Install Arc
Options

100-attachment mail limit

Comments

• Options
    tradiktradik Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Woah, Woah, Woah...

Are you honestly telling me that Exchange (un)sale Returns count toward this number?

So multiple characters on one account, full of Single Master Key postings, and they get returned due to lack of sale.... I'll be out of hundreds of millions of EC.

If this is true, can I ask for the name of the ignorant monkey-boy at Cryptic/PWE that decided this was a good idea?
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Watcha wanna bet they want peeps to setup mule accounts. It'll inflate their metrics so they can shop the data around to all those MMO sites and claim their new expansion brought in all these new players.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Watcha wanna bet they want peeps to setup mule accounts. It'll inflate their metrics so they can shop the data around to all those MMO sites and claim their new expansion brought in all these new players.

:eek:...that's evil! I prefer to think of it as the usual "unintended consequences" that seem to arise whenever they start messing with the underlying structure of the game, thank you.

It is possible you are right, though...:P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That is part of what I was getting at; the other part is that by doing this they are penalizing you for buying extra character slots. Think of it this way:
    One Silver account has 3 character slots, 100 max attachments, so approx 33 attachments available per character.
    One Gold account has 4 character slots, 100 max attachments, so approx 25 attachments available per character.
    One Silver account, purchasing the Two Character Slots at 625 Zen, has 5 character slots, 100 max attachments, so approx 20 attachments available per character.
    One Gold account, purchasing the Four Character Slots at 1065 Zen, has 8 character slots, 100 max attachments, so approx 12 attachments available per character.

You do see that they are (unintentionally, I hope) penalizing you for spending Zen on character slots, right? At the very least a limit of 50 attachments per character slot would allow for the potential return of one full Exchange cycle and 2 full mailings to be sent. It might also get folks to spend more money on character slots, rather than motivating them not to...
    methos71 wrote: »
    You've brought up a phenomenal point with your post, that I hadn't considered thus far, Breadandcircuses!

I've long been content to simply have one character and one character alone, my Fed Tac. Yet, with all this new Klingon and Romulan content, I was resolved, and I should stress WAS, to create two additional characters, in order to explore said new content. Hell, I might even have eventually spent as much money on those additional two characters as I already have upon my single Fed Tac.

So very glad you've enlightened me otherwise Breadandcircuses. Honestly, I had no idea that the devs have been conspiring to discourage us from exploring all this new content and potentially shelling out more money to their mess of a company.

Your insight has done us all a service.:)

And it's further occurred to me that expanding my character repertoire beyond having a Fed, Klingon and Romulan character is now potentially detrimental to my overall account. I suppose it would be a bad idea to create 3 characters for each faction now, eh? I.E. 1 Tac, 1 Sci, 1 Eng for each of the factions, to simply explore all the possibilities of the game.

Hmmm...I'm a numerophobe, but I'm guessing that would thin out this new 100 attachment limit even further, wouldn't it?
    tradik wrote: »
    Woah, Woah, Woah...

Are you honestly telling me that Exchange (un)sale Returns count toward this number?

So multiple characters on one account, full of Single Master Key postings, and they get returned due to lack of sale.... I'll be out of hundreds of millions of EC.

If this is true, can I ask for the name of the ignorant monkey-boy at Cryptic/PWE that decided this was a good idea?

LOL, I've been worried about my personal impact in all this, with only one character, and nearly 40 items likely lost to the void in exhange returns, when I see fit to log in again. Potentially millions of EC lost for me, should that occur.

Dread to think the potential loss to those with multiple characters upon an account, given what Breadandcircuses has determined.:(
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2013
    :eek:...that's evil! I prefer to think of it as the usual "unintended consequences" that seem to arise whenever they start messing with the underlying structure of the game, thank you.

It is possible you are right, though...:P

I would've believed unintended consequences had it not been for a twitter post that made it to the forums, from bran acknowledging the attachment limit change and his utter contempt for the legitimate forum posters and readers for not posting the information here.

They know exactly what they're doing, there's no 'unintended' anything in this issue.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Any official word from one of the devs on the forum about all this yet????
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    methos71

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I would've believed unintended consequences had it not been for a twitter post that made it to the forums, from bran acknowledging the attachment limit change and his utter contempt for the legitimate forum posters and readers for not posting the information here.

