test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where'd all the RP go?

Comments

• grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Just out of morbid curiosity , who exactly asked you, or the Mental's , or the Wesley's and the rest to do that ?

So ppl should just "get tough or get out" ?

I know a few RL RP-ers who if presented with that "option" , well they would not even know how to deal with it , as it's so far out of their realm of experience .
    But then again if any of the "moral superiority group" showed up next to them in RL with fire extinguishers ... , well let's just say that the anonymity of the internets offers the Mentals and their friends a great deal of security and protection . :cool:

Real life threats are against the ToS.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • vizh20vizh20 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So it appears to me we're being presented with both sides of an argument on what's killing RP.

a) People busy with LoR, some (hopefully temporary) instancing changes, and general bad behavior among "serious" RPers

b) A single fleet wearing the wrong clothing and using social items.

Side A) Has the circumstantial evidence (the timing of the RP decline, testimony of RPers) on its side, the support of people in this thread who are NOT violating the forum rules and TOS

Side B) Has conspiracy theories about hackers, flagrant abuse of the forum rules and TOS, threats of real world violence, false accusations with proud refusals to give evidence, logical fallacies up the wazoo, declarations that people shouldn't be allowed to wear certain costumes in-game and general insanity.

I think the matter is resolved.
  • bludaggerbludagger Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Every RPer I know just rolls their eyes at the mention of Drozana.
    yeah ignorant ones do, my wife RP there and at DS9, or use to. She is damn good, and yes she had to deal with ERP, but as she told me most of them are the more respectful RPR's and after a brief conversation would move about their own way and she her way. She was more shocked at some that called themselves RPr's who were very bias, judgemental, and most could not RP themselves out of a wet paper bag.

Drozana was the first stop for the Klingons, shame too, there were alot of good folks who did their best to try to make it like that, even some DJ's who did shows there.

You're right, to an extent. People can ignore you if they don't like what you're doing. The function is there, and you have as much right to occupy that space as they do. That being said, don't even try to put up this pretense of victimization. This reputation exists for a reason. Just today, I saw five members killing unsuspecting players orbiting Deep Space Nine, using D'Deridex singularity powers that damage allied targets. The intent to grief other players' experiences is clear, no matter how they spend their time in the game.

In response to the original post, it's mostly moved into private instances like Fleet Starbases and Bridges due to perceived disruptive influences. If you want to roleplay, join a Fleet.
    sorry not a good answer. And they can be victimized if they wish, while a bit dramatic, they do raise a valid point, one you fail to address and just brush off. That is the failure of most of those who call themselves "rp's", they get a set of things in their own little minds and everything else is wrong. There is a TOS for that, doesnt need you, me, or anyone else's help, it is very clear.
    wjeremy16 wrote: »
    Tl;DR

the Rp went into the Grinder. same as everything else

yes, just like the game itself. this is about the most true statement I have read in years of playing this game. well I have not been playing it for almost a year now, since the BS of Cryptic became too much to bear after their economy debacle last year. Many of us old timers left. I still come by and hold hope that they may of learned, and sadly find out nope... just as bad, if not worse, then it was, and simply sigh and move on.

Take care team, and GL with the madness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vizh20 wrote: »
    So wait, wait, hold on...so people who aren't violating any terms of service and are playing the game completely within the rules are trying to hide themselves from screenshots? Even when a simple mouseover or click would still identify them?

I've heard a lot of insane things in this thread, but this has to rank in the top 3.

Attempting to crash the Game is not "within the rules"
    and the balloon guns are KNOWN to crash the game
    Skeving is griefing under all circumstances

And the screenshots of thirty idiots can not have mouse overs
    but any fleet that does not discipline or expel griefers should be disbanded

so a few other proposals
    Disable all non uniform costumes in esd
    Disable ALL weapons all skev items etc in esd , ds9 and so on

Disable all zone to zone chat

and so on
    Live long and Prosper
    edited May 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Attempting to crash the Game is not "within the rules"
    and the balloon guns are KNOWN to crash the game
    Skeving is griefing under all circumstances

And the screenshots of thirty idiots can not have mouse overs
    but any fleet that does not discipline or expel griefers should be disbanded

so a few other proposals
    Disable all non uniform costumes in esd
    Disable ALL weapons all skev items etc in esd , ds9 and so on

Disable all zone to zone chat

and so on

Crashing the game? Seriously? Crashing the game? Thirty "idiots"? (oh look, another TOS violation) Known issue? Known to whom? I haven't seen it. Can you provide documentation on this issue? Perhaps a link to a support thread with Cryptic confirmation? Or are you just making up more conspiracy theories to justify your own very, very narrow idea of what people should be allowed to do?

