What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Legacy Pack Pre-Order! [The price has now increased]

Comments

• Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The price for packs are way off, I bought the STO CE for $69US and now you want $125US for pack, kind of ripoff. If the price was maybe $35/$50 range maybe but I wont be buying this pack if it that price.
    That is not a good comparison. How long did you sub for? Add that cost to the cost of the game box and then compare.

The Game is Free to Play now. It has to make money in some fashion.
  • Options
    startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I will probably buy the ships i want individually after LoR comes out.
  • Options
    mrsladewilsonmrsladewilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    aestu wrote: »

this. I could do $30ish for the legacy pack. $125? you are out of your mind.

and more dangerously, this will lead STO into a downward spiral where only the very foolish with mommy's credit card (on on welfare, or something) will play the game. no one wants that.

a well-priced game will attract a more savvy playerbase.

Since the price is pretty comparable to what C-Store stuff costs now, wouldn't this have already happened?

And the remark about kids and welfare is a total non sequitur.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    and kids before you buy, don't forget there will be FLEET versions of all these ships, so unless the C-Store console or the ???Fleet Module Reduction??? is something you are looking for... think twice about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sollafsollaf Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't think it is too much to expect the same items that the Federation and Klingon factions get for a lifetime subscription/Vet rewards to transfer over to the Romulans.

I.E Liberated Romulan/Reman, 1 free vet ship at VA (same as we get now), Special Green Glow vet skin, ect. I know you haven't released the lifetime/Vet benefits yet, but please take these into account. It would make all three factions fair. (I know you don't have a 1000 day vet ship yet but I hope you'll have something soon.)
    Sollaf: Join date Sep 2009, Lifer. Disgruntled with the JHSS, my Bug feels less shiny now.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    and kids before you buy, don't forget there will be FLEET versions of all these ships, so unless the C-Store console or the ???Fleet Module Reduction??? is something you are looking for... think twice about it.
    The D'Deridex has me confused. It wasn't described as having a Console, so it's special power seems to work like the Gal-X. Hopefully there's nothing wonky there in regards to fleet ships.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The D'Deridex has me confused. It wasn't described as having a Console, so it's special power seems to work like the Gal-X. Hopefully there's nothing wonky there in regards to fleet ships.

More than likely, since it was mentioned as a T4 ship in a previous blog it'll work thusly:

Stock D'Deridex: T4
    D'Deridex Retrofit: T5 + Console
    Fleet D'Deridex: T5.5

Basically just like the Galaxy, Intrepid and Defiants do.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm sorry you're offended. Would it help you feel less marginalized if I said I don't plan to buy either pack? I'm using the money for the ST:TNG Season 3 Blu-Ray.

For the Record, I'm only planning on buying the Valdore and the Mogai Refit (or a fleet variant that has the Valdore costume).

Why?

I really like how it looks, and getting the Valdore as my end game ship is worth more to me then a full game access to the Irvine MMO supergiant.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I did not know that spending money on entertainment purposes was irresponsible

if you pay $500 when you could get the equivalent for $40, yes, that's irresponsible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    devs do not do art design.

I think Tacofangs might dispute that assertion. Or are you arguing that one of the primary people who does art for STO doesn't actually do art for STO?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    devs do not do art design.
    Wrong. Cryptic has ship artists on staff, all of whom show up as "devs" on the forum. Let's not split hairs, here.
    I am from sacramento. no one calls san francisco norcal because it might as well be in europe.
    How bizarre. I lived in California for a long time, and folks from southern California frequently referred to the Bay area as "Northern California."
    most lower-tier mmo firms contract out their art design. the underbelly, partial symmetry and austere lines are characteristic of chinese artwork, based heavily on PLA firearms. most chinese mmos feature very similar art.
    So you have no actual knowledge that STO has done this, correct?
  • Options
    syndonaisyndonai Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The one question I have regarding all this is; will the romulan ship hulls be visually customisable like the federation and (most of) the klingon vessels? Just, personally, I would fork out for the T1-4 variants if the T5 retrofits can also use the respective 'unlocked hulls'. That D'ridthau looks awesome, but I wouldn't really splash out on it if using it will be short-lived and superceded by the T5 D'Deridex.
    PKsymbol.JPG

Peacekeeper High Command
    Scorpius - Zelbinion Mk II
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013

if you pay $500 when you could get the equivalent for $40, yes, that's irresponsible.

I was not aware there is another star trek MMo that offers the same content for much less.

Also, that is not objective. Someone with a lot of money may purchase the 500 dollar pack to support Company X responsibly, while a very poor person would be irresponsible for spending 40 dollars on a game pack when the money is needed to buy food.
    syndonai wrote: »
    The one question I have regarding all this is; will the romulan ship hulls be visually customisable like the federation and (most of) the klingon vessels? Just, personally, I would fork out for the T1-4 variants if the T5 retrofits can also use the respective 'unlocked hulls'. That D'ridthau looks awesome, but I wouldn't really splash out on it if using it will be short-lived and superceded by the T5 D'Deridex.

