What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Introducing Arc

Comments

• Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I prefer to have all of my games on one single platform. I don't want a special platform for every couple of games I own. And I dont' see a single advantage it has over steam.
  • Options
    elnorelelnorel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The way I see it, someone has grown out oftheir shoes and thinks they can take flight,... Make some more money.

Not gonna happen with this player base.

ARC is alittle too late.

For it to succeed it needs to offer MORE not less than STEAM.
    Granted people have had problems with STEAM also, but compared to other such platforms, STEAM remains a go to, success, while others fail.

The ONLY thing that makes me use STEAM with STO is the fact I can use my PayPal conveniently with STEAM wallet to purchase ZEN. Thats it.
    And if for some reason I feel boored of STO grind, I can always play my other games in STEAM.

STEAM is successfull because all of that and the fact that acheivements get you some cool ingame items in other games. It connects them.
    And there are a LOT of promotions weekly, and even daily. Realy good deals mind you. Deals you cant get anywhere else. This is BIG.

BIG deals for a modest pocket change.

ARC if you cant beat that, my advice is to not even try.
  • Options
    taylor248taylor248 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So far, PWE and Cryptic have been saving me money lately. I have spent more than a small amount on the game - Vesta 3-pak, Intrepid retrofit, keys, dil, and so forth. However, every time I am ready to pull the trigger on the lifetime sub, stuff happens - server issues, login issues, and on and on and on... If (actually when) this becomes mandatory, I am gone for good. Period. The End...

And this is from a hardcore science, science fiction, and Star Trek (above all else) fan.

Cheers
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I dont use Steam myself, so ARC seems to fit me perfectly (i have only tested on Neverwinter) but I can easily access the forums, zen buying etc)

i did not have to reinstall the games or anything and i can now go through the launcher or arc will take me directly through the launcher itself. so at the moment very pleased.
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My PC gaming experience is 100 percent married to STEAM.

When EA went to their stupid Origin platform and made Origin a requirement for playing new PC games from EA there was one result in my household ... we stopped playing EA games on the PC.

I love STO and want to keep playing, but if anyone at Cryptic or PWE decides that ARC is a requirement and that players cannot continue to launch the game via STEAM ... well, I'll just have to stop playing this game, and stop spending hundreds of dollars every month on STO.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Arc brings together the best online gaming experiences from Perfect World Entertainment onto one easy-to-use platform.

Learn more about Arc here.

I'll look into it, are you able to get stuff from the zen store there?
  • Options
    captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Would never install it. Heck I don't even use Steam. I've bought games and found that they require Steam and never played them. I consider these types of programs as Spyware and a resource hog, I've banned CrypticError from access to the internet. I don't play another PWE game and never will, and as for Cryptic games from my experience of STO, not going to happen.

Benefits from Arc are laughable. News not interested. Billing don't buy Zen any more, blame Cryptic. Browser I've got 3 installed and a tablet, and why would I want to browse when playing a game? Support that's just funny. Connect not interested, I'm not a stalker. Notifications just for ads I bet. Coupons I bet nothing I will want, unless it includes a working bug free game!
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i'm using Steam ...i'm not opposed to new software, but i do not see a need for this... what is the incentive for ME?

does this include a Pidgin / XMPP chat so i can chat outside the game in the in-game channels, without the need to setup an odd 3rd party XMPP Software first?

does this thing include a browser with all the bookmarks to STO related fan-sites (Wiki, Podcasts, News Sites... i doubt my DOffTrekker is supported by it lol *points at signature*? so i need my Browser open anyway)

does it at least update the games? [because STEAM never does]

does it tell me what servers are Online before i load the launcher?

*shrug*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rachelgarrettrachelgarrett Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Another proprietary client in front of STO? What's it, number 4? We have the vanilla patcher that comes with the game, Steam, raptr, and now this one. Sorry, but what should this be good for from a player's point of view? I con only see the upside for PWE in establishing another ad-wall on my desktop. Thanks, but no thanks.

Regards,
    Rachel
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    felderburg wrote: »
    With City of Heroes, when NCSoft started requiring their launcher, people figured out ways to launch the client without the NCSoft launcher. Someone should figure out how to do that with STO, just in case.

Just run GameClient.exe from X/X/X/X/Star Trek Online/Live. No patching workaround, but I accidentally found the above some time ago. Not much use without patching, that's for sure.
    rhoric wrote: »
    Don't know where you get that it takes 1 gig of space. The ARC folder on my computer is ONLY 82 megs

Their own website. :P
    System Requirements:
    Windows XP, Vista, or 7, 512 MB RAM, 1 Ghz or faster processor, 1 GB HD space (recommended)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well buddy it is NOT that much. ARC install file is 8.2 megs and after install it is like 82 megs. Was probably a typo on the site.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The 1GB size likely allows for temporary files and such. More important question is what sort of memory and bandwidth usage are we looking at?
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The 1GB size likely allows for temporary files and such. More important question is what sort of memory and bandwidth usage are we looking at?

anything more than the already needed for game use, is to much.

considering the game itself will be patched over and over increasing in size all without the help of a bloatfile.

