What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (May 31, 2013) [Complete!]

Comments

• Options
    richarddoverricharddover Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh, look... T-shirts and snarky comments.
    I love how we have a huge number of people who obviosly know what exactly is wrong, but offer no help in fixing the problem.

What I see is an involved Dev team doing their damned best to get all the issues worked out, and if that means one or two hours of downtime every day untill it gets solved, then I am good with that.
    STO, imho, is hands down the best MMO I've played. It's the only one that managed to keep my interest. And they continue to have my support.

So, Bran, and the rest of you guys there.... Great job. Keep up the good work. ;)
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,023 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    memadmax wrote: »
    Ignore the whiners and trolls.
    You guys are doing a great job, keep up the good work.
    I would buy you all pizza and sodas but...
    heh =D

I'm with you and back you 100% with your comment. The players who are constantly on Brans back for this or that do not consider that the work that needs to be done is as frustrating for him (and the devs) too. They only have one pair of hands, and there is only so many hours in a day.

For me the bugs that are currently in game are work aroundable and are of no major consequence to me.

Appreciate Brandon and the devs guys and gals. Brandon a a truely ace community leader who should be respected.
  • Options
    coldbeer72coldbeer72 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aussie276 wrote: »
    What do you mean server stability issues. For some time preceding LoR release I was having massive lag and drops from Australia. I had to use the US STO proxy to get any where near usable gameplay. Ever since LoR it has been perfect without going through the proxy. Server stability has improved since LoR from what I can tell.

I did question this in the last run of maintenance threads, as I am also is OZ and have for the most part had no issues( aside from a dead laptop) with logging in or playing the game whatsoever( though in saying that today has been a bit laggy), is it more prevalent in some time zones than others?
  • Options
    romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a feeling that Branflakes is gettin just as sick of this as we are, for entirely different reasons. As the voice of a corporation it's his job to go and break the bad news. I've slated them so often but I think that the anger needs directing behind him now. He is likely in a catch 22 position... he can't tell the programmers what to do, they tell him whats being done and it's his job to tell us in the easiiest, most non damaging way possible.

My guess is that he receives an email saying 'We will be bringing down the shard for xxxxxxxxxxxx at xx:xx.' his job is to then convey that message to the rest of us... No doubt he is getting pretty damned embarassed at constantly having to cover up for his 'colleagues'.

Maybe (and I include myself in this) we should just direct our anger away from the person who is PAID to make PWE look and sound good and engage brains. If he was to say 'They are aware the servers are TRIBBLE, they really won't touch anything in the game, they just want as many people to come on board...money before quality' then he wouldn't be in the job for long.

**** rolls downhill...
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not great work.

There's never been an online game in history that requires people to repeatedly incinerate 100 meg a day just to log on because the server went down.

It doesn't take a master programmer to work that out.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After yesterdays maintenance, I lost server connection after 3 minutes, which was great to see that you are making headway. As the day before it was 2 minutes.

So I hope I get 4 minutes after todays down time...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • Options
    redpsirenredpsiren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Once again I must quote the great Montgomery Scott:

"Do you mind a little advice? Starship captains are like children. They want everything right now and they want it their way. But the secret is to give them only what they need, not what they want."
    -end quote

Honestly, if it weren't for the server downtimes I'd have had little time to shower or sleep or eat or go outside this last week. ;) Keep up the good work folks.
  • Options
    eagle420eagle420 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jesus christ quit your damn whining :mad: , firstly you all would be complaining that the game is running crappy :( , secondly when they do something to fix it you still ***** :confused: , listen if its too much for you all to handle dont play :D
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After a lot of daily maintenance it's obvious that PW has some serious issue on its server and frankly I am starting to doubt Pw knows how to solve it.

I am really tired... I paid a subscription and in the last weeks I wasn't able to play more than 1 hour a day fighting against lag, server not responding, forced disconnections, login failed for unknown reason, daily maintenance... yesterday also assigning doffs was absolutely impossible.

And please, do not tell me sto is free to play... if I can't play I also can't use any of the features I paid. Give a refund/compensation to any gold member...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • Options
    senzerarsenzerar Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know how bad it is in USA but I just find it annoying it's at the times. I play in EU and after the downtime I only once had a problem logging in. Also I'm enjoying it and it doesn't matter to me this daily downtime as long as it fixes the problems that are in the game.

Second guys seriously no other MMO has this much downtime. Never played those funny MMO's that does Daily Maintenance of 0:30 to 1:00 hour every day. I prefer it this way. If they fix problems than i don't care.

Don't look at the complains about EU prime time because it's understandable. You never have a correct time to shut down the servers because there would other wise be complains about US prime time etc.

Just keep up the good work and hope the problems get fixed soon.
  • Options
    nikkobrisbanenikkobrisbane Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lets hope u fix the removal from map bug, ts really annoyng me.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well there goes my last hope for some bug fixes within this week....
  • Options
    coldbeer72coldbeer72 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eagle420 wrote: »
    jesus christ quit your damn whining :mad: , firstly you all would be complaining that the game is running crappy :( , secondly when they do something to fix it you still ***** :confused: , listen if its too much for you all to handle dont play :D

Haven't done any whining personally, and appreciate the effort that the team is going to.....BUT, there is no evidence that things are improving, and the safe standby comment of "server stability" work, is not enough to placate most people( I am not a die hard, so I can live with it), a more substantial explanation would probably shut most people up, but until it is forthcoming, the rant posts will continue...

