What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legacy Pack Pre-Order! [The price has now increased]

Comments

• aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    nabuboria wrote: »
    Too bad gifs are not allowed here...so many ring true to this ripoff :D

ah well, LTS was good while it lasted, at least we know the new trend.

Expansion = not free, even though we say it is but really we all know it isn't we just love to lie mwahahaha :rolleyes:

How is a discount bundle a ripoff?
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    captsol wrote: »
    Right, but for those that want to use all nine at once for whatever reason there's still that issue.
    Yeah, but that's a Silver issue, not a C-Store issue. You can be Silver and own 10 Fed C-Store ships. That doesn't mean you get to keep them all in your active inventory.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • sollafsollaf Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Those aren't refits. They're functionally different vessels that come with substantially different boff seating and appearances. The original refits (Galaxy, Defiant and Intrepid) didn't add new appearances.

True, we don't know the route they went with the Romulan ships though, They could go for the 20$ style, or they could go with the Sovereign style +1, at $25. That's why I said they could do the 20$ ships. I think they will go the +1 route because it will make them more money in the long run. The original retrofits did add new consoles though, ablative armor for the intrepid, cloaking for the defiant, and saucer separation for the galaxy.

We'll just have to wait and see.
    Sollaf: Join date Sep 2009, Lifer. Disgruntled with the JHSS, my Bug feels less shiny now.
  • akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    125$ for some ships that we know nothing?i know you (cryptic) thinks about us that we are all only RP players who don't care about gameplay and chalange, but that is not true!

this looks like a second plan for cryptic to make sure that they get their investment back. it looks like they are not sure if the new expansion will be good or bad.

ps: this is not flame or trolling! is only my opinion and i hope this post will remain here this time.
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Not everybody keeps all their lower-tier ships when they level up, and not everybody will use all of these ships on the same character. But still a point well taken.

But not all of these ships are top tier ships either. They ARE levelling ships, some at least.

I maintain that in my opinion 125 bucks is overpriced for the conent being given in the package.

When asked what I thought a fair price would be, I said 60 bucks. I stick by my opinion on the pricing.

I'm not planning to play enough Romulan alts to really consider purchasing this even at 60 bucks. So really this isn't that big an issue for me.

I just think, wow, 125 bucks? For pixels? That's too rich for my interest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrsladewilsonmrsladewilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    akpa wrote: »
    125$ for some ships that we know nothing?i know you (cryptic) thinks about us that we are all only RP players who don't care about gameplay and chalange, but that is not true!

this looks like a second plan for cryptic to make sure that they get their investment back. it looks like they are not sure if the new expansion will be good or bad.

ps: this is not flame or trolling! is only my opinion and i hope this post will remain here this time.

They've already stated there will be a dev blog with stats soon.
    edited April 2013
    akpa wrote: »

The ship information will be in upcoming blogs. You don't need to buy the packs today. It's not ending today. You have time to make an informed decision as to whether or now you will eventually want to buy one of the C-Store packs.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Do you know how much forum rage this might save you if they would just come out and say all this in the announcement thus making it clearer? Imagine the headaches it would save you having to sort it out later. I mean they have to know people are going to ask these kinds of questions.

These are the STO forums, nothing they do or say in any way would quell or negate forum rage.

I've read at least 10 posts in this thread that claims that this means there are no free Romulan ships, and at least 5 posts confused about Reman captains coming from the reputation system.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm really likin the new Rommie ships. I hope the "limited time" offer isn't too limitted as I have a lot on my financial hands right now, what with gettin married in June in all.
    My fiance's watchin our every dime.... :P

I don't suppose Cryptic would like to give a little wedding present to a loyal lifetime member ? :D
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I don't believe an official date has been given, but it's safe to assume the pre-order will be here until LoR goes live on the 21st. At that time all the items will go into the C-Store and be their full price.

Thank you :)
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The ship information will be in upcoming blogs. You don't need to buy the packs today. It's not ending today. You have time to make an informed decision as to whether or now you will eventually want to buy one of the C-Store packs.

