Options

100-attachment mail limit

Comments

• Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    emt27 wrote: »

Please just let me delete..

The delete option will be available in the C-store soon :D (Yes i'm getting cynical about cryptic)
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Its this kind of underhanded nonsense that really lets cryptic down and demolishes player trust.

I really love the new expansion, but this slimy kind of behavior just takes everyone a step back. At least announce it.

Coming soon: Increased mailbox size 500 zen! (can be unlocked 30 times!)

I agree they definitely should have announced it, not announcing it is an incredibly stupid mistake.

Personally I don't see the issue with the actual change though, you shouldn't be using your mail as a secondary bank. That's not what it was designed for, so upgrade your bank space or roll more toons.

Why would you need to keep a million doffs in the mail anyway? If you have a few alts you're going to be able to keep a few hundred in reserve and that's more than reasonable!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    topset wrote: »

Why would you need to keep a million doffs in the mail anyway? If you have a few alts you're going to be able to keep a few hundred in reserve and that's more than reasonable!

I think the problem is that many fleet owners use the mail system for fleet upkeep and wouldnt have enough room in bank even if they upgraded to max.
  • Options
    khanstruewrathkhanstruewrath Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mail is for mail, you have bag and bank for a reason.
    Romulus burned, untold billions died.
    It's the Tal'shiars doing, Sela lied.
    Vengeance is born, with eternal scorn.
    New Romulus rises.
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Probably a good Idea Now to go and clean out your mail box if it is not to late. We all have bad Habits of just forgetting the stuff is in there.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm still convinced cryptic did this to force players to setup mule accounts to bolster their new account statistics. With 3 free toons and their associated bank/inventory space to use it would be perfect for gear and officer storage. Since it's F2P they won't be able to tell the real accounts from the mules, they will increase the load on the account server and have done nothing to fix the mail system as well as betrayed the players trust by not letting them know what changes to the mail system they were making. Of course lockbox doff packs are also going to be given away on the exchange or outright discarded in order for some players to continue opening their lockboxes.

The ONLY upside for cryptic is the data showing all the newly created accounts since LoR launch so it's the only explanation to this problem that makes any sense.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    emt27emt27 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mail is for mail, you have bag and bank for a reason.

Not sure how everyone plays, but my mail is not used for bank storage, it is used for things that can't go in the bank.. Mainly white doffs, used when fleet projects come up. If others play like I do then I think you are missing the point
    Say something relavant or hold your tongue
  • Options
    omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

...Says you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    equinox976 wrote: »
    I think the problem is that many fleet owners use the mail system for fleet upkeep and wouldnt have enough room in bank even if they upgraded to max.

Having a thousand white doffs in reverse is nuts. It's completely insane, and there's no need for it. Even small fleets can manage JUST FINE without this.

If you're running a small fleet on your own or with a few freinds, chances are you have at least 4 alts. You'd need them for grinding dilithium, and given that projects use at most 180 doffs per 20 hours, you don't need to stock up on a months doffs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    birkepbirkep Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The "never intended to be an infinite amount of space" comment is discouraging. Can we assume he admits that there was a deliberate change?

I could accept it as an exploit IF you had to use a trick to send mail to YOURSELF. Since you can send mail to yourself with attachments by design, how can this even be an exploit? It's working as intended!

Obviously nobody could store an infinite amount of items in mail. Surely the highest number is less than 100k, and that would take years of just collecting junk and stuffing it in mail. Why is this suddenly a problem?

If there was a solid technical or business reason to justify a limit, then there are many reasonable ways to implement a limit. The simplest would be to place a large limit and then incrementally reduce it over time. At the same time they could address problems like doff and boff storage.

Edit: I see comments criticizing the way people use mail. If a player is spending time in the game collecting loads of items, isn't that good for the game? I certainly appreciate being able to buy doffs when I need them.
  • Options
    omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having a thousand white doffs in reverse is nuts. It's completely insane, and there's no need for it. Even small fleets can manage JUST FINE without this.