Branflakes....you have my sympathy in being the poor sod who cops the brunt of this frustration, but can you give us something a bit more substantial in the way of an explanation as to what is going on.....maybe???
  • Options
    ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lets hope u fix the removal from map bug, ts really annoyng me.
    Thats no Bugs that are to full Server or in other Words not enough Server for the Nummbers of Players. And the Server Stability Downtimes are only to restart Server and maybe put more RAM in and out or get some more Server to work better together.

And to Cryptic or should i call you Bugtic, get all fixed now and get back to one downtime per week ! It time to call it again Star Trek Online and not have to call it Star Trek Offline.
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • Options
    mn03mn03 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eagle420 wrote: »

But that's the problem, what did they fix the past week? There has been a "server stability" maintenance every day now, and there are still problems. From the consumer point of view, nothing changes. We really need an explanation what the TRIBBLE is happening back there and what they are doing to solve it. Or are they waiting until most players have rage quit from the game.
  • Options
    kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wow, still no bug fixes. How bad are the servers that keeping the ship from sinking is more important then making sure the ship moves forward?
  • Options
    specopssec31specopssec31 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do you know that rebooting the servers every day in a endless Loop will not fix the problem? :P:P

Asking the users to reboot the computer and check if it works after that is common in IT Support but I don't think that will work with an MMO game server... :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    purple2dreampurple2dream Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is just for LOLs
  • Options
    darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do you know that rebooting the servers every day in a endless Loop will not fix the problem? :P:P

Asking the users to reboot the computer and check if it works after that is common in IT Support but I don't think that will work with an MMO game server... :rolleyes:

Maybe it's not an hardware issue. If they have problems with the capacity, they have allready install new hardware i would hope.

That they have daily maintenance it seems there is some problem with caching and storring data. Maybe they have to perform database improvements every day and deleting cached session data, before the american players wake up?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    seby8472seby8472 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I appreciate your efforts to make maintenance and keep the server going.... but I would like to know wat are the chances to see, at least, the mail BUG fixed?
  • Options
    yeoman85yeoman85 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    WHAAAAAAATTTTTTTT?????? All the time I had to play yesterday was taken up by shard downtime and again today :(:(:(
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guys

Cryptic is in business for one reason only, the same all other companies are in business - to make money now and in the future. That's it, that is the goal of all businesses.

Do you think they don't realise the impact these daily outages are having on the game population?

Do you think they have not worked out the potential cost in down time in terms of C Store purchases, zen purchases etc?

Do you not think that in the light of the above that they are doing everything in their power to correct the problems as soon as possible?

Surely you do not think they are happy to continue like this indefinitely?

The problems, whatever they are, are being addressed, whether it be programming, hardware, staff, or vermin chewing through cables, they are being looked at.

Brandon is just doing his job, if he was able to explain more he would, the fact he does not suggests that the company does not want to reveal the nature of the problem just yet or does not know what it is.

The game runs well 90% of the day, the bug fixes are in the pipeline, be patient, it will be resolved and that is guaranteed, it just takes some time, perhaps a few weeks, to iron out all the potential problems.

90% of the day continual dc's,map manager problems and a hundred other faults.If thats your idea of running well you should be employed by Cryptic :o
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really want the darn mail bug fixed, my mail is getting so cluttered with all this exchange mail clogging up my mailbox.

Here is a quick fix, how about you get rid of the stealth neft of limiting the mail to 100 attachments, just revert it back to what it was.

Plus the teaming bug is really annoying where you have to re-log to actually be invited to a team from people who are not on your friends list.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    specopssec31specopssec31 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe it's not an hardware issue. If they have problems with the capacity, they have allready install new hardware i would hope.

I don't think they would buy and install any new hardware, it really looks like they try to ride out the storm of high loads after the LoR release by rebooting every day.

If they were committed to provide the best possible experience to STO Players they would run the STO software on one server farm and the other games on other server farms, but of course that would cost big money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    puykonigpuykonig Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At this rate, i will not be finishing the re-run. can we get Ext on the Re-run please.
  • Options
    daywalkerhawkdaywalkerhawk Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Any Info on the Fix for the Red alert Missions? you can make them win them but you cant hail Command to turn them in, i have atm 5 Missions that cant be turned in and as allways no Replays to Tickets...
  • Options
    gareth1981gareth1981 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problems appear to be with their authentication servers, not the actual game server itself, so the work being done, according to a cryptic designer on subspace radio (http://www.subspace-radio.net) was on the IT side of things. He was on a segment talking about the new Romulan update but was not actually responsible for any of the ongoing server/IT work. Anyway, the game itself (minus all the bugs) is not the main priority right now as it is playable, it's to ensure people can log into the game and not get kicked out.

I also noticed a post on a thread for another scheduled maintenance notice that the temporary solution to the mail problem is to sign into champions online and delete them their - not sure how that works or what to do exactly but it was mentioned it's pretty shocking you have to use another game to sort out an inconvenience on another.
  • Options
    ryondusryondus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you Bran to be a "Steinadler" (for those who do not know, watch "Grimm")
    Standing on the front line. Wielding Cryptic's flag steadfast and noble.
    You get all the blame. But you truly are not to be blamed.
    Thanks for at least telling us. Something. Better than nothing.
This discussion has been closed.