What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (May 31, 2013) [Complete!]

Comments

• Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What a surprise and my last day of a weeks holiday when I have been unable to play this game. I mentioned yesterday that unless things are fixed I would not be buying any more Zen points for the zen stor. Well PWE today is my payday and my money is going somewhere else and the same will happen next month taking me and possibly a lot pf players with it so KEEP THE SERVERS DOWN UNTIL YOU RESOLVE THE ISSUE.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kngorkngor Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi guys,

@mattjohnsonva, do you play STO at the Prime Time? I don't know a Player that has no DC's or Server not Responding in the last weeks. And i can give you a few houndred Players from my fleet and some Partner Fleets we had a internal discussion about this and the result was 2789 to 7 who had Problems with the Connection all over the world. And it's the worsest Argument to say it's a Problem of Player Hardware or local Network infrastructure if every other game works better at the Moment.

Important for me is that you don't misunderstand me. I am a big Fan of STO and i will continue to play it for a Long time, i hope. i have bought 3 LTA for my familiy and some Gold Accounts for my friends. So i invested much Money in the game, also ingame.

I agree that Cryptic want's to make Money, that's why we are working and everyone want's to life, eat and drink, ;)

But in professional Software Developement there are some rules to follow.

1. design a Prototyp --> aka Alpha Version, test it on a local Environment
    2. correct bugs --> TESTING the System, do some programming and... TEST the whole System again.
    3. tag the corrected Version after successfully Testing
    4. make a Beta Version and TEST it in a public Environment with some Users (give some reasonable Gifts, so they test correctly and give Feedback to you)
    5. correct the BUGS and TEST it by yourself
    6. New Beta Version...

repeat the Steps 2 - 6 until no Bug ist reported by Testers

7. Make a Public Beta and TEST it with much Users (give some reasonable Gifts, so they test correctly and give Feedback to you)
    8. correct the BUGS and TEST by yourself
    9. New Beta Version...

repeat the Steps 8 - 9 until no Bug ist reported by Testers

10. Make a Release Candidate, TEST it
    11. Release after Successfully Testing.

12. Correct Issues on Lifesystem after testing on Testsystem.

That was a short list of Steps to do when you develop Software.

Now let us look on STO.............

I think the skipped all Testing... so they develop something publish it and are hoping that all wents good.

But, Developers!, Keep listening! That's no professional programming, nor design of a complex Software like STO where thousands of Players are playing simultaniously

So you loose Players, that means you loose Money and finally you loose your Jobs.
    Keep this in mind and get at work to fix those Bugs and the Server Problems.

I hope the will fix the Major Bugs and Server Problems soon so we can enjoy the Game like in earlier Times.

Greetings

kngor (Motzi)
    =/\= 58. Geschwader - Fleet Admiral =/\=
    =/\= Vice Admiral |□|□|□| Andreas@Motzi =/\=
    =/\= Yan Isleth - yo' 'ai =/\=
    =/\= Lieutenant General |₳|₳|₳| K'ratak@Motzi =/\=
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    poeddudepoeddude Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally I'd be more inclined to believe these "server stability updates" were going to have a more lasting impression if I hadn't had to download the same 132mb patch every day since LoR launched.

What kind of update requires refreshing every day? Can't be more than a bandage on the wound.
  • Options
    alorianmclean198alorianmclean198 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ototo999 wrote: »
    As someone previously said, this just arrive in the point of "absurd"

Thanks to you for ignore ALL the rest of the post in the thread and dont give YOUR COMUNITY an explanation of whats going on.

Keep that good job, u are doing great!!

(Irony mode off)

Now seriously:

*If u are getting the servers down to test if ur bug fixes work, awesome, u should have done previously to the release of the patch, but better late than never, u actually will get a big applause of the people, cause is the only reason we can fully understand.

*If u are getting them down to reset game load; buy a new server, get the game down 24-48 hours and stop doing this, in the end will be cheaper than loosing customers.

*If u getting them down cause ur mother-company dont give u space, show them again the numbers. Years/Customers this is probably a really profiteable game.

*Etc...

Please, dont ignore the people of ur community, many good games have gone down cause of that, next to their companies.