If you're running a small fleet on your own or with a few freinds, chances are you have at least 4 alts. You'd need them for grinding dilithium, and given that projects use at most 180 doffs per 20 hours, you don't need to stock up on a months doffs.

Once again "It's not a problem for ME, so it's not a problem for you." mentality.

Look, no matter how you try to go around it, storage is limited. Even if you have 40 characters with max slots purchased (including doffs), you can only keep so much. The main reasons people are pissed is #1 White Doffs. Even storing the 400 per toons poses the problem of MOVING them between toons. What will end up is you will now have to sell all your white doffs on one character and buy them on another. Maybe not a big deal to you, but to major fleet contributers it is. And don't say put all you alts in one fleet. Some of us spend enough time playing to manage multiple fleets. #2 What happens when those white doff listings (or others) expire past 100? You lose those items.

Now stop telling other players what they "need" to do and acknowledge this ninja modification is dirty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
  • Options
    suiksagasuiksaga Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As usual you got the white knights out there defending yet another very shady move by cryptic.

As for storage, you tell me does logging on to alts to search for white doffs for your main sound like fun?

The white knights must be blind because in the tier 3-5 range your always getting a request for 90-350 of a certain type of doff officer.

Going from 2500 items with a 500 mail limit to 100 items with a 100 mail limit especially with people like me with 10+ characters on one account is a big nerf.

Doing the recruitment mission every week I get easily over 100+ doffs and while i try to use them on my mains for whatever projects are up i can tell you at other times especially civilian and science officer project do not come up very often at all.

Again stop calling us exploiters because really that mail system has been in place for over 3 years and it has worked that way for this long to be called exploiters for a system in place since launch is beyond stupid...

But sadly the white knights will do anything to defend their masters.
  • Options
    lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm gonna go ahead 'n go out on a limb 'n say that NONE of you people saying these doffs in the mail are ridiculous have EVER fed close to 300 duty officers into a base in one sitting.
    In fleets all around the galaxy players reap the rewards while a select few in each and every one of your fleets is fed by people with doffs in the mail like this.

Its not even the cost of the doffs its the time it takes to feed them into the base.
    And now with exchange items showing up 'n over 1000 items in a list, causing severe exchange lag every time you buy a single item, its going to take over an hour just to keep your bases filled with their doff requirements.

I'm in a great fleet, I love my fleet and my mates are great BUT, even so, when one fleet mate throws a thousand fleet common duty officer boxes into the bank 'n allows free run of it guess how fast the duty officer requirement fills up, DAYS.
    In a fleet of 300 people it still takes DAYS to fill these doff requirements up even when they're freely gifted to anyone willing to take the time to do it.

Guess how far your starbase would be if someone wasn't paying attention 'n filling out those doff requirements for you. While you're off playing stfs or 'kerrat'ing or whatever.
    Someone is spending hours of their gametime to ensure your base progresses and you're able to continue reaping its rewards.

These are the people hit hardest by this stealth nerf.

I personally go around to 5 different starbases, none of them very small, and donate hundreds of duty officers regularly. Free of charge, just because its nice to do.
    and yes, I enjoy seeing those timers counting down when other folks don't even bother to look.
    This is not possible if I cannot store the hundred green duty officers held for breaking into commons in my mail, or the 300 commons that comes from them, not to mention the mini packs I have in my inventory I spend millions on in the interest of continued contributions.

6 items so far disappeared cause I haventt been able to get to all my characters 'n pull things from the exchange in time OR delete mail to figure out whats what.
    Very costly nerf. no warning what so ever.

Lol I know people who thought this was a good thing, said GJ devs on it, never mind the fact that they're the types of people who camp on new projects to fill out fleet marks and expertise instantly then leave 500+ doffs untouched as well as dilithium or anything else.

