test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kerrat, upsetting the poor Feds

Comments

• travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    stf65 wrote: »
    Actually, the purpose of that thread was to find out why Federation players are not engaging in pvp, with the hope of getting more people to engage in the events; which would be better for all pvpers.

Kerrat is a sticking point because it usually just ends up being a gang-bang. There's no glory in the victories there. It's just a bunch of groupies taking advantage of a situation and then pretending they accomplished something special.

The real problem is Cryptic's design. They shouldn't force people who don't want to pvp into those zones to get items that can only be gotten there. It has nothing to do with Klingons or Federation players. It's all about being forced to do something you don't want to do.

And that thread might also be about the small percentage of pvpers who are just jerks. They have no real power in life and so get-off by pushing computer buttons all day and then get to pretend they've actually accomplished something special: "Look at me! I'm not actually a 350 lbs loner sitting in a basement in front of a computer. I'm a warrior!" I feel the most sorry for those pvpers of all. :)

Actually, the gang-bang would be greatly reduced if Cryptic were to fix Ker'rat to enable these features: Restart respawns on the proper spawnpoints (rather than everyone respawning on the KDF spawnpoint), and enable multiple spawnpoints to be selected randomly by the computer. . .thus spreading people out even more. Then, fix the effing ZONE CHANGE OPTION so that people can actually switch between zones properly, rather than having to mess around with warping in and out of Ker'rat hoping to get into a different zone.

Right there, you've probably made 'gang bangs' less prevalent. They'll only happen when people deliberately group up to do it (which doesn't happen as often as people might think), and the targets will just switch to a different zone if that happens.

Another useful option would be to put in another PvPvE area like Ker'rat.

But instead, Cryptic allows Ker'rat to remain in its flawed state, and does little to actively promote and improve PvP.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • istvaanshogaatsuistvaanshogaatsu Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    On behalf of the filthy mewling Federation, I apologize for the timidity of my fellow captains. While I've encountered a few other feds that utterly rock in Kerrat, it's clear that the concentration of competent PVPers sees a red UI, if you catch my drift. I've often been tempted to defect and become a klink, so I could hang out with the proper PVPers, but then I'd pretty much be beating up on babies. Babies with medical issues.

I know there's a pretty vast quality disparity from the increasing occasions where I end up on the klink team in Kerrat. (I just got my achievement for murdering 100 fellow Federation ships - really starting to enjoy these team-switches) What's really interesting is how many Feds become *offended* when you open fire on them. I've encountered maybe two Klingons in Kerrat who acted this way in my entire STO career, which now spans a whopping five months, yet for Feds, it seems like half the players in Kerrat are there to acquire loot or dilithium and do their best to avoid the trauma of engaging in a firefight. If you attack them, most perform the tactical maneuver known as 'rolling belly up and thinking of England' and won't even defend themselves, shocked at the sudden act of aggression from another player.

Well, worry not. At the very least, *this* Fed isn't afraid to explode. I will do my very best to redeem the flagging performance of my faction by showering you fine Klingons in the finest screaming kinetic death I can belch forth! Toward thee I roll, thou all-destroying but un-conquering whale! To the last I grapple with thee! From Hell's heart I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I SPIT my last breath at thee!
  • corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Speaking of which, how the heck do you exploit the bug that lets you switch sides?! I fly from the spawn point to the other end of the map, sign out, sign back in and I am still on the Fed side!? Don't get me wrong, I have no qualms fighting klinks, but as a Mirror Universe Captain, I found myself yesterday being followed around by Fed captains unwilling to fight off attacks and expecting me to do the fighting for them as they farm dill. I kid you not!

That being said, again, I have to say for the record, I'm loving Ker'rat! My only complaint is that there aren't more PVPve zones. Really great fun! :D
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, worry not. At the very least, *this* Fed isn't afraid to explode. I will do my very best to redeem the flagging performance of my faction by showering you fine Klingons in the finest screaming kinetic death I can belch forth! Toward thee I roll, thou all-destroying but un-conquering whale! To the last I grapple with thee! From Hell's heart I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I SPIT my last breath at thee!

that's the kind of spirit I like to see in my prey :cool:
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Haven't played Kerrat in forever, but what really got me to the point of not wanting to play it anymore more than anything was all the constantly rubberbanding Borg. It wasn't that my internet connection was too slow and was causing it, but that they had too many Borg squeezed in too tight and with them being able to roam it was causing issues with the collision boxes?

