandatory, but I know they will. Just hope when they do it actually works for once, rather than trying to use it, it TRIBBLE up and then me having the spend three weeks getting it to work before I can play, which is the most likely scenario with this game in my experience.
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Do these two groups ever interact with each other? If you ever plan to integrate connect core into sto then they would have to at least trade notes. Even if they try to take over the sto launcher and patch server then they will have to go back and forth to make them play nice with each other. While I'm glad cryptic still operates separately for now I'm sure they cannot realistically be completely separate. Any integration takes time so I would be surprised if they still haven't talked after all this time.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    qjunior wrote: »
    Well, be honest, how much did this Arc thingy have to do with the server/network problems with Cryptic games in the past weeks ? ;)

Absolutely none, actually. STO has been available on our Core client (rebranded/ redeisnged as Arc) for a long time now: http://core.perfectworld.com/

As there is not much integration with Arc and STO at this time, Arc just launches the current Cryptic launcher.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

So in other words the people that can't create a stable support page that everyone can access, insist that a direct link doesn't fix a redirect problem (html for dummies fix), and have serious security flaws with the account guard they created are now creating a multi-game platform. Oh yeah and 1 password to access them all. Not to mention these are the same people that thought partnering with Raptr and other "less than shiny" partners is a good idea.

Yeah that inspires a lot of consumer confidence.

Instead of a platform nightmare bound to happen, why not work on your most basic infrastructure that quite frankly needs massive amounts of work first before anything else.

1) Customer support and Support access

2) Sealing breaches in the Account guard (will not list them, but they are there)

3) provide more security by eliminating maximum character restriction on passwords.

4) Increase compatibility with more secure web browsers

5) review partnership principles (IE per Raptr end user you give them permission to monitor your ENTIRE system and activity)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chushachusha Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm, not too enthusiastic about this idea myself. I already have Steam, Origin, and Stardock for various games. I don't think gamers want another springboard to launch cluttering up their desktops.
    Vice Admiral Triela - Proud member of Valhalla's Rising
    ██ ██ U.S.S. Protos Heis ██ ██
    Lieutenant General - Scheherazade - Honorable warrior of Sto'Vo'kor's Rising
    ██ ██ I.K.S. Protos Heis ██ ██
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Brandon,

Please inform your PWE Overlords, that I am not really interested in using this installer unless I am forced to. I am only playing one PWE game: Star Trek Online. I am not interested in any other PWE product (that includes CO and NWO).

If this is PWE Marketing's way of saying "Everyone you will use this, like it or not.", then just get to the point and tell us directly that. Let the Rage persist and we move on. Otherwise tell your PWE Overlords not to bother with this. It'll be better for everyone in the long term.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Absolutely none, actually. STO has been available on our Core client (rebranded/ redeisnged as Arc) for a long time now: http://core.perfectworld.com/

As there is not much integration with Arc and STO at this time, Arc just launches the current Cryptic launcher.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I do have one question. Since arc can log into our launcher for us and bring the old launcher to an engage button does that mean there is a way for anyone to pre-enter a username and password into the launcher for it to use when we open it.
  • Options
    gilineagilinea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As long as it's optional... whatever. If it becomes non-optional, like PWE account merging did, then there's a good chance I'll just walk away from this game. It offers absolutely nothing I'm interested in, and takes up extra space to do it. I've looked at the library of non-Cryptic games from PWE. There is zero chance I will *ever* play any of them.

I did try Perfect World International once. Made one character, spent five minutes in the newbie area fighting with pretty much every single part of the UI, and watching zone chat in revulsion. Logged out, uninstalled, never looked back.
  • Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I think this is nice and a nice idea. I've downloaded and installed and tried to launch STO from Arc. However, when I press "Play", nothing happens. It doesn't even bring up the launcher.

Anyway, this is a minor issue that'll get sorted out soon I'm sure. It would be nice though if at some stage soon, that arc will allow us to bypass the launcher altogether! Typing in my long winded password sometimes gets tedious so it would be really really nice being able to simply launch Arc and click play!