Why should non uniform costumes be disabled? Not everyone wants to wear the uniforms. Some people like roleplaying as pirates, or diplomats, or technicians in EV suits. What makes their RP something to be banned in the service of your own?

Why is your entitled, childish demand to control everyone else, your totalitarian desire to have everyone serve you worth anything? What about you makes you special? You're just another player. One of a million accounts on here. What you want, what you desire, what you demand is completely out of balance with your importance.

Edit: Also, I see more vague talk of "trolling and griefing", this time with the completely insane suggestion that fleets should be policed and disbanded. Who would decide what is or is not griefing? You? Oh wait, we already have people who decide, they're called GMs, and they've decided that none of these apparent "violations" are against the rules. More evidence that the problem here isn't a single fleet engaging in light hearted roleplay, but a small contingent of angry, hateful people who claim possession of the game out of what is almost assuredly the effects of a personality disorder.
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They have bought most, if not all, bug ships by the way :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI8rvD_uM0U
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Crashing the game?

yes
    skev is proven to crash the game due to too many visuals
    Seriously? Crashing the game?

drops the frame rate til it stalls
    Thirty "idiots"? (oh look, another TOS violation)

hardly
    Known issue? Known to whom? I haven't seen it.

then you have a high end computer or VERY low graphic settings
    #
    Can you provide documentation on this issue?

ask anyone on a slower computer about this issue
    Perhaps a link to a support thread with Cryptic confirmation? Or are you just making up more conspiracy theories to justify your own very, very narrow idea of what people should be allowed to do?

play ANY high spam mission and watch this happen

Why should non uniform costumes be disabled?

to stop deliberate misbehaviour
    Not everyone wants to wear the uniforms. Some people like roleplaying as pirates, or diplomats, or technicians in EV suits. What makes their RP something to be banned in the service of your own?

Friend Technicians wear sierra uniform in engineering colours
    no one wears an EV suit indoors unless its to annoy
    And im not exactly a RPer
    I just get fed up with watching people quit because someone pestered them for two hours

Why is your entitled, childish demand to control everyone else, your totalitarian desire to have everyone serve you worth anything?

I assume you also hate the police ??
    The courts ?
    your government??
    Rules exist to protect people
    What about you makes you special? You're just another player. One of a million accounts on here. What you want, what you desire, what you demand is completely out of balance with your importance.

And yet I am worth as much as ANYONE else and more than griefers

Edit: Also, I see more vague talk of "trolling and griefing", this time with the completely insane suggestion that fleets should be policed and disbanded.

in some other games "guilds" have been disbanded and in one case all 400 linked accounts were banned at once
    Who would decide what is or is not griefing?

Cryptic and the community
    You? Oh wait, we already have people who decide, they're called GMs, and they've decided that none of these apparent "violations" are against the rules.

actually in many cases they decide they ARE against the rules
    More evidence that the problem here isn't a single fleet engaging in light hearted roleplay, but a small contingent of angry, hateful people who claim possession of the game out of what is almost assuredly the effects of a personality disorder.

at least 4 linked fleets out to provoke insult abuse and drive away anyone who isn't one of them

Especially the young and women

and all im asking is it be made more difficult to abuse these poor kids who are being chased out of the game
    Live long and Prosper
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited May 2013

*SNIP* ask anyone on a slower computer about this issue

Sorry to cut you short, but once again you have just pulled stuff out of out of thin air, if you are going to make a statement and assert its true then you need to back it up with some evidence.

Every child, trickster, and perpetual motion inventor knows this age old trick, and its pretty juvenile.

Same goes for the rest of your post, you make accusations without a shred of evidence.
    edited May 2013
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Sorry to cut you short, but once again you have just pulled stuff out of out of thin air, if you are going to make a statement and assert its true then you need to back it up with some evidence.

Every child, trickster, and perpetual motion inventor knows this age old trick, and its pretty juvenile.

Same goes for the rest of your post, you make accusations without a shred of evidence.

So thats a confession then??

As to evidence look on the websites of the fleets involved they freely admit to existing purely to harrass actual players
    its not a secret

nor is the frame rate problem caused by too many objects and too much skev

you only have to prove what is not common knowledge

for example you do not have to prove the existance of air
    Live long and Prosper
    edited May 2013
    I'm seeing more "Weasel Words" like "everyone knows" and the like. The lies continue. I've got a terrible laptop and reasonable but not minimal graphics settings. The balloons crash nothing. Also, say you're on a Gateway 2000 from Buck-a-Day and it does in fact slow down, there's a difference between "framerate slowdown" and "crash the game". You're seriously exaggerating to the point of pure dishonesty. I suppose space combat with a million different effects going on at the same time is griefing too, by your books. But the point stands that I asked for cryptic documentation and you gave me nothing but handwaving repetitions of your accusations and provided no evidence that an exploit was occurring. It's quite clear you're lying to serve your own agenda.

