Options

Star Trek into Darkness..Did you notice... SPOILERS!! Enter if you dare

Comments

• Options
    scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    khan5000 wrote: »
    point taken

I like the refit Enterprise because it looked more like an actual starship than a model like the tv series.

By the way, if my reply came off as snippy, it definitely wasn't intended. I just kind of used your comment as a springboard to a tangential point.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it will be destroyed by two corporations that fight and argue over the rights until nothing is released...it's the same thing keeping the 66' Batman series from coming out on dvd.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    By the way, if my reply came off as snippy, it definitely wasn't intended. I just kind of used your comment as a springboard to a tangential point.

i didn't take it as snippy...just it seems whenever someone brings up the ship a few posters refer to it as "a piece of TRIBBLE". I agree that what people like is up to the person but I just didn't see anything to be upset about the ship.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kain9prime wrote: »
    My point was that we had worse productions before 2009, and Trek was able to make a comeback. The franchise is not going to be destroyed, just as Star Wars was not destroyed by Ewoks of ROTJ, or Kid Anakin and creepy Teen Anakin of the 1st two prequel movies.

;)

Ahhhh, now I see your point ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,994 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Klingons had ridges, even though in TOS, they had no ridges. It's like JJ ignored the two Enterprise episodes which explain the reason there were ridgeless Klingons.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      edited May 2013
      The Klingons had ridges, even though in TOS, they had no ridges. It's like JJ ignored the two Enterprise episodes which explain the reason there were ridgeless Klingons.

That's not exactly a new thing. TMP ignored that they didn't have ridges without giving any explanation. And that was fine. They had a better budget so they made the aliens look more alien.

It was absolutely 100% (IMO) the right decision to make the Klingons have ridges. That's simply how they're known now. Nobody gets offended that TMP, Star Trek 3, Star Trek 5, Star Trek 6, TNG, Voyager, and most of the TNG movies gave them ridges, even though - at the time - there was absolutely no explanation for it.

But if you really want an explanation, it's easy. The Enterprise episodes clearly show that not every Klingon lost the ridges. Perhaps the Klingons in the movie weren't among the infected. Or perhaps the databanks of Nero's ship gave them information to rectify it early.

Of course, it doesn't matter. Continuity or not, making them look human simply because TOS didn't have the budget for anything better would have been a massive mistake.
    • Options
      edited May 2013

they could have been non affected Klingons
      or
      the means of returning the Klingons to their ridged form was discovered earlier.
      Your pain runs deep.
    • Options
      daninmsdaninms Member Posts: 3 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      themarie wrote: »
      Ok, only real quibble I have is this. We've seen Earth Space Dock. We know there are ships in orbit/around Earth...

Where is the fleet and ESD when the Enterprise is falling? Should have ESD sent a ******n TUG at least? Were there NO other ships around AT ALL? ESD was on the OTHER SIDE of the planet, AGAIN?

Ya know at least a throw away line or two would have been nice. "We are falling, request assistance from Space Dock!" "They don't have anything available..."

At least acknowledge there *are* other assets, especially since we saw them earlier in the film.

Yeah, that bugged me too. Also to me it just seemed they were in Klingon space one second and boom they were back in the SOL system in a snap. Seemed waay to quick.
    • Options
      bermanatorbermanator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      I'm not reading through all the posts, so sorry if somebody's already said this.

I did not like the Klingons! They wore Klingon(-esque) uniforms, looked kinda Klingon, but didn't act Klingon. I cannot see Klingons wearing masks, I would think that Klingons would want their enemies to see their faces (see Klingon Honor).

I think the movie paid way too much homage to the original Star Trek. Obviously not bad for us Trekkies, but I think it might hurt your ordinary moviegoers. They definitely won't laugh at the Tribble, nor the KHAAAAAN!, nor the Kirk "death" sequence.

Finally, am I the only one that noticed that the reboot literally reflects the original Star Trek. Spock and Kirk switch places (Kirk "dies", Spock screams Khan), Original Wrath of Khan came after Enterprise's 5 year mission whereas Into Darkness/New Wrath of Khan came before Enterprise's 5 year mission.

P.S. I heard a Mudd reference!