Edit: I just want to add that al the above is said cause i care for the game, is a great game, and u are killing it in a way that is simply horrible in many ways, i can swear you that, as i stopped playing EA games for a think like this, ignoring community, i will never play a PWE game again if i leave this one, cause i have the same feeling i had, and is simply not logical that i enrage for a thing that should be funny.

Ok first off learn grammar good sir. Secondly, you as well as everyone else on here just to complain must realize a couple of things. He is a community leader, not a programmer, and not a senior executive of cryptic/pwe. He can not control what Cryptic does he just passes along the information he receives. Also, my good man, (or woman) Bran does his best to keep us up to date, he listens to all the TRIBBLE people sling at him for relaying messages and keeps on trucking.

He runs in game events, makes sure we have some kind of information to go on, and generally deals with idiots on a daily basis who, because of being a spoiled bunch of aristocratic snobs, can't deal with not getting what they want right now. Guess what, this is a game not real life. Bran does his best, and even if cryptic is the best in the world I personally love STO and Neverwinter and hope they keep up the good work of great story telling.

***General Warning***
    I am not affiliated with this company in anyway, Im just sick of people complaining who honestly have no right to. And before I hear the "Well I spent money"" arguement I am a LT suscriber who probably owns almost every C-Store ship there is. So let the people do their job and leave them alone.

As for Cryptive, keep turning it out guys, love the games and the stories.
  • Options
    sharialashariala Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously.. everyone needs to take a few deep breaths, and calm down. (Well ok Not everyone obviously..but Some of us.)

Clearly what happened, was all this new stuff to do with the Romulans has introduiced an Iconian virus into the Cyrptic Servers, and they are having trouble pinning it down. They Clearly do not have an awesome starfleet, KDF, or Republic Sci officer in place to put a worm in thier systems... that is if they Even Know where the virus is comming from. I mean I have no idea how advanced the U.S.S.Cryptic's sensors are... :^D
  • Options
    x0ligyx0ligy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wounder if my predictions for the next two days of maintenance will come true maybe i should predict the next two weeks seeing as its every day the same excuse and nothing actually happening other than 130mb patches that need no explanation and no bugs fixed.

I really have no idea how cryptic think this right nor why they think we should spend out money on there product if they are unable to keep a server running for 24 hours.

Pointless asking how long its going t last because just like all the other posts it will be "ignored". Oh no but wait, they have said they will give some answers in their pick and choose thread where they can ignore questions the people want answered! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    krilldarnkrilldarn Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I must concur... I have had hardly any problems with the game, only on the LoR release day and the one the following day i was getting kicked... since then nothing...... Most of my fleet have been fine (except one and his problem was his anti virus causing disconnect).....

I see all the complaints about "I have paid for this" and "I have paid for that"..... We all have, you just to wait it will gt sorted..... It is no different to jumping in your car to do a quick journey only to get stuck in a traffic jam caused by roadworks..... Their inconvenient but necessary...

I can see peoples frustration though when big issues like mail are not yet fixed but an update is done because a ship is the wrong colour....... The ship was easier to fix....... Please can you guys make email one of your top jobs..........

one of the changes that is annoying but funny when you see it, is the new feature of shift R... SLIPSTREAM.... this catches many VAs out and you can see them bumping off the edge of the sector, then slowly changing course and tootling off at normal warp.... I know i have done it.... Several times... and i hear Cursing over teamspeak from fellow fleet who just done the same.....
  • Options
    daddytrekdaddytrek Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game seemed better for a while last night, i played PVE, was able to move about without getting kicked off the game and then just when i started to enjoy myself i got sever no response for ages and then got booted out and then gave up after bout 30mins.
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online tomorrow, Friday, May 31st, at 7AM PDT (click here to view in your timezone) for maintenance. We expect this maintenance to only last for 1.5 hours. The test server may also be unavailable during this time.

There are no patch notes for this maintenance other than "Server stability updates."

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team

y u no fix bugs?

