Options

Star Trek into Darkness..Did you notice... SPOILERS!! Enter if you dare

123457»

Comments

• Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Talk about calling the kettle black eh. Well, what he said was true, the stereotypical western is a shoot-out type of a movie.

The stereotypical Trek movie is space battles.

So Blazing Saddles, Lonesome Dove, Maverick, Cat Ballou, City Slickers, etc were shoot out type movies? lol. I don't think you really know what a western is and that you and the other poster are confusing your genres. As I previously stated Spaghetti Westerns are a violent/shootout type sub-genre of westerns. So they are westerns but not indicative of the genre as a whole. Sorta like a thumb is a finger but not all fingers are thumbs. ;)

Also, how is this the pot calling the kettle black? :confused:
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Naval Officers have hats.

It's kind of a DUH thing when you think about it. It's not an imperial officer thing. It's not a gestapo thing. It's a naval dress uniform thing.

Here we go snoggy, this is the uniform I'm talking about. It looks very much like an Imperial Officer IMHO. Here are some other shots of it: 1 2 3 (in #3 the officer to the right of the screen is wearing a similar hat)
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So Blazing Saddles, Lonesome Dove, Maverick, Cat Ballou, City Slickers, etc were shoot out type movies? I don't think you really know what a western is and that you and the other poster are confusing your genres. As I previously stated Spaghetti Westerns are a violent/shootout type sub-genre of westerns. So they are westerns but not indicative of the genre as a whole. Sorta like a thumb is a finger but not all fingers are thumbs. ;)

Also, how is this the pot calling the kettle black? :confused:

Blazing Saddles, Maverick, Cat Ballou, and City Slickers were comedies set in a western setting, while Lonesome Dove was a miniseries.

I think you don't understand the concept of stereotype because that is what I was referring to. What you stated was the thumb, the spaghetti western are the fingers and palm, especially in American Culture.

Edit: Those two caps are both variations of the German M-43 Side Cap.
  • Options
    coldicephoenixcoldicephoenix Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Btw, what species was that big bald guy on the 1701 bridge, he had some kinda metal/circuit thing on the back of his head. He also had an almost electronic voice.. is he an android??? ( I hope he wasn't!)

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Blazing Saddles, Maverick, Cat Ballou, and City Slickers were comedies set in a western setting, while Lonesome Dove was a miniseries.

I think you don't understand the concept of stereotype because that is what I was referring to. What you stated was the thumb, the spaghetti western are the fingers and palm, especially in American Culture.

Edit: Those two caps are both variations of the German M-43 Side Cap.

Those movies are consistently rated in the top 10-20 western movies of all time though...because they are westerns. Stereotypes vary regionally too. Someone from New Jersey probably has a different idea of what a western is (apparently) compared to what a Texan might think a western is (no offense to anyone, I have no idea where you are from).
    Btw, what species was that big bald guy on the 1701 bridge, he had some kinda metal/circuit thing on the back of his head. He also had an almost electronic voice.. is he an android??? ( I hope he wasn't!)

I wondered the same thing. His appearance raised more questions than it answered, especially when he spoke.
  • Options
    druinwalfdruinwalf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    begerac wrote: »
    Didnt know that Klingon Home World didnt have any ships around it to protect it. Guess all where somewhere else.

Didn't the Narada do a number on the KDF Armada as well as Starfleet?

Also those wondering where the other Starfleet ships were.... Commanded by Junior officers who might know the fiasco was related to Adm Marcus's policies and that their CO is dead because of Marcus's Pet Augment. Wouln't wonder they might keep their head down and see how it plays out first. Cowardly yes, but possible.
  • Options
    rheatitanrheatitan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think JJ really gets Star Trek, Don't get me wrong the movie for the most part is great but it did play like a song slightly out of key.

lots of little stuff in the movie bothered me like
    warp speed just being the one speed and it was a big shock that the vengeance was travelling at warp speed +1!

5 year mission?? it only takes about 5 minutes to go anywhere in JJ start trek.

at the end both ships were more in the moon's orbit but show how fell to earth in under 10 minutes when they lost power.

to the average movie goer these things don't matter. the story as a whole is solid it may be a bit of Khan 2.0 but most of the people seeing the movie won't have seen the WOK
  • Options
    portgazdportgazd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Possible SPOILERS BEWARE

I gota admit, I really liked the movie. Benedict Cumberbatch played a great villain. Though I was somewhat confused by the klingon ridges being present, praxis having being destroyed already and the use of the transilliteration of Qo'nos that appeared on the screen. As for Cumberbatch's apprearance for being a white guy portraying an indian guy: not that far fetched. My cousin is half scottish half indian and he looks more white than indian, except for a little bit of colorization in his skin.