I just recently cleared out 10GB of things I actually wanted to keep on my PC, because CO/STO/NW run smother if you have at LEAST 10% of your total HD space, as free space.

every 1KB of space this would require, means 1KB of something I will have to remove, just so CO/STO/NW don't lag all over the place. (and it seems to "recommend" 1GB+..... that's a LOT of files I would have to delete to keep the games from lagging.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The most I have seen for memory usage is just under 150 megs
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Brandon please I'm begging you do NOT let them make this mandatory. Launch platforms like this take years to develop and even then the best developed ones are much easier to breach than a standard single game launcher.

If they make this mandatory I think it will be the final nail in the coffin by PWE for me and I'll just leave the game for good and boycott all Cryptic/PWE games.

I suppose they'll like that, one less KDF player.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    karmapointkarmapoint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Another game hub? :/

Arc looks nice, but anyway, to use Arc I am forced to re-download all PWE games? I have to delete all PWE games under steam or any international located versions of PWE games to take part of Arc features? Arc have any IP block? Arc have any restriction about countries or any other limitation?

:/

In the arc website, I can't see any answer, any F.A.Q. or a proper document with these questions.

Something terrible with Publisher hubs is how you are "forced" to join to in some point to get access with some features or have to buy ingame cash directly.

Aeria games, Sony, EA, Ubisoft and a lot of other publishers have your own game hubs, but to tell the truth, is hard to see how become pratical without giving any free stuff to the players in dialy basis.

Don't take me wrong, but only steam have enough experience, services and features to make any player to use happily without any complain.

The PWE core portal or even Arc don't have any features with RaiderZ, Crypt games or Rusty Hearts now.
    Brasilis Elite Squad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
  • Options
    xathanael#5083 xathanael Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sorry, but this "Arc" platform increases security risks.
    One single hack, and bam, someone loses everything on ALL their games.

Not going to download it, and if it becomes mandatory, my money will be going elsewhere.
  • Options
    hygtkilo98hygtkilo98 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    got it know idea what to do with it:rolleyes:
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Not going to download it, and if it becomes mandatory, my money will be going elsewhere.

Actually, this can already happen. All PWE games share 1 account and password regardless of whether or not you use Arc. That means that if someone gets hold of it, all of your PWE games are compromised even if you don't use Arc.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    NOT WORKING for mac? ahh....
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Actually, this can already happen. All PWE games share 1 account and password regardless of whether or not you use Arc. That means that if someone gets hold of it, all of your PWE games are compromised even if you don't use Arc.

ummm.....no actually that's not correct. you can register with a different username, password and email address. So they don't HAVE to use the same one if you don't want them to. The post you were referring to is right it does increase security risks because arc does require 1 username, 1 password, and entered 1 time to access everything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    ummm.....no actually that's not correct. you can register with a different username, password and email address. So they don't HAVE to use the same one if you don't want them to. The post you were referring to is right it does increase security risks because arc does require 1 username, 1 password, and entered 1 time to access everything.

It does not require only one account. It has an option to remember the account you log in with, but if you leave that option disabled you are free to log in with as many different accounts as you like. There is also an option in the menu to log out and sign in with a different account. If you use one account for all of your PWE games, then all of your games are compromised if someone gets hold of it regardless if you use Arc or not. Having multiple accounts has nothing to do with Arc at all. If you require pictures of the log in screen to show you this, I can provide those for you.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    laro1984laro1984 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And why should someone get another account with a password (he must remind) and another programm with only one game? i dont understand why companys these days are so crazy after useless programms like this? i mean really every puplisher thinks he needs such programm now i have 10 games installed with 8 libery programms?

i only hope one day company learns that such thinks are bad service ... and another point to think about, this dont mean to make illigal copys (really they are bad!), but there is a point where it is easyer to use somethink illigal then legal and if this point is near you do something wrong ... iam nerved from such attempts to make something "better" ...

and it would be much better if you get your servers right and dont patch every day in european prime time so that someone could play till then i have no interest in playing any longer or give you money ...
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nothing is changing at this point. Feel free to continue launching directly from the launcher :)If (when) that changes, we'll be sure to communicate it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Bolded part with slight parenthetical insertion by me is what has me worried...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yep, this would be a good way to keep all intelligent people out of your games for good. These kind of programs are 100% security risk for absolutely no gain whatsoever.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dareau wrote: »
    Bolded part with slight parenthetical insertion by me is what has me worried...

Me too..... :(
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    maddwolfmaddwolf Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I hope that PWE doesn't pull STO from STEAM to add it to this ARC, cause i play STO through STEAM. Leave STO on STEAM where it belongs. People like me that have STO comunity Groups and are dependent on STEAM to play in/with other STO comunity groups. Just sayn'
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I hope this doesn't become mandatory.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2013

? Your account is already tied into all games PWE owns. ARC or not, someone gains access to your account they'll have everything anyways. :confused:
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113