test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek into Darkness..Did you notice... SPOILERS!! Enter if you dare

Comments

• captiandata1captiandata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    admiral marcus is a evil bad TRIBBLE in any time line. i was glad that i was able to see the pre screening of into darkness in my city. without my giving away any details i feel that jj abrams had gotten a good amount of canon in to the story. yes au time line and the prime time line the events happen at different times periods slightly. thank jj abrams because you have taken the time to make a star trek movie for star trekers and star trek trekies at the same time a movie for the masses with star trek into darkness
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    begerac wrote: »
    Hand Com of Scotty have range from Sol to Kronos?

I know right! That's like the star trek equivalent of using a cellphone in Delaware to call Thailand!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captiandata1captiandata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it took me a few time to watch the first jj abrams star trek 2009 to see that even with the changes to the au time like that is was still star trek ofter i saw the pre screening or star trek into darkness it felt had a lot of good canon. i am deffently going gack to see star trek into darkness in theater either on launch day tomorroe may 17, 2013 or some time soon after
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    Ok, only real quibble I have is this. We've seen Earth Space Dock. We know there are ships in orbit/around Earth...

Where is the fleet and ESD when the Enterprise is falling? Should have ESD sent a ******n TUG at least? Were there NO other ships around AT ALL? ESD was on the OTHER SIDE of the planet, AGAIN?

Their captains were all dead.
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    Now lets nic pic on something. It was not a secret ship! All you had to do was look at the admirals models.

I wondered about that too. Maybe he told people it was just a design idea?
    Secret base in Sol System, shuttle aproach it, no **** were given:confused: Didnt know that Klingon Home World didnt have any ships around it to protect it. Guess all where somewhere else.

They were destroyed by the Narada. I guess.

I did like, however, that they seemed to really get the feeling of the vastness of space, and how even the mightiest starships were very small in it. It also seems to me that there aren't that many ships in any fleet, which is more in keeping with TOS (compared to DS9).
    At the end of the film, when the camera pans across the hull of the Enterprise, I was highly expecting a letter "A" at the end of "NCC 1701".

The camera movement highly implied it would happen, to me at least, as you couldn't see it until it swang round. Oh well, thought it would have been the right time to introduce it.

Interestingly, in the Countdown to Darkness prequel comics,

SPOILER

we meet April, captain of the previous Enterprise. I guess they don't rename ships if it's the exact same model in this reality.

Although it's really the same ship throughout the movie - nothing like the heavy reconstruction between 1701 and 1701-A.
  • hebdahebda Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My biggest complaint about this movie, elements of the story was a complete rip off from Wrath of Khan. Which in my mind defeats the purpose of having the alternate timeline to begin with. To me, this movie was more of a re-imagining of Wrath of Khan.

Still not a horrible movie, but story wise, not as good as Star Trek (2009).
    “In the strict scientific sense we all feed on death…..even vegetarians.” – Spock
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll follow this up with the biggest nit I had to pick from the movie ...

No radiation suit for Kirk when he enters the irradiated area? Dubya Tee Eff? If you're going to go scene for scene with TWK, SPOCK PUT ON THE FREAKIN SUIT!

As i recall he only wore the gloves.

kirk used his feet.
    edited May 2013
    hebda wrote: »
    My biggest complaint about this movie, elements of the story was a complete rip off from Wrath of Khan. Which in my mind defeats the purpose of having the alternate timeline to begin with.

That's what I felt. Like immediately after the film. But I softened on it today. My friend just lent me the last 6 months of Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong and Bloodshot to get caught up on. And I sat there staring at this stack of Valiant Comics realizing why I love the new Valiant so much is because it is just that. A blend of the old Valiant with bold new strokes on these characters. Updating what was old into something new and fun. And I realized that while I myself would have probably liked it if they had stuck to just space seed stuff and steered clear of an TWOK stuff, or if they had gone in a totally new direction completely ... I can't hold a grudge over trying to give the new fans their TWOK moments. I don't think they do it as well as I feel Valiant's done it with their reboot. But I can dig why they tried to do it.

So I set that feeling aside (and I felt exactly as you described) and just enjoyed the Spock, Kirk, Scotty, Sulu and Bones moments this movie gave me.

And Alice Eve. MOAR Alice Eve please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just got back from seeing the 3D version and it wasn't bad. But like the spoilers indicated, I felt it was Wrath of Khan 2.0.

Though liked the NX-01 and Phoenix models on Marcus's desk, linking to the Original Timeline.