EDIT: When I saw the Vengence at its dock (before realizing what it was), I was thinking: "great here come the Borg." Anybody else?

DOUBLE EDIT: 42! Stop it JJ! You know it's 47!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      bermanatorbermanator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      This is JJ Trek now. Enterprise never happened.

Enterprise happened. They had models of all the Enterprises (similar to what we have in the Fleet Starbases) at the Admiral's office, if I remember correctly. NX-01, the colony ship (XCV 330), were both on there. Although a U.S.S. Kelvin (one nacelle) ship was on the rack for some reason.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      edited May 2013
      bermanator wrote: »
      P.S. I heard a Mudd reference!

The Mudd reference was just plain awesome. :)
    • Options
      paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      I just got home from seeing it. The story was surprisingly clever - it didn't so much mimic certain moments from TWOK as it did turn them upside down and inside out.

The ending reminded me more than a little of The Dark Knight - maybe they're saving Cumberbatch for the third movie. If that's true, let's just hope that works out better for him than it did for Heath Ledger.
    • Options
      chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      Saw STID> That movie was baffling. Good moving though.
      Should I start posting again after all this time?
    • Options
      kpg1usakpg1usa Member Posts: 190 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      Adm. G.: Did you get the license off that starship? It had the word "MACK " emblazoned across the deflector. My brain and heart got scrambled... JJ, you green hearted son of a.... Dammit. Dammit! (expletives) What the frack was that? Where the heck's my uniform?
      Doc. Holiday: Revenge...
      Adm. G.: For what???
      Doc. Holiday: For bein' born...
      Adm. G.: Doc, if you see JJ, tell him to email my heart and brains back to me tonite! I need them for my duty shift tomorrow! Holy Hannah! BRAVO JJ, I am in a state of actual physical shock right now... Excellent work on the Neural Neutralizer that you created, w/ the help of Spock's Brain no doubt...
      Random token Orion chick: BRAIN! BRAIN! BRAIN! What is BRAIN?!
      Adm. G.: Seriously, what the hell just happened? What the Hell did I just watch? Almost 4 decades of life, and I am reduced to Jello in the theater. Doc, is it serious?
      Doc. Holiday: JJTrek? Extremely serious. It starts with a slight fever and
      dryness of the throat. When the film penetrates the
      red blood cells, the victim becomes dizzy, begins to
      experience an itchy rash, then the poison goes to work
      on the central nervous system, severe muscle spasms,
      followed by the inevitable grueling. At this point,
      the entire digestive system collapses accompanied by
      uncontrollable flatulence. Until finally, the poor TRIBBLE is reduced to a
      quivering wasted piece of jelly. (Credit: Airplane!)
      Adm. G.: Oh my God. I'm back. I'm home, in the 80's. All the time, it was... We finally really did it. You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell! (Credit: PotA)

Seriously, outstanding, great movie! It completely tore me apart... I feel like I was hit by a Mack truck, then won the lottery and a date w/ a supermodel... Umm, thank you? I think?
    • Options
      edited May 2013
    • Options
      jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      themarie wrote: »
      Ok, only real quibble I have is this. We've seen Earth Space Dock. We know there are ships in orbit/around Earth...

Where is the fleet and ESD when the Enterprise is falling? Should have ESD sent a ******n TUG at least? Were there NO other ships around AT ALL? ESD was on the OTHER SIDE of the planet, AGAIN?

That?s taken right from Star Trek Generations, when the Enterprise B launched and was the only Starship around to save the El-Aurians.

I said to myself, ?Really, the 2nd ship to dawn the name Enterprise and no other Starship is around to marvel in the new flag ship with its upgrades in design.?

The only thing I can think of is that everything was out for maintenance and was due back on Tuesday... just their luck.
    • Options
      edited May 2013
      jrq2 wrote: »
      That?s taken right from Star Trek Generations, when the Enterprise B launched and was the only Starship around to save the El-Aurians.

I said to myself, ?Really, the 2nd ship to dawn the name Enterprise and no other Starship is around to marvel in the new flag ship with its upgrades in design.?

The only thing I can think of is that everything was out for maintenance and was due back on Tuesday... just their luck.

