What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Introducing Arc

Comments

• Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have nothing against the Arc software... However, I only play STO and don't really care about the other games. Not meant to be negative when I say "i don't care", i just don't... So, having a whole gaming platform to launch my ONE game is overkill for me.

As long as the use of Arc is optional and will remain as such, I am ok... I am sure a few will find good use of it and so on.

As a side note, I would much prefer that the STO Gateway is developed a lot more in terms of showing skill builds for example or searching other people's page (non-private stuff of course)...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Basically...PW version of steam.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Yeah, I already have Steam and Raptr, and they do all I want, including tracking my hours played.

Plus, considering STO is the only PWE game I play (not into that Superhero or Sword n Sorcery nonsense :P), I don't see the point.
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • Options
    martagonmartagon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So... Like.. With this new launcher will I be able to login into STO and delete mail that's stuck in my inbox? Or will I be able to hand in those Borg Red Alerts?
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    martagon wrote: »
    So... Like.. With this new launcher will I be able to login into STO and delete mail that's stuck in my inbox? Or will I be able to hand in those Borg Red Alerts?
    No, that is being fixed by CRYPTIC STUDIOS development team while this was created by the PWE team.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    martagonmartagon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh.. Okies...
  • Options
    distantworldsdistantworlds Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've never had a problem with my Steam account and over 80 games on it so I don't get your point? I'm sure PWE will implement similar security and safety measures that Steam has at some stage soon. It's early days.
    And other people have had problems. I've had Steam sell me broken games. Literally unplayable due to the DRM. The keys steam provided were forgeries, checked even against the DRM provider's website. Steam support insisted it was a problem with my drivers. I will never buy anything from steam again.
    Oh and besides, for me it's cool, STO is the only PWE/Cryptic game I currently play and have installed.
    And other people believe that they shouldn't have to sign over their computer to a company just to play a video game.

Remember, these contraptions are not created for the benefit of the player, but for the corporation. They are completely about gaining more control of the player's PC and do nothing to improve the player's experience.
  • Options
    ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Valve, EA, Ubisoft now the next ... were does this stop for me was Valve with Steam enough dont need more ...

Will we one day again be able to read and delete ower ingame mail from the Cryptic STO Webside ? Or why is this still now possible after so many days... . When comes the next real Patch with some Bugfixes. And why have the mission in PVE so stupid names sometimes is there someoen hacking Cryptic.
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1 GB of hard space...

Thanks, but no thanks. Whatever perks you hinted at in the blog aren't enough to compensate for the comparatively large quantity of space it'd be taking up.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    askray wrote: »
    You're being kinda paranoid man. I do play CO STO and NW which have always used the same login and password (CO and STO have been together for quite sometime) and not once have had my account TRIBBLE. As long as you use common, password security and sense you'll be fine.

Being someone in their now much younger days that used to hack as easily as people breath and networks much more secure that what Cryptic/PWE is running I can 100% assure you I'm not being "kinda paranoid". That's all long behind me, but the point is I know both sides of the coin.

Before there wasn't much benefit for the average hacker to bother Now on the other hand with this Arc platform the potential benefit to a hacker is going to skyrocket. This isn't being paranoid, this is cold hard fact, and if PWE isn't fully prepared for it all my "doom, gloom and "paranoia" is going to seem like sunshine and rainbows.

I understand the reason for it and it has nothing to do with intuitive user interfaces or social connectivity, it comes down to cold hard marketing. By having one platform to launch all PWE/Cryptic games it is hoped to increased traffic to other games and increase player spending.

Nothing wrong with that, devs need to eat, servers need to be bought (HINT HINT), and Branflakes needs milk money.

IF this Arc remains a PURELY OPTIONAL feature than that's one thing, but if it is something that is going to be mandatory than I think you'll find for a lot of people it will have an adverse effect.

And not to be a smartass, but you just completely contradicted your common sense statement by saying you use the same login and password for multiple games.

And for people saying well I've used Steam, and etc......They haven't exactly been problem free either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And other people have had problems. I've had Steam sell me broken games. Literally unplayable due to the DRM. The keys steam provided were forgeries, checked even against the DRM provider's website. Steam support insisted it was a problem with my drivers. I will never buy anything from steam again.

And other people believe that they shouldn't have to sign over their computer to a company just to play a video game.

Remember, these contraptions are not created for the benefit of the player, but for the corporation. They are completely about gaining more control of the player's PC and do nothing to improve the player's experience.

This is all a little off topic and besides the point. I appreciate that you've had DRM problems with Steam and although I've never had such problems myself with Steam, I'm sorry to hear that you have had.

As I said though, it's a little off topic and nothing really to do with account security and/or Arc.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll stick with launching the STO launcher myself, thanks. I don't need Arc to do it for me.

Only real question is what to do when ("If"- hah!) it becomes mandatory.
  • Options
    captainmikeccaptainmikec Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea no thanks for me too
    i in no way shape or form want this launcher, STO is the only game i play
    "If" it is ever made mandatory, then i will reevaluate playing STO
    i dont need news, updates or sale info, etc for 6 other games i dont play, or to download extra software to play the 1 game i do

as long as it remains optional i dont care, if others want to use it, its up to them
    "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
    -General Chang
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With the sorry state that Cryptic has put Champions online in and Star Trek Online following the exact same path, i'm not playing that many Cryptic games in general, too many things are broken and more are breaking faster than they're being fixed. If they add onop of that a mandatory download then yeah, i can understand why a lot of people will be leaving for good. Origin was a huge waste and i already don't trust Cryptic enough as it is with all the lies they pass around, PWE is even worse for it, so the less they're on my system the better. Especially when the games i DO play arent even compatible with the Arc just tyet, and given that after all this time still aren't compatible with the core connect, this really doesn't give any reason to download it.