And the Vengence, guess they recovered Sensor Data from the Narada and links to the Enterprise-E, since the Dreadnaught-class (Vengence) was very Sovereign-esque.

dirlettia wrote: »
    I just wonder where they got Cryo tube #73 from for the scene at the end?

Also the uniforms at the beginning really show how JJ is going to be doing the Star Wars movies, not to mention he got Lucasarts involved in making the film as well.

Um, you mean Lucasfilm.

If you know your Trek, Lucasfilm (really ILM and Skywalker sound) has been involved in Star Trek since Wrath of Khan. It was ILM that created the Excelsior, the Akira, and more.
    themarie wrote: »
    Ok, only real quibble I have is this. We've seen Earth Space Dock. We know there are ships in orbit/around Earth...

Where is the fleet and ESD when the Enterprise is falling? Should have ESD sent a ******n TUG at least? Were there NO other ships around AT ALL? ESD was on the OTHER SIDE of the planet, AGAIN?

Ya know at least a throw away line or two would have been nice. "We are falling, request assistance from Space Dock!" "They don't have anything available..."

At least acknowledge there *are* other assets, especially since we saw them earlier in the film.

Heh, good point. Guess it could be explained they were in chaos since their captains were killed at the meeting and didn't have time to cold-start the engines to aid the Enterprise.

But I'm more concerned on the realism of them being by the Moon and magically ignoring it's gravity, and the Enterprise was being pulled by Earth's gravity like it was acting in low-orbit. They would've been in zero-G and taken days of drifting to hit the atmosphere.

Then again, it's Hollywood.
    edited May 2013
    As i recall he only wore the gloves.

kirk used his feet.

:)

I'm just saying that Kirk put a suit on to space jump. Spock put a suit on to go into a volcano. Kirk probably should have put on a suit to go into that chamber to begin with. A tiny nit to pick. I admit that. But it's the one I choose to pick. They establish they have these suits. And use them. So put on the suit Kirk!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wondered why they did not just use one of the others instead of having to recapture Khan.

I assumed because they did not just use another one of the people in the tubes that Khan's blood was the only one that worked. like he was the most advanced of all the augments (hence why he became the leader and could control the others).

also bit unethical to just keep whipping them out of stasis and taking blood, not to mention impractical, as it takes blood time to regenerate so that means leaving them out of statis for a while.

They mention in the movie that they didnt know the procedure or codes to waking them up and they'd die if they didn't do it right.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most fans loved Wrath of Kahn, which was all action and very little down time. What's the difference between it and the reboot? I love the reboot. Sure, it will never be like TOS or TNG, etc. So freaking what? If anyone made an Star Trek movie that was just like TOS or TNG, there'd be nothing but griping that the Star Trek universe was living in the past.

Into darkness was awesome, I saw it today and will grab the blue ray as soon as it comes out. I grew up on TOS was overjoyed when TNG came out was lukewarm with DS9 and Voy and Enterprise got stuck with horrible writers then it was gone, no one wanted to repeat that mistake so my chance at anymore trek was dashed. Thank god for JJ and his reboot to bring more trek into my life.
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    That's the same thing as last movie! One hero ship is all you get lol. Where the heck was Vulcan defence??? Where was earth's planetary defence? Lets see the earth was attacked on Enterprise, is has now been attacked twice in the last 2 movies. Where are the guns?? But before we attack JJ. Look at best of both worlds. Cube arrives and you see no guns popping from the planet.

This is JJ Trek now. Enterprise never happened.

Does anybody think JJ would allow any other Trek to mar his dream?

Besides of all the Trek series, Enterprise is the most expendable, especially Scott Bakula who was the exact opposite of what Archer was described as IE: A Husky Strong Brave Man with a Mustache instead of the effeminate whiny scrawny little TRIBBLE we got.
    Thanks God JJ is out and SW will now have to endure his ideas.

Why do people thinh he's out? I'm pretty sure he's on for 3. He will do both. We will have action and excitement in both franchises.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is JJ Trek now. Enterprise never happened.

Does anybody think JJ would allow any other Trek to mar his dream?

If Enterprise never happened, then why is there an NX model on the desk in the movie? :rolleyes:

Why do people thinh he's out? I'm pretty sure he's on for 3. He will do both. We will have action and excitement in both franchises.