My guess is you're one of those.
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    its called MAIL not infinite FREE STORAGE.

im not a cryptic lap dog they TRIBBLE up plenty, usually overreacting to people doing stupid stuff like abusing the mail and the old school doff grinder for dilith. it was in the game and people exploited it. so now its gone. did any of you like the advance warning they gave on that? there was none. and with that came the 2 weeks of doff hell where any bought doffs could not be donated to projects.

an exploit does not have to be a design flaw look up the definition of the word . its using something to your advantage often in ways it was not intended . So using the MAIL as STORAGE is an exploit. don't like that fact take it up with WEBSTERS .

and to the guy that thinks people are sheep because they can tell the difference between right and wrong. and that we are stupid for not doing it anyways. you are a lamb being led to slaughter by your own actions.

the person going on about capitalization spelling and punctuation. this is a game forums not school. it would not matter to you if anything I wrote was perfect or not you are blinded by your rage. and cant argue your point to disprove the facts so you move into personal attacks.

and the person that thinks any opinion other than his should not be in here discussing it. your a real piece of work.

ohh and it just so happens most of these people I have referenced in this is the same fool, that needs the same responses repeated goodness knows how many times.

so call me a stupid fan boy troll or what ever . it all goes to my original statement. im not going to change my views on right and wrong. and some of you people have never learned the difference.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I will keep bringing it up since no devs

White doff storage, you tell me does logging on to 6-10 be it on a since or though many alt accounts to search for white doffs for your main sound like fun?

The white knights must be blind because in the tier 3-5 range your always getting a request for 90-350 of a certain type of doff officer.

Going from 2500 items with a 500 mail limit to 100 items with a 100 mail limit especially with people like me with 10+ characters on one account is a big nerf.

Doing the recruitment mission every week I get easily over 100+ doffs and while I try to use them on my mains for whatever projects are up i can tell you at other times especially civilian and science officer project do not come up very often at all.

The devs really at lease the community managers should at lease speak up or are they embarrassed that this stealth nerf was forced by pwe?

I do wonder if the devs realize what they are doing or they or their masters are just plain greed driven with no common sense at all?
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most games I have Played if there is a plan to do this they would announce this prior to doing so. To give us a chance to Clean it up on out own.
  • Options
    tarrennistarrennis Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm outraged at a 100 mail attachment limit per character. If Cryptic means to make it 100 mail attachments per account, that is insane! Why should anyone buy a character slot to further dilute their own mail storage?

Why can't someone official make an official comment giving the specifics of the limit and its intent?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    icsairguns wrote: »
    its called MAIL not infinite FREE STORAGE.

<snip>

It's ALWAYS had a cap on the number of attachments you could store. To keep repeating the devs claim that they needed to 'fix' it because people used it differently than the devs envisioned it being used doesn't change the fact that they didn't warn anyone that they were going to lower the cap and some attachments would likely be lost.

I'll bet flying the same ship for too long could be seen as an exploit because the devs envisioned you buying a new ship every few weeks. How upset would you be if they took your free ship without warning because you flew it too long and you didn't buy a c-store replacement because they didn't warn you about the policy change ? Maybe they just empty your hold because you stored data samples indefinitely on it ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited May 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »
    this +1

this new change has made having 1 account with several chars not as good as multiple accounts with 1 char.

if you need to store 100 doffs, just make a new account.. im sure this is what cryptic wanted... heh.

this would also be an exploit . and again shows people no longer know the difference between right and wrong. all this will lead too is them only allowing one account per IP. and that is a bad thing. many many other online games already do this . so don't be surprised if you being cheapskate leads to more cryptic overreaction, that will then prevent multiple people living in same house from being able to play together.

all because you exploited the system. sure accounts are free. they set it up that way. but it was not intended for them to just be mule accounts. so it becomes an exploit.