They know exactly what they're doing, there's no 'unintended' anything in this issue.

Lormalak1, I've got a sense that you and I, along with a good many others, are of the same mind regarding this debacle. Yet, I'm hard pressed to fathom that an STO dev might've expressed 'utter contempt' towards the likes of you and I and others. Could you kindly share a link to said conversation on Twitter?
    methos71

• Options
    donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Any official word from one of the devs on the forum about all this yet????

They are probably still too busy trying to work out why a whole lot of people haven't even been able to log in to the game yet. Or why the servers seem to like throwing SNR's all over the place.

Might be nice if they had more than one person to communicate on the forums though; I do feel rather sorry for Bran as he appears to be Cryptics one and only forum rep (not counting the actual forum moderators here btw) which in and of itself is something of a disgrace.

Come along Cryptic, get your ducks in a row and get your arses on here with some proper news please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You'de have to ask kirisee about that one, he only posted an excerpt from it and claimed it was posted by someone who caught the conversation on twitter. Bran SHOULD've posted it HERE, himself on the official STO forums. I have yet to find any post by him today with any details about the new attachment limit other than the repost by kirisee (about post 100 in this thread).

BTW, he's not a dev, he's the community manager (public relations or something like that).
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited May 2013
    You'de have to ask kirisee about that one, he only posted an excerpt from it and claimed it was posted by someone who caught the conversation on twitter. Bran SHOULD've posted it HERE, himself on the official STO forums. I have yet to find any post by him today with any details about the new attachment limit other than the repost by kirisee (about post 100 in this thread).

BTW, he's not a dev, he's the community manager (or something like that).

So, perhaps you're referring to the Twitter conversation thread at the start of this very forum thread then?

Not that it matters, as such an egregious change should have been addressed directly, right here, on the STO Forums.

Or, has STO outsourced their patch notes notices to Twitter????
    methos71

• Options
    edited May 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=699761&page=3
    I didn't know how they were supposedly handling the mail delete thing, but some poster in another thread posted Bran's Twitter feed (that i went and read) that basically said we should not lose our mail.

Hey, i'm not happy about this delete bug, so i'm not selling on the exchange until i know it's fixed....sure not going to risk losing an 80 or 90 mil ship lol

post #24

<edit> ya looks like the OP twitter link, I admit I didn't read it till now, but sheesh- stealth nerf, no patch notes, community manager knows all about it and says nothing on the forums.

Conspiracy ?
    ...or just a 'duh, I forgot to post the info' moment ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited May 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=699761&page=3

post #24

<edit> ya looks like the OP twitter link, I admit I didn't read it till now, but sheesh- stealth nerf, no patch notes, community manager knows all about it and says nothing on the forums.

Conspiracy ?
    ...or just a 'duh, I forgot to post the info' moment ?

I'm pretty much thinking that 'duh' is the least likely cause of all this, given that it's pretty clear, after checking out that OP twitter link, that said dev was all brimming with bluster and confidence about this whole mess, despite no formal declaration of the change here on the forums.

Am I missing out on something, or should we all be looking to Twitter for news of major game changes?
    methos71

• Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Am I missing out on something, or should we all be looking to Twitter for news of major game changes?

It is odd that they communicate more information on another company's site than they do their own, isn't it? To be entirely honest, though, that is not an isolated practice. The main failing this particular company has in that regard is that they don't actually have their own Twitter feeds either replicated, re-posted or imported on their main page; Turbine was always good about that, though lacking in other areas (obviously, I'm here and not there).
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It is odd that they communicate more information on another company's site than they do their own, isn't it? To be entirely honest, though, that is not an isolated practice. The main failing this particular company has in that regard is that they don't actually have their own Twitter feeds either replicated, re-posted or imported on their main page; Turbine was always good about that, though lacking in other areas (obviously, I'm here and not there).

A curious point of order, to be sure Breadandcircuses. Yet, said point of order still doesn't address the sheer ineptitude of discussing such an un-officially announced change as the one we're debating here, right now, eh?