Overall great movie, but bring in classic phaser beams :P
    Vice-Chancellor of Federation Fleet Directive 010

DISENCHANTED
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also feel ripped off by buying the 4 Countdown comics. What did they set up for the movie except that they had Mudd's daughter's ship still on board? The whole Robert April business in the comics seemed for nothing. It slightly setup Spock's deathwish mentality, but still, no setup was needed for that.

I thought it was interesting because April seemed to have rubbed off on Kirk, in that Kirk was now willing to save a species from extinction (from a planet-killing volcano... what?).

Once I realized they were going to actually kill Kirk, I was kind of hoping his last words would be "It was fun".

That scene was kind of emotional, but I realized about halfway through that "Oh yeah, McCoy put Khan's blood in a dead tribble (why?), he'll be fine". I was relieved, but it certainly took away some of the emotional impact.
  • Options
    turks1turks1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    begerac wrote: »
    Fresh after watching movie. And I just want to puke scene after scene. ST 2009 was way better in terms of common sense about Star Trek. Here? This movie would be complete fiasco if wasnt name Star Trek.
    Secret base in Sol System, shuttle aproach it, no **** were given:confused: Didnt know that Klingon Home World didnt have any ships around it to protect it. Guess all where somewhere else. Hand Com of Scotty have range from Sol to Kronos?
    I can go on and on. Thanks God JJ is out and SW will now have to endure his ideas.
    I really want to rip my eyes after this movie.
    Positive sides? Typical american movie with big flashes no bang. Nice for eyes but your mind will scream

Please read the following possible explanation for how praxis having been destroyed earlier than in canon...

The Narada, after the impact of the U.S.S. Kelvin, was badly damaged but not destroyed, with its weapons, shields and engines offline. As the Romulans tried frantically to repair their ship, they pondered that they could now see Romulus again. However, Nero had now grown obsessed with vengeance, and destroyed the few crew members who tried to leave. Shortly after, the Narada was attacked by Klingon Battlecruisers led by Kor, who had picked up the ship's emergence. Without functioning systems, the Romulans were overpowered by boarding parties after a bitter struggle. Nero and his crew were imprisoned on Rura Penthe, as the Klingons eagerly desired the secrets of the Narada.

Over the next twenty-five years Nero and his crew toiled in the mines, making numerous escape attempts but being kept alive as their mining skills had made the planet profitable for the first time in its history. During this time Nero lost part of his ear in a fight against a pet beast of the guards which he killed with his bare hands. Though Nero kept strong though the use of smuggled drugs and his still-obsessive desire for revenge, he secretly despaired of ever being able to avenge his wife - until he met Clavell, an imprisoned human mapmaker who was able to divine that Spock had not yet emerged from the black hole. Nero's cell was raided, and his documents on Spock finally recovered, and he was set to be interrogated by Centaurian slug. However, he killed his captors and escaped, triggering a bloody escape with his crew.

In my opinion, the Klingons were able to increase their mining technologies from both the Narada and what they learned on Rura Penthe. This cold explain how they increased the Praxis disaster.

From the same article...

...the Narada was then attacked by a fleet of Klingon Warbirds led by his old captor Koth. Despite the strength of the Klingon fleet, the Narada annihilated every vessel, saving Nero's old tormentor for last.

So the Klingon fleet had been annihilated, thus perhaps explaining, the lack of ships around Kronos.
    I'm a lover not a fighter. But I'm also a fighter so don't get any ideas...
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Far too much fanservice in there for my tastes. It kinda felt like they just threw in a bunch of random Trek references in to meet a quota or something. But that's all they were-references for the sake of fanservice. Heck the central plot is based around fanservice and harkening back to a (IMO) far better Trek movie, banking on some WoK fanservice for the central plot. That's what? Three movies in a row that have tried to capitalize on WoK in some manner? They need to stop beating a dead horse and set out on their own. The movie was (IMO) just your standard nonstop action flick held to the Star Trek IP in the most tenuous manner solely by fanservice and callbacks to previous movies. Ireally didn't feel like it had much of its own to offer.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The main plot was more like Paradise Lost from DS9 than WOK.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Far too much fanservice in there for my tastes. It kinda felt like they just threw in a bunch of random Trek references in to meet a quota or something. But that's all they were-references for the sake of fanservice. Heck the central plot is based around fanservice and harkening back to a (IMO) far better Trek movie, banking on some WoK fanservice for the central plot. That's what? Three movies in a row that have tried to capitalize on WoK in some manner? They need to stop beating a dead horse and set out on their own. The movie was (IMO) just your standard nonstop action flick held to the Star Trek IP in the most tenuous manner solely by fanservice and callbacks to previous movies. Ireally didn't feel like it had much of its own to offer.

