test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus

Comments

• lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't know... the D'Deridex is supposed to be bigger and more powerful than the Galaxy, but slower, and the quantum singularity power source is supposed to be potentially more powerful than M/AM, but also more unreliable. Or something like that.
    I'd say the big unreliability problem with using quantum singularities as power sources was that we've been told that they can't be shut down once activated (presumably they can be neutralized somehow, just not in a way that allows it to be restarted) - makes it harder to repair or modify it.
  • commandersalvekcommandersalvek Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    never thought i would ever write this but it seems some of the staff are being open and honest as possible, i mean you look back a few years and all you saw was vague to the point that looking through glass was like looking through a brick wall with them. +1 to the staff on that, thats gained back some respect.

as for the previous poster, rommie ships are not designed for prolonged combat, their ships have cloaking devices used for aggressive hit and run attacks. when it comes to an assault on a borg tac cube a D'Deridex wouldnt stand a chance and their upgraded warbirds the "Mogai" which is actually a Valdore type, it was crippled with a few disruptor strikes from the Scimitar while the other one lost one of its wings in the process, again due to disruptor hits.

DS9 series during the dominion war showed that the Romulans were no match for dominion tech at all, they just made up the numbers and that was it, at least compared to fed and klingon tech which can stand upto some punishment, even the BOP's.

as for the ability to decloak fire and recloak, that can be abused too easily, there would need to be a cloaking cd.

First of all what vessel in Alpha/Beta Quadrants stands a chance against a Borg Tac Cube?-Hello wolf 359 and First Contact-Not the most balanced way to give an example of the D'Deridex Warbird in combat

The D'deridex Warbird does not get a proper showing in the series -IN DS9 we get a one sided battle of 20 Tal Shiar Warbirds and Cardassian Keldons against 150 Jem Hadar Fighters and we get get shots of static warbirds exploding in this ambush.

In the final battles -again we see warbirds here and there -we get the typical Romulans take the hit and their flagship is mentioned as lost. I saw nothing in the show that said D'Deridex was fragile compared to fed/Klingon designs

None of this is good as a reflection of the Warbirds Power

Even in print we get only a few measurements to work with:

Only in STTNG Tech Manual we get a power measurement of a "phaser pulse" of 20 Gigawatts from a Warbird compared the Galaxy's 12 type X emitters rated at 5.1 Megawatts each (In one array i.e. Upper dorsal) or the Klingon B'rels Primary disruptor cannon rated at max of 35.78 Megawatts (Klingon BOP OWM)

Here clealy The Warbird has got massive power for its weapons but the whole "canon" thing kills this.

I would argue the Romulans would not develop a vessel based on such a powerful power source on a weak frame and designed for nothing for hit and runs and given how warbirds are used by the various commanders on the show -they were confident to take on a galaxy class head on.
  • alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Exactly what I tried to say, Rom ships generally are weaker than counterparts of other major powers in galaxy, but they compensate with cloak and other subterfuge tactics. Examples from other trek games and publishers

Starfleet Command Series: Romulan ships were slow, and low HP, but right use of powerful cloak and plasma torps they become deadly.

Here's the thing. Romulans aren't going to be unique with their traditional plasma torpedo weapon. Everyone has access to everything in this game and Plasma torps are awful alpha strike weapons in this particular game. :rolleyes: (Really Cryptic, which show/movie/previous game ever gave you the idea to convert a feared one hit kill weapon into a DOT)

Instead, their advantages have to come from Cloak specific abilities. Something to consider is that Klingons alreday have full access to Romulan Boffs and consoles via reputation system and use them for their BOPs. Cryptic has mentioned the singularity core a few times. I would venture that aside from visuals, that core will be the only thing really unique to Romulans.

Off topic but don't Romulans use disruptors as energy weapons? Any geeks know the difference between Romulan and Klingon disruptors besides beam vs. cannons?
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    alopen wrote: »
    Off topic but don't Romulans use disruptors as energy weapons? Any geeks know the difference between Romulan and Klingon disruptors besides beam vs. cannons?

