test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus

Comments

• tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thers an easy way to stop this while keeping the grind as u call it removed dilthium from starbases a move that no one will mind starting a new base

Sadly, I don't think they're ever going to do that.

Call me a cynic, but I think there are two ulterior motives at play here.

1. To obtain significant amounts of Dilthium for free, you have to spend a lot of time ingame mining it, running STFs or whatever else it is you do to acculumate vast quantities of this material.

And the uses for it are so numerous, you have to pay in Dilithium for crafting, Starbase Requistions, Starbase and Embassy Projects, the Dil Store, Rep gear projects, and so on.

So what you're doing is essentially logging hours not doing much at all.
    Which looks good, because Cryptic can say players are spending X time online in our game.
    And not mention the fact that time is spent doing barely anything practical.

2. Money.

Should you not want to invest massive amounts of time in farming Dilithium, you are given the option to buy it.
    To do so, you have to buy C-Points to convert to Zen.
    Which puts money in their pockets.
    And given that the Dil exchange has not yet returned to it's normal value, this is currently more costly then it should be.

I know personally I am buying less Dil now since I can't afford to keep injecting it into it's various uses, it's just getting too expensive.

So, given the above conditions, it's highly unlikely that Dilithium will be minimized.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    pakimpar wrote: »
    The policy of Cryptic has changed a lot.
    In the old good days there were engineering reports from Dstahl who informed us of the newest speculations of their ideas. The community was always part of the team. We had time to give feedback. Okay something was really pure speculation, but still i have felt cryptic was with us all the time. I miss these days.

Now they are working in secret and only blogs of the devs for features already implemented. No Participation of the users. No sign what will be implemented in the future.

Democracy includes protests and the defending of our own thinking.

Your Reaction was like "Love it or Leave it"...I like Sto and respect and love you guys for doing a great job....but this is not a proper communciation...sorry

and again folks

sorry for my bad english(but i will improve hopefully :)=

The bold part says it all.

People, you need to realize something. This is a game, not a democracy. If you want to use real world analogies. It is an aristocracy, where a privilege few make decisions for the masses, in this case the devs.

Yes, ideally the devs take the consumers in mind in all decisions they make. But any thought you have that you some how get or are entitled to a vote in the direction of a game is false. Cryptic is a company, no more no less. They will do what is best for the company and the product. Your opinions are largely irrelevant in the process.
  • pakimparpakimpar Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The bold part says it all.

People, you need to realize something. This is a game, not a democracy. If you want to use real world analogies. It is an aristocracy, where a privilege few make decisions for the masses, in this case the devs.

Yes, ideally the devs take the consumers in mind in all decisions they make. But any thought you have that you some how get or are entitled to a vote in the direction of a game is false. Cryptic is a company, no more no less. They will do what is best for the company and the product. Your opinions are largely irrelevant in the process.

I have made my MBA. Not companies decides what is profitable the customer decides. Good and succesful companies always includes key users in the research and development process. It is the most succesfull advantage of good companies. If opinions are irrelevant why should the game companies do betas. Only for testing how the features will be liked by us.

We have the money...We are the basis of the game....sto is not an isle of devs.

I was a player from the start of sto(i created today a new pw account because of technical problems...this was my first of day writing in the forums because it really upsets to see that our opinion is declared to be irrelevant)

My opinion is worth to be heard....just that i am disappointed ....doesn't mean that i am againts cryptic.....i have children myself and sometimes i critisize them because i want them to better humans...love and criticism is both possible...the world is grey and not black and white
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have made my MBA. Not companies decides what is profitable the customer decides. Good and succesful companies always includes key users in the research and development process. It is the most succesfull advantage of good companies. If opinions are irrelevant why should the game companies do betas. Only for testing how the features will be liked by us.

I was a player from the start of sto(i created today a new pw account because of technical problems...this was my first of day writing in the forums because it really upsets to see that our opinion is declared to be irrelevant)

My opinion is worth to be heard....just that i am disappointed ....doesn't mean that i am againts cryptic.....i have children myself and sometimes i critisize them because i want them to better humans...love and criticism is both possible...the world is grey and not black and white

You can influence Cryptic by spending on zen on features you like, and features you dislike.

