test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus

Comments

• dart505dart505 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    will the free romulan war birds have cloking devices like the one for kdf and will u be making other factions like cardi and hirogen and species 8472 and domion
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There's still a lot of speculation going into the rage here. The biggest question is how much the "choosing a side" action impacts the story progression.

The way I interpret what's been put out, is that there are a quantity of romulan story missions on par with fed or kdf, and your alliance determines just where you fall in fleets and stf queues and what not (maybe the perspective you play the featured episodes from?). If there only 5 levels if romulan story and then you just play your ally's missions, then yes it would suck, but the indication isn't necessarily that that's how it will be.

Also, I don't see indication that a romulan captain could fly an excelsior or the like. The question in the ask article asks about lockbox ships and consoles, so the only weird bit would be romulans with wells or krenns.

It seems to me there's still a lot of panic over speculated info which is probably being blown out of proportion.

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that from reading the dev tracker.

Which Alliance you choose will alter the enemies you fight in Romulan missions. As Stahl notes, you can level without choosing an Alliance but will have to replay level 1-10 content, as the choice needs to be made to determine whether you fight Feds or KDF in your Romulan missions.

From there, the Romulan exclusive content dries up at level 40 and you do Featured Episode series to finish.

And you can fly, at the minimum, any C-Store ships for your allied faction, which would include the Excelsior. But you do get extra ships on top of those ships that are Romulan only. And given what we've seen with the Romulan Bridge officers, flying a ship without a cloak would probably amount to some wasted potential. Which means that your best Romulans will probably be commanding Romulan ships, Klingon ships, Defiants and Galaxy-X's.

Unless they do something like allowing Romulan characters to install a cloak on any ship. Which might be a cool perk as long as it uses a console.
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You know what?

Maybe the devs should just go ahead and let the playerbase play Romulans as a stand-alone, unsupported faction within the STO Universe, if they want it so badly.

No Starbases, no ports of call outside DS9 and Drozana, no Doff or Boffs aside from the handful of independent ones available to all factions, no ships except the few designed so far for the Romulans, no being a member of any but a Romulan player Fleet (and the mandatory loss of any fleets the player might have been a part of), no entry into Federation or Klingon space systems.

I guess that would make all the Romulan players happy.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    danqueller wrote: »
    You know what?

Maybe the devs should just go ahead and let the playerbase play Romulans as a stand-alone, unsupported faction within the STO Universe, if they want it so badly.

No Starbases, no ports of call outside DS9 and Drozana, no Doff or Boffs aside from the handful of independent ones available to all factions, no ships except the few designed so far for the Romulans, no being a member of any but a Romulan player Fleet (and the mandatory loss of any fleets the player might have been a part of), no entry into Federation or Klingon space systems.

that and three-way PVP

and let me sharpen my blades in D'Tans skullbone
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You know what?

KDF started that way and they still have their own independent faction, I would gladly take no starbases for a while and still be able to make fleets on team Green. The fleet I joined was willing to start over again with a Romulan Starbase but that not going to happen now.
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You know what?

I think if they'd delivered that - with the intent of finishing it off later - then Romulan players wouldn't have been so upset.

(Not) being able to form fleets (not starbases) is a big deal - as is not being able to do cross-faction teaming. Doffing - well, they could have just omitted the Diplomacy/Marauding missions until a suitable replacement was implemented.

But a truly separate faction would have required multiple PvP queues and/or 3-way PvP/PvE and that's something Cryptic just isn't willing to mess with.

It all smacks of Cryptic having their cake and eating it - they get to market a new faction, get to introduce new cross-faction Romulan ships and most importantly, quickly level the end-game playing field so that any future updates can be 'one size fits all'.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • shifter777shifter777 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I love this whole choose your side. I have way to much time invested in the Starbase. Now I can make my new Romulan Character and have them join the Fleet. Awesome. Without it being like this I would not make another character. It would have just taken way too long to get to the very nice Fleet stuff that I have now. Of coarse, I'll be more apt to spend money this way too. Well, I guess they have to pay the bills somehow:D Anyway, everthing about this is so appealing.