How exactly would disabling costumes prevent bad behavior? It seems to me like just more attempts to control environments to serve yourself. I wonder what banning certain modes of dress because you dislike a class of people would be classified as....

So you're declaring yourself the police, the courts and the government? We have that here and it's called Cryptic. Not a single Fleet member has been banned in a very very long time, so clearly the GMs condone their activities.

You declare people "griefers" without evidence. Perhaps your self importance is due to the fact that you can declare anyone less important than you at any time in your own addled mind.

Nobody is being abused by these Fleets. The only abuse I see is their detractors resorting to schoolyard name calling and threats of violence.
    edited May 2013
    So thats a confession then??

As to evidence look on the websites of the fleets involved they freely admit to existing purely to harrass actual players
    its not a secret

nor is the frame rate problem caused by too many objects and too much skev

you only have to prove what is not common knowledge

for example you do not have to prove the existance of air

A confession to what? (have NO idea what you are talking about here)

Again you have stated something is true and yet refuse to provide the evidence, instead you want me to go looking for it. If you have it, show it to me!

If its 'common knowledge' why dont I and many others in this thread know if it?

Again, this is the typical diatribe put on by snake oil sellers and perpetual motion inventors. They can never back up what they say.
    edited May 2013
    putting everyone in uniforms clears up both problems

no more stripper outfits no more bullying
    uniforms are to make everyone look the same

And no im not the police or the courts
    but without law we are nothing

as to snake oil sellers and perpetual motion men
    they are closer to you than me

i am saying make your own observations

but EVERYONE knows the frame rate can be a problem and that the only reason for the balloons is to grief
    Live long and Prosper
    edited May 2013

*SNIP* i am saying make your own observations

So in essence you have no proof, no evidence and you feel its acceptable to make accusations. I see who the real bully is here.

Thank you for clarifying.
    edited May 2013

And no im not the police or the courts
    but without law we are nothing

as to snake oil sellers and perpetual motion men
    they are closer to you than me

i am saying make your own observations

but EVERYONE knows the frame rate can be a problem and that the only reason for the balloons is to grief

How would you tell fleets apart then, or even (as you call it) "griefers", should they wear a separate outfit so they can be spotted and avoided? Perhaps a specific insignia on their uniform?
  • xsilvermanxxsilvermanx Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just a question: I did not read the entire thread because I don't have so much time right now. Is there anyone interested in doing RP on a larger scale? Asking because what is the sence of discussing a topic when you are not interested in doing it at all, something I couldn't catch from the discussion on the last 2 pages.
    Greetings
    Silverman
    edited May 2013
    vizh20 wrote: »
    How would you tell fleets apart then, or even (as you call it) "griefers", should they wear a separate outfit so they can be spotted and avoided? Perhaps a specific insignia on their uniform?

All the Valid fleets have fleet emblems
    perhaps we could have one instance of drozana specifically for people in EV suits (one that has no atmosphere)
    Live long and Prosper
    edited May 2013
    All the Valid fleets have fleet emblems
    perhaps we could have one instance of drozana specifically for people in EV suits (one that has no atmosphere)

Interesting plan. You whould have a special costume for the fleets you dislike, and a separate instance for them, one might say they'd be "Concentrated" there.
  • amedea66amedea66 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013

So when does it get to the point where only certain uniforms are allowed, since by your phrasing choice also removes all forms of civilian/merc clothing? There's a lot of the available uniforms I don't like the look of but according to these sorts of statements, I'd have to go along with whatever choice gets made for whatever arbitrary reason. And for the discussed reasons of why RP is in decline at this point, dictating that everyone's only allowed a particular uniform choice would pretty much start hammering the figurative nails in the RP coffin.

Sorry, not happening, especially when you figure how much zen and lobi people have already shelled out for certain clothing choices.
    edited May 2013
    amedea66 wrote: »
    So when does it get to the point where only certain uniforms are allowed, since by your phrasing choice also removes all forms of civilian/merc clothing? .

It's clear that he has no interest in logic. What he wants is what HE wants, and when does he want it? NOW.

If he had his way this game would be beige and nobody would say anything that he disagree's with. I'm sure this guy is a barrel of laugh's when he 'roleplays'.

