test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

100-attachment mail limit

Comments

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It really appears Cryptic DID NOT think this through as, since I has 6 (six characters) - and they all post items on the Exchange; if/when a group if these sales expire - I can receive automatic system e-mails that go ABOVE this single account limit quite easily.

Thus, I'm effectively PUNISHED/PENALIZED for having Alts and making use of the character slots I have available to me; and posting 40 items to the Exchange.

Yep, great way to encourage players to have multiple characters with this change.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • squigishsquigish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    I gotta better idea:

Put the mail limit back to the way it was pre-LoR, compress all messages with attachments into a single file on exit from mail terminal and store the file client side and generate a checksum, then store the checksum on the account server. This will free up the space on cryptic servers they seem to think they need and with a server stored checksum it should ensure the client-side stored message file doesn't get tampered with. On opening the mail from the ingame mail terminal the file is decompressed on the client computer provided the checksums match.

So what if it takes a couple of minutes to decompress a large stored file on the clients computer, the solution would be to decrease the size of the file, and totally in the control of the player.

There are all sorts of problems with this idea. For one, what about people who use multiple computers to play? If I log off from one computer, and log on to another one, do I then lose access to my mail?

I keep coming back to this thread hoping for an official response from Dan Stahl. Please? Talk to us here!
  • bootybootsbootyboots Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    squigish wrote: »
    I keep coming back to this thread hoping for an official response from Dan Stahl. Please? Talk to us here!

please see my edited first post of this thread. the change was intentional, probably to sell a few more slots. Its obvious they view the mailbox use as an exploit and as such they are very unlikely to comment on it.

also, they are unlikely to take any actions at the moment since they are still having trouble getting people even to login, accounts open and keeping the servers up. After that they have a multitude of in-game bugs to work on. Its going to be a while before they can even address this 'feature'.

This of course is the problem with a stealth nerf and the seeming ignorance of how STO players actually play verses the dev fantasy
    House of Sigma (channel KDFdefera for PvE requiring only KDF teams) List of KDF issues [my in-game handle @bootymcboots] (channel KDF Empire for KDF orientated discussion - still in development/growing)
  • omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bootyboots wrote: »
    please see my edited first post of this thread. the change was intentional, probably to sell a few more slots. Its obvious they view the mailbox use as an exploit and as such they are very unlikely to comment on it.

also, they are unlikely to take any actions at the moment since they are still having trouble getting people even to login, accounts open and keeping the servers up. After that they have a multitude of in-game bugs to work on. Its going to be a while before they can even address this 'feature'.

This of course is the problem with a stealth nerf and the seeming ignorance of how STO players actually play verses the dev fantasy

Agreed. I am sensing a definate ignorance to what players actually want and need followed up by a haughty "What are you gonna do about it? -.o", if anything, when we complain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    squigish wrote: »
    There are all sorts of problems with this idea. For one, what about people who use multiple computers to play? If I log off from one computer, and log on to another one, do I then lose access to my mail?

Well I did admit earlier that portability of mail was a problem, but to channel some of the devs ways of looking at gameplay- playing on multiple computers may not be consistent with the devs design of how it should be played, thus an exploit.

:)
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the overall problem is a lack of "Cool" people working there.

No insults intended.

For example a Cool person, when presented with the current Kumari bridge, would immediately comment how the "Access Library Files"/ "Contact Duty Officers," "Bridge Invitations"/ Leave Ship Interior" are displayed in exactly the opposite way they should be IE: "Contact Duty Officers" and Leave Ship Interior" should be on top as they are the most often used.

Even if the Cool person doesn't know about Star Trek, the non Cool mistakes are blatantly obvious to them.
  • omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Well I did admit earlier that portability of mail was a problem, but to channel some of the devs ways of looking at gameplay- playing on multiple computers may not be consistent with the devs design of how it should be played, thus an exploit.

:)

Indeed. Currently, anything can be called an exploit and white knights will back it up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
  • daedalus27daedalus27 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The problem is there is an inability to acquire the slots we want due to the game preventing us from expanding our rosters and banks as much as we want to. The most glaring issue is with doffs as there are only 400 doff slots available in total per character and only 20 colonists per character. With starbase construction and the slow sales of doffs, this quickly is filled and overwhelmed. I can easily pull in 10 to 20 doffs a day per character from various missions yet I cannot sell them fast enough.

By implimenting this mail limit, they have destroyed my ability to play the doffing system as I have been and curtailed my ability to help starbase building which requires warehousing large quantities of doffs unneeded (tac and sci) at the time to acquire the ones you do need (sec and med). Bank slots are less of an issue to many but no less curtailed given the stack sizes and bound items the game pushes us to acquire yet takes up very limited spece.

I agree buying more slots is a solution but at this time THEY DO NOT LET US beyond an arbitrary point.
  • suiksagasuiksaga Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As I stated about 10 or so pages ago the white knights definition of exploit makes it seem even playing the game is a exploit, but since the devs are unwilling to say anything all the hot air coming from the fanbois is about as valuable as counterfeit money.