I don't know maybe they fixed it, but it seems to me that if they can do these huge "adventure zones" that there is no reason why they couldn't give Kerrat an overhaul to make the map larger, thus correcting that and in the process the rest of the errors.

IF they ever overhaul PVP they should move all the space and ground PVP into a "frontlines of the war" area right along the Fed/Klingon boarder and add it to the events list as well with added rewards. Then maybe it'll get more people interested and would also tie in with this FED/KDF war that's supposed to be going on right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, worry not. At the very least, *this* Fed isn't afraid to explode.[/I]

Nor this one good sir!

The vast majority do whine and cry, but do not forget those who make an effort.
    edited April 2013
    coupaholic wrote: »
    Nor this one good sir!

The vast majority do whine and cry, but do not forget those who make an effort.

I like it when Feddies put up a fight. It keeps me on my toes and keeps me sharp. Floating around strafing Feddies who don't know how to fight makes me get sloppy on my timing and attack vectors.
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    When I run Ker'rat I am usually on my Eng or Sci trying to get better. Buuuut when I am in the mood for mindless violence I hop on my Nausy Tac captain, get in my B'rel and go hunting. But I am not completely unfair, when in my B'rel I will say...

"I can see you <playername>, can you see me?"

If you ever hear this from me you know I am watching you at that very moment preparing to strike.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    But I am not completely unfair, when in my B'rel I will say...

"I can see you <playername>, can you see me?"

If you ever hear this from me you know I am watching you at that very moment preparing to strike.
    as nice as that may be, it also ruins any chance of you pulling a successful alpha, because if the player in question wasn't already cycling buffs, they certainly will be after that
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    as nice as that may be, it also ruins any chance of you pulling a successful alpha, because if the player in question wasn't already cycling buffs, they certainly will be after that

Never had it prevent their demise before. They either just keep doing what they are doing or start panicking while I sit and watch, eventually they calm down and then they die. Besides I enjoy a challenge. That's one of the reasons I don't play with my Tac toons very often, there is no thought involved, just need to make sure you stay calm and have all your abilities slotted so you can go 1, 2, 3.....etc.

Not saying I am that good though, I have run into more then one problem when I hit someone who knows what they are doing, but that just keeps it interesting. Is my next target going to die screaming, or will he just laugh and wave as I plink away at his shields.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ker'rat is fun, was in there for 2 hours last night in a Defiant giving the Klingons a taste of their own medicine :D.

To give credit where credit is due, there are some very good players there, so Ker'rat is good for the PVP practice.
    I blew up on more than one occasion but got some nice kills with decloaking alpha strikes, fighting another player is better than fighting AI, because you have to keep on your toes to survive
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,274 Arc User
      edited April 2013
      abaddon653 wrote: »
      Never had it prevent their demise before. They either just keep doing what they are doing or start panicking while I sit and watch, eventually they calm down and then they die. Besides I enjoy a challenge. That's one of the reasons I don't play with my Tac toons very often, there is no thought involved, just need to make sure you stay calm and have all your abilities slotted so you can go 1, 2, 3.....etc.

Not saying I am that good though, I have run into more then one problem when I hit someone who knows what they are doing, but that just keeps it interesting. Is my next target going to die screaming, or will he just laugh and wave as I plink away at his shields.

I had someone try something like that on me but I used an antiproton sweep to decloak them and proceeded to annihilate them.
      Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    • danturnerdanturner Member Posts: 12 Arc User
      edited April 2013
      The overpowered Klingon ships take all the fun out of this map. The setup for PvP is totally different than PvE against Borg ships, so Feds are onto a loser straight off.

I'm especially wondering if there's cheating going on, as my assault cruiser dies in literally 3 seconds flat after a tractor beam+ disruptor salvo.

In fact, there's one particular a*s*shole, "Grdi", who I'd cheerfully infect his PC with a virus and melt his hard drive. I don't think what he's doing is fair or possible.

We're not there for PvP so F*CK OFF and leave us to it. The sooner Cryptic fix this the better.
    • hugereddogghugereddogg Member Posts: 90 Arc User
      edited April 2013
      Someone's Grumpy!! :D
      edited April 2013
      Someone's fed up of broken mechanics and possible cheaters. It's as bad as the dipsh*t call of duty players.