I recommend he reads 1984 or watches the film 'Brazil. Perhaps then he will realize just how stiffling his ideas are.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    obvious troll is obvious...and trollvax is even more obvious. you are just feeding the troll here.

stick to the topic and stop feeding the trollvax
    Go pro or go home
    edited May 2013
    And there we have it Final confirmation that im 100% right
    (as soon as he calls me a troll it means I am right because he only calls me that when I am)

Im not saying uniforms EVERYWHERE

for example risa should be off duty or swim suits only
    but ESD is a military base not party central
    Live long and Prosper
    edited May 2013

And the delusion comes full circle. I'm still waiting for you to produce some kind of proof to back up your statements.
  • marikaoniki1marikaoniki1 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    (as soon as he calls me a troll it means I am right because he only calls me that when I am)

Im not saying uniforms EVERYWHERE

for example risa should be off duty or swim suits only
    but ESD is a military base not party central

And here we have final confirmation of trolling! Thanks for playing everyone, grab a door-prize on the way out!
    edited May 2013
    well one called a troll (4th law of internet "you only use the word Troll or TRIBBLE if you have lost")
    Secondly the fleet in question DENYS it (and given their rep thats better than 400 eye witnesses)
    Then we have the video evidence earlier in this thread
    Plus of course Im not making specific accusations im stating a FACT
    you can lag the game to a halt with skev

As to my suggestion to limit some items from social areas there is an alternative

private instances
    where people can role play without being gang jumped
    and another were people can dress in EV suits and play at firemen

why not simply run the mission with the fires??

I do not "roleplay" in the sense you mean anyway
    My "roleplay" is entirely silent and internal
    so for example my Romulan thinks and acts as a Romulan

Get it yet??

as to the claim of "delusion" you do realise that actually IS defamation
    and of course if you hold a degree in psychology grounds for being struck off
    and if you don't grounds for regarding you as a meeper (slang term for person who gives unfounded and or untrained medical opinions)
    Live long and Prosper
    edited May 2013
    well one called a troll (4th law of internet "you only use the word Troll or TRIBBLE if you have lost")
    Secondly the fleet in question DENYS it (and given their rep thats better than 400 eye witnesses)

As to my suggestion to limit some items from social areas there is an alternative

private instances
    where people can role play without being gang jumped
    and another were people can dress in EV suits and play at firemen

why not simply run the mission with the fires??

I do not "roleplay" in the sense you mean anyway
    My "roleplay" is entirely silent and internal
    so for example my Romulan thinks and acts as a Romulan

Get it yet??

as to the claim of "delusion" you do realise that actually IS defamation
    and of course if you hold a degree in psychology grounds for being struck off
    and if you don't grounds for regarding you as a meeper

I decided to post your diatribe in full this time. I see it is completely lacking in any kind of evidence. Whats the matter, don't you have it?

Link to the video, SHOW me exactly where things happend that where not allowed to happen.

Oh the video you mentioned? Cryptic has no problem, watch it until the end, and they even give thanks to the Gm who attended!
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Except that it won't help .
    The Mentals and their sad ilk will still troll (it's what they do) , with some of them being fueled by notions of "it's for the greater good" or some other pseudo moralistic nonsense .

I'm not sure if these ppl are Trekkies who managed to learn absolutely nothing about the live & let live attitude presented in Trek , or they are just "Gamers" who float from game to game and rejoice at causing misery to other players .

To be honest , I don't care who they are .
    Scummy and cowardly behavior that is not tolerated in RL is their calling card , and I am quite amused by the moral high ground some of them seem to take to justify their abnormal behavior .
    edited May 2013
    there are several links already in this thread

and ALL harassment is against the rules

which part of that do you not get?

Imagine there you are sitting quietly in the bar discussing how you will handle the new STF
    suddenly a Huge Gorn comes up and starts doing things to wind you up??

when you ask him to stop spamming the space and chat he says "no im not breaking any rules"

he is
    He just thinks he isn't because he has seen others get away with worse

as soon as someone tells you you are making them uncomfortable you stop

or you actually ARE breaking the rules
    (as I understand them)
    Live long and Prosper
    edited May 2013
    there are several links already in this thread

Ok post them, post comprehensive evidence.

What, you wont?
  • marikaoniki1marikaoniki1 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You... Do realize that the so-called "laws of the internet" are not, in fact, actual laws, correct? You can have a serious discussion and bring up TRIBBLE and Hitler and not automatically forfeit a debate, and can call someone a troll when they're being one.

And you can lag a person's computer pretty badly with stuff like SKEV, but that's because it's extra stuff for your computer to render. It's not something that'll crash the actual server, to the best of my knowledge.
    edited May 2013
    So 40 of you can report me for SPAM?
    No thanks

the links are THERE
    if you can't see them perhaps you should see an optical specialist or actually read the thread

Happily when new internet regulations for the USA come into force (next year)
    this will mostly stop

as it will then be an actual offence to racially , sexually or socially target people in an online environment

what will you do then?
    Ask the FBI for the link?
    Live long and Prosper