Still it's a strange procedure to sell the horse before you know what it's capable to do.
  • gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    125 dollors for retrofit ships, not just any old ships, iconic Romulan ships. I have been a star trek fan sense the day I saw Undiscovered country. A universe of lore bent on honor, secrets, epic battles, and for the federation making a better tomorrow. Sto I had hopes that it would right its course, to making this game the best mmo of all time, and with the Romulans it had that chance. With this pack they have set the tempo come play a universe, oh and make sure you can spend 30 bucks a month and then some. Disgusting beyond words. My hopes is that the fans of star trek shut this game down for good on there own, by their own choice, by not buying into this expansion. This whole Romulan expansion has gone from bad to worse. As a star trek fan I can no longer say, well I get to fly this ship in this universe, because its gone way beyond that. It has become way more then having a profit, its become about lets see how much we can rip off the star trek fans. This is an opinion of one star trek fan. I will say this if sto is to be turned to the right course. It will be up to the players or cbs to send the devs that message.

Oh and before a forum mod buries my post this post is hardly just about the pack. It covers everything to do with the Romulan expansion. Including the fact that you DO NOT get to fight for the Romulan star Empire.
  • aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    szim wrote: »
    Still it's a strange procedure to sell the horse before you know what it's capable to do.

Not everyone and probably not most people are Min/Maxers.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    it would have been nice to see some stats on the items they are hoping people will buy. really should have been posted with the promotion. :eek:

I'm likely to buy only a couple ships now so i'll wait till I can buy them separately. but I would have bought the legacy pack if it was for a full stand alone 3rd faction. since it's not, i'm not going to be opening my wallet. i'll just grind dilthium for zen. very easy and saves me money that's for sure, but not helped you make money however.

that's my take on it

from a lts and pro romulan 3rd faction player since launch.
    edited April 2013
    szim wrote: »
    It's not strange to list a horse for sale before you see it, though. No one's required to buy it without checking it's teeth. :)
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    But not all of these ships are top tier ships either. They ARE levelling ships, some at least.

I maintain that in my opinion 125 bucks is overpriced for the conent being given in the package.

When asked what I thought a fair price would be, I said 60 bucks. I stick by my opinion on the pricing.

I'm not planning to play enough Romulan alts to really consider purchasing this even at 60 bucks. So really this isn't that big an issue for me.

I just think, wow, 125 bucks? For pixels? That's too rich for my interest.

*shrug* It's a valid opinion, but at the same time, $125 is not out of line for the package they're selling - it's just that I, as well, don't feel a need for *all* that stuff.

Also, digital entertainment is all pixels, isn't it? I bought the James Bond Bluray collection off Amazon - that was $150 and that, too, is just pixels.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • erockererocker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, I had a bunch of things I was going to say, but thread title clearly reads "No more debate". So...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sollafsollaf Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Also, digital entertainment is all pixels, isn't it? I bought the James Bond Bluray collection off Amazon - that was $150 and that, too, is just pixels.

Just playing devil's advocate here, you'll still have those blu-rays after Amazaon is shut down. (if ever)
    Sollaf: Join date Sep 2009, Lifer. Disgruntled with the JHSS, my Bug feels less shiny now.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gaalom wrote: »
    125 dollors for retrofit ships, not just any old ships, iconic Romulan ships. I have been a star trek fan sense the day I saw Undiscovered country. A universe of lore bent on honor, secrets, epic battles, and for the federation making a better tomorrow. Sto I had hopes that it would right its course, to making this game the best mmo of all time, and with the Romulans it had that chance. With this pack they have set the tempo come play a universe, oh and make sure you can spend 30 bucks a month and then some. Disgusting beyond words. My hopes is that the fans of star trek shut this game down for good on there own, by their own choice, by not buying into this expansion. This whole Romulan expansion has gone from bad to worse. As a star trek fan I can no longer say, well I get to fly this ship in this universe, because its gone way beyond that. It has become way more then having a profit, its become about lets see how much we can rip off the star trek fans. This is an opinion of one star trek fan. I will say this if sto is to be turned to the right course. It will be up to the players or cbs to send the devs that message.

Oh and before a forum mod buries my post this post is hardly just about the pack. It covers everything to do with the Romulan expansion. Including the fact that you DO NOT get to fight for the Romulan star Empire.

You get that this is a bundle package right? The ships will be available in the store, individually, for (most likely) exactly the same prices as iconic Fed or KDF Refits and Retrofits.

The legacy pack just lets you buy them all at once. At a discount!
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was just thinking it would be nice to also get a new character slot or two with that premium package.
    At least one.
    Could you think about addin this to the premium pack Cryptic ? Pretty please?