Where's some official word on the official game forum about a change to a system that's been in place since this game's inception, eh????!!!!!!!
    methos71

• Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited May 2013
    Originally Posted by kirisee
    According to Bran it will not eat your attachments, as you take your attachments back and delete the mail, a new mail with attachment will be delivered, then claim that stuff and so on. (thats as long as the delete bug doesn't interfere with this and mail stay queued until the bug is fixedl).

question.. in what way does this take load off the system?
    if its still storing your items.. even tho you cant access them.. they are still there???

seems illogical. :(

so what keeps you from emailing your items to yourself on another account?? you go over 100 they are still in the system.. just cant get them util you remove some..

again someone wasnt thinking straight and had too much time to mess something up that worked just fine.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    They are probably still too busy trying to work out why a whole lot of people haven't even been able to log in to the game yet. Or why the servers seem to like throwing SNR's all over the place.

Might be nice if they had more than one person to communicate on the forums though; I do feel rather sorry for Bran as he appears to be Cryptics one and only forum rep (not counting the actual forum moderators here btw) which in and of itself is something of a disgrace.

Come along Cryptic, get your ducks in a row and get your arses on here with some proper news please.

Oh Donutsmasher, don't feel sorry for Bran at all, I certainly don't; especially given that since I last posted my inquiry here, I discovered that Bran has known about this problem all along, but has preferred to talk about it on Twitter, rather than here, in these forums, where such notices properly belong.

And here: https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/337558776494321664
    Would be your proof of that.

Though yes indeed Breadandcircuses, I couldn't agree with you more that Cryptic ought 'get their duck in a row and their arses on here with some proper news please!:rolleyes:
    methos71

• Options
    donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh Donutsmasher, don't feel sorry for Bran at all, I certainly don't; especially given that since I last posted my inquiry here, I discovered that Bran has known about this problem all along, but has preferred to talk about it on Twitter, rather than here, in these forums, where such notices properly belong.

And here: https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/337558776494321664
    Would be your proof of that.

Though yes indeed Breadandcircuses, I couldn't agree with you more that Cryptic ought 'get their duck in a row and their arses on here with some proper news please!:rolleyes:

OK, I no longer feel sorry for him.

EDIT: Just to expand on this a little, I have to say that was a disgusting move by Cryptic. There was no announcement in the patch notes, no warning of any kind aside from the "Oops we tried to (insert rude word) over the only real method anyone has of storing DOFFS and we broke stuff in the process" note from the second set of LOR patch notes.

To then go to a completely unrelated website and quietly and sneakily admit to this drastic change there, instead of in the one place that the majority of players are likely to look for answers shows an astounding level of contempt for the consumers of this product, paying or otherwise.

I have seen this kind of behavior before and it very nearly brought the game and the company to a crashing halt. This sort of attitude is a slippery slope Cryptic, and if you don't want to heed my words, go and speak with the CEO of CCP games. He thought it would be a good idea to treat his customers like mushrooms (keep them in the dark and feed them bull), until his customers firmly reminded him that they were the reason he got a paycheck. Perhaps you should think about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Accolade achieved: "Feel No Sorry For Him"
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013

EDIT: Just to expand on this a little, I have to say that was a disgusting move by Cryptic. There was no announcement in the patch notes, no warning of any kind aside from the "Oops we tried to (insert rude word) over the only real method anyone has of storing DOFFS and we broke stuff in the process" note from the second set of LOR patch notes.

To then go to a completely unrelated website and quietly and sneakily admit to this drastic change there, instead of in the one place that the majority of players are likely to look for answers shows an astounding level of contempt for the consumers of this product, paying or otherwise.

I have seen this kind of behavior before and it very nearly brought the game and the company to a crashing halt. This sort of attitude is a slippery slope Cryptic, and if you don't want to heed my words, go and speak with the CEO of CCP games. He thought it would be a good idea to treat his customers like mushrooms (keep them in the dark and feed them bull), until his customers firmly reminded him that they were the reason he got a paycheck. Perhaps you should think about that.