Thank You Very Much
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think if they'd delivered that - with the intent of finishing it off later - then Romulan players wouldn't have been so upset.

(Not) being able to form fleets (not starbases) is a big deal - as is not being able to do cross-faction teaming. Doffing - well, they could have just omitted the Diplomacy/Marauding missions until a suitable replacement was implemented.

But a truly separate faction would have required multiple PvP queues and/or 3-way PvP/PvE and that's something Cryptic just isn't willing to mess with.

It all smacks of Cryptic having their cake and eating it - they get to market a new faction, get to introduce new cross-faction Romulan ships and most importantly, quickly level the end-game playing field so that any future updates can be 'one size fits all'.

Why would you think the Romulans would have any right to participate in a war between the Federation and Klingon Empire when the whole point of the outrage is that the Romulan players don't like the idea of allying with either one, but want to be apart? Romulan players would simply not have access to PVP queues, which are only a sub-part of the game anyway.

And the devs have said the development of the Romulans into a more independent faction is a possibility down the road, just not in the workable timeframe of May. Now, if you'd rather they put off playing Romulans for another two years while they get everything ready, then that could also be an option.

I am also not sure how happy the Romulan players would be flying ships without any BOFFs to equip them with. Now, they could clone some of the BOFFs they have, but that would be no different than what seems to be will happen now...Romulan captains using Fed and KDF BOFFs, with the additional need for new artwork.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why would you think the Romulans would have any right to participate in a war between the Federation and Klingon Empire when the whole point of the outrage is that the Romulan players don't like the idea of allying with either one, but want to be apart? Romulan players would simply not have access to PVP queues, which are only a sub-part of the game anyway.

And the devs have said the development of the Romulans into a more independent faction is a possibility down the road, just not in the workable timeframe of May. Now, if you'd rather they put off playing Romulans for another two years while they get everything ready, then that could also be an option.

I am also not sure how happy the Romulan players would be flying ships without any BOFFs to equip them with. Now, they could clone some of the BOFFs they have, but that would be no different than what seems to be will happen now...Romulan captains using Fed and KDF BOFFs, with the additional need for new artwork.

3 way pvp and territory control etc would be good for pvp and good for the game and that's rom vs fed vs kdf. not fed+rom vs kdf+rom
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013

They can say that they can work on getting fleets and starbases in for the future for Romulans, the big problem with that is that once players playing Romulans go off into two other factions and get into existing fleets with established starbases and level their Romulans up, not many will want to leave their fleets and start over down the road. You cant split up a player base then try pull them back together again. Now would of been the time to get Romulans started on their own fleets and starbases while people are rolling Romulans in a new independent faction. Reality is this is what they chose not to do and it will most likely stay that way.
  • kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    That would have made me happy, I'd have even been willing to swallow the decision to temporarily pick a side in the conflict.
    You know what?

Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I'm not going to concoct an off-the-cuff reason for their participation in the KDF/Fed war but with the Tal'shiar collaborating/being manipulated by the Iconians, I'm sure you could come up with all kinds of scenarios for Romulan skirmishes with the Klingons and the Feds - any one of which would likely be more credible than Fed-allied Romulan Republic ships going up against KDF-allied ones.

You'll just have to forgive (or not) my skepticism on that given the treatment of the KDF since launch. I hope for those players that have wanted a standalone Romulan faction since this game launched that it materializes for them at some point - I'm certainly not advocating putting off the introduction of Romulans for another 2 years though - but by rushing it (and that's what they're doing) they're making decisions that may permanently bind the Romulans to a host faction (Stahl has stated that this is going to remain a two-faction game).

Well since you don't get to join the Feds/KDF until level 10 I'm assuming Romulan Boffs at the least will be in place (I hope so anyway).
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • dhiemmdhiemm Member Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kadieras wrote: »
    That would have made me happy, I'd have even been willing to swallow the decision to temporarily pick a side in the conflict.

