Install Arc
Options

Introducing Arc

Comments

• Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Oh you don't have to download all of the PWE games. It has two sections: one is your Library that lists the game you have installed, and another section listing all of the PWE titles. If you go to the list with all the titles it has an easy install option if you want to play that game. Using myself as an example, right now I only have STO and CO installed. So under my library tab, those are the only two games I see. I also only see news related to those game and not news for all of the other games I don't play. You can even switch around the priority of the games in your library. Right now I have STO set on the top so when I log in the first thing I see is STO and STO related news.

If it made me install every single PWE game there's no way I would use this ever lol.

Something tells me after awhile it will be required to be used. Just like with the Cryptic accounts no longer usable to log into the game and forums.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Running STO and TS is enough of a memory drain on my computer, so no thank you
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,058 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Please do! We'd love to hear your feedback.

Also, please note that most features are not available for STO yet, but we hope to be able to offer them in the future!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Have downloaded Arc and have started using it. Overall I like it. I do have one issue. STO takes longer to load up now. I think that is is the fact that after initialising STO through Arc, the game then kind of initialises through the normal launcher. If you were to replace the existing launcher completely with Arc load times would be quicker.

The real main thing I like overall about Arc, is that the forum can be accessed while in game. At the moment you have to either come out of the game completely or minimuse it.

The news items relating to STO are more clearer and more concise aswell.

Yes please keep it, but it does need to be more like steam etc. ie to download STO you need to initially download Arc in order to progress.
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the friends thing seems cool...IF it could be populated from ingame friends lists....ie. from STO/NW/CO as they all share one database.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Im gonna stick with Steam, more convenient, has my other games in it and over ll makes the Arc service obsolete. For those without steam this might be handy but for those that already have steam its already upstaged by steam.

Steam and STO dont mix with my laptop
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    spearhawk2013spearhawk2013 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    basically this is a good idea however when I installed it the software is a drain on my computer and my fps dropped down to measely 17 fps.

so I wont be using ARC
  • Options
    derbock203derbock203 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    so that "show all games" option in the launcher is kinda useless then eh?
  • Options
    rarmstormrarmstorm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What's the purpouse of that item, to permit chat when all the games are offline due critical server error?
    Instead of loose time with useless thing,that no one want, FIX that damned game!!!!!! :mad::mad:
  • Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My STO already goes through Steam and I'm fine with that.

I don't wanna go through Steam to go through Arc to go through the launcher to get into the game.
  • Options
    chairmanmeowmixchairmanmeowmix Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Steam, Arc... I'm not interested in bloatware.
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rarmstorm wrote: »
    What's the purpouse of that item, to permit chat when all the games are offline due critical server error?
    Instead of loose time with useless thing,that no one want, FIX that damned game!!!!!! :mad::mad:

Yeah rarmstorm, I hear ya. I'm presently sitting here on the forum because STO has completely crashed, yet again. Arc seems to be a pointless effort when bugs and crashes remain. It's kinda like offering us a second taxi company when we can't get to our destination because the bridge is washed out and the money/effort to fix the bridge went into the new taxis; not much help, really.
  • Options
    bigdamnheroes69bigdamnheroes69 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    LISTEN

25 Locks, for the same door, using the same kwy.. IS WAY more secure then one lock for those same door, using the same key.

why?

because... it TAKES TIME TO OPEN THE 24 EXTRA LOCKS, even if they knew it waas the same key, and if they DIDN"T know it was the same key (does 100% of the world know that PWE, is this way or only those that already have accounts? hmm... HHHMMMM......????

I've snipped most of the baseless rant for simplification.

Thanks for showing you have no idea how this stuff works. In order for someone to delete your characters, sell your stuff.. etc.. they need to log into the game...

You know what they need to do to do that with ARC?

There is no difference in the time it takes to log into STO, Neverwinter, CO, etc... by clicking their individual launchers off your desktop, and launching them via ARC (at the moment, ARC is actually a bit slower).

ARC is no more, or less secure then having individual launchers for the games.. it's simply more convenient, and provides a single stop for game related updates/news/etc.. with the additional benefit (for some) of being able to do things like access the game forums while you're in game.. without having to alt-tab or minimize out of game.

@enterprise1701ax: Cryptic didn't code ARC, as has been said multiple times, so the Development time for ARC did not take away from STO.
  • Options
    cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've snipped most of the baseless rant for simplification.

Thanks for showing you have no idea how this stuff works. In order for someone to delete your characters, sell your stuff.. etc.. they need to log into the game...

You know what they need to do to do that with ARC?