I'm currently at my limit with my four KDF Lt Generals and five Fed Vice Admirals :rolleyes:
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Including the fact that you DO NOT get to fight for the Romulan star Empire.
    Realistically, the Hobus Supernova took that off the table.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    You can buy Fed C-Store ships and items. You can buy KDF C-Store ships and items. You can buy Rom C-Store ships and items. No one ever expected anything else. No one was expecting to be able to buy them all at once for a discount, but that doesn't change the fact that you can simply not buy them and play a Rom, and just buy the items you want in the C-Store for full price.
  • mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Interesting... though I think I'll hold off, for several reasons.

Asking me to lay down money for items which have not been fully described and without complete specification. Really there should be laws against this. It's even riskier with digital goods, as certain consumer rights and laws don't apply, meaning less chance of a refund.

Yet again, PW is not allowing me to pay in my native currency (? GBP), meaning I have to shoulder the EUs woes and crappy exchange rate by not only paying in ? EUR, but also jacking up the price. To add insult to injury, beacause of the currency conversion required, im gonna get shafted by either my bank or paypal.

Oh, and when I do go through to paypal, the page is in German for some reason.:confused:

And apparently, the STO forums don't recognise any currency symbols other than $. :(
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I must have missed the...if it has Trek on it it has to be free because Star Trek has a messege of peace and goodness.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sollaf wrote: »
    Just playing devil's advocate here, you'll still have those blu-rays after Amazaon is shut down. (if ever)

Blu-rays and DVD's don't have infinite life either (although they'll probably outlive STO). However, even beyond the life of the disc, the life of the format is probably shorter.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • vhylevhyle Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited April 2013

You do realize the RSE was destroyed right? I mean.. that's the story of the game, and it states this in the intro movie. It not only destroyed the homeworld, but it effectively destroyed the entire core of the RSE, not much of it remains anymore.

For someone who is a trek fan, man you totally have no idea what's going on do you? I'm not a trekkie or trekker, and I know this. Seriously...

*Get's ready for the splurge that's about to happen*
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sollaf wrote: »
    True, we don't know the route they went with the Romulan ships though, They could go for the 20$ style, or they could go with the Sovereign style +1, at $25. That's why I said they could do the 20$ ships. I think they will go the +1 route because it will make them more money in the long run. The original retrofits did add new consoles though, ablative armor for the intrepid, cloaking for the defiant, and saucer separation for the galaxy.

We'll just have to wait and see.

While they have not been overly consistent with naming on the "Refit" ships, up to now no ship that is classified as a "retrofit" has had more than 9 consoles. Anything is possible, but I would certainly not be getting any hopes up - as you say, we will have to wait and see.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    vhyle wrote: »
    You do realize the RSE was destroyed right? I mean.. that's the story of the game, and it states this in the intro movie. It not only destroyed the homeworld, but it effectively destroyed the entire core of the RSE, not much of it remains anymore.

For someone who is a trek fan, man you totally have no idea what's going on do you? I'm not a trekkie or trekker, and I know this. Seriously...

*Get's ready for the splurge that's about to happen*

It wasn't destroyed. When you play the Fed campaign you do all kinds of missions fighting against the RSE. It's the faction that Sela and Taris belong to. It controls the Tal Shiar. New Romulus is a splinter group from the main RSE, which is based on Rator III and controls all of that territory in green on your map. Sure, since the destruction of Romulus and Remus it caused a whole lot of problems, but the RSE is still very much alive and probably who we'll spend a lot of time fighting against.

Now, to those who really want to serve the Romulan Star Empire, we have the perfect tool to make that happen: the Foundry. You can make the story you want to play.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The stuff all looks beautiful (kudos to the designers), but without stats its just a crapshoot. Plus I already spent my cash buying zen during the sale, but if I could buy this with those zen I might take the gamble anyways. Not expecting either though, so I'll just be patient.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    *shrug* It's a valid opinion, but at the same time, $125 is not out of line for the package they're selling - it's just that I, as well, don't feel a need for *all* that stuff.

Right. For me personally, the $20 package looks plenty nice. It has the Romuan answer to escorts, a cool title, a BO. And I'd pick up the things like Reman hull or costume ala carte.

Unless you buy every ship, don't WORRY about the $125 package... And if you do, congrats on the discount.

I think they should probably keep this bundle around and add similar $20-ish a nd $125-ish Fed bundles with existing items, because I doubt they'd sell that many ships at once otherwise. Just toss in Joined Trill, Ferasan/Caitian, and a bunch of ships. TNG uniforms for the Fed pack, Klingon Academy and skirts for the Klingon pack.
This discussion has been closed.