test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek into Darkness..Did you notice... SPOILERS!! Enter if you dare

Comments

• doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    Just want to point out that Sulu is now the official helmsman/pilot GOD of the Star Trek Universe.

He managed to pull an un-aerodynamic brick out of a spin/dive, regain altitude and hover... while Troi and Data managed to crash an aerodynamic frisbee into the ground while cussing at the view-screen.

The Captain Sulu foreshadowing was awesome.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One of the alternate possibilities for a Treks Not Taken type short story would be Kirk dying and Sulu eventually rising to command of the Enterprise.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Doesn't matter, though. Trek was specifically pitched to be a shoot 'em up style western. That was not likely what Roddenberry wanted, but it was TOS.

When Roddenberry made the first pilot, NBC passed on it because it was too intellectual... so Roddenberry made a second pilot that had more action and adventure, and NBC picked up that pilot.

So the folks getting angry that this movie went for action to get the masses should recognize that Roddenberry did the exact same thing with the first episode of Star Trek ever written.

Star Trek in particular wasn't. To say the majority of westerns were action/violent is incorrect. TOS was modeled as a 'Wagon Train' to the stars and Wagon Train did not center on violence/action but the journey out west. Roddenberry met a lot of writers and actors who would go on to become part of Trek while working on westerns, such as DC Fontana and DeForest Kelley.
  • scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Star Trek in particular wasn't. To say the majority of westerns were action/violent is incorrect. TOS was modeled as a 'Wagon Train' to the stars and Wagon Train did not center on violence/action but the journey out west. Roddenberry met a lot of writers and actors who would go on to become part of Trek while working on westerns, such as DC Fontana and DeForest Kelley.

I didn't say the majority of westerns were violent. I didn't comment on that one way or the other.

I said that Star Trek was pitched as a shoot 'em up western, which it was. It was originally turned down by NBC because it didn't have enough action/adventure. They thought the first pilot was too cerebral and made the unprecedented move to let Roddenberry make a second pilot that had more action.

Now, that said, "shoot 'em up" might be a little strong. But it most certainly was not a thoughtful drama about human interactions. That may have been what Roddenberry wanted, but that is not what got the show sold to NBC.

And if you watch Star Trek, there's plenty of shoot 'em up action going on.

And on a side note, Wagon Train had tons of action. The danger of the wilds was a basic theme throughout that entire show.
    edited May 2013
    I didn't say the majority of westerns were violent. I didn't comment on that one way or the other.

I said that Star Trek was pitched as a shoot 'em up western, which it was. It was originally turned down by NBC because it didn't have enough action/adventure. They thought the first pilot was too cerebral and made the unprecedented move to let Roddenberry make a second pilot that had more action.

Now, that said, "shoot 'em up" might be a little strong. But it most certainly was not a thoughtful drama about human interactions. That may have been what Roddenberry wanted, but that is not what got the show sold to NBC.

And if you watch Star Trek, there's plenty of shoot 'em up action going on.

And on a side note, Wagon Train had tons of action. The danger of the wilds was a basic theme throughout that entire show.

Yes, right, the other poster did. Obviously you aren't reading the thread. I am not going to debate with you and your condescending tone. I have watched all the episodes of TOS and likely all the episodes of Wagon Train because I am an old gray bush. Wagon Train of course contained action/violent elements, but the overlying theme of the whole series was the journey from Missouri to California. Perhaps if you'd watch a few episodes yourself you'd know that. ;)

Did anyone else notice the uniforms the Starfleet officer wore to the data archive look eerily like Imperial officer uniforms?
    edited May 2013
    Yes, right, the other poster did. Obviously you aren't reading the thread. I am not going to debate with you and your condescending tone. I have watched all the episodes of TOS and likely all the episodes of Wagon Train because I am an old gray bush. Wagon Train of course contained action/violent elements, but the overlying theme of the whole series was the journey from Missouri to California. Perhaps if you'd watch a few episodes yourself you'd know that. ;)

Did anyone else notice the uniforms the Starfleet officer wore to the data archive look eerily like Imperial officer uniforms?

I apologize if my tone came across as condescending. Genuinely wasn't my intention. I just thought we were debating Trek. I certainly don't think I'm any more of an expert on this stuff than anybody else (including you).

Sometimes I forget to include niceties when I'm debating, but I in no way, shape, or form meant to belittle you. I actually have a very strict rule where I never say anything personal about anybody when debating on a forum and I never say anything personally disrespectful. Ever. If you ever get bored, you can check my history on that.

I was just (I thought) respectfully disagreeing with you. Sorry I came across otherwise.
    edited May 2013
    And for the record, my previous post was a sincere apology, not condescension. My reference to checking my history wasn't meant to be snarky. I mean that sincerely. I really do put forth serious effort to never get personal.