There is no difference in the time it takes to log into STO, Neverwinter, CO, etc... by clicking their individual launchers off your desktop, and launching them via ARC (at the moment, ARC is actually a bit slower).

ARC is no more, or less secure then having individual launchers for the games.. it's simply more convenient, and provides a single stop for game related updates/news/etc.. with the additional benefit (for some) of being able to do things like access the game forums while you're in game.. without having to alt-tab or minimize out of game.

@enterprise1701ax: Cryptic didn't code ARC, as has been said multiple times, so the Development time for ARC did not take away from STO.

so you are telling me ARC doesn't have a "remember me" function?

do you even think? maybe PWE will hire you.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    so you are telling me ARC doesn't have a "remember me" function?

do you even think? maybe PWE will hire you.

Considering you were going off on how it made it easier to be TRIBBLE... remember me would be irrelevant. After all 'TRIBBLE' is not someone logging in from your computer.

It's still one password, whether you enter it once on ARC, or once in each launcher..

So please.. explain how a system you've not used (based on your own posts), and have no familiarity with, makes it easier to hack someone's account.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Considering you were going off on how it made it easier to be TRIBBLE... remember me would be irrelevant. After all 'TRIBBLE' is not someone logging in from your computer.

It's still one password, whether you enter it once on ARC, or once in each launcher..

So please.. explain how a system you've not used (based on your own posts), and have no familiarity with, makes it easier to hack someone's account.

NO, you explain why you are agianst it being ONLY optional, instead of REQUIRED...

why the hell are you argueing about people wanting a CHOICE, to not use it?

me and everyone so far that I've seen posting on my side of fence is asking that it "not be required"

you are saying "it's okay, we should use it"
    _________

my stance give you YOUR option AND my option

your stance gives your option and tells everyone else GTFO
    _________

so why are you so hatefull that you want to make everyone use this? is it that you ARE smarter, and already have plans as to how you will hack ARC, and take many accounts?
  • Options
    captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Steam and STO dont mix with my laptop

is it a newer laptop, I'm using an old Toshiba X205 series laptop running now Windows 8 and Steam+STO work like biscuits and gravy.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My only problem with Arc is that its redundant. Even though you sign into the Arc program, you have to use it to launch and sign into "Star Trek: Online".

Steps:
    First, launch and sign into Arc.
    Second, use Arc to launch the STO launcher.
    Third, use the launcher to sign into STO.

Instead of having one program running at once, you will now have a second program running in the background. You have to technically launch and sign into two launchers, so that you can use only one application.

It gets better... If you happen to reinstall "Star trek: Online", you will have to: (1) launch and sign into the Arc program, (2) use Arc to launch the "Star Trek: Online" launcher, (3) use the "Star Trek: Online" laucnher to sign into "STO", (4) "Star Trek: Online" asks you to get a code that was sent to your email, (5) launch and sign into your email account, (6) write the code down, (7) close the email account down, and (8) use the code to activate "Star Trek: Online".

rofl... Arc is a very redundant system.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    NO, you explain why you are agianst it being ONLY optional, instead of REQUIRED...

why the hell are you argueing about people wanting a CHOICE, to not use it?

me and everyone so far that I've seen posting on my side of fence is asking that it "not be required"

you are saying "it's okay, we should use it"
    _________

my stance give you YOUR option AND my option

your stance gives your option and tells everyone else GTFO
    _________

so why are you so hatefull that you want to make everyone use this? is it that you ARE smarter, and already have plans as to how you will hack ARC, and take many accounts?

huh? What?

Now you're just making stuff up. Even more so then before. Not once did I ever say it should be mandatory.

You're the one who claimed it was less secure. You're the one who can't substantiate that claim..

I've been attempting to discuss the 'flaw' in security (as you made it out to be) with you.. Apparently, that discussion didn't go the way you wanted, so you've decided to make up a position for me, on a portion of the topic I've never commented on.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    huh? What?

Now you're just making stuff up. Even more so then before. Not once did I ever say it should be mandatory.

You're the one who claimed it was less secure. You're the one who can't substantiate that claim..