I think that is where they are going with this that the alliance with the Fed
    or KDF is only temporary until CRYPTIC can things fixed for more then
    two faction I hope I'm right about this but we can only wait and see.
    DHIEMM.png

Join date July 08
    edited March 2013
    there is a minority of lazy players that they are catering too. with the whole 'thank you so much I didn't want the hassle of levelling another starbase' and actually playing the game etc :eek:. some of it maybe a grind but most of it is fleet action and stfs. the fact you have to play to progress something related to your faction when you reach the end of the game is pretty important. since all fleet gear is only for max level as far as I know. building your own factions starbase makes it part of your identity as a faction now. it's end game for the current 2 factions so it should end game for the so called '3rd faction' the romulans.
    they shouldn't be piggy backing to the top of another factions work nor help build another factions starbase and most certainly shouldn't be flying another factions ships.

since people and the devs have this poor attitude towards playing the game. they shouldn't make feds have to level a kdf starbase for their alts. or visa versa :P

if it was a fair system romulans would be on there own as a faction, have to form their own fleets and build their own starbase from scratch. if we don't we wont be marching beneath the raptors wings!
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dhiemm wrote: »
    I think that is where they are going with this that the alliance with the Fed
    or KDF is only temporary until CRYPTIC can things fixed for more then
    two faction I hope I'm right about this but we can only wait and see.

Mr. Stahl already said in this very thread that Cryptic is "putting down stakes" that this is a two faction game.

It's not going to happen.
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If they want to make us pick a side while playing through a storyline during leveling, that's their choice I suppose. At that point we're supposed to be refugees. Kinda shameful but whatever. But what happens at endgame?

When the Romulan captains are max level and major forces in the quadrant, taking on borg and tholians and everyone else, what happens then?

How do you reunite the Romulan captains and stop them from feeling like they're still just refugees dependent on foreign aid?
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How do you reunite the Romulan captains and stop them from feeling like they're still just refugees dependent on foreign aid?

Man, feeling like a refugee dependent on foreign aid would be an upgrade, from what we know about Romulan endgame at this point.
  • loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    if we start out as Romulan citizens does that mean we steal weapons use knifes to fight or hand to hand to gather a weapon to use and a ship im assuming that we wont have one early on simply alot of ground fighting supplies gathering rallying the people to fight along side us and taking a ship possibly one landed on a planet or starting in some civilian transport. I think i will enjoy this alot
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well since you don't get to join the Feds/KDF until level 10 I'm assuming Romulan Boffs at the least will be in place (I hope so anyway).
    Yeah, I actually doubt that we will have to use non-Romulan Boffs at all. Now, Doffs.... not sure yet, but I'm guessing that yeah, we'll end up having a lot of "allies" for Doffs.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How is this different than how the endgame already works? KDF and FED fight alongside each other.

The pre-endgame is fully unique for the Roms par the Fleet system which is nothing more than a resource sink at any rate, they aren't losing anything interesting by sharing with another faction.

a real romulan would stay on there side of the map and let the KDF/FED and borg fight among them self end of story
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Oh, I hope at the very least, they make Romulan specific BOFFs.

Any character I make starts with at least 3 Unique BOFFs (due to account unlocks):

Liberated Borg Engineer (Female).
    Photonic Science Officer (Male).
    Android Bridge Officer (Class and Gender chosen by player).

I'd expect these to be all Romulan variants, not just clones of Starfleet or KDF BOFFs.

It would strain credibility to the breaking point if your Liberated Borg and Photonic Science Officer are human.
    How would you explain that?

And what about the BOFFs you recieve via levelling or recruitment missions?
    Are they going to be Romulans and Remans?
    Or just the standard ones from the faction you align yourself with?

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    Oh, I hope at the very least, they make Romulan specific BOFFs.