I have my fingers crossed for the future of the platform and it's login integration with STO! ;)
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think this is nice and a nice idea. I've downloaded and installed and tried to launch STO from Arc. However, when I press "Play", nothing happens. It doesn't even bring up the launcher.

Anyway, this is a minor issue that'll get sorted out soon I'm sure. It would be nice though if at some stage soon, that arc will allow us to bypass the launcher altogether! Typing in my long winded password sometimes gets tedious so it would be really really nice being able to simply launch Arc and click play!

I have my fingers crossed for the future of the platform and it's login integration with STO! ;)

Is that before or after you realize in grand LOTR fashion one password to rule them all means google and ten mins or less can devastate every pwe game attached to Arc and every credit card with it?

It's not like we've never seen that happen before with others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kalregarkalregar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tymersto wrote: »
    Brandon,

Please inform your PWE Overlords, than I am not really interested in using this installer unless I am forced to. I am only playing one PWE game: Star Trek Online. I am not interested in any other PWE product (that includes CO and NWO).

If this is PWE Marketing's way of saying "Everyone you will use this, like it or not.", then just get to the point and tell us directly that. Let the Rage persist and we move on. Otherwise tell your PWE Overlords not to bother with this. It'll be better for everyone in the long term.

Thank you for the time...
    He's not going to give us a straight answer. Want to know why?

Because if he said "No, this is not going to be forced on anyone," he would be outright lying. Come on, people; this is PWE we're talking about.

And if he said "Yes, this is going to be forced on everyone in the near future" then people would start leaving the game immediately and PWE would lose out on the money these people would normally spend before the actual implementation of their useless bloatware.

I say take the safe route and stop buying ZEN now, regardless of what Branflakes says. This Arc is useless software, we all know it's going to be forced on us at some point, and we all know it's going to cause more problems than it solves.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Since you're such a nice guy, I choose to believe you.... :):o
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Is that before or after you realize in grand LOTR fashion one password to rule them all means google and ten mins or less can devastate every pwe game attached to Arc and every credit card with it?

You're being kinda paranoid man. I do play CO STO and NW which have always used the same login and password (CO and STO have been together for quite sometime) and not once have had my account TRIBBLE. As long as you use common, password security and sense you'll be fine.
    kalregar wrote: »
    He's not going to give us a straight answer. Want to know why?

Because if he said "No, this is not going to be forced on anyone," he would be outright lying. Come on, people; this is PWE we're talking about.

And if he said "Yes, this is going to be forced on everyone in the near future" then people would start leaving the game immediately and PWE would lose out on the money these people would normally spend before the actual implementation of their useless bloatware.

I say take the safe route and stop buying ZEN now, regardless of what Branflakes says. This Arc is useless software, we all know it's going to be forced on us at some point, and we all know it's going to cause more problems than it solves.
    No, he's not saying yes or no as a solid answer either way because quite frankly, he probably doesn't know. Who knows what the higher up's will say down the road? It's done in TONS of online sites every day where unless they are 10000% certain they won't ever give a solid answer always a "for now" type of response.

They've also been doing these types of answers for quite sometime and have stopped trying to be hard set on an answer (saying yes or no to something that can change down the road) because it always slaps them later on down the road. We've seen it a few times in the past few years on here ;)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »

I've never had a problem with my Steam account and over 80 games on it so I don't get your point? I'm sure PWE will implement similar security and safety measures that Steam has at some stage soon. It's early days.

Oh and besides, for me it's cool, STO is the only PWE/Cryptic game I currently play and have installed.
    askray wrote: »
    You're being kinda paranoid man. I do play CO STO and NW which have always used the same login and password (CO and STO have been together for quite sometime) and not once have had my account TRIBBLE. As long as you use common, password security and sense you'll be fine.

^^And This...

My password is for STO and STO only... It's seriously long and almost like an encryption string. Not an easily hackable password in the slightest! lol