I mean, I understand it's busy and all after such a big release, but we've been having major PvE queue issues since release now.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    wolfgar2wolfgar2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wonder when the devs are going to actually fix anything. These patches have done absolutely nothing to resolve anything including lag and randomly getting kicked from the game for no fault of my own. Seems that they need to rethink about hiring some new temporary programmers .
  • Options
    kaaahhhhhnnnnnkaaahhhhhnnnnn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why is this Maintenance constantly in the middle of the European day it simply isn't fair, you are quick enough to take our money on par with the Americans but they get more for their money because they get pandered too constantly!
  • Options
    abrahamjohnson83abrahamjohnson83 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually I'm also wonder why this is. I have never experienced these laggs or kicks. I'm LifeTimer and play 9 to 11 hours the week. So I think the whole problem is more network based, and it is affecting only some local regions. My is in west europe (germany,cologne), and it had run flawless before the first announce of these maintenances. None of these patches (~135MB) seems to change anything.
  • Options
    x0ligyx0ligy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why is this Maintenance constantly in the middle of the European day it simply isn't fair, you are quick enough to take our money on par with the Americans but they get more for their money because they get pandered too constantly!

Because there should be less europeans on during them times, though with everyone working different times its hard to say. But after 4pm you have the schools closing, 5pm adults start leaving work so thats when it sould be busier for the game. Makes sense.. in away but daily is just bs imo.

@abraham im UK based and have been kicked, server not responding, unexplained error or just sent to the startrek online login page where my user name is 22348247922342' yes i enter my password and it works seems odd i know i would expect it wo be actually my email but they must encode it then have 2 decryption methods. Normal and coded.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gareth1981 wrote: »
    I also noticed a post on a thread for another scheduled maintenance notice that the temporary solution to the mail problem is to sign into champions online and delete them their - not sure how that works or what to do exactly but it was mentioned it's pretty shocking you have to use another game to sort out an inconvenience on another.

Yes, shocking and disconcerting. I mean, what does it mean when PWE adds a 'mail delete' function to Champions Online, but never can be arsed to do us the same courtesy? You think that's indicative of the priority they're giving STO?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    azza130azza130 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just like to ask if i make a new character will i get all the Benefits and as i can not make a new Thread i have to ask here Sorry
  • Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Yes, shocking and disconcerting. I mean, what does it mean when PWE adds a 'mail delete' function to Champions Online, but never can be arsed to do us the same courtesy? You think that's indicative of the priority they're giving STO?

Yep. I was hoping they would address the email problem with Thursday's scheduled downtime. When I read that they wouldn't address ANY bugs, I knew I had to bite the bullet and start using the work around.

So now I have a Champions Online character named...emaildelete lol.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The day there isn't "server stability" maintenances is the day you start worrying something is really wrong.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some of you don't seem to understand how bug fixes work. A bug report gets filed and the devs get to work on fixing it, but wait while fixing the bug the devs see that fixing that bug will cause something else to break. So they halt fixing the bug and try to figure out a different way to fix it without breaking something else. Thats why when you submit a bug report it has to be as detailed as possible so they know what everything was that caused the bug.

So shutting down the severs for a couple days is not going to make them be able to fix the bugs faster.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    azza130 wrote: »
    I just like to ask if i make a new character will i get all the Benefits and as i can not make a new Thread i have to ask here Sorry

Of course.

I think there is a bug where KDF Roms are getting things at the old KDF unlock level 20 something. I've read there's a bug with joining pve ques?

Since it will be a while before they even BEGIN to address all the bugs, I'm working Rep and DOFF across my alts.

• Options
    mnemonicmachinemnemonicmachine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    Things have been 'interesting' (to say the least) the last week or so... Huh Bran...?

I hope the folks actually working on the problem, are buying you lotsa stuff to eat and drink...

Being Their 'Front-man' sucks big time!

How does it suck? He posts a generic "we're going offline, no notes, thanks, blah blah" and then ignores the forum until they're back up and says "thanks again, see you in-game" without any indication that he'd actually read anything on the thread, let alone post a response. Seems like an easy gig to me:

A) Post ready-to-go form (change date) about general server stability.

B) Go get snack/coffee/take nap/whatever.

C) Post ready-to-go form about being back up.

Easy.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Some of you don't seem to understand how bug fixes work. A bug report gets filed and the devs get to work on fixing it, but wait while fixing the bug the devs see that fixing that bug will cause something else to break. So they halt fixing the bug and try to figure out a different way to fix it without breaking something else. Thats why when you submit a bug report it has to be as detailed as possible so they know what everything was that caused the bug.