It is so in the case of the Valdore, so it should be with the D'Ridthau too.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

I did not know the LoR pre-purchase pack was $500.
  • Options
    theodrimtheodrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    the mmo made in irvine has a much better palette and more skilled artists. technically, sto is superior graphically to that mmo too, but it still has more skilled artists and a better palette.
    Opinion.
    the fact that distinction is subjective doesn't mean it's not quantifiable.
    Of course it doesn't, but drawing upon data to support a qualitative argument doesn't make it quantitative. That's a one-way relationship.
    the very public opinion you cite demonstrates that the mmo from irvine is the quantitative basis for its subjectively highly superior graphics.
    Incorrect. What you can surmise from that is WoW is more successful, having generated more subscriptions and higher revenue. The closest you can get to your argument is polling people, and stating "X% of gamers have the opinion WoW's graphics are preferable to EQ2's, and felt graphics was a persuasive reason to choose WoW over EQ2".

That does not mean WoW has better graphics -- that only means people thought it did.
    Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
  • Options
    pointedearspointedears Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    $125 is not 119 euros

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=125&From=USD&To=EUR

why am i being charged $119 eur by paypal ???? might wanna sort that out before I go to trading stanards/office of fair trading
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Someone with a lot of money may purchase the 500 dollar pack to support Company X responsibly
    Exactly. People who can reasonbably afford something will buy it to support the company, in hopes of that company making more stuff the responsible person likes. I could boot-leg/download the TNG Blu-Rays, but because I like Star Trek, and want to see DS9 get the Blu-Ray treament, I will buy the Blu-Ray.
  • Options
    zztopperszztoppers Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    OK I am all on board for the Romulans. This legacy pack seems pretty good. But a 181.00 value for 124.99 fine. My question is a such a steep price.

Where is Donatra's ship?
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Since you haven't been able to demonstrate that this is possible, then it's a moot point.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Wrong. Cryptic has ship artists on staff, all of whom show up as "devs" on the forum. Let's not split hairs, here.

devs code. artists do art. no, you're wrong.

How bizarre. I lived in California for a long time, and folks from southern California frequently referred to the Bay area as "Northern California."

really? what city did you live in? how long?

sf =/= bay area, bay area =/= norcal, anyone who has ever lived in CA knows that the central valley, northern counties and east of the valley have nothing in common with the bay area, and sf is its own little world, when people from CA refer to the bay area they say the bay area, and when they refer to SF they say SF - cultural differences, land values and commute issues make the distinction very black-and-white

the point is, you're clearly willing to make things up as you go along to defend PWE.

So you have no actual knowledge that STO has done this, correct?

this is what artists and art historians do. they evaluate region and period based on style. take an art class. we do it all the time. you are just saying whatever you think will defend PWE and getting in way over your head.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So...you're both an accountant *and* an art historian?
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    $125 is not 119 euros

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=125&From=USD&To=EUR

why am i being charged $119 eur by paypal ???? might wanna sort that out before I go to trading stanards/office of fair trading

It's to pay off the Ferengi's who run the currency exchanges that Cryptic has to use to convert your Euro's.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    fimbulvinternfimbulvintern Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    125$ is with out taxes.
  • Options
    erockererocker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Perhaps you should ask in the "Legacy Pack" thread?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    quintaris wrote: »
    So...you're both an accountant *and* an art historian?

Maybe he stayed at a holiday inn express?

The best part is the notion he has that somehow anyone who disagrees with his absurdities is somehow defending PWE.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Value added Tax
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So I did some number crunching, and because the C Store is down I don't know if it's accurate. How much do C Store refits and costumes cost? I made a chart, but I don't know how accurate it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjbPxewaK5DgdDM1MjhqUUR4MTRjTnR5M253Nkg0bGc#gid=0
    devs do not do art design. I am from sacramento. no one calls san francisco norcal because it might as well be in europe. most lower-tier mmo firms contract out their art design. the underbelly, partial symmetry and austere lines are characteristic of chinese artwork, based heavily on PLA firearms. most chinese mmos feature very similar art.[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]

So people in the US aren't allowed to be inspired by other countries' artwork? Besides, no matter what it looks like, it doesn't change the fact that it was designed by a Star Trek fan in the US: http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=706571 and http://vektorvisual.com/blog/

Also, I would assume that Cryptic has at least a few concept artists in house.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    OK, so you ARE going to split hairs. Fine.

Cryptic has ARTISTS on staff who regularly post on the forums.

Happy?
    the point is, you're clearly willing to make things up as you go along to defend PWE.
    Give ONE example where I did this.
    this is what artists and art historians do. they evaluate region and period based on style. take an art class. we do it all the time. you are just saying whatever you think will defend PWE and getting in way over your head.
    Except art historians also draw from facts. If it is factually known that person X drew painting Y, they don't look at the style and say, "no, it was really drawn by person Z."

Cryptic has ship artists that post here. Are you suggesting they are fake?
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Developer and Develop. The guys who make ships at STO fit the definition of developer.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Exactly. People who can reasonbably afford something will buy it to support the company

uh, no, no one does that. well, perhaps no one but the woefully deluded.

PWE is a chinese conglomerate with no interest in STO as a going concern. their goal is to make a profit. this isn't some sort of charity. it's a conglomerate that owns many properties and runs them in the way that will maximize profit, not make the best product.

again, price =/= value, revenue =/= investment. these are the typical arguments corporations use to try to bully customers into paying more for less.

anyone who believes this, there is a room full of fat cats laughing at you, all the way to the bank, right now. this is the capitalist version of Boxer from "Animal Farm" - deluded into believing that things will get better if only he gives more of his worth to the pigs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.