I spend almost as much time defending the folks I disagree with as I do arguing with them.
  • cutedge242cutedge242 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I noticed those hats and I turned to my friend and said "why are they wearing Gestapo uniforms". Then again, I think it is intentional to play into the 'military vs exploration' plotline, which honestly is something I really wish that STO would have more acknowledgements to.

I left the theatre kind of disappointed, but thinking about it more I still think it was a good movie. I think I agree with the io9 review in that it gets far too much into being fanservice and really didn't go anywhere interesting after the reveal.
  • proteus22proteus22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why when khan was telling them in sickbay that they weren't safe at warp didn't dr marcus simply walk over to intercom anfd alert the bridge instead of running through decks she could have gave them more time to prepare. also if the core that kirk was trying to kick into place was the warp core why when it engaged wasn't he vaporized ? and i thought phasers didn't work at warp speeds so how did marcus.s ship fire on the enterprise?
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    proteus22 wrote: »
    (1) also if the core that kirk was trying to kick into place was the warp core why when it engaged wasn't he vaporized ? (2) and i thought phasers didn't work at warp speeds so how did marcus.s ship fire on the enterprise?

(1) I have worked with plasma-arc cutters and plasma-arc gouges in industry -- there is quite a PUFF of displaced air as the arc starts. I imagine that's what blew him clear before the heat cooked him. I had my helmet on and I was adjusting an automatic cutting table one time -- the arc kicked on because I wasn't following proper safey procedures -- I was jolted backwards by both the sudden gust and by my own reflexes. Wasn't injured thankfully.

(2) We'll chalk it up to uber-advanced technology -- remember they seemed surprised that Marcus could run them down in subspace like that let alone fire on them.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why when khan was telling them in sickbay that they weren't safe at warp didn't dr marcus simply walk over to intercom anfd alert the bridge instead of running through decks she could have gave them more time to prepare. also if the core that kirk was trying to kick into place was the warp core why when it engaged wasn't he vaporized ? and i thought phasers didn't work at warp speeds so how did marcus.s ship fire on the enterprise?

The TOS Enterprise could fire phasers at warp as well. It was only in the motion picture when they started channeling phaser energy from the warp core for better firepower did phasers stop working at warp. So it's possible the same principle is in effect in this timeline.

As for the Marcus thing..... eh, cos she's a blonde?

I don't think the thing Kirk was kicking was the core itself, but rather some power couplings that needed to be realigned to allow the power to flow through to the rest of the ship.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    artan42 wrote: »
    They used a K'tinga model onscreen, the version they were going to have was never named, just 'Battlecruiser' fans called it D-4 or D-6, D-6 would be more logical as it resembles the D-7 more than the (almost BOP like) D-5.

I KNOW! They had to use the K'T'inga model because they ran out of time fixing the D4 to how the producers wanted it. And the D4 Model that John Eaves was to use, later was adapted into STO as the Koro'tinga.

So Abrams took advantage of that and introduced the D4 into the Star Trek Universe. Which who knows where it stands in the Prime, since by logic the D4 came before the D5, which was around during the Enterprise-Era.

Since we won't be seeing the Kelvin in STO, means that we won't be seeing the D4 either.
    and i thought phasers didn't work at warp speeds so how did marcus.s ship fire on the enterprise?

You forgot in Nemesis, Shinzon fired on the Enterprise-E's warp core and dropped it out of warp.

And in TNG they fired while in warp as well.
    kain9prime wrote: »
    That may be true, but the vast majority have been. When someone says "western", what non-violent one do you think of? Personally, I think of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly or Open Range - Hell, even Dances with Wolves has quite a few major fight scenes. The genre is synonymous with:

1. Cowboys
    2. Outlaws
    3. Gunfights

When people say Star Trek, the 1st thoughts to the average person are probably one or all of the following:

1. Kirk and Spock
    2. Beam me up, Scotty.
    3. The Enterprise firing phasers.

All 3 = adventure in space.

You obviously didn't get what I was saying.

In Westerns, it wasn't constant shooting or fighting, like it is with the Abrams Star Trek. (Into Darkness was litteral jumping from one fight to another, constant action, hardly any story except "after that guy"). Westerns was also about the story and character development, like the John Wayne and Clint Eastwood westerns.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I enjoyed it. It had a more Trek-message tis time, with Kirk coming around and agreeing with Spock on how to treat a criminal and terrorist according to Federation laws.

It seems the timeline changes still has ripple effects.

If that destroyed moon was Praxis, it might be a simple goof, but it could also be one of those ripple effects.

The Narada was unexpected for Federation and Klingons alike. IT was a ship from the future with far more firepower than they'd ever seen. It seems to have spurned both sides to intensify their research of military technology. It convinced a Starfleet Admiral to work with Section 31 to build technology to fight the KLingon Empire. more than that, it convinced him to launch a (more or less covert) first strike. it could very well be that the relationships between Klingons and Federations are much more tense than they were in TOS.