Stupid example: If you like KDF ships, and want more KDF ships but not Fed ones, then you should buy a lot of KDF C-store ships, but no Federation ones.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Please don't misunderstand what I am saying. What I said was you're (and keep in mind I am not necessarily saying "you're" as in you specifically) opinion is irrelevant to THE PROCESS. Basically decisions are made based on what the company feels is best. Not what the playerbase feels is best.

Again, Ideally there is a overlap between what the company wants and what the playerbase wants. And yes, there is no way a company that decides things without costumer feedback is going to stay in business. but my point is people all too often think video games are a democracy. That because they pay XX amount of money they are entitled to a say in the direction of the game. And that is just not the case.

Opinions are one thing. And yes you are entitled to your opinions. But that does not mean a video game company, any video game company has to do what you want because you have paid whatever amount it is you have paid into the game.
    edited April 2013
    @voyagerfan9751

Now i have understood you right. i partially agree but not totally :)

This discussion reminds me the scifi game mass effect trilogythat almost everyone heard here as a scifi fan.

a short summary:

The end of mass effect 3 was the end of the fantastic trilogy, but this was ending was illogical and not well done compared to the quality of the game. That is why almost 90 % of the users were complaining. But the devs were felt attacked directly and said that is is the freedom of the devs and they won't change this ending. They say art is not discussable.

At the end Bioware has made a better and more logical ending because of the overwhelming criticism.

This a good example that opinions can change products and devs should not take it too personal if people are critisizing their products. I can understand it...it is their babies and we are saying they are not cute :)

i have and will always play sto, but something should change in the way cryptic is communictaiong with us .
  • fernandojimenezfernandojimenez Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    But there is not solidarity in the World of MMO. There is not solidarity in STO. All I can see is Fed fans, they have no interest in KDF or Romulan problems, same for KDF or Romulans fans, and well, casuals players, they have their personal point of view and dont help others . We have a weak player comunity so we have a weak MMO here, I think.
    edited April 2013
    But there is not solidarity in the World of MMO. There is not solidarity in STO. All I can see is Fed fans, they have no interest in KDF or Romulan problems, same for KDF or Romulans fans, and well, casuals players, they have their personal point of view and dont help others . We have a weak player comunity so we have a weak MMO here, I think.

No we have the best community here.
    The most intelligent, passionate and reasonable people are playing this game. Somes passion is stronger than it comes to romulans. This is still a very civilized discussion. In other games it would end in super trolling and chaos.I have faith that cryptic will listen. We stand united in the hope for the best of sto. But what is the best way and how to accomplish it. This is matter of discussion.
  • radaikofromulusradaikofromulus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I understand what you're saying here, but I'm not sure I agree completely. In the game I've been helped out many times by strangers in zone chat before I joined a fleet. I think the player base is generally helpful and friendly if you ask in the correct manner.

I am also of the opinion that the community here cares a great deal about STO and to varying degrees, the factions they play. I think the negativity and even the expression of so called "forum rage" shows genuine concern.

I think the frustration and concerns are growing pains. I think they're natural. I believe that when people rage or vent, they get too personal sometimes. I don't think it's because of a lack of care and I'm not sure there is a lack of solidarity. Plenty of people here share their concerns and have expressed them skillfully. I think there is some solidarity amongst the "ragers".

I'm not sure I understand what we need solidarity for, to what end? What are we trying to accomplish? I've seen areas where in game issues are addressed by devs, there are outstanding concerns that sometimes go back for months and some to the beginning of public launch, but we can't change a game play mechanic that hasn't even reached tribble yet.

And speaking more generally than to you specifically; it's impossible to address all of the concerns and to make everyone happy. I have some specific concerns about the little bit that I've gleaned from LoR Ask Cryptic, mostly about how PvP will shape up with a faction that splits its personnel among its two warring allies.

But there may be an ingenious roll out for this choice. I haven't seen it and that is what makes my concerns merely speculative at this time. I am grateful the devs have developed a Romulan faction. I have friends in the gaming industry and I've been allowed to observe some game creation in progress. It's complex, time consuming work. I'm grateful for the chance to play my favorite polity in Star Trek lore. I too would like to have seen the Romulans rebuild their empire, pre-Nemesis. But thanks to Nemesis and the ST:2009 movie, the Romulan Empire has been severely deformed.