Spot on, yet again, Donutsmasher! Thing that kills me about all this nonsense, is that the likes of you and I and other regular Forum readers have properly caught on to this sort of nonsense, pointedly with regard to this latest and needless issue.

Yet, it's become increasingly evident to me that STO's devs have been counting on all the 'look, we've given you tons of new shiny stuff' bit, to distract most players from changes to the fundamental structure of this game, that were established three years ago, with this game's inception.

Thing that kills me is that it's pretty clear that line of reasoning has been proven true and it might be a while before this stealth change becomes apparent to the veteran playerbase at large.

But ya know what, I encourage ya all to remain as persistent as I've been about spilling liquid into the winds. After all, it should be pretty clear that eventually we're all gonna spill enough liquid to a point where this dam is gonna break.
    methos71

• Options
    edited May 2013
    the email system says i have new email but i dont have any unread ones i can find..
    does this mean somewhere in the system i have a limbo item that may just vanish sometime due to a bug?

i cant delete any emails.

this system is stupid.. i dont understand if it holds items for you in limbo.. what is the difference then letting the email go through?
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    rvlion79rvlion79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I remember a time before the account bank existed and the only method to transfer items between characters was using the ingame mail system.

The fact that this feature still exists does not mean that this is intentional.

Personally I believe that it is just plain BS to use the ingame mail system as additional storage, if you have no room to house additional Boffs... Dont buy them.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rvlion79 wrote: »
    I remember a time before the account bank existed and the only method to transfer items between characters was using the ingame mail system.

The fact that this feature still exists does not mean that this is intentional.

Personally I believe that it is just plain BS to use the ingame mail system as additional storage, if you have no room to house additional Boffs... Dont buy them.

you obviously dont play enough to notice the impact this has..

dont buy them?

you kidding.. like you can just NOT buy the doffs you dont want..

the doffs you get are RANDOM.. you BUY 300 of them to get maybe 50 you can use..
    the 250 you have left are pretty much wasted at this point if you cant keep them?

you can only purchase so many upgrades to the DOFF system.. once you hit the cap its done..

then what?

send them to another char that can use them.. how do you do that?? THROUGH THE EMAIL SYSTEM....

you cant put doffs in the account bank..
  • Options
    rvlion79rvlion79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »
    you obviously dont play enough to notice the impact this has..

dont buy them?

you kidding.. like you can just NOT buy the doffs you dont want..

the doffs you get are RANDOM.. you BUY 300 of them to get maybe 50 you can use..
    the 250 you have left are pretty much wasted at this point if you cant keep them?

you can only purchase so many upgrades to the DOFF system.. once you hit the cap its done..

then what?

send them to another char that can use them.. how do you do that?? THROUGH THE EMAIL SYSTEM....

you cant put doffs in the account bank..
    I play enough actually, more then my wife would probably be happy with.
    However I do not feel the need to store every useless piece of equipment, boff or doff that I come across during my gameplay.
    The problem is not the use of sending to another char by use of the ingame mail system, more the fact that it appears some complain about suddenly their "storage" being lessened.
  • Options
    satinaviansatinavian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Problem is, they pretty much abolished the only method to exchange doffs for other ones that could be used en mass.

Result -> unwanted low quality doffs piled up, prizes went down

Then they introduced doff sinks. Which work perfectly but can only be used for certain kind of doffs.

Those new sinks even worked so well, that the doff demand rose and far more doffs were recruited then before. But because the recruited doffs are random and the sink demand does not match the probability distribution of generated doffs at all, the production of unwanted doffs even rose.

Now, instead of introducing a sink for large numbers of doffs of unwanted kind, we get the mail storage removed.

Why did the people even use the mail for doffs ? Because you can't pile them. And because the system produces amounts of unwanted doffs the regular storage system even with expansions can never hold.

What will people do now ? Basically stop recruiting white doffs. Because they can't storage them and the change they can use them on the starbase and don't need further storage is too low. Which means, starbase doff prices will even rise further and more constructions come to an halt.

It would be not a real problem, if those ridiculous dill prices for the doff exchange vanished. But no...

As a side note :

100 attachments per account is not a lot. Because it is account wide. With 10 toons you are looking at 10 attachments per toon, which already might be a problem for people trading a lot. Especcially if you decide, you need a bit of ec and sell 40*5 contarbands or a 10-pack of keys one a piece.