And if there are any Startrek movies that are worth "re-imagining" like Wrath of Khan was, then it might be Startrek VI... Though I kinda hope that, if there is a 3rd movie, they'll come up with something new. (Though the Klingon-Federation war could be something new).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was generally pleased with the movie, even though it has many flaws. Notably, the problems in the movie that I found were:

• Way too many Trek references that shouldn't be in a movie about Khan. Gorn, Tribbles, Mudd, Praxis, Excelsior, Captain Sulu, saucer crashings, redshirts, etc etc etc. It was detracting from the main premise.
    • What kind of warp core looks like a Romulan singularity core?
    • The story was all over the place. I know it was supposed to rival other movies in terms of story (Dark Knight Rises' clever plots, for one), but they just didn't pull it off quite right. There was no feeling of completeness after the movie was done - stemming from the fact that there was nothing complete about the movie.
    • The role of Carol Marcus was not emphasized enough. For a character that becomes the mother of Kirk's child, there could have been much more dialogue.
    • Khan's skull-crushing ability. Since when did Khan skull-crush anyone? In fact, Khan hardly ever fought anyone directly. He was always out of sight.
    • Frankly, this may be personal taste, but hiring the actor for Admiral Marcus might not have been the best choice. Although I respect his acting ability, I don't think he's fit for the role of the most senior officer in Starfleet - considering his previous role was that of a tyrannical anti-alien mining administrator in ENT: "Terra Nova".
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    [*] Khan's skull-crushing ability. Since when did Khan skull-crush anyone? In fact, Khan hardly ever fought anyone directly. He was always out of sight.

Khan and Kirk have a huge slugfest in Space Seed, complete with Kirk-Fu.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually there have been many non-violent westerns. A simple Google search goes a long way. Dr Quinn Medicine Woman is an example...
    If you think of Jane Seymour any time someone is talking about "westerns", then congrats on thinking outside the box. My point - and it's written pretty clearly - is that MOST people are going to think of Cowboys, Outlaws and Gunfights. It's a common theme for most westerns due in part because of Hollywood AND actual history.

You obviously didn't get what I was saying.
    Err, same to you?
    In Westerns, it wasn't constant shooting or fighting, like it is with the Abrams Star Trek. (Into Darkness was litteral jumping from one fight to another, constant action, hardly any story except "after that guy"). Westerns was also about the story and character development, like the John Wayne and Clint Eastwood westerns.
    See above reply to the red shirt.

NuTrek is playing off the original Star Trek's pop culture appeal to make a sci-fi adventure movie. It's no secret. My point remains the same, and it's reiterated by the overall success the 2009 movie enjoyed, and the potential follow up success of the current one.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited May 2013
    I guess for me nothing is ruined.

The JJTrek movies are just fun "what-ifs". What if the timeline got disrupted, how would everyone be different? How would the Federation be different? How would the other races be different? How would things turn out differently?

It's not unlike Yesterday's Enterprise.

And because it's a "what if" it doesn't affect anything that's gone before, it's all still there exactly as it was before. I can watch Wrath of Khan right after watching Into Darkness and my enjoyment of either is not diminished.

Nick Meyer, director of Star Treks II and VI said in an interview that all the various Star Treks are like people taking the same lyrics and setting them to different music. JJ is the one setting the music right now, and he's doing it very much in tune with the times. Who knows who the next person in charge will be and what sort of music they'll set these age-old lyrics to?
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cutedge242 wrote: »
    I noticed those hats and I turned to my friend and said "why are they wearing Gestapo uniforms".

Naval Officers have hats.

It's kind of a DUH thing when you think about it. It's not an imperial officer thing. It's not a gestapo thing. It's a naval dress uniform thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There was a hat scene on Captain Pike's table in The Cage. His pistol sat next to it. It's seen when Pike is lounging in his quarter's with Dr. Boyce. It's seen behind Boyce multiple times as he mixes Pike a drink. It was very similar in style to this one:

http://www.rmr-hats.com/Sailor-Cap-109-4-0.html

I only disliked the dress hats shown on Into Darkness due to their height. They just looked off to me. How do you suppose any hats - let alone this one - would look on alien heads?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • tronalphagolftronalphagolf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, don't recall JJ saying he was done with Trek, but he is going to be awfully busy with the new Star Wars that will surely keep him busy for the next 5-6 years. Which likely means no new Trek movies for a long time.

It has been suggested that some one else at Bad Robot Productions will to the potential third movie. Bad Robot I believe wants to the third :) , but JJ is booked on Star Wars
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like the new dress uniforms, they are a lot more realistic than wearing your duty uniform everywhere or just changing your uniform shirt.