This is what Cryptic has to work with from the start. Sometimes when a creative force messes around with something that is a pillar of our creative/fantasy/dream world of escape and imagination, it can be more devastating and painful than if something dramatic were to happen in real life. Star Trek goes back to childhood for many of us. Some of us were Star Trek fans drawn much more closely to a non-federation polity like the Klingon or Romulan Empires. I'm not saying that anyone should stay mum. That no one should stay silent and not speak up and mention their concerns. I'm saying that we should have perspective about the frustration, anger and pains that the growth of STO and Star Trek has out on us and try not to be venomous to other players or the dev team. We're all humans in real life, we make mistakes and most of us try our best.

I'm reserving my opinions about the Romulan faction till I can play them. Even if my concerns become validated it doesn't overshadow the long hours and hard work a real living being has put into this fantasy environment for our entertainment.

Thanks devs. Here's hoping for a phenomenal launch and constructive collaboration to fix the bumps that can't be avoided.
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    For goodness sakes, please remember that this forums has guidelines. Please tone down the rhetoric or this thread will get locked. Going out of bounds is going to lead to infractions.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of assumptions being made in this thread that are way out of whack for how it is actually implemented. Many posts are stating opinions about something that no one in the public has played yet.

Give the hard working team some credit for everything they've been working on by reserving your opinions until you actually play it. It will be free to play and free to download the expansion. If you want to judge something you haven't played just based on a description, then sorry, you're missing some of the best content we've ever made.

If you don't like it, don't play a Romulan. It isn't required that you play a Romulan. Yes we've been talking about how we would implement other factions in the game for a while, and as I said then, plans can change. Even since that Reddit chat, we actually did the work to make Romulans their own faction.

Many people are hearing "choose an ally" and thinking that you become FED or KDF and that is not true. You remain a Romulan. You don't lose your identity. You don't lose your faction's goal. Your ally is there to help you - to give you tech - to give you ships and help you stand up against the Tal Shiar. Even in game right now, New Romulans are looking to both Klingons and the Federation to help, and this is just an extension of that. So it is not about you dropping what your goals are and reporting into Admiral Quinn now. You report to the Romulan Republic.

This also allows for cross faction teaming. Something that encourages group gameplay and can be fun. Want to go play some Romulan missions, but don't want to be a Romulan? Go team up with one and help them with their missions. Want to help fight the silent enemy? Queue up together and go fight together. We've made a commitment that when we make fun new events, they are for everyone to play. Yes the "Star Trek Rules" bend sometimes when we have Feds and KDF grouping up to fight the Borg, but it can also be a lot of fun and leads to a more lively MMO.

Anyone who wants a 3rd queue faction hasn't played a Klingon. As I said before, that isn't good for the game. We allow cross faction teaming because it allows more people to play together.

Play Legacy of Romulus and either enjoy it or not. The proof will be whether or not the game continues to grow and if people enjoy it as much as we think they will. Fortunately, our continued future success is not based on what people think of something they haven't even played yet.

We look forward to showing you everything we've been working on very soon. This is why we're working the extra time to get things setup and ready on TRIBBLE. We're almost there.

Live Long and Prosper.

Good talk Dan!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    Actually, the reason I don't bother with KDF gameplay is that it is really Klingon gameplay.

Every story, every mission, even the DOFFing is all Klingon, all the time.

I would have loved to see some Orion, Gorn, Nausicaan or Lethean specific stories, just to break up the "Honor! Death! Glory!" stories.

It's even more galling that my KDF Captain is not a Klingon, so he wouldn't apply their solutions to his problems.

Also, I've grown tired of the KDF bugs that remain unfixed despite over a year of reminding Cryptic to fix them.

Which is why, given the choice, I will always choose Starfleet over KDF.

As for Romulans, I was more interested in them, but the withdrawal of my desired playable race was the major factor in putting that "faction" (note the Turian airquotes) on hold.

The second factor is I expected a faction all about Espionage, diplomatic double-dealing and just outright deviousness.
    Instead, I got a minifaction that just goes straight into Starfleet gameplay with none of the trademark Romulan storyline trademarks.