So shutting down the severs for a couple days is not going to make them be able to fix the bugs faster.

At this point. They might as well plan for and tell us this will happen daily for the next week to month...Instead of oh we need another emergency maintenance. This is the new normal now.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    How does it suck? He posts a generic "we're going offline, no notes, thanks, blah blah" and then ignores the forum until they're back up and says "thanks again, see you in-game" without any indication that he'd actually read anything on the thread, let alone post a response. Seems like an easy gig to me:

Easy.

Yep. Makes me wonder why they are putting off that day of reckoning and officially posting in the STO forums about the 100 mail limit.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    You think this is bad with the maint times. You should see Neverwinter. Over there they take the servers down at different times for maint. One time they had the servers down for I think 18 hours while they fixed an exploit and then did a rollback of 7 hours.
  • Options
    captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We are working on a fix for it (along with many other fixes for other bugs), and plan to have it out as soon as possible. More information in tomorrow's Ask Cryptic article :)

Thanks for the support :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thank for the response Brandon, at least we know that a fix is in the works. :D
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    You think this is bad with the maint times. You should see Neverwinter. Over there they take the servers down at different times for maint. One time they had the servers down for I think 18 hours while they fixed an exploit and then did a rollback of 7 hours.

What's up with Neverwinter's interface?

I created a deletemail alt but the default interface is mouse look. So you can't click on the mail or any buttons etc. Eventually I found a hotkey to the mail and low and behold I had no mail. I tried looking around in options but couldn't figure out how to make the interface give me my mouse so I could click on the interface.

Anyway I deleted Neverwinter and was successful with Champions to create my deletemail alt.

• Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Easy.

Actually Brandon handles all sort of stuff, like customer complaints too. As Cryptic is not really a big company, people may have to fulfill multiple roles.

Anyway, the problem is that the server/bandwith cant take the load it seems.

The only thing the annoyed players can do is to write a polite email to PWE and try to ask them to give Cryptic funds for a server upgrade.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    odiumnascorodiumnascor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be completely honest, I was more surprised two days ago when there WASN'T a downtime, this has become so frequent.

It wouldn't be as frustrating to so many people if they would stagger the downtimes, but they always have it start in the early morning PST. The bad thing about always having it start around the same time is that it consistently hits the same portion of the player base every day. Many of these players have paid hundreds of dollars into this game between Subs/Lifetimes, Zen, and Legacy/Starter packs and they are rightfully upset to have their play time denied every day except for one since Legacy of Romulus launched and there has been no compensation of any sort offered - that is bad business. For me, these only cut into the end of my playtime before I go to bed, but for those who have this time block as their prime time hours, they have a very legitimate reason to be upset at this point.

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say that Cryptic and Perfect World should start issuing refunds - I'm not so deluded as to think that would ever happen, but I do think they need to do something for the player base as a "sorry we screwed up so much for so long". This could be anything from tossing everyone a few keys or perhaps more fittingly - having a Q XP event which lasts as many days as we have to put up with daily downtime. Let's admit it - most people right now are leveling up and playing their Romulan Republic characters, so a Q event would help them catch up on lost time and it would make everyone else happy as well. Just a thought, trying to be productive instead of just complaining.
  • Options
    champbaccachampbacca Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ficr wrote: »
    What's up with Neverwinter's interface?

I created a deletemail alt but the default interface is mouse look. So you can't click on the mail or any buttons etc. Eventually I found a hotkey to the mail and low and behold I had no mail. I tried looking around in options but couldn't figure out how to make the interface give me my mouse so I could click on the interface.

Anyway I deleted Neverwinter and was successful with Champions to create my deletemail alt.

Try pressing Alt.
    ____
    "Have you tried reversing the polarity of the neutron flow?" - T'Raava, captain of the U.S.S. Gordon Shumway
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    In Neverwinter you need to hit the "alt" key to give you your mouse pointer. I took a break from NW to play STO as I'm in a sci-fi mood right now. Even tho they say mail is viewable on all 3 games. I don't see any of my mail I have on my NW toons over here at STO.
This discussion has been closed.