Still if the devs had the gumba to actually say something on the subject instead of one tweet almost 2 weeks ago with a short reply like on their actual forums instead of a 3 party message site I might respect them just a bit more on the matter....

But it is clear they don't want to stir the pot anymore then it already has been.
  • shaltorshaltor Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Has there been any kind of ETR for the mail issue? I don't need a full blown technical assessment, but a "whisper of acknowledgement" would go a long way.
  • alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    100 per account? It's must be minimum 100 per character. And what to do with prisoners if we have only 20 slots? 20 slots for KDF are very small amount. It must be 50.

I spent over 1000$ on this game and I don't want to spent more with this limitation.
  • daedalus27daedalus27 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about letting us buy extra mail space. Say 100 more attachments for 250 zen? I hate paying for something we got for free, but I am trying to throw out suggestions so we can play how we have learned to play for months and years while the developers can profit a little.

At least please someone in official capacity comment on this issue on the official forums rather than a brief tweet. Anything from we will take these suggestions in mind or an explaination on why the change now and what is coming that helps solve these known issues. I know there are many bugs, and you don't consider this a bug per se, but it is a dramatic change that is negatively affecting many, many players that deserves acknowledgment.
  • getafix101getafix101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is there any point me making a comment on this topic probably not but STO pull your heads back out of the sand and fix this issue.

Still cant dellete emails,!!! 100 item limit??? really WTF is with that. 400 emails was the agreed amount when i started and believe it or not that worked and reading some of these posts thats not even enough.

Why do you mess with a working mail system to create a doomed one?? Got me ****ed.
    edited May 2013
    I wonder if I should add to the OP about the foundry stealth nerf too

in case you aren't aware, there are reports that the daily limit on foundry drops are now account wide instead of character wide

yet another reason to give people to make multiple accounts

EDIT: also it seems the devs themselves don't even understand their nerfs...

more ignorance about how players actually play the game here
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=10529901#post10529901
    House of Sigma (channel KDFdefera for PvE requiring only KDF teams) List of KDF issues [my in-game handle @bootymcboots] (channel KDF Empire for KDF orientated discussion - still in development/growing)
  • suiksagasuiksaga Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sadly I have been defeated yet again, I have not the energy or time to deal with these nerfs so I am going to go take another break and hope that cryptic changes their mind on these changes.

If they do not I guess STO will just collect dust on my hard drive for the foreseeable future.

But knowing cryptic they will continue to do what is not in the best interests of their customers in order to try to get a few extra bucks and a lot of frustrated customers in the end that might end up giving up on the game itself like I have for the time being.
  • xyrmaelineraxyrmaelinera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If Cryptic is willing to Help us with the Problem to storage the Doffs i think i have a Solution for it.

Maybe they can make some Doff Missions that convert unwanted Doffs in "Deparment Tokens" that we can use instant of 'real' Doff for the Fleet/Reputation Projects. Let they stack to 500 or 1000 than it fill only bankspace that is easy to expand i think for all then to get new Doffs space if all chars are allready at cap. And it will drastically reduce the datastore needed for handling hundreds of doffs

As an example we would then have 7 Token Types =
    Security, Tactical,
    Engineering, Operation,
    Science, Medical,
    Civil (inclusive Prisoner, Colonists).

The Convert missions it self should be as short as the other upgrade/downgrade missions for Doffs no dil, xp. the missions should give then based on the quality of the doffs 1 token for commen, 3 token for uncommen, 9 token for rare and 27 tokens for very rare of the department the doffs was.

And the best it is far easier for us players to handle a large nummer of "doff tokens" then per a crappy 5-slot-drag'n'drop mail system.
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Because there is already a limitation on buyable bankslots this limit of 100 mail items is totally unacceptable !!!:mad::mad::mad:

At least provide more bankslots then and in case you want to earn money let players buy as many bankslots as the need, so no limit on ammount of bankslots one can buy.

(At least this way people pay for storage space, which is in real live also not for free)
  • derqstartrekderqstartrek Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree totally, they are leaches...
  • derqstartrekderqstartrek Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pwefail wrote: »
    i'm guessing its to help with server lag
    I agree totally, they are leaches...

2nd W.W. someone also forced his will on many people. :-(((
    Excuse me for thinking out loud.
    (who give's a sh.t? cryptic won't probably ever read or reply to this)
  • onehappytapewormonehappytapeworm Member Posts: 106 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have well over 100 items in my mailbox and sent myself more Doffs last night. I also see no xx/100 on any of my attachments or anywhere else. Does anyone have a screenshot of the 100 attachment limit? (If one was posted I missed then I apologize.)
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    solution to this would be to get rid of the ancient inventory system, my tea should not take up the same amount of space as a phaser bank or deflector dish most games have stopped using the old item stack per slot inventory system now
    edited June 2013
    I have well over 100 items in my mailbox and sent myself more Doffs last night. I also see no xx/100 on any of my attachments or anywhere else. Does anyone have a screenshot of the 100 attachment limit? (If one was posted I missed then I apologize.)