As for Mass Effect 3, I wasn't too thrilled by the final chapter.
    I expected to fly around the galaxy nuking Reapers with the Thanix cannon (mainly because I always wanted to know what would happen if you used a Reaper weapon on Reapers).
    Instead, we invest all our effort in building a massive plot device and agonizing over the death of a few people on Earth (and I mean few, it's just the crew of a shuttlecraft!) when there's a war to fight and many more people galaxywide are dying!

Also, the lack of control involved in two character's fates annoyed me no end.
    I didn't want Legion to die, but no matter what path I took, he still ended up dead.
    And Thane, all he can do is die slowly or die faster.

That's what ME3 felt like for me, that all the decisions had been predetermined and no matter what choices I made, I could only change small parts of the story.
    And what I changed only had personal impact (for example, making sure Miranda and Kelly didn't get killed), they had no effect on the larger story.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
    edited April 2013
    I think a have good solution for all of us(devs, rom-alts and rom mains)

Why we are not introducing a 3 way-side system:

1 way to choose fed

1 way to choose kdf

1 way to choose Romulus(the rom main stay there and are willing to wait until their faction will be 100 %)..it would even fit to the story because are building everything from the bottom

make the decisions ultimate

+ romulan ships only for romulans

+romulan are not allowed to enter qonos or esd only ds9 or droganza(because romulans are still under suspension und ds9 and droganza would be livelier)

This solution won't change the plans of cryptic and it is technical possible and would make everything happy

What you are thinking ?

Give me feedback
    edited April 2013
    Actually, that's what I thought we were getting.

If you want to stay Pure Romulan without choosing a side, do so!

But apparently, you have to choose Starfleet or Klingon, no middle ground.

Personally, I think this problem could be solved by just buffing up on the XP on the featured episodes, which are the only true non-factional content.

I'm not going to play the faction because of the condition for playing it mentioned many times, but in theory, if I did play it, I'd be perfectly happy with an unfinished faction until they can give it a proper treatment!

Heck, I levelled a KDF to max rank on nothing but sector explores!

And that was back when the game had next to nothing for levelling besides those missions, there are more options now.

As for the Romulan equivalent of Diplomacy, if they're not motivated to create a unique system at the moment, just let us tag all Diplomacy and Maruading missions and accumulate the points towards the Doffing Rank.

Starbases might be a bit more complicated, it'll require creating 5 distinct models and the interior as well.

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There needs to be Liberated Borg Romulan as an option added solely for lifetime subscribers for the launch of the new half faction. Not only would this make current lifetime subscribers happy, it would give those who don't have lifetime subs another reason to think about getting one. A lack of Liberatee Borg Romulan at the start would be a serious kick in the groin to all current lifetime subscribers!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jcsww wrote: »
    There needs to be Liberated Borg Romulan as an option added solely for lifetime subscribers for the launch of the new half faction. Not only would this make current lifetime subscribers happy, it would give those who don't have lifetime subs another reason to think about getting one. A lack of Liberatee Borg Romulan at the start would be a serious kick in the groin to all current lifetime subscribers!
    We might get Lib Borg Romulans. Dan didn't say conclusively one way or the other. He knows people want them, so we should wait and see.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    Actually, that's what I thought we were getting.

If you want to stay Pure Romulan without choosing a side, do so!

But apparently, you have to choose Starfleet or Klingon, no middle ground.

Personally, I think this problem could be solved by just buffing up on the XP on the featured episodes, which are the only true non-factional content.

I'm not going to play the faction because of the condition for playing it mentioned many times, but in theory, if I did play it, I'd be perfectly happy with an unfinished faction until they can give it a proper treatment!

Heck, I levelled a KDF to max rank on nothing but sector explores!

And that was back when the game had next to nothing for levelling besides those missions, there are more options now.

As for the Romulan equivalent of Diplomacy, if they're not motivated to create a unique system at the moment, just let us tag all Diplomacy and Maruading missions and accumulate the points towards the Doffing Rank.

Starbases might be a bit more complicated, it'll require creating 5 distinct models and the interior as well.

This is totally what I am after, I would rather have the third option of remaining my OWN ally, not supporting another faction. I dont need Fed ships or KDF ships, I would rather not have a starbase than have a fleet that is part of the KDF or Fed.

