test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (May 31, 2013) [Complete!]

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online tomorrow, Friday, May 31st, at 7AM PDT (click here to view in your timezone) for maintenance. We expect this maintenance to only last for 1.5 hours. The test server may also be unavailable during this time.

There are no patch notes for this maintenance other than "Server stability updates."

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    borgressistanceborgressistance Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    uhmm.... how to put this.... again no patch note's but "server stability improvements"and another day in the row with downtime?

sorry to say, but people loose there patience,and like to see repairs of the B-U-G-S.

but good luck,dont break anymore plz
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Things have been 'interesting' (to say the least) the last week or so... Huh Bran...?

I hope the folks actually working on the problem, are buying you lotsa stuff to eat and drink...

Being Their 'Front-man' sucks big time!
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    milen93milen93 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do some bugfixes in the game's code. This might improve the server stability :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    milen93 wrote: »

I doubt any of the BUGS we see in the game are the actual problem...

This seems more like something major broke, and They are having a truly God-awful time, trying to figure out just what it is.

BranFlakes...

You have my heart-felt condolences as to all the TRIBBLE You've had to put up with so far...

Thank You for Your perseverance in the face of something You have absolutely no control over.

;)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    ramos40kramos40k Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    C'mon guys! Give us some info about what is goin on! Everyday you do server stabilty maintenance, but its not getting stable. I love this game despite its limitations, bugs, lots of errors. Shut down the servers for a couple of days, and fix the bugs. It would be better than these everyday downtimes (allways in EU prime time....).
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Stability maintenance IS doing something at least. I've had better connectivity this past week, but compared to year-round server performance, it's not an improvement.
  • Options
    bitovabitova Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be honest a more detailed explanation of the problem(s) being encountered would probably silence a lot of the complaints and allow for a more understanding response from all players
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is getting to the point of absurdity. In any other mmo company they would have started having serious talking to's to the network techs at this point. This isn't normal, it isn't routine and it clearly isn't anything remotely resembling actually trying to fix the problem.

Seriously, take the servers down and keep them down until you figure out what is wrong with the server and fix it. You're already showing a very low competency due to having launched the expansion - which you knew would bring thousands of people flocking to the server, when the server was already unstable and having serious issues in the weeks prior to the release.

Its not a complicated concept, you're doing more damage to the community by these ups and downs with the server than you would if you just said 'this is the problem, we're taking the servers offline for x number of days until its fixed'

This does not breed faith, good word of mouth or good opinions of a company, in customers. The fact that you're being very tight lipped about it just makes it worse, and, taken with these near daily maintenance outages, starts to imply that something is seriously wrong with the server infrastructure.
  • Options
    dramausdramaus Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bitova wrote: »
    To be honest a more detailed explanation of the problem(s) being encountered would probably silence a lot of the complaints and allow for a more understanding response from all players

This sums up what I was going to say. We just want to know what's happening. Of course, there will still be those who expect perfection for nothing.
  • Options
    firefox1afirefox1a Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I want to know when the damned mail bug will be fixed. I have mail I need to delete.
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    firefox1a wrote: »
    I want to know when the damned mail bug will be fixed. I have mail I need to delete.

Even if they fix it for me its to late because I trade alot and it will take 100000 years to delete all mails one by one.

as for every 2 minutes maintenance ...just lol .
  • Options
    memadmaxmemadmax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ignore the whiners and trolls.
    You guys are doing a great job, keep up the good work.
    I would buy you all pizza and sodas but...
    heh =D
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    firefox1a wrote: »

We are working on a fix for it (along with many other fixes for other bugs), and plan to have it out as soon as possible. More information in tomorrow's Ask Cryptic article :)
    memadmax wrote: »
    Ignore the whiners and trolls.
    You guys are doing a great job, keep up the good work.
    I would buy you all pizza and sodas but...
    heh =D

Thanks for the support :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    dennizenxdennizenx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so, hows the diareeah ?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Then maybe Bran and the Dev's could toss a little bit of heart-felt condolence to the players who put up with their TRIBBLE patches and show stopping bugs. Mainly to the ones who can't log on anymore.

Actually, Bran has said Thank You for Your Patience in just about every post since last week.

To what extent that fulfills each players satisfaction level, is up to each player.

Personally, I feel ok with this since BranFlakes has absolutely no control over what or how the game gets fixed...

He's the poor soul that has to put his neck on-the-line on a daily basis for us folks in the forums to hack at.

I'm grateful He cares enough, to have put up with our TRIBBLE for this long.
  • Options
    mrjackhammermrjackhammer Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good job Cryptic,

I'll take random downtimes over a broken server :)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    milen93 wrote: »

there is a large bug fix coming, according to branflakes its coming "soon". was around for yesterday's event but didnt join in when he mentioned it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    sabouma1979sabouma1979 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bitova wrote: »

You took the words right out of my mouth...

Come on guys, this is becoming laughable...
  • Options
    aussie276aussie276 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What do you mean server stability issues. For some time preceding LoR release I was having massive lag and drops from Australia. I had to use the US STO proxy to get any where near usable gameplay. Ever since LoR it has been perfect without going through the proxy. Server stability has improved since LoR from what I can tell.
  • Options
    ototo999ototo999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As someone previously said, this just arrive in the point of "absurd"
    We are working on a fix for it (along with many other fixes for other bugs), and plan to have it out as soon as possible. More information in tomorrow's Ask Cryptic article :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks to you for ignore ALL the rest of the post in the thread and dont give YOUR COMUNITY an explanation of whats going on.

Keep that good job, u are doing great!!

(Irony mode off)

Now seriously:

*If u are getting the servers down to test if ur bug fixes work, awesome, u should have done previously to the release of the patch, but better late than never, u actually will get a big applause of the people, cause is the only reason we can fully understand.