Calling mail storage an "exploit" and suggesting the creation of mule-toons instead is incredibly stupid as the latter are far more exploity.
  • Options
    xsharpexxsharpex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cryptic definitely screwed the pooch on this one. but then again, what else is new?

they should have left the mail system the way it was when this game first launched. you had one mailbox across thd whole system. nowadays, there are three seperate mailboxes per account. one account wide mailbox, a per toon mailbox and your forum mailbox.

i remember the old days when you could see exchange sold notices from the forums and when an exchange listing expired, you could.claim it from any toon on the account.

to me, this all seems redundent and excessive as you would have to allocate a certain amount of space, even capped, per every created toon per account. it seems very wasteful in terms of server space, which I'm sure could be better utilized elsewhere.

there's just so much waste and inefficient practices over there that it boggles the mind as to how anything gets done. if it were up to.me, which it obviously isn't, i would've taken down tribble and repatriated its server resources and bandwidth for holodeck functions. and don't tell me it can't be done, brcause we all know that's a lie. every time there's a huge update, they roll out tribble and redshirt. where do you think those resources and that bandwidth comes from? why do you think we experience laggier conditions such as skipping and rubberbanding as well as the ever prevalent server not responding messages? what do you think they're doing during those one and a half to two hour emergency maintenance sessions?

the decision to stealth nerf your precious mailbox storage space is just another way for them to try and streamline a poorly executed and highly inefficient system on their end. much like how some asinine developer decided to unleash the cap on exchange listings during the recent exchange revamp, while caused everyone to lag due to everyone spamming the exchange for master keys and having their servers taxed trying to identify, sort and then report 2400 listings per player per every time they searched, which in my case and many others, back to back to back repeatedly. they were smart enough to recap the exchange at 400 yesterday and things have since smoothed down. just another example of cryptic's inability to understand its own systems.

don't get me wrong, it's not the fault of one person per se, but just a shot at how things are run over at cryptic. no, i probably couldn't do a better job, i'm just the ******* who points this stuff out.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    satinavian wrote: »

As a side note :

100 attachments per account is not a lot. Because it is account wide. With 10 toons you are looking at 10 attachments per toon, which already might be a problem for people trading a lot. Especcially if you decide, you need a bit of ec and sell 40*5 contarbands or a 10-pack of keys one a piece.

Calling mail storage an "exploit" and suggesting the creation of mule-toons instead is incredibly stupid as the latter are far more exploity.

this +1

this new change has made having 1 account with several chars not as good as multiple accounts with 1 char.

if you need to store 100 doffs, just make a new account.. im sure this is what cryptic wanted... heh.
  • Options
    emt27emt27 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have no prob capping the amt of mail you can keep, it probably was started as an idea to save room on the server.

BUT let us delete the ones we don't need please..

White doffs or really any unwanted doffs became a problem when they rose the dilith price on trade in. Lower the price back or at least to something more reasonable and I think much of the complaining will go away.. with the ability to delete mail
    Say something relavant or hold your tongue
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its this kind of underhanded nonsense that really lets cryptic down and demolishes player trust.

I really love the new expansion, but this slimy kind of behavior just takes everyone a step back. At least announce it.

Coming soon: Increased mailbox size 500 zen! (can be unlocked 30 times!)
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    warpangel wrote: »
    This is completely unacceptable as long as the game uses mail attachments to send you expired exchange items. Everyone now has at least 3 toon slots and each of them can sell 40 items. 100 attachments isn't enough even if your mailbox is empty.

Agreed. This is a pathetic attempt to make us buy more inventory/account slots Cryptic, and we're not buying it. It wasn't discussed or announced in any way which leads me to believe it was done this way so as not to really anger the player base.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    emt27emt27 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    didn't even think of that.. perhaps that's their intent :'( .. guess we will find other ways, we always do.

Please just let me delete.. when you get a fleet mail you get a copy for every single toon in that fleet.. ouch...

Whatever is done.. the current situation is not acceptable
    Say something relavant or hold your tongue
This discussion has been closed.