I mean at this point I would be happy to remain a pure Romulan and have no starbase assets at all with the fleet progression just unlocking new vendors in our social hub. And if they are really worried about Romulan Fleet progression because people have "invested" so much into KDF or Fed fleets then why not add a Romulan Fleet bonus to all Romulan fleets that allows them to reach higher tiers with less input/time?
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Turbine charges far less than Cryptic does for comparable wares and Turbine's qualify as "gold master" not "pay to beta".

Let's see, LoTRO Expansion $30-$80, depending on which version you get. STO expansion $0, hmm, not sure what math you are using.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • greatbritongreatbriton Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In this brand-new, special edition of Ask Cryptic, Executive Producer Daniel Stahl delivers answers to player submitted questions about our upcoming expansion.

Link to the Ask Cryptic.

A note from dStahl:

Oh dear. I come back from a holiday, with an Easter spring in my step because - not long now - I would be soon march across the galaxy and reclaim the Endless Sky in the name of the Romulan people, ripping it from the grip of the undeserving Federation and Klingon Empires.

Instead we get this pseudo-faction 'compromise', where we are asked to go cap in hand for 'allies'. You can't even pretend to ally with them, and stab them in the back later!

You could say:

Its a FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE faction.

;)
    Klingon-RomulanAlliance7a_zps2aa8171d.png
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    I personally am happy that we get to play as D'tan's Romulans.
    A lot of my friends would prefer to be able to play a "good" romulan, instead of a Tal'shiar villain.
    lizwei wrote: »
    Why exactly must the choice be "D'Tan hippy" or "Tal'Shiar villain"?
    How about a normal member of the Star Empire, who believes in the supremacy of the Romulan people above all others, and wants to work to restore it and not mortgage their future to their sworn enemies?

Have to agree with lizwei here. I want to play as part of the RSE, which DOES exist in STO, and is separate from the Tal'Shiar.

Not to mention the fact that there are people that enjoy playing the bad guys. They may not be tpalelena's friends, but they do exist. And I would argue that a true Romulan would see both the Tal Shiar working with the Iconians and D'Tan's Fed-Lite Republic "allying" with the Feds and KDF as two sides of the same coin - a deal with the devil that costs the Romulan people their independent soul.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    felderburg wrote: »
    Have to agree with lizwei here. I want to play as part of the RSE, which DOES exist in STO, and is separate from the Tal'Shiar.

Not to mention the fact that there are people that enjoy playing the bad guys. They may not be tpalelena's friends, but they do exist. And I would argue that a true Romulan would see both the Tal Shiar working with the Iconians and D'Tan's Fed-Lite Republic "allying" with the Feds and KDF as two sides of the same coin - a deal with the devil that costs the Romulan people their independent soul.
    Read the latest Dev Blog from Goatshark.... It's not seperate, not any more... So yeah, either you're with the Tal'Shiar or in the d'Tan group.....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • vulcanclippervulcanclipper Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    Well Cryptic, you've managed to disappoint even me, a hardcore cynic.
    I was genuinely looking forward to a Romulan faction, and instead we get faux Romulans, licking the heels of the Federation and Klingons?

I am disgusted.

Cryptic did not invent Hobus disasater. Empires fall. Survivors must adapt. As someone who was born and raised in a great empire that fell apart following a nuclear disaster I deeply identify with the current Romulan paradigm.
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Read the latest Dev Blog from Goatshark.... It's not seperate, not any more... So yeah, either you're with the Tal'Shiar or in the d'Tan group.....

And I say that Cryptic should be innovative in their storyline, and allow us to create a third path, or at the very least choose between the two existing paths.

Ideally I want an RSE that is independent of both the Iconian influenced Tal Shiar and Spock Jr.'s Fed-Lite Republic.
    Cryptic did not invent Hobus disasater. Empires fall. Survivors must adapt. As someone who was born and raised in a great empire that fell apart following a nuclear disaster I deeply identify with the current Romulan paradigm.

I am very interested in hearing more about this.
  • fernandojimenezfernandojimenez Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2013

There are FED and KDF playable Romulans. Romulan Story, Ships and Costumes dont make a faction. The truth will set you free.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i'm trying to stay positive despit..... everything lol
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    felderburg wrote: »

No true Romulan, huh?
  • kingitiikerikingitiikeri Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sry if someone alrdy asked this earlier, but what type cloaking devices Romulan warbirds will have?