• Options
    voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013
    Doing this without any warning is a garbage move. Doesn't effect me much personally since I never used mail for storage, but I barely contribute any DoFFs to my fleet. The people who actually do most of the DoFF grinding have been totally screwed by this, losing items from the exchange that expired while they had a bunch of DoFFS stored this way.

I can understand that mail is not intended to be used as extended storage, but with the amount of storage that we have in the game, the doff requirements for starbases are just stupid.

This should not have been implemented without any warning, and without first adjusting starbase requirements.
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    decronia wrote: »
    Well of the games I played they did have a limit on the mail and even how long it is stored, for example WoW after 30 days the mail is deleted along with all attachments. They do this precisely to stop the mail system being used as extra storage. Given that Cryptic charge for extra storage space it is suprising they didn't limit it earlier.

Saying that they do need to allow for the moving of DOFFs to the band or even being able to reararange them in your inventory.

Basically people are going to have to adapt and stop using it as free storage. However exchange mails should not count towards your limit for a while to let the system bed in and allow people to adapt to it.

Not oke if no alternative is offered.

I personaly have no problem buying storage slots. But I cannot buy as many as I need because Cryptic limits the ammount of bank/ship/account strorage. So only option is using mail as aditional storage.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    It's ALWAYS had a cap on the number of attachments you could store. To keep repeating the devs claim that they needed to 'fix' it because people used it differently than the devs envisioned it being used doesn't change the fact that they didn't warn anyone that they were going to lower the cap and some attachments would likely be lost.

I'll bet flying the same ship for too long could be seen as an exploit because the devs envisioned you buying a new ship every few weeks. How upset would you be if they took your free ship without warning because you flew it too long and you didn't buy a c-store replacement because they didn't warn you about the policy change ? Maybe they just empty your hold because you stored data samples indefinitely on it ?

trying to compare flying a free ship as intended with using mail as storage unintended is like apples and oranges.

they didn't give warning but have allowed for them to be retrieved, so they didn't steal your stuff. ( assuming its fixed) now deal with it. there was your warning that you were indeed exploiting the system.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    icsairguns wrote: »
    trying to compare flying a free ship as intended with using mail as storage unintended is like apples and oranges.

they didn't give warning but have allowed for them to be retrieved, so they didn't steal your stuff. ( assuming its fixed) now deal with it. there was your warning that you were indeed exploiting the system.

Way to glaze over the fact they changed the system without warning because players used the system as designed but the devs felt the way it was used didn't fit their vision.

Anything in-game could fall into that 'exploit' catagory.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited May 2013
    totenmet wrote: »
    Not oke if no alternative is offered.

I personaly have no problem buying storage slots. But I cannot buy as many as I need because Cryptic limits the ammount of bank/ship/account strorage. So only option is using mail as aditional storage.

another toon slot and then more storage pace slots for that toon. if you don't have a problem buying the items. by the all of these can be gotten with no real money invested if you manage dilith and trade it for zen . so cant talk about the money to burn issue. or them being money hungry. when a free alternative is in place. it may just take longer than your willing to wait is all.

• Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok... two trolls not really adding anything.... typical for this forum...

Another issue is Stack limits. Regardless of mail issues. Some things are 20, some 50, some 10, some 100, some 250.

There are many items that just keep coming and coming and they clog up your inventory.

They could make the stacks higher for all items and reduce many of these issues.

But to the two trolls, you do realize that many of the mechanics are designed SPECIFICALLY to clog our inventory so you have to buy more slots.

As an example, when leveling Omega rep things take say 50 of an item. Well you need 3 open slots for those because they only stack to 20. Doing one of the New Romulas missions, well you need 5 open slots to store the armor. Doing Mind Game, well have a clear row for all the items you have to pick up to do the mission.

It doesnt matter how many slots I buy, those fill up with out even trying.

My major issue at the Moment is that I mailed many items Monday for my Romulan. Now I cant tell what mails I have taken the attachments from and which one could be delete. Since this has never been an issue Im not even sure what is in what mail because in the past you could simply view the attachments.