Unless this allows me to transfer all zen including stipend zen from CO to STO or NWO than i really couldn't care less. I'm sorry, i just don't. It's a bad idea from a bad company and i want nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With City of Heroes, when NCSoft started requiring their launcher, people figured out ways to launch the client without the NCSoft launcher. Someone should figure out how to do that with STO, just in case.
  • Options
    seraphimghostseraphimghost Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like this better if it incorporated a game updater, it's a bit pointless using it when you still have separate launchers for each game. Why would I go in to Arc to launch the game just to have another launcher pop up when I could just use my desktop icon to go straight to the game?

If it automatically updated the game, thereby skipping need for a launcher altogether, I'd like it a LOT more.

+1
    This; only reason I wont use it.
  • Options
    ofdpt23p13ofdpt23p13 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry, but I don't think i'll be downloading this. Instead of developing programs like this, why don't we start working on Star Trek Online and making it the greatest game that it is supposed to be? More playable content, more events, MORE BUG FIXES!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ofdpt23p13 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I don't think i'll be downloading this. Instead of developing programs like this, why don't we start working on Star Trek Online and making it the greatest game that it is supposed to be? More playable content, more events, MORE BUG FIXES!

This Arc program was developed by PWE, not Cryptic who Develop STO! ;)
  • Options
    storattstoratt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1th. STO do not work white CORE (Total Game Characters: 0)
    2nd.ARC look's good, i am installing game now through it, but i would like to see one feature in it...when i login arc and press play on the game, gameclient automatically start. . .
  • Options
    drliriodrlirio Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey, Cryptic...

Why don't you spend your time and resources doing something useful...? like getting stable servers, bugs fixed, real endgame content (not stupid fill-the-blank Project grind) without timegates....

I will never use Arc if i'm not forced to. And i will only use it to launch this game. Don't loose your time with this.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • Options
    daalagtcdaalagtc Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So installing this now makes it last longer to launch STO?

Logic?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    drlirio wrote: »
    Hey, Cryptic...

Why don't you spend your time and resources doing something useful...? like getting stable servers, bugs fixed, real endgame content (not stupid fill-the-blank Project grind) without timegates....

I will never use Arc if i'm not forced to. And i will only use it to launch this game. Don't loose your time with this.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Again... This Arc platform wasn't developed by Cryptic... It was developed by a separate team under PWE's command!

Why do people continue to get the two confused and not actually read the blog posts? lol
  • Options
    defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If this system were ever to list more than just PWE games it would be CREEPY SPYWARE! What right would PWE have to know what software i have installed? I would be deleting any and all PWE games immediately should this ever be implemented.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting, but not nearly interesting enough. I'll wait to see if Arc provides some incentive, or added benefit to use it.
  • Options
    daharmasterklagdaharmasterklag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Not interested at all. No thank you. :)

• Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please tell me this will never, ever in a million years become a required feature to run Star Trek Online. Being forced to run loaders that then run other loaders used to be considered malware many years ago before Steam fooled a bunch of people into thinking it was a normal, acceptable thing.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not really very interested in this.

I only play STO and CO, so an all in one launcher specifically for PWE games has no merit.
    Especially if I have to reinstall/patch the games from scratch.

To me, it seems as if it's just a Steam clone.
    I'll stick with the real Steam, thank you!

Brutal honesty?

This is just a transperant attempt to get us to notice the other PWE games we haven't really paid attention to.

And in my case, I won't ever play them!

I researched them when PWE first acquired Cryptic and my response was basically, boring games and then I never bothered looking at them again.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hmm jst dont see much point to this if things get better with the quickness I could change my mind.At least it was a quick DL and with that a question will it make PW game quicker to DL and run beter in game?
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's fairly simple from my point of view. If this becomes mandatory, all pwe/cryptic titles will be uninstalled.
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know I'm only one person and my opinion might not count for much, but here goes:

Please do NOT make this mandatory. STO is the only MMO I play so this is of no use to me. But most importantly, I should NOT have to use invasive software to launch the game. That is why I will not use STEAM and why I will not use this. The regular game launcher is just fine for me. If this is made mandatory then I will be forced to stop playing STO. I really don't want to do that, I love STO. I'm saving up for a lifetime subscription, but I am going to hold off pending the outcome of this.

I'm NOT saying you shouldn't implement it, I'm sure there are people who will use it. Just PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T make it mandatory.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    bignutterbignutter Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In all honesty.. I've got Issues with it:

-No Rusty Hearts (a PWE MMO in a DMC style: http://rustyhearts.perfectworld.com/ )
    -Apparently No Cryptic games "mail" or Rusty Hearts mail access.

It feels like a Game Launcher for PWE games (and just those games), while I have not issue with that.. it doesn't really "add" anything, as I use Steam already

The Blog being available in Client is nice.. but not really the thing to keep the program on my PC running.