Any character I make starts with at least 3 Unique BOFFs (due to account unlocks):

Liberated Borg Engineer (Female).
    Photonic Science Officer (Male).
    Android Bridge Officer (Class and Gender chosen by player).

I'd expect these to be all Romulan variants, not just clones of Starfleet or KDF BOFFs.

It would strain credibility to the breaking point if your Liberated Borg and Photonic Science Officer are human.
    How would you explain that?

And what about the BOFFs you recieve via levelling or recruitment missions?
    Are they going to be Romulans and Remans?
    Or just the standard ones from the faction you align yourself with?
    Lib Borg are easy. The differences between the KDF and Fed versions are cosmetic anyways.

Same with photonics.

Androids.... ARE the same IIRC.

So yeah, those seem easy.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I hope Romulans get their own duty officer 'flavour'. Where Feds have Diplomacy and the Klingons have Marauding, Romulans, regardless of their affiliation, should have Subterfuge, for example.

Missions could be things like:
    • Covertly Deposit Operational Assets on <planet>
    • Assess Military Capability of <faction> in <sector block>
    • Insert Intelligence Asset into <faction>
    • Falsify Reports of <either faction>'s Military Capability in <sector block> to <ally faction>
    • Appraise Loyalty of Crew
    • Sweep Ship for Listening Devices
    • Obtain Notes From Recent Continuing Committee Hearing
    • Assassinate <someone>
    • Implant Surveillance Virus into Memory Alpha
    • Attempt to Covertly Board IKS Kaarg
    • Surveil Caitian Diplomatic Dinner

That said, I do expect Romulans will just get the doffing of their ally faction :(
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    the more things change the more they stay the same
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Cryptic has made a very fatal flaw in this whole "choose your alliance" concept. I understand alot of the new Romulan content is backstory and that part I actually like, but there are points of this whole thing that really stick out as wrong.

We are playing (well will be) as the survivors and later on in the story as survivors that have broken away with what little resources they could take with them to create a new world, a new Romulan Civilization apart from the old. We don't have the resources to join in a FED/KDF war when we are fighting for our own survival. In JJ's Trek movie, "Young Spock" put it best, "I'm now part of an endangered species".

There should be a small, utilitarian (very barebones), inexpensive Romulan fleetbase, Separate Romulan fleets, and the ability to change alliances whenever you want. Picking sides in a war at this point for the New Romulan Republic is insane, and really doesn't fit at all.

If your family doesn't have a home, has to wonder when and where your next meal is coming from and if a member of your own now endangered species is going to try and kill you and everyone you love at any given second, are you really going to care about someone else's war?

----

With all that said I understand there is a huge amount of coding that has to be done to really make the Romulans a complete separate faction when it comes to PVE, Certain Events and other areas of gameplay. In this regard it makes sense that Cryptic would have you pick a side, but I personally think they are going about it in the wrong way.

There is a small faction of Federation and KDF in the game that are willing to set aside the war and their differences for the good of all, to unite and fight against the Borg. The real question is why didn't Cryptic simply set something up for the Romulans that mimics this as it's already in the game?

In the truest sense the Fed/KDF war is just a bunch of skirmishes and not a true war. It'll still be countless months before they advance the storyline enough to were it'll be a true all out war, by then the New Romulans would be established enough to really be able to pick a side and actually contribute.

----

In a lot of ways Cryptic is really bottle-necking possible scenarios they'll be able to do with the New Romulans by forcing a permanent alliance.

----

A VERY, VERY simple solution would be with every rank up when you get a new free ship token you should also get a free new Allegiance token. Blur the lines a little and keep that Romulan intrigue and shade of mistrust either until you can fully separate the three factions or until the New Romulan Republic can really stand on it's own and really contribute to whatever alliance they decide on.