I really like the blue-dark grey contrast of them.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    I like the new dress uniforms, they are a lot more realistic than wearing your duty uniform everywhere or just changing your uniform shirt.

I really like the blue-dark grey contrast of them.

I really like how they made the dress uniforms a militarized TMP uniform. You can see it more with Pike but it's visible with the badge design, rank insignia, medical variants being white, etc.

It's novel to me to treat the various TOS-era uniform as purpose driven contemporaries. Last film also seemed to have WoK style EV jackets in use.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the new universe answer to WoK uniforms being used as diplomatic dress or something. Such that if the next movie has a "First Contact" or a "Peace Talks" scene, we have Kirk and Co. bust out maroon diplomatic uniforms.
    edited May 2013
    My all time biggest complaints about Trek, is the lack of different uniforms and the lack of differentiating the specialized departments.
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While there were a few noteworthy scenes like the Death of Kirk and Spock greeting Spock..the movie was frakkin trash.....

I am moderately dissapopinted with this remake. I was hoping for the Admiral to say THANKYOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION....or MURPHY.

So whiz kid Chenko...Cherpov..Pavel whatever is now an Engineer.....just by tagging along with Scotty for a while...And people RAGE against DEANA for being in the front seat driving when the ship went down in STtNG movie.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • happymarvinhappymarvin Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    adabisi wrote: »
    While there were a few noteworthy scenes like the Death of Kirk and Spock greeting Spock..the movie was frakkin trash.....

I am moderately dissapopinted with this remake. I was hoping for the Admiral to say THANKYOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION....or MURPHY.

So whiz kid Chenko...Cherpov..Pavel whatever is now an Engineer.....just by tagging along with Scotty for a while...And people RAGE against DEANA for being in the front seat driving when the ship went down in STtNG movie.

People didn't rage about Diana being at the helm, people joked at the fact she was at the helm the times the Enterprise-D and E crashed into something.
    edited May 2013
    kain9prime wrote: »
    If you think of Jane Seymour any time someone is talking about "westerns", then congrats on thinking outside the box. My point - and it's written pretty clearly - is that MOST people are going to think of Cowboys, Outlaws and Gunfights. It's a common theme for most westerns due in part because of Hollywood AND actual history.

Well, a western is a western whether you like the actors/actresses or not. If you think that you speak for most people than I am truly sorry.

It's kind of a DUH thing when you think about it. It's not an imperial officer thing. It's not a gestapo thing. It's a naval dress uniform thing.

No those are the wrong hats. The man who made the deal with Khan and blew up the data archive wore a hat that was practically a duplicate of the Imperial Officer hat, to go with his grey, subdued uniform. If I can find a pic I'll post it.
    edited May 2013
    Well, a western is a western whether you like the actors/actresses or not. If you think that you speak for most people than I am truly sorry.

No those are the wrong hats. The man who made the deal with Khan and blew up the data archive wore a hat that was practically a duplicate of the Imperial Officer hat, to go with his grey, subdued uniform. If I can find a pic I'll post it.

Talk about calling the kettle black eh. Well, what he said was true, the stereotypical western is a shoot-out type of a movie.

The stereotypical Trek movie is space battles.
    edited May 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Talk about calling the kettle black eh. Well, what he said was true, the stereotypical western is a shoot-out type of a movie.

The stereotypical Trek movie is space battles.

So Blazing Saddles, Lonesome Dove, Maverick, Cat Ballou, City Slickers, etc were shoot out type movies? lol. I don't think you really know what a western is and that you and the other poster are confusing your genres. As I previously stated Spaghetti Westerns are a violent/shootout type sub-genre of westerns. So they are westerns but not indicative of the genre as a whole. Sorta like a thumb is a finger but not all fingers are thumbs. ;)

Also, how is this the pot calling the kettle black? :confused:
    edited May 2013

Here we go snoggy, this is the uniform I'm talking about. It looks very much like an Imperial Officer IMHO. Here are some other shots of it: 1 2 3 (in #3 the officer to the right of the screen is wearing a similar hat)
    edited May 2013
    So Blazing Saddles, Lonesome Dove, Maverick, Cat Ballou, City Slickers, etc were shoot out type movies? I don't think you really know what a western is and that you and the other poster are confusing your genres. As I previously stated Spaghetti Westerns are a violent/shootout type sub-genre of westerns. So they are westerns but not indicative of the genre as a whole. Sorta like a thumb is a finger but not all fingers are thumbs. ;)

Also, how is this the pot calling the kettle black? :confused:

Blazing Saddles, Maverick, Cat Ballou, and City Slickers were comedies set in a western setting, while Lonesome Dove was a miniseries.

I think you don't understand the concept of stereotype because that is what I was referring to. What you stated was the thumb, the spaghetti western are the fingers and palm, especially in American Culture.

Edit: Those two caps are both variations of the German M-43 Side Cap.