I kind of hate that I can answer this, but in Generations when they're searching the station that had been attacked, Worf names off some disruptor type as having been used in the attack, and Riker says something like "Great, that narrows it down to Romulan, Breen, or Klingon."

So there is no difference.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First of all what vessel in Alpha/Beta Quadrants stands a chance against a Borg Tac Cube?-Hello wolf 359 and First Contact-Not the most balanced way to give an example of the D'Deridex Warbird in combat

The D'deridex Warbird does not get a proper showing in the series -IN DS9 we get a one sided battle of 20 Tal Shiar Warbirds and Cardassian Keldons against 150 Jem Hadar Fighters and we get get shots of static warbirds exploding in this ambush.

In the final battles -again we see warbirds here and there -we get the typical Romulans take the hit and their flagship is mentioned as lost. I saw nothing in the show that said D'Deridex was fragile compared to fed/Klingon designs

None of this is good as a reflection of the Warbirds Power

Even in print we get only a few measurements to work with:

Only in STTNG Tech Manual we get a power measurement of a "phaser pulse" of 20 Gigawatts from a Warbird compared the Galaxy's 12 type X emitters rated at 5.1 Megawatts each (In one array i.e. Upper dorsal) or the Klingon B'rels Primary disruptor cannon rated at max of 35.78 Megawatts (Klingon BOP OWM)

Here clealy The Warbird has got massive power for its weapons but the whole "canon" thing kills this.

I would argue the Romulans would not develop a vessel based on such a powerful power source on a weak frame and designed for nothing for hit and runs and given how warbirds are used by the various commanders on the show -they were confident to take on a galaxy class head on.

the first part was meant towards sto in relation to where the warbird should be. lets table that, im sure there will be balance at some point when it comes to the game. that was just speculation without any facts and just thinking out aloud.

as for the warbird in the trek series, well lets look at it like this, the D'Deridex was a match for the Galaxy, no question, but its design is apparently old compared to some of the newer tech, i mean this warbird was designed off the back of the ancient D7 klingon cruiser from 150 years ago (from the time line of the game), even the Excelsior was showing its age just as much as the K't'inga has done. with the newer warbird (valdore type) it looked like it was meant as an upgrade to the iconic warbird we all like to see, but clearly it is still fragile compared to ships like the enterprise-e. it is not all bad though, the duras sisters took out the enterprise-d without much trouble and they had an aging BOP with limited armor and power, so clearly federation ship armor is not as great either, but their shields are good.

i would say that its not so much the ships having a greater weakness as a lack of shielding and heavy reliance of the cloaking device in the romulan strategies, without it i do not think the romulan commanders can command as well, remember their empire is built on an imperialistic ambitions which shows in their ability to use their vessel and command, for example bringing two warbirds to showdown with a galaxy class ship instead of 1v1. if you put a federation combat captain or a klingon veteran on the romulan ship, i bet it will fight as well as any other ship in the quadrant with some adjustments from that experience.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited April 2013
    I kind of hate that I can answer this, but in Generations when they're searching the station that had been attacked, Worf names off some disruptor type as having been used in the attack, and Riker says something like "Great, that narrows it down to Romulan, Breen, or Klingon."

So there is no difference.

Its ok. Your among friends now :D
    edited April 2013

as for the warbird in the trek series, well lets look at it like this, the D'Deridex was a match for the Galaxy, no question, but its design is apparently old compared to some of the newer tech, i mean this warbird was designed off the back of the ancient D7 klingon cruiser from 150 years ago (from the time line of the game), even the Excelsior was showing its age just as much as the K't'inga has done. with the newer warbird (valdore type) it looked like it was meant as an upgrade to the iconic warbird we all like to see, but clearly it is still fragile compared to ships like the enterprise-e. it is not all bad though, the duras sisters took out the enterprise-d without much trouble and they had an aging BOP with limited armor and power, so clearly federation ship armor is not as great either, but their shields are good.