As Romulans are developers of the cloak, I really hope BoP battlecloak will be standard for romulan ships. As it would be ridiculous to have romulan warbird backing out from fight just to get cloak up.
    Every single time you have had a chance to play romulan ships in trek based games, their tactics cornerstone has been hit and hide, provided by fast cloak and plasma torps.

I really hope D'Deridex will have same shock and awe than b4, appearing in middle of the battle, releasing volley of plasma, then hiding again before enemy even knows what hit him.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    never thought i would ever write this but it seems some of the staff are being open and honest as possible, i mean you look back a few years and all you saw was vague to the point that looking through glass was like looking through a brick wall with them. +1 to the staff on that, thats gained back some respect.

as for the previous poster, rommie ships are not designed for prolonged combat, their ships have cloaking devices used for aggressive hit and run attacks. when it comes to an assault on a borg tac cube a D'Deridex wouldnt stand a chance and their upgraded warbirds the "Mogai" which is actually a Valdore type, it was crippled with a few disruptor strikes from the Scimitar while the other one lost one of its wings in the process, again due to disruptor hits.

DS9 series during the dominion war showed that the Romulans were no match for dominion tech at all, they just made up the numbers and that was it, at least compared to fed and klingon tech which can stand upto some punishment, even the BOP's.

as for the ability to decloak fire and recloak, that can be abused too easily, there would need to be a cloaking cd.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • kingitiikerikingitiikeri Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Exactly what I tried to say, Rom ships generally are weaker than counterparts of other major powers in galaxy, but they compensate with cloak and other subterfuge tactics. Examples from other trek games and publishers

Starfleet Command Series: Romulan ships were slow, and low HP, but right use of powerful cloak and plasma torps they become deadly.

Armada series: Romulans are generally weaker than other races, but they build up quick, and have secondary weapons that can be used to spy or disable enemy ships when attacking by surprise.

Birth Of the federation: in turn based combat, Romulans get "free starting turn" for all ships that are cloaked, but yet again, HP and weapon power is lower than other races.

So I don't want rommie "super ships", just that they are similar than rommies b4, using extensive cloak tactics to counter their flaws in other areas. As stated, Romulan warbird cannot last long in head to head combat, but with hit and hide with battle cloak, they can survive. Personally I've always liked to play roms with these flaws, as you really need to think, instead of ust blasting head to head with any opponent.
  • gantoris007gantoris007 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Great job Cryptic. Seriously. :)

I hope you don't let all the rude idiots get you down.

Tons of work and love went into this.

Well done! Masterful.

-Vree
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Exactly what I tried to say, Rom ships generally are weaker than counterparts of other major powers in galaxy, but they compensate with cloak and other subterfuge tactics. Examples from other trek games and publishers

Starfleet Command Series: Romulan ships were slow, and low HP, but right use of powerful cloak and plasma torps they become deadly.

Armada series: Romulans are generally weaker than other races, but they build up quick, and have secondary weapons that can be used to spy or disable enemy ships when attacking by surprise.

Birth Of the federation: in turn based combat, Romulans get "free starting turn" for all ships that are cloaked, but yet again, HP and weapon power is lower than other races.

So I don't want rommie "super ships", just that they are similar than rommies b4, using extensive cloak tactics to counter their flaws in other areas. As stated, Romulan warbird cannot last long in head to head combat, but with hit and hide with battle cloak, they can survive. Personally I've always liked to play roms with these flaws, as you really need to think, instead of ust blasting head to head with any opponent.

I don't know... the D'Deridex is supposed to be bigger and more powerful than the Galaxy, but slower, and the quantum singularity power source is supposed to be potentially more powerful than M/AM, but also more unreliable. Or something like that. It seems more like a "cripple them with an alpha strike and then finish them quickly" to me... sort of like a Rogue in WoW. Strong with an opener, not good in prolonged engagements.

Then again I really hope to get to do the viral matrix/tractor beam/high yield plasma torpedo combo the NPC Warbirds have.

edit: Oh, plus they have to be able to tank, at least some of them. Hide-and-seek doesn't make for good tanking.