If cryptic don't want to scrap PvP altogether (if its entirely optional, why should they?) they should eliminate it from this system. Why be forced into PvP for a PvE farming system?
      edited April 2013
      danturner wrote: »
      Why be forced into PvP for a PvE farming system?
      because it's not a PvE farming system; it's a WARZONE, which means a WAR is taking place there, so if you go in there, you ARE going to get shot at by the faction you are at war with
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      edited April 2013
      because it's not a PvE farming system; it's a WARZONE, which means a WAR is taking place there, so if you go in there, you ARE going to get shot at by the faction you are at war with

It needs to go. It's pi$$ing a lot of players off, and taking the fun out things with it's overpowered rubbish. PvE does NOT mix with PvP. Against the Ai is too different than against other players.

Or, make another system an equivalent anti-Borg but purely PvE. Simple.
      edited April 2013
      PvE does NOT mix with PvP.
      truer words have never been spoken...that's why i can't stand all the whiny PvPers crying nerf on everything in sight, because something balanced for PvP usage often winds up useless for PvE

case in point being the recent nerfs to tricobalt mines/torps and tachyon mines

#LegalizeAwoo

• ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
      edited April 2013
      There's so many things wrong with Kerrat its not even funny. I mean, just the most basic stuff, like Fed and KDF are supposed to be working together against the Borg and here they are overlooking the threat to hunt each other. Kerrat is broken in every way possible.
    • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
      edited April 2013

Not all the time.

I think the main problem you guys have with alpha strikes is sound. If I can hear someone select many buffs in quick succession I know it's a BoP, I then time my own buffs (like brace for impact, tactical team etc) as soon as I hear the de-cloak sound.

They de-cloak, I buff up and survive, then they run off. Rinse and repeat. It's really not hard.
    • theeishtmotheeishtmo Member Posts: 236 Arc User
      edited April 2013
      The overpowered Klingon ships take all the fun out of this map. The setup for PvP is totally different than PvE against Borg ships, so Feds are onto a loser straight off.

I'm especially wondering if there's cheating going on, as my assault cruiser dies in literally 3 seconds flat after a tractor beam+ disruptor salvo.

In fact, there's one particular a*s*shole, "Grdi", who I'd cheerfully infect his PC with a virus and melt his hard drive. I don't think what he's doing is fair or possible.

We're not there for PvP so F*CK OFF and leave us to it. The sooner Cryptic fix this the better.

You know that it is NOT a PvE mission, right? It's part of the PvP block, along with the wrapper for Arena and Assault. If you're treating it as a PvE mission, no wonder you're so pissed.

As for Klinks being overpowered, they're not really, but the Klingons who go to Kerrat usually go there to fight Feds, so they tend to be built for PvP. If you're NOT built for PvP, you're at a serious disadvantage. Though if you were built for PvP, you'd be ripping those poor NPCs a new one too.

Kerrat does have problems, but it's not the basic format, it's more glitches and stupidness (why are we resetting on the same damn side? WHY?).
      I know there is a method but all I see is madness.
      edited April 2013
      theeishtmo wrote: »
      You know that it is NOT a PvE mission, right? It's part of the PvP block, along with the wrapper for Arena and Assault. If you're treating it as a PvE mission, no wonder you're so pissed.

-*snip*-

Kerrat does have problems, but it's not the basic format, it's more glitches and stupidness (why are we resetting on the same damn side? WHY?).

No, it IS the basic format. it's presented as a PvE mission with PvP awkwardly bolted on. To repeat myself, PvP doesn't mix with PvE at all (and as someone pointed out, in all other story instances the Feds and Klingons TEAM UP against the Borg).

This unbalanced, infuriating mess needs to go. If I want PvP, I'll hit a PvP queue. Though like Call of Duty, there's no incentive on God's Earth why I'd put myself through that.
    • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
      edited April 2013
      Kerrat is fine as by its desogn as a PvPE map of being a race to complete before the other faction.
      Its only fault is the zone restart.
      Its always been a PvP zone. Most feds may not know that at the lower levels since they dont encounter klinks until at the higher levels.
      Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
      edited April 2013
      bitemepwe wrote: »
      Kerrat is fine as by its desogn as a PvPE map of being a race to complete before the other faction.

