Install Arc
Options

Legacy Pack Pre-Order! [The price has now increased]

Comments

• Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    aestu wrote: »

devs code. artists do art. no, you're wrong.

No, you're the one that's wrong here. "Devs" was originally shorthand for "software developer", but has since transmogrified to be a term referring to anyone who worked on a software product, and so includes coders, artists, QA, product/project management, etc.

really? what city did you live in? how long?

sf =/= bay area, bay area =/= norcal, anyone who has ever lived in CA knows that the central valley, northern counties and east of the valley have nothing in common with the bay area, and sf is its own little world, when people from CA refer to the bay area they say the bay area, and when they refer to SF they say SF - cultural differences, land values and commute issues make the distinction very black-and-white

the point is, you're clearly willing to make things up as you go along to defend PWE.

Wrong again. Having lived in the area for 30+ years, SF is in the Bay Area. The Bay Area is part of Northern California.

The point is, you're clearly willing to make things up as you go along to attack PWE.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    felderburg wrote: »
    Also, I would assume that Cryptic has at least a few concept artists in house.

More than concept artists

Enter the Taco
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    $125 is not 119 euros

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=125&From=USD&To=EUR

why am i being charged $119 eur by paypal ???? might wanna sort that out before I go to trading stanards/office of fair trading

Did you add VAT?

125 Dollars = 95 Eur + 20% VAT = 119 Eur ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    pointedearspointedears Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Fair enough buit where does it state that ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    "Devs" was originally shorthand for "software developer", but has since transmogrified ..Having lived in the area for 30+ years, SF is in the Bay Area

saying don't make it so. my informed exposition of specific regional differences and the dynamics of the dev process trumps your "sayin' so". and in fact you did not answer my question as to what city you lived in. hmm.

let me ask you. what is your goal in this thread?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm not sure how any European cannot know about the VAT their country imposes on them when buying digital items from outside of the country.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    mrsladewilsonmrsladewilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    uh, no, no one does that. well, perhaps no one but the woefully deluded.
    Back to name-calling, eh?
    PWE is a chinese conglomerate with no interest in STO as a going concern. their goal is to make a profit.
    These two statements are contradictory. They are QUITE interested in STO as a going concern, BECAUSE it can generate revenue and profit.
    this isn't some sort of charity. it's a conglomerate that owns many properties and runs them in the way that will maximize profit, not make the best product.
    Just like any other MMO. Or any other business. What's the point you're making, here?
  • Options
    mrsladewilsonmrsladewilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    saying don't make it so. my informed exposition of specific regional differences and the dynamics of the dev process trumps your "sayin' so".
    So your "sayin' so" is somehow better?

I lived in San Diego, as if it matters.
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    uh, no, no one does that. well, perhaps no one but the woefully deluded.
    So companies are not encouraged to continue to make products because people buy products. You're saying that people only buy something in the here and don't take into account previous experience with that companies products and don't expect a company to make more products with monetary voting?

I guess popular companies and bands and whatever just lucked into existance because, according to you, people just randomly buy stuff with no expectation that their act of buying will influence who they're buying from.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Fair enough buit where does it state that ?

It does not have to, Paypal factors it in automatically.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Legacy price = best laugh i've had allday :o
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Anyone want to chime in or look at the potential costs in my chart? It's not adding up for me:
    So I did some number crunching, and because the C Store is down I don't know if it's accurate. How much do C Store refits and costumes cost? I made a chart, but I don't know how accurate it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjbPxewaK5DgdDM1MjhqUUR4MTRjTnR5M253Nkg0bGc#gid=0
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    tinead51 wrote: »
    Legacy price = best laugh i've had allday :o
    Just wait until the Legacy KDF Pack is released next month. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    saying don't make it so. my informed exposition of specific regional differences and the dynamics of the dev process trumps your "sayin' so".

let me ask you. what is your goal in this thread?

Everything you've said consists of "sayin' so." Your self-proclaimed "informed exposition," is, in fact, meaningless. Just because there are regional differences doesn't invalidate that one region is part of another, larger region. My "sayin' so" is just as authoritative as yours and has the benefit of being backed up by other posters.

TLDR? You're losing.

I should add that I do have some sympathy for you though. Sacramento does have a massive inferiority complex when it comes to the more civilized parts of California.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    It does not have to, Paypal factors it in automatically.