I retested just for you.

the 100-item/stack limit is still in place

the limit only includes mails received after the legacy patch

there is zero official indication of this limit anywhere at all other than a twitter post
    edited June 2013
    I retested just for you.

the 100-item/stack limit is still in place

the limit only includes mails received after the legacy patch

there is zero official indication of this limit anywhere at all other than a twitter post

=D Then perhaps this is not affecting everyone? I see no limit to mine. I believe you when you say that you (and others) see a limit, but thankfully I have not.
    edited June 2013
    =D Then perhaps this is not affecting everyone? I see no limit to mine. I believe you when you say that you (and others) see a limit, but thankfully I have not.

this is interesting to hear.

Can you please double-check? Send yourself 21 mails with 5 items each, just to make sure.

If you can, you aren't being limited and the reasons would be interesting to find out.

Do you play any other Cryptic games? Are you a Gold monthly subber? (it affects LTS and Silver for sure) any thing else that you can think of that might make you different from most of us?

Keep in mind the limit is supposed to be there, a Dev confirmed on twitter it is intentional. We just don't like it, particularly since for various reasons we were forced into a position of using the mailbox for tedious, messy and slow storage.
  • tarrennistarrennis Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A member of the Cryptic team quickly commented on a thread about a Loot Limit. Why can't an official comment be made on this thread? If it is a bug or a new limit, or both, say so and be specific.
    edited June 2013
    tarrennis wrote: »
    A member of the Cryptic team quickly commented on a thread about a Loot Limit. Why can't an official comment be made on this thread? If it is a bug or a new limit, or both, say so and be specific.

talking about this thread?

if you read it, you'll see that the dev totally missed this issue while players understood the problem.

The problem it seems is that Devs do not really know how players are actually playing the game they made. Devs view the mailbox limit as an exploit and they don't normally comment on exploits. And I agree with them to a degree, however they made the exploit a necessity for various reasons described by players and myself within this thread.

I'm betting the only reason the Dev investigated the Foundry problem at all is because he thought it was about something else other than the actual problem and the actual problem is another stealth-nerf working as intended.

Unless this thread gets hundreds of commentators like the fleetmark/foundry nerf, I doubt there will be any response from Cryptic at all.
    edited June 2013
    this is interesting to hear.

Can you please double-check? Send yourself 21 mails with 5 items each, just to make sure.

If you can, you aren't being limited and the reasons would be interesting to find out.

Do you play any other Cryptic games? Are you a Gold monthly subber? (it affects LTS and Silver for sure) any thing else that you can think of that might make you different from most of us?

Keep in mind the limit is supposed to be there, a Dev confirmed on twitter it is intentional. We just don't like it, particularly since for various reasons we were forced into a position of using the mailbox for tedious, messy and slow storage.

I had well over 30 messages in my box with 5 doffs each last night when i sent myself 3 more messages with 5 refugees each and never once saw a limit marker. (I have no desire to send myself 20 additional messages which i won't be able to delete for an unknown period of time.
    edited June 2013
    I had well over 30 messages in my box with 5 doffs each last night when i sent myself 3 more messages with 5 refugees each and never once saw a limit marker. (I have no desire to send myself 20 additional messages which i won't be able to delete for an unknown period of time.

There is no visual limit marker, again no official indication that this limit exists, other than when you try to send over 100, your mails will simply stop sending with no error message or anything.

Is it possible that at least 13 of those mails were sent prior to the 21st of May?

Also the only post-legacy mails that can't be deleted it seems are exchange mails
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    talking about this thread?

if you read it, you'll see that the dev totally missed this issue while players understood the problem.

If you knew what you were talking about, you would see that CrypticFrost is a QA guy, NOT a Dev, and that he is one of the most active presences from the company trying to help improve this game for everyone.

QA does not equal Dev.

CrypticFrost is probably the most helpful, friendly guy from the company we could want communicating with us. And you with no provocation (when he is commenting on another matter entirely) decide to start insulting and attacking ?

And You wonder why they don't reply to you?
    edited June 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    If you knew what you were talking about, you would see that CrypticFrost is a QA guy, NOT a Dev, and that he is one of the most active presences from the company trying to help improve this game for everyone.

QA does not equal Dev.

CrypticFrost is probably the most helpful, friendly guy from the company we could want communicating with us. And you with no provocation (when he is commenting on another matter entirely) decide to start insulting and attacking ?

And You wonder why they don't reply to you?

I'm using Dev as a general term to refer to everyone working for Cryptic. Yes CrypticFrost is one of the most responsive employee's on this forum and very helpful.

I used his comment as the latest example of Cryptic employees not understanding how their players play. Yes his response was speedy and showed concern. It also missed the point. Its not my intention to single him out at all. Nor am I trying to attack or insult him personally.

However one might say I'm trying to attack and insult the company as a whole, as player perspectives seem to be largely missed. It unlikely Crypticfrost's, Branflakes, or any of the twitter or other forum commentators job to keep informed of player habits and game usage (beyond reading quantitative analyses). My concern is either such a person doesn't exist, or they are not doing their job and keeping the rest of the team informed.

Also note my original post was over 10 days ago, at the launch of Legacy. At this point I'm not even considering a timely response and am just keeping people with questions informed while letting off some steam on the issue in one place (this thread).
This discussion has been closed.