I've been attempting to discuss the 'flaw' in security (as you made it out to be) with you.. Apparently, that discussion didn't go the way you wanted, so you've decided to make up a position for me, on a portion of the topic I've never commented on.

it is a "security risk" in my mind... IDK if anyone else can see this or not.

since I'm a "paranoid" everything is a security risk, it's only a matter of if it's more or less, "risky" than something else.

and yes, "connivance" = higher security risk
    ________

given infinite time, and no "legal" processes against you, you could get into "ANYTHING" even what would be considered "high security"

this example = you own it.. or are the only one left on planet after end of worldlike opening your own house because you left the key inside... even if a police came you could show your ID to prove it's your own place = no legal action.
    _________

given less time, and add legal processes, makes something more sercure, but it still can be stolen/destroyed.
    _________

given these two FACTS:

the "easier/faster" it is to steal/destroy something, (the more covenant it is to get to) the "less secure" it is.

next fact:

if ARC, does make things more "covenant" then it makes them less secure.

next fact:

if ARC doesn't make things more "covenant" then there is ALREADY a more covenant way to do it, and ARC is un-needed.
    _________

summarized*edited for spelling?*:

ether:

ARC is a higher security risk

or

Arc is a waste of time
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the "easier/faster" it is to steal/destroy something, (the more covenant it is to get to) the "less secure" it is.

This is an opinion not fact. Convenience is not less secure.

For example, if you have a laptop that lets you login with a finger print instead of having to type in your password is not less secure. While more convenient then typing in a password, a finger print is pretty secure. The only way this is less secure is if it remembers your password. If you do not have it save your password it is at the same risk of key loggers as any other application.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    it is a "security risk" in my mind... IDK if anyone else can see this or not.

since I'm a "paranoid" everything is a security risk, it's only a matter of if it's more or less, "risky" than something else.

and yes, "connivance" = higher security risk
    ________

Convenience is very much not a security risk.

ARC makes it no easier for a keylogger to grab my password, then the stand alone launcher.

Assuming PWE/Cryptic further integrate STO into ARC, so that ARC no longer has to launch the STO launcher, and can do the updating/client launching itself.. one could argue it makes it harder for a keylogger to grab the password.. as it's not being 'typed' each time, as the ARC client could (it doesn't now, but it could).. send your user name and password as an encrypted string that doesn't appear to correspond to username/password fields. Thus, making ARC more secure & more convenient then a stand alone launcher.

Obviously, the ARC client doesn't do that stuff now (though, it does inject your username/password into the STO launcher), and it's purely conjecture on my part as to future capabilities of the client.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    robdmc wrote: »
    This is an opinion not fact. Convenience is not less secure.

For example, if you have a laptop that lets you login with a finger print instead of having to type in your password is not less secure. While more convenient then typing in a password, a finger print is pretty secure. The only way this is less secure is if it remembers your password. If you do not have it save your password it is at the same risk of key loggers as any other application.

figerprint is more "secure" ONLY because it's harder (takes longer) to obtain a "copy" of it... and would get you in even more "legal processes", then a normal key/pass

AKA, it takes more what boys and Girls? TIME.

it has more what if you are caught? "legal actions"
    ________

ARC will not be a "fingerprint, it would be a mass produced lock, that uses a pass... ONE PASS OPENS THEM ALL, from 1 lock
    ________

a few decades ago, the term that would have been used for "Steam/ARC/Steamclones" would have been "back door"

an easier way to access many things, instead of going to them individually through the "hard route"
    ________

I subit that a "figerprint" is not "easier" than a pass, to obtain... AKA... it's not "convenient" to obtain.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Convenience is very much not a security risk.

ARC makes it no easier for a keylogger to grab my password, then the stand alone launcher.

Assuming PWE/Cryptic further integrate STO into ARC, so that ARC no longer has to launch the STO launcher, and can do the updating/client launching itself.. one could argue it makes it harder for a keylogger to grab the password.. as it's not being 'typed' each time, as the ARC client could (it doesn't now, but it could).. send your user name and password as an encrypted string that doesn't appear to correspond to username/password fields. Thus, making ARC more secure & more convenient then a stand alone launcher.

Obviously, the ARC client doesn't do that stuff now (though, it does inject your username/password into the STO launcher), and it's purely conjecture on my part as to future capabilities of the client.

tell me more about how someone that used a keyloger... knows your pass.

would not find it easier to login through Arc to access your mail/account info/billing info/all games/yada yada

and how the REASON those that like Arc is because it's.... easier to access your mail/account info/billing info/all games/yada yada
    _______

how is it not eaysier to log in 1 hub, to get to everything, then hunting down each game individualy....... OMG now I'm starting to really flip out here (thanks for expanding my damn parinoia further, I take back the "please don't make it mandatory and replace it with)

"BURN IT WITH FIRE!!! ARC MUST DIE!!!" damn even if I don't use ARC it simply being avalable means that anyone that finds my login and pass, can frakk the entire works. THAT"S EVEN IF I DON"T USE ARC MYSELF!!!!