Except its not played like that. Feds complete and farm resources while klingons cloak and kill players who are set up to optimally fight Borg AI.
      Its always been a PvP zone. Most feds may not know that at the lower levels since they dont encounter klinks until at the higher levels.

No, fed players are well aware of that. Roughly...5 seconds after killing a Borg repair hulk. So don't be patronizing.

You can say the design is "fine" all you want. You're ignoring the detail that PvE and PvP are very different designs, and throwing them together in such a cackhanded way is genuinely irritating a LOT of players. If we want PvP we'd join a queue, NOT a mission presented as PvE.
    • theeishtmotheeishtmo Member Posts: 236 Arc User
      edited April 2013
      No, it IS the basic format. it's presented as a PvE mission with PvP awkwardly bolted on. To repeat myself, PvP doesn't mix with PvE at all (and as someone pointed out, in all other story instances the Feds and Klingons TEAM UP against the Borg).

This unbalanced, infuriating mess needs to go. If I want PvP, I'll hit a PvP queue. Though like Call of Duty, there's no incentive on God's Earth why I'd put myself through that.

A) Have you played the PvP queues? Yeah, they suck compared to Kerrat in probably every way possible.

B) It's not PvE. It never was and never will be. It is a PvP match whose terms are based on a race to capture/destroy this particular Borg facility. It's live, constantly changing, and always going. I'm sorry if you can't wrap your mind around the fact that this is a PvP WARZONE. If you're going to rage so bad about it, just don't go there. You'll be happier.
      I know there is a method but all I see is madness.
    • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
      edited April 2013
      Without PvP there is not much point in Ker'rat. Think about it. You can farm fleet actions and earn dilithium too. The problem is that PvP is seriously unbalanced. Cryptic should make sure that all builds / ships / gear are within 10-25%. DPS burst needs to be tuned back allowing for more strategy and less pew pew. The p2w ships and consoles needs to be nerfed so that they are only marginally better that free ships.
      "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
      edited April 2013

let me explains this as simply as I can IF YOU DONT WANT TO DIE OR BE ATTACKED DONT ENTER KERRAT period there are literally hundreds of other missions you can do that will let you farm gear and dil THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE MISSIONS if you are not loaded out for PVP YOU WILL DIE ....STAY OUT...now because you carebears come and do nothing as your fed mates are attacked I have rolled a Klingon now because you carebears who just do nothing when you come in there TRIBBLE me off so now I will blow you up at every turn every chance I get I will even wake up out of bed early to blow you up ............you have been warned.......if you don't like it STAY OUT OF KERRAT....better yet don't.

(General Chang)
      3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
      edited April 2013
      macronius wrote: »
      Without PvP there is not much point in Ker'rat. Think about it. You can farm fleet actions and earn dilithium too. The problem is that PvP is seriously unbalanced. Cryptic should make sure that all builds / ships / gear are within 10-25%. DPS burst needs to be tuned back allowing for more strategy and less pew pew. The p2w ships and consoles needs to be nerfed so that they are only marginally better that free ships.

Precisely. Ker'rat would be boring as hell if there were no PvP. Just another pointless grind/farm zone. Of course, Federation petaQ'pu might be okay with that, since their ranks are populated by weaklings and 'negotiators'.

PvEers who trash 'whiny PvPers' are probably just players who can't handle the really challenging part of this game. . .that being PvP. PvE is a friggin faceroll 95% of the time.
    • istvaanshogaatsuistvaanshogaatsu Member Posts: 134 Arc User
      edited April 2013

And there you have it folks. Dan Turner, join date March, feels that PVP should be deleted from Kerrat because he hasn't put in the work to be good at PVP, and can't cut it there. Nevermind the months if not years of work you've all put in perfecting your PVP builds to play in the tiny room provided by Cryptic for all of STO's PVPers, it all gets deleted, because we got in the way of someone's PVE progress! Shame on you, PVPers! Don't you know how traumatic being shot with phasers is for some people?

I wish I could convert my character to mirror federation and attack everyone. Klinks for the challenge, but Feds because of mewling like this.
      edited April 2013
      I wish I could convert my character to mirror federation and attack everyone. Klinks for the challenge, but Feds because of mewling like this.
      eh, if cryptic had done the romulans as a full faction instead of a subfaction, you WOULD be able to attack both feds and kdf

#LegalizeAwoo