Well for our purposes, age is irrelevant. The K'tinga and B'rel retrofits are good ships in game so a D'Deridex retro fit won't be held to requirement that it is too old to be competitive. And with the way the game is setup, Romulans won't be able to utilize the cloaking device at some kind of strategic level. The ships have to be competitive at the end of the day in 1v1 fights.

But your right. This all speculation. Federation ships and Klingon ships definetly have different feels to them. I hope they give Romulan ships a distinct feel. I'm just observing that many obvious Romulan traits have already been given to the other factions via boffs, rep gear, etc. On that note: Romulan 3 piece Space Set blows. Would the devs give Romulans something uniquely Romulan at end game that is competitive with MACO or KHG. I will laugh if they use the space set of whatever fleet they join. :rolleyes:
  • g00dbarg00dbar Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    whoops wrong thread :3
  • g00dbarg00dbar Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    my question is when this new content is released in may will we be able to use the aegis space set with Romulan faction characters and if so will it have a color corresponding to the faction just like Feds [blue] and KDF [red],i would assume we would get bright green hull outline's ,green hexagonal deflector effects and green circular Ion trails? I would like to know as i have a Aegis space set sitting in my bank waiting to be used for a new character.I understand you cant say much about what is to come in may but to put it into a Yes and No question will we as Romulan players get access to romulan specific items and/or gear from levels 1 - 39 episodes?
  • rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Will Federation Romulans be able to wear Starfleet uniforms?
    76561198032353876.png
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rooster707 wrote: »
    Will Federation Romulans be able to wear Starfleet uniforms?

No, that was already answered by the way. You just unlock a different uniform style by joining either the feds or the kdf. ;)
    edited April 2013
    g00dbar wrote: »
    my question is when this new content is released in may will we be able to use the aegis space set with Romulan faction characters and if so will it have a color corresponding to the faction just like Feds [blue] and KDF [red],i would assume we would get bright green hull outline's ,green hexagonal deflector effects and green circular Ion trails? I would like to know as i have a Aegis space set sitting in my bank waiting to be used for a new character.I understand you cant say much about what is to come in may but to put it into a Yes and No question will we as Romulan players get access to romulan specific items and/or gear from levels 1 - 39 episodes?

Yeah I'm doing the same thing for doffs. It seems that it has been hinted they can do doff missions of their respective faction choice, I'm not sure if they clearly stated if they can use the faction doffs or not. I hope they do, if they are going through with the alliance system. Fed doffs are ALOT cheaper then KDF doffs because there are more of them on the exchange. :mad: Romulans will suffer from same problem 6 months from now if they have a 3rd set of doffs.
  • rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Will our Fed/KDF characters get some sort of bonus if we have a Romulan on the same side?
    76561198032353876.png
  • geoswordgeosword Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    With warp drives being customizable, will Transwarp Drives also be a part of the system, since the Excelsior and Tuffli have Transwarp Drives?
  • batdacebatdace Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I may have missed this but what's the cost on the expansion? I'm really excited about playing a Romulan and I want to make sure my bank account is ready too :)
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    batdace wrote: »
    I may have missed this but what's the cost on the expansion? I'm really excited about playing a Romulan and I want to make sure my bank account is ready too :)

Expansion is free.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just wanted to ask Cryptic what's the Rihannsu translation of Romulan Republic (see this thread).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Problem is that the Romulan Republic is not a strong Galactic power, is a weak one, its made only by refugees, exiled and renegades colonists from the former empire. They have a common goal, live in peace but not affraid in use weapons.

Being a poor and small galactic power, means that they don't have the resources and personel to build starbases and more ships.

so no green Starbases and Fleet Warbirds, Unless, of course, that the FED/KDF are willing to design and build Fleet Romulan Ships (Story/Lore Wise). the only way that the romulans can have Fleet Warbirds from allied starbases is Romulan Addon/Project/Shipyard for each starbases(Gameplay Wise).