**** I have to go lay down and try to get calm, I am really haveing a damn relapse here.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tell me more about how someone that used a keyloger... knows your pass.

would not find it easier to login through Arc to access your mail/account info/billing info/all games/yada yada

and how the REASON those that like Arc is because it's.... easier to access your mail/account info/billing info/all games/yada yada
    _______

how is it not eaysier to log in 1 hub, to get to everything, then hunting down each game individualy....... OMG now I'm starting to really flip out here (thanks for expanding my damn parinoia further, I take back the "please don't make it mandatory and replace it with)

"BURN IT WITH FIRE!!! ARC MUST DIE!!!" damn even if I don't use ARC it simply being avalable means that anyone that finds my login and pass, can frakk the entire works. THAT"S EVEN IF I DON"T USE ARC MYSELF!!!!

**** I have to go lay down and try to get calm, I am really haveing a damn relapse here.

If my password has been compromised (keylogger, man in the middle attack, I gave it to someone, pick your reason). ARC makes it no easier for them to get into my STO billing information...then the STO website does.

As far as "hunt them down individually" How much hunting do you have to do, to launch a game client?
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I see in the blog, that users will be getting coupons and promos for using Arc, well there is no such thing as a free lunch, if they are giving you something then they are taking something in return and if this is going to be like a lot of these all in one services that installs a peer to peer client on my computer to tap into my bandwidth torrenting games I'm not even playing, then no friggin way.
    I have the links to all of PWE related services handy, I can easily find things now without installing some useless app that sits on my task bar taking up memory, leeching my bandwidth and doing nothing for my gaming experience.
    Aeria Games did this with their Aeria Ignite, this supposed convenience installs Akamai NetSession, a peer to peer client, that starts up whenever you boot the computer and runs all the time whether you are playing their games or not.
    Thank you but not interested and I hope that PWE has the sense to not make the use of this service mandatory, it will more than likely spell the end of my STO gaming.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    If my password has been compromised (keylogger, man in the middle attack, I gave it to someone, pick your reason). ARC makes it no easier for them to get into my STO billing information...then the STO website does.

As far as "hunt them down individually" How much hunting do you have to do, to launch a game client?

IDK, you tell me... does it take much longer to download 25 different launchers, or does it take longer to JUST download ARC?

does it take more time to switch bettween 25 game launchers, and the web account page, or does it take longer to switch between them in ARc?

there is NO winning this

1 of these is true

1) Arc makes access easier
    or
    2) ARC is a waste of time/HD space
    _______

ether answer = ARC should not be implemented.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    I see in the blog, that users will be getting coupons and promos for using Arc, well there is no such thing as a free lunch, if they are giving you something then they are taking something in return and if this is going to be like a lot of these all in one services that installs a peer to peer client on my computer to tap into my bandwidth torrenting games I'm not even playing, then no friggin way.
    I have the links to all of PWE related services handy, I can easily find things now without installing some useless app that sits on my task bar taking up memory, leeching my bandwidth and doing nothing for my gaming experience.
    Aeria Games did this with their Aeria Ignite, this supposed convenience installs Akamai NetSession, a peer to peer client, that starts up whenever you boot the computer and runs all the time whether you are playing their games or not.
    Thank you but not interested and I hope that PWE has the sense to not make the use of this service mandatory, it will more than likely spell the end of my STO gaming.

that "something" will ether be adds, or information... the adds would posably include 3rd party add space rented out, that's on the app...... and you do know, that clicking adds is a security risk.

also I've seen a few youtubes of chat from some things like Steam, where it splashes across screen, interfering with gameplay.... in NW we have to press a buttin to get to the mouse curser... if we have chat windows over our gameply mid fight that means going out of fighting mode, to move the curser, to close said window, unless we all use a makro that spamms esc key, but that would make the damn options window open/close when we are not being spammed at those times.

ARC is simply a bad idea all around, not good for every game/playstyle, and could (if like Steam, cause problems in many places)

.... also since it's been "avalable optionaly" I've noticed a rise in "I've been TRIBBLE postes"

I'm not saying the 2 are linked, heck they can be totaly unrelated, I'm simply saying that ARC is starting to sound a loot like Steam, and I think ARC is a duck.
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pwefail wrote: »
    thx but no thx.

I second the motion. No thank you.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Nothing is changing at this point. Feel free to continue launching directly from the launcher :) If that changes, we'll be sure to communicate it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I think this is a bad idea. I will never accept this type of thing and I know I'm not the only one. Btw, I love what you did with LoR.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    qjunior wrote: »
    Well, be honest, how much did this Arc thingy have to do with the server/network problems with Cryptic games in the past weeks ? ;)

I was thinking the same thing;)
    Dahar Master Qor'aS