Well, I love it when fans say it was WOK remake, it wasn't. It had elements of WOK towards the end, just like it had elements of Space Seed in the middle. The movie started as something we never got to see in the Trek films, exploring a new world and seeing Kirk pay for his mistakes.

This movie was an action flick, yes. Yet, every Trek film after TMP was promoted as an action flick, so what's your point?

I loved the new film, yes it was laced with Trek lore, in fact, this movie topped the last one in terms of lore. now, with your argument, I think we got full circle in nitpicking. TOO MUCH TREK LORE this movie sucks and JJ ***** my childhood.

This is just like the whining not enough new UFP content in the LOR expansion.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since when has putting something in a movie for the fans a bad thing????
    That's Marvel's whole marketing strategy
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, I think i like Into Darkness more then 09

Also why did Marcus have a model of a top secret ship on his desk?
  • Options
    bermanatorbermanator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can only imagine J.J. reading this and going "WTF! I put more Trek lore to make them happy, now see what happens when I do!? They rant that there's too much lore, and makes it terrible!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Also why did Marcus have a model of a top secret ship on his desk?
    Since it was at Star Fleet headquarters I guess it could be implied that the only people who would see it would be those in on the project, or those who would know not to talk about it.

Plus it is just a desk model, it could just be dismissed by Marcus as a model of some canceled project or some future starship still on the drawing boards.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    Since it was at Star Fleet headquarters I guess it could be implied that the only people who would see it would be those in on the project, or those who would know not to talk about it.

Plus it is just a desk model, it could just be dismissed by Marcus as a model of some canceled project or some future starship still on the drawing boards.

True. i didn't consider that.

Weird that he didn't have the Enterprise in his ship line up through.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    or at least the Current Enterprise
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Those movies are consistently rated in the top 10-20 western movies of all time though...because they are westerns. Stereotypes vary regionally too. Someone from New Jersey probably has a different idea of what a western is (apparently) compared to what a Texan might think a western is (no offense to anyone, I have no idea where you are from).

I wondered the same thing. His appearance raised more questions than it answered, especially when he spoke.

Pretty sure the big bald guy is Ruk, the android from TOS.

Apparently he's in Starfleet now.
  • Options
    truemalevolencetruemalevolence Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's a shame we didn't get to see more of the refitted Enterprise in the final shot, seems like a big thing to waste really.

I know the impulse engine is now really wide across the saucer but I missed the apparent change to the nacelles at the back.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

The actor is Joseph Gatt. He is perhaps best known as the motion capture performer and likeness for Kratos from the God Of War video game series. According to imdb.com he is credited as Science Officer 0718 in the new movie. What is awesome is that I will get to meet him next weekend at a convention here in my hometown. I am anxious to ask him about his character's background.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Interesting.

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I got to get this out of my system.

Kirk, and Crew......DEAD or ALIVE YOU'RE COMING WITH ME!

Seriously Peter Weller shows up in Star Trek, he is not messing around....Human Xenophobic terrorist group, or turning Star Fleet into a military organization and trying to Start a war with the Klingons, the man is extreme.

I forgot he was on Enterprise till I saw the NX 01 pop up on display, and it clicked.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I got to get this out of my system.

Kirk, and Crew......DEAD or ALIVE YOU'RE COMING WITH ME!

Seriously Peter Weller shows up in Star Trek, he is not messing around....Human Xenophobic terrorist group, or turning Star Fleet into a military organization and trying to Start a war with the Klingons, the man is extreme.

I forgot he was on Enterprise till I saw the NX 01 pop up on display, and it clicked.

****in Hell!!! I totally forgot about that!!!!! Great catch :eek: So is he like the Grandson of Paxton or something? cant be Paxton itself that would make him what 50000000 years old :p

• Options
    edited May 2013
    ****in Hell!!! I totally forgot about that!!!!! Great catch :eek: So is he like the Grandson of Paxton or something? cant be Paxton itself that would make him what 50000000 years old :p

no relation, besides their extreme ideals.
    GwaoHAD.png