*If u are getting them down to reset game load; buy a new server, get the game down 24-48 hours and stop doing this, in the end will be cheaper than loosing customers.

*If u getting them down cause ur mother-company dont give u space, show them again the numbers. Years/Customers this is probably a really profiteable game.

*Etc...

Please, dont ignore the people of ur community, many good games have gone down cause of that, next to their companies.

Edit: I just want to add that al the above is said cause i care for the game, is a great game, and u are killing it in a way that is simply horrible in many ways, i can swear you that, as i stopped playing EA games for a think like this, ignoring community, i will never play a PWE game again if i leave this one, cause i have the same feeling i had, and is simply not logical that i enrage for a thing that should be funny.
  • Options
    elqannaelqanna Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm wondering if this will fix ALL of the sudden disconnects, major lag issues, and server not responding, screen freezes, that I am now experiencing in the game, since the LoR launch. I upgraded to a 560Ti from a 9800GTX+, that ran the game very smoothly. Now i can barely even walk in a open area. buttons, menu's, and the like take for ever to respond to being clicked. Checked out my ISP, and it's not them, my PC, or my equipment ( modem/router) as All have passed numerous tests in trying to resolve this issue... not holding my breathe !!!!
  • Options
    foorgedfoorged Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't believe that the team is trying to haunt us like the ghost of the season patch.

Love the new stuff and hate downtime like this to ruin the fun but I don't think anyone is happy with it.
  • Options
    thowasthowas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not the one who usually complains when it comes to STO, for a free MMO it is not so bad.
    Usually...
    We will be bringing down Star Trek Online tomorrow, Friday, May 31st, at 7AM PDT (click here to view in your timezone) for maintenance.
    But this has become a daylie occurance now.
    A MMO that has this much down time is a MMO that looses lot's of money.
    It was the same with the last maintenance, no patch, but it still patched over 160mb after the maintenance.
    So the stability is not a Server problem is it, but a coding problem, right Bran?

Also, everytime after the patching/maintenance there are rubberbanding, a relogging usually fixes this.
    Same problems as before LoR release still exists in the game, which you guys in the cryptic team should have solved before LoR was released.

Now you probably have 2 year old coding in the game that is creating this "hickup" which you just keep layering over for every patch that fixes this and that in the game.

Now it's time to prioritize your patch/maintenance and performance for cleaning out these old coding bugs that still exists in the game.
    Put everything else on the backlog for once in your life and fix this!

And damn you broke human boffs!
    Now they are just as useless as Efficient boffs :-D

Good Luck Guys!
  • Options
    qrtrmstrqrtrmstr Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know about everyone else, but I sincerely feel bad for Bran. He sticks his neck out each day and says; and I quote "Fixed! See you in game." Now, I'm certain he's being told that it's fixed, and clearly it's NOT fixed. As I posted on FB (since more updates go there than here) this really is doing so much damage. I know of lifetime members who still can't log on. I have personally watched my (formerly) active fleet with over a dozen lifetime members (myself included) just give up playing. You guys are ruining this game for everyone. Sure, we had our issues when it was just Cryptic, and maybe it's just a coincidence that the issues have gotten a lot worse since PWE became involved, but whatever the problem is, it has gotten A LOT WORSE. I mean, there are Microsoft coders in the forums talking about bad code bleeding memory and creating huge logs that are causing all of this server lag...and perhaps that's that the problem is....but whatever it is, this is ridiculous, and it's gone on long enough. The devs have show that they're incompetent and unable to correct the issues. It's time to start looking for new coders, or new management, or new everything. The stability issues have been going on for weeks if not months....weeks leading up to LoR's launch were riddled full of down time. Since launch it's been more of the same. Silver players have got very little invested and not much ground to stand on, but the gold and lifetime players, we have every right to be upset now, because this is NOT normal, no other MMO has had this much trouble. I have played many, even CoH/CoV which Cryptic was responsible for and we NEVER had issues like this. WoW doesn't have issues like this. SW doesn't have issues like this....hell even Maxis/EA got the new SimCity worked out....WTF is your guys' problem? Are you incompetent? Or is this your way of eventually dumping the game? Cause you're doing a bang up job at pissing off everybody and losing players again.

NO, SHUTTING DOWN THE SERVERS EVERYDAY IS NOT NORMAL!!!! No other MMO I'm history had had this many problems for this long. Are you going for an award? The most incompetent developers in history award?

I'm done with my soap box...just fix it...fix it a month ago already...enough is enough...

And Bran....I would stop using the word "fixed" until you know for certain that it's ACTUALLY fixed....just a suggestion.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In what universe does stabilizing a server require me to download the same 100 meg of internal reference files 5 times? Or is it six now, I've lost count.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

A week and a half later you are still "working on a fix".

You guys inspire the greatest bit of confidence in the community. Keep up the awesome work.
  • Options
    oleksandr86oleksandr86 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For this reason, I do not want to buy gold or lifetime subscription. What to pay? For position 18248/22418? For disabled server? For bugs in game?
  • Options
    pupibirdpupibird Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With all repect for the wonderful work you guys do,
    LOR is nice, but I start to feel like an idiot that I
    purchased this legacy pack.

Took my 2 weeks anual leave for the release and
    most of the time I can't play!

Will be back to work on monday and wish you
    good luck with your servers'n stuff!:(
  • Options
    vincentlplvincentlpl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess Cryptic and perfect world should understand that most of us on STO are also teckies.
    We are technically incline and don't respond well to single one liners about maintenance like these. Explain a bit more for us to understand and appreciate what is being done. Keeping us in the dark will hurt the relationship.

Cheers,
    vlim4
    Cheers,
    Vlim4
This discussion has been closed.