Had I known this was going to happen I could have prepared.

As others have stated rather than making some extra money from people buying expanded inventories, people will simply create more and more mule accounts. It simply creates another problem.

These items arent real. They exist only as a few characters in a spreadsheet on the database. Any storage limits are fictitous and made up by cyrptic to suit their whims
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tarrennis wrote: »
    I'm outraged at a 100 mail attachment limit per character. If Cryptic means to make it 100 mail attachments per account, that is insane! Why should anyone buy a character slot to further dilute their own mail storage?

Why can't someone official make an official comment giving the specifics of the limit and its intent?

My guess would be that they do not want it to come to the attention of player base as a whole by even replying to this topic.

Another would be that they feel its is a low priority issue at lease from their stand point.

They did it as a stealth nerf, meaning that there were no patch notes on it, no discussion before LOR release no nothing and when more realize what cryptic has done it will be like the other stealth nerfs that they did previous to this one... which is that it will blow up in their face as usual.

So sad that the only official response from any of them was from Bran himself on twitter mind you, making a comment that it was never intended as infinite space, which that in itself is false there is a limit just far more generous then anything they are trying to do now.

All the while we got the blind white knights out defending them on this like all other stealth nerfs they did in the past.

I can tell you the reason it is a stealth nerf is because they know it would of blown up far worse then it already has otherwise and people are still busy trying to pay their new romulan alt to realize what is going on.

But some that have notice somewhat think it is a bug that they are working on like the real mail deletion bug that is happening at the same time right now.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Blind white knight or trolls or a bit of both no surprise to see them in here as usual.

They either purposely do it to fire us up or really do honestly believe that everything cryptic changes for better or in this case worse is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But as most stealth nerfs they did not take the time to even post it in the patch notes want to know why?

They know that it would of blown up even faster in thier faces had they put it in so they sneakily as usual didn't because it would of soured the expansion release.

But honestly I get tired of every change that cryptic makes like this especially if it is unannounced that get high praises by the defenders.

I personally do not like being told I am exploiting a system that has been in the game since release.

If by that definition anything we do in game that is been there since release has the potential to be a exploit, even you know.... playing the freaking game.

Which in of itself is madness to be even saying such BS.
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Like others have said, this is absolutely ridiculous. Where are we supposed to store all those DOFFS to contribute to Starbase Projects?

Considering it now costs 10x more dilithium to grin 5 commons up into an uncommon to save room than it used to and it's a crapshoot of what you will get back out of it... If you take away the mail doff storage system, make the unused ones stackable or something and able to put in the bank like data samples. Or cut a hole in the floor of the starbases so we can chuck them into the tubing until we need to yank one out to hammer into a hull sheeting. This wasn't even an issue until we needed literally hundreds of doffs per week for missions. And I certainly will not purchase another duty officer cadre if I have nowhere to put the ones that don't match. Spend cash to turn around and spend dilithium on top of it so I grind them up into very rares just to have room to stuff them? HAHAHAHA
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited May 2013
    i think that everyone in this thread that says this change is a good thing or doesnt care doesnt donate doffs to their fleet..

we are working toward t5 science and need 1000s of specific medic doffs.
    the current system doesnt allow you to just go forth and pick medic doffs from doff packs or even science sb doffs.. its all random.

so again. what does one do with the excess? release them? perhaps they need to add a sell back program.
    they even added a huge dil cost to upgrade them :( its not worth it..
    you can only sell 40 on the exchange.. so when you buy 300 at a time that doesnt really work.

donating doffs to t5 sb projects is worse then the dilithium nobody bothers to do it :(
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, they really screwed the players on this one, didn't they? And even more so the small fleet players.

Cryptic really has gone downhill these days.

For those of you not keeping track, the latest problem over in NW-land is that the morons at Cryptic decided to keep critical variables on the client instead of the server.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
This discussion has been closed.