Curse you paypal!!! :P
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    adzcriz1adzcriz1 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's because here in EU and most certainly UK, its a LEGAL requirement to display cost + vat in the advertisement if it is being marketed to the general public, and when Atari owned cryptic it would of been, i assume, included at the time (it was when i got my LTS) but PWE is a Chinese company and may well decide to hide the full costs. whether this applies to multinational companies and adverts targeted at the global market is uncertain, as the advert, it appears, to be directed soley at USA residents (as advert is in Dollars), which may also have different legal requirements in terms of display prices

EDIT: was explanationa s to why EU citizens get shocked when VAT is added after the fact and not displayed in advert, as were used to seeing the combined price

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sollafsollaf Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2013

devs code. artists do art. no, you're wrong.

Tacofangs aka Tumorboy, is an environmental artist, Jams designs the ships, they both show up as Devs on the fourms.

You're wrong.

Also I lived in Lancaster for 4 years, and I'm about to move to Monterrey (after AF basic which starts in a week, joy...) and we do refer to the bay area as northern California.
    Sollaf: Join date Sep 2009, Lifer. Disgruntled with the JHSS, my Bug feels less shiny now.
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Just wait until the Legacy KDF Pack is released next month. :)

Dont even go there :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Anyone want to chime in or look at the potential costs in my chart? It's not adding up for me:
    Fighter: $5.00
    T1: $5.00
    T2: $7.50
    T3: $10.00
    T4: $15.00
    4@T5: $80.00
    That is $122.50 for ships.

You get 30 Keys: $33.75
    Playable Reman: $10.00
    Lib Borg Reman: $5.00
    Uniform: $5.50
    Doff Pack: $2.50

That's $179.25, and I was just guessing at the Doff back prices.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Looks like an okay deal, all things considered. I'd love to know how you quantify the value of a title, though.

At any rate, I'm tempted, but I'm going to wait to make any decisions whatsoever until I see what LTS and Gold are getting. It's not that I don't want to give you guys money, I just don't want to spend it on the same thing twice, since that would be silly.
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

this. I could do $30ish for the legacy pack. $125? you are out of your mind.

and more dangerously, this will lead STO into a downward spiral where only the very foolish with mommy's credit card (on on welfare, or something) will play the game. no one wants that.

Frankly I find this pretty offensive, rude and arrogant.

So you want to pay $30 to get 9 c-store ships, a new species, a boff, a doff pack, 30 master keys and a uniform? Dream on sir, dream on.

To say that the only people who can fork out $125 are children and people on welfare shows just how little you know about the real world. Get off your high horse, and if you don't want it then DON'T BUY IT.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I could be tempted. I know, I know. Probably shouldn't be so quick to line Cryptic's pockets with Lat- I mean money.

But in hindsight, knowing my intention for my Romulan main (an Engineer flying her D'Deridex, with the option for a Reman Sci/Tac toon), I can see a lot of things I will use in this pack, and a lot of things I will probably end up buying anyway. And truth be told, ?80 doesn't mean that much to me if it means I can enjoy myself.

One thing that I am bugged by is the "Limited Time" comment. Anyone care to elaborate on how long this offer is going to last for? Because i'd like to buy it, but I don't feel like buying it until after i've been paid, if I can help it.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    adzcriz1adzcriz1 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I will say though, its a bit naughty to not say in advert that the costs does not include local VAT IE it should say if they were being decent about it, $124.99 +Vat/Tax

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    aeonjean wrote: »
    Not sure why yet, but this pack actually kinda disgusts me. Soon as I saw it I felt uneasy.

Heaven forbid a company sell a luxury for money and OMG maybe make a profit.....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The retrofits are $20 each??

Yup. Using comparative pricing to existing retrofit ships.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The retrofits are $20 each??
    Yeah. All the T5 retros in the C-Store are generally $20.00 - $25.00. Galaxy R, Defiant R, Intrepid R, etc.
  • Options
    pointedearspointedears Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i couldnt have put it better adzcriz1, its wrong for inclusive and non inclusive prices to not be displayed, very misleading advert !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nabuborianabuboria Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Too bad gifs are not allowed here...so many ring true to this ripoff :D

ah well, LTS was good while it lasted, at least we know the new trend.

Expansion = not free, even though we say it is but really we all know it isn't we just love to lie mwahahaha :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC] Element CKY Electric [/SIGPIC]
    "similar to our already generous free-to-play philosophy" - Insert Keith Lemon laugh
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    nabuboria wrote: »
    Too bad gifs are not allowed here...so many ring true to this ripoff :D

ah well, LTS was good while it lasted, at least we know the new trend.

Expansion = not free, even though we say it is but really we all know it isn't we just love to lie mwahahaha :rolleyes:
    You're not required to buy any C-Store Rom ships, nor are you required to take advantage of the C-Store Rom bundle. You get free T1 through T5 ships for Roms just as you do KDF or Feds. If you want better ships you get the in the C-Store.
This discussion has been closed.