Yeah, don't recall JJ saying he was done with Trek, but he is going to be awfully busy with the new Star Wars that will surely keep him busy for the next 5-6 years. Which likely means no new Trek movies for a long time.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't forget Admiral Archer and his beagle mentioned in the last movie.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nero created the Alt verse way AFTER Enterprise. So yeah it happened:rolleyes:
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
    edited May 2013
    I also saw a four nacelled ship at space dock...wasnt sure if it was a heavy cruiser or a prometheus type ship
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just came back from watching Into Darkness. OMFG I loved it! :D
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

edited May 2013
    Your pain runs deep.
    edited May 2013
    khan5000 wrote: »

Yup, Star Trek is like an only child stuck between parents that have split up, and they constantly argue over said child, pulling them from pillar to post.

Eventually it will be the undoing of Star Trek as a franchise :(
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting - sounds like Mr. Abrams is disappointed he's denied a piece of the merchandising royalties.

All I can say is "Buh-bye!" Don't let the turbolift doors hit you in the TRIBBLE on the way out.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
    edited May 2013
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    Interesting - sounds like Mr. Abrams is disappointed he's denied a piece of the merchandising royalties.

All I can say is "Buh-bye!" Don't let the turbolift doors hit you in the TRIBBLE on the way out.

Directors don't see a dime of the merchandising....only the company/companies and the actors whose likeness is used.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Yup, Star Trek is like an only child stuck between parents that have split up, and they constantly argue over said child, pulling them from pillar to post.

Someone should just buy all the rights to Star Trek and stomp on CBS hard.
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because a depressing movie featuring things like a whiny villain, Troi mind r4pe and dune buggy scenes, and a lackluster prequel series kept it strong.

:rolleyes:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
    edited May 2013
    gfreeman98 wrote: »

And there'd be nothing wrong with him feeling that way. Have you ever worked on a project and not felt you've been fairly compensated for the time and effort you put in to making the project a success? If you've never felt that way, I envy you and the bubble you live in...

edited May 2013
    Maybe someone here can explain this to me...why the hate for the JJ-verse Enterprise? it looks just like TMP ship with a few additions.
    Your pain runs deep.
    edited May 2013
    kain9prime wrote: »
    Because a depressing movie featuring things like a whiny villain, Troi mind r4pe and dune buggy scenes, and a lackluster prequel series kept it strong.

Huh? My comment was aimed at CBS and Paramount. :rolleyes:

Despite them trying to kill of the Franchise constantly, I liked the JJ Abrams films...

As for that thing called Nemesis, well, I am not allowed to swear on the forums ;)
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe someone here can explain this to me...why the hate for the JJ-verse Enterprise? it looks just like TMP ship with a few additions.

I personally really like the look of the new ship, but I'm not sure your question is answerable. When it comes to personal opinions on something purely aesthetic, it's not like there are factual justifications. It's just personal opinion. You like how it looks or you don't. Nothing wrong with either opinion.

I like the refit Enterprise from the movies better than the one from the series, even though it's the same basic shape. I can't really give a reason for it because it's just my personal opinion.

I think several of the arguments in this forum come from people trying to give justifications for personal taste when "I just like the way it looks" is the most justifiable reason there is.
    edited May 2013
    Some people may honestly not like some aspects of the redesign, and I get that. Initially, I actually didn't care for it.

Then I changed my mind.

As for everyone else, they don't like it because it's another excuse for them to hate the movie and Abrams.
    edited May 2013
    I personally really like the look of the new ship, but I'm not sure your question is answerable. When it comes to personal opinions on something purely aesthetic, it's not like there are factual justifications. It's just personal opinion. You like how it looks or you don't. Nothing wrong with either opinion.

I like the refit Enterprise from the movies better than the one from the series, even though it's the same basic shape. I can't really give a reason for it because it's just my personal opinion.

I think several of the arguments in this forum come from people trying to give justifications for personal taste when "I just like the way it looks" is the most justifiable reason there is.

point taken

I like the refit Enterprise because it looked more like an actual starship than a model like the tv series.
    Your pain runs deep.
    edited May 2013
    Huh? My comment was aimed at CBS and Paramount. :rolleyes:

Despite them trying to kill of the Franchise constantly, I liked the JJ Abrams films...

As for that thing called Nemesis, well, I am not allowed to swear on the forums ;)
    My point was that we had worse productions before 2009, and Trek was able to make a comeback. The franchise is not going to be destroyed, just as Star Wars was not destroyed by Ewoks of ROTJ, or Kid Anakin and creepy Teen Anakin of the 1st two prequel movies.

;)