Otherwise you might as well release the Romulan Star Empire and New Romulan Republic as to seperate endgame options.....RSE for the KDF alliance and NRR for the fed Alliance and at least that way it'll make sense why Romulans are fighting Romulans in these alliances.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • radaikofromulusradaikofromulus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Otherwise you might as well release the Romulan Star Empire and New Romulan Republic as to seperate endgame options.....RSE for the KDF alliance and NRR for the fed Alliance and at least that way it'll make sense why Romulans are fighting Romulans in these alliances.[/QUOTE]

^^ This I could live with. But I can tell you that if the Romulan enthusiast were given a choice Between the RR and the RSE, the long time Romulan fan would likely choose RSE with the right Warbird and uniform. If there was a staging area for both of these two, say Rator for the RSE, they would go there and virtually ignore the KDF and only join PvP to bloody the noses of the Feds and RR. I wouldn't even decloak if a Klingon ship were surrounded and on the verge of being blasted out of space.
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    voicesdark wrote:
    Otherwise you might as well release the Romulan Star Empire and New Romulan Republic as to seperate endgame options.....RSE for the KDF alliance and NRR for the fed Alliance and at least that way it'll make sense why Romulans are fighting Romulans in these alliances.
    ^^ This I could live with. But I can tell you that if the Romulan enthusiast were given a choice Between the RR and the RSE, the long time Romulan fan would likely choose RSE with the right Warbird and uniform. If there was a staging area for both of these two, say Rator for the RSE, they would go there and virtually ignore the KDF and only join PvP to bloody the noses of the Feds and RR. I wouldn't even decloak if a Klingon ship were surrounded and on the verge of being blasted out of space.

What you just said is exactly the point I was trying to make. THAT is exactly true to Romulan philosophy and exactly what they are destroying. The Romulans do exactly what they want to do, when they want to do it, how they want to do it. If there's something beneficial in it for them then you know you can count on them, but you never know exactly how much you can count on them. That's part of the appeal of the Romulans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • githnaurpwegithnaurpwe Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's a shame the new faction won't offer something akin to the "dark ages of cam" style 3-way pvp conflicts. Something for the future perhaps? (I assume someone has already suggested running a kickstarter to fund this kind of major enhancement/overhaul?)

Still, looking forward to its release as new content is new content, which beats the alternative of no new content.

Also, some of the UI changes and customisation options look quite nice =)
    edited April 2013
    It's a shame the new faction won't offer something akin to the "dark ages of cam" style 3-way pvp conflicts. Something for the future perhaps? (I assume someone has already suggested running a kickstarter to fund this kind of major enhancement/overhaul?)

Still, looking forward to its release as new content is new content, which beats the alternative of no new content.

Also, some of the UI changes and customisation options look quite nice =)

Not seen a kick starter mentioned in this thread but they have been talked about a few times. Based on the direction this game is looking like its heading with this update. a romulan faction in sto kick starter looks like its needed as well. Since they will only listen to money and not fans.

It's pretty sad tho. February's ask cryptics responses generated 8 pages. March's ask cryptics responses has generated 88 pages(so far) of mostly people expressing how unhappy and disappointed they are with the direction they intend to take the romulans. I hope the devs actually respond to the criticism accordingly and address it, alter their intended direction and make them the faction they deserve to be.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, it would be nice if they take this onboard.

But what are the practicalities of doing so?

They'd essentially have to rebuild major facets of this so-called Faction.

Add a whole new Doffing system instead of Diplomacy/Marauding.
    And some of the other mission types would have to be altered to be Romulan specific as well.
    Also, they'd have to create Romulan specific DOFFs too.

They'd also have to model Romulan Starbases and embassies.

While I have no doubt this could be done, it would be a delay while they implemented these changes.
    Which means the release date will be pushed back.

Personally, I don't care if they push it back, since I was not going to play it anyway!

It's not that I'm opposed to actually playing the faction, it's just they failed to deliver the playable race I wanted and until they give it back, I'm not playing the faction.

I could live with any number of flaws and lack of content if only I got to play the captain I've been waiting for since the Romulan faction was announced long ago.

But since Cryptic didn't deliver the playable race I want, I see no real reason to actually play it.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(