In TMP the cloud was 3 days from Earth and the Enterprise was the only ship in intercept range.
      In WoK...when Kirk gets the garbled message from Carol they are sent because they are the closest ship.

I honestly think starfleet only has 3 ships
      Your pain runs deep.
    • Options
      jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      Anyone feel the Khan!!!! scene was a joke? I don't mean what a joke! I mean really was it there to make us laugh. I was on the edge of my seat with epic joy with this movie! I love it. Then he yells Khan!!!! and I and one or 2 other people actually laughed. Could JJ made that scene as a joke lol.

Look at it on the orginal TWOK. Kirk yells it at Khan. Khan heard it threw the communicator. But spock just.. yells it lol.
    • Options
      edited May 2013
      Run around STO yelling KHAN!, and see if anyone yells back NOONIAN SINGH! LOL! :)
    • Options
      sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      And the Vengence, guess they recovered Sensor Data from the Narada and links to the Enterprise-E, since the Dreadnaught-class (Vengence) was very Sovereign-esque.

Looked like Sovereign-class with the Imperial skin at parts from this game to me.
    • Options
      snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      bermanator wrote: »
      I cannot see Klingons wearing masks, I would think that Klingons would want their enemies to see their faces (see Klingon Honor).

Wait, what? Klingons don't wear masks? And if they hide their appearance they have less honor?

But ... THIS! I mean the first thing I thought of when I saw the Klingons like that was, "Wow, they just paid homage to the KHG armor set!" The whole thing looks like a TOS style KHG armor set.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      edited May 2013
      gfreeman98 wrote: »
      Interesting - sounds like Mr. Abrams is disappointed he's denied a piece of the merchandising royalties.

All I can say is "Buh-bye!" Don't let the turbolift doors hit you in the TRIBBLE on the way out.

Nah. It's more of a hassle between the internal issues of the two companies that prevented a new TV series from ever getting off the ground.

Which, you know, most folks around here I thought would have liked.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      khan5000 wrote: »
      it will be destroyed by two corporations that fight and argue over the rights until nothing is released...it's the same thing keeping the 66' Batman series from coming out on dvd.
      Just as an FYI, CBS and Paramount, while different corporations, are both primarily owned by National Amusements - owned by Sumner Redstone. Sumner gets to dictate what each corporation does, and so if he wanted CBS and Paramount to play nice they would play nice.
      STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    • Options
      whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      Wait, what? Klingons don't wear masks? And if they hide their appearance they have less honor?

But ... THIS! I mean the first thing I thought of when I saw the Klingons like that was, "Wow, they just paid homage to the KHG armor set!" The whole thing looks like a TOS style KHG armor set.

Actually, the helmets/masks were in outtakes of the 2009 movie. The KHG helmet/mask was actually homage to the outtakes for Star Trek: 2009.
    • Options
      edited May 2013
      Actually, the helmets/masks were in outtakes of the 2009 movie. The KHG helmet/mask was actually homage to the outtakes for Star Trek: 2009.

Fascinating.

So yeah, that really makes me more confused with bermanator's commentary. The Klingons definitely do seem a-OK wearing masks. Honor intact.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      admiralbrad77admiralbrad77 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      darakoss wrote: »
      Nero created the Alt verse way AFTER Enterprise. So yeah it happened:rolleyes:

i totally agree, the alt universe created by Nero is waaaay after Enterprise. Because one reason, Kirk wasnt even thought of when Archer was the same age when he was captain. I loved the ship statues in the office, i loved how the klingons looked and i especially love how the new Carol Marcus looks she looks hott.
    • Options
      edited May 2013
      ok i got a quick question off the subject though, according the the movies, but also factoring in the STO captain classes, what class would Kirk be under, TAC, ENG, or SCI?
    • Options
      edited May 2013
      ok i got a quick question off the subject though, according the the movies, but also factoring in the STO captain classes, what class would Kirk be under, TAC, ENG, or SCI?

TAC, definitely.
    • Options
      edited May 2013
      TAC, definitely.

thats what i was thinking but why wear the engineering uniform?
    • Options
      akalayusakalayus Member Posts: 43 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      thats what i was thinking but why wear the engineering uniform?

In TOS, Gold was Command, Red was Engineering, and Science/Medical was Blue.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]