What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• Options
    tatterdemalion1tatterdemalion1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok, so I've read as many posts in this thread as I can, and here's my 10 cents' worth:

1) The fleet size issue is really simple to fix and keep everyone happy. Scale the requirements for fleet projects to the size of the fleet. Since this would be exploitable so easily, all you have to do to fix it, is make it so that all Fleet credit is lost on changing fleets. Exploit removed, small fleets get to be as happy as the big ones. Everyone gets starbase enjoyment.

2) Fleet marks... Really, all this ranting because they removed them from IOR daily ? Who cares. To be honest I get about 600 fleet marks a week without doing any missions or fleet events just from the Duty Officer trade in mission. And that's per toon. Not really difficult. As for the fleet events themselves, well it's true, if you go with PUGs you usually get done over since there's a lot of incompetent people dragging your rewards down. So either (a) go with fleet mates and do well, or (b) if you can't find any decent players to go with, find a fleet that is interested and will do these events with you because they want to too !

(Shameless plug - if you want a good fleet with people who are into the game and do like teaming up for fleet events, and STFs, join The Phoenix Vanguard !)
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have to say well done Dan... This patch Rocks the fleet marks!!!
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok, so I've read as many posts in this thread as I can, and here's my 10 cents' worth:
    2) Fleet marks... Really, all this ranting because they removed them from IOR daily ? Who cares.

Then you obviously didn't read enough.

The Fleet Marks issue is a symptom - not the root cause of this thread.
    mikefl wrote: »
    I have to say well done Dan... This patch Rocks the fleet marks!!!

And breaks the Andorian ship!!! WOOHOO!!!
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And breaks the Andorian ship!!! WOOHOO!!!

The bar for excellence set by QA continues to hover about 2cm off the ground, apparently. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Originally Posted by dastahl
    "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre."

Dan that is exaclty what is wrong!

Star Trek gamers are not like the "average" MMORPG player in other games!

We are not grinders, we are fans of Star Trek!

You have within your grasp a way to generate more profit than you could ever image and we would gladly support you if you just think about the following;

Playable Factions

And here is how it would generate for years the long term profit you want.

1) Ships, Weapons, Consoles, Bridge Officers, Duty Officers, Costumes [ship and character], etc. for the faction.
    a) Available as a player levels up in that faction.
    b) Special Z-Store versions
    c) Ultra rare versions from your favorite money maker aka Lockboxes
    d) New fun missions with drops that are worth the time spend in them as a reward.
    e) STF based missions with something valuable that is only available from completing it.
    f) New Fleet and Embassy bases for that faction (just don't make them into a grind)

And if you look at your "metrics" you will see this approach would work and give you a path that is unending for years to come. It opens the whole universe to your imagination!

So what factions am I talking about?

well let's start with the obvious one...

Romulan and continuing with these (not all at once but spread out over the launches);

Borg
    Undine
    Dominion
    Cardassian
    Hirogen
    Orion
    Ferengi (these are perfect to make into the pirates/traders of the universe)
    Tholian
    Reman

Well you get the picture... You never run out of something new to add for your next seson!

This also generates profit from the players buying more character slots and all the things that go with a playable faction.

You see, if you only look at short term "metrics" to create your "vision", then you miss out on what the Star Trek universe and it's fans really are... unlimited imagination with unlimited possibilites!

To quote something from your own web site...

"Players will have the opportunity to visit iconic locations from the popular Star Trek fiction, reach out to unexplored star systems and make contact with new alien species. With Episode Missions, every moment spent playing Star Trek Online will feel like a new Star Trek episode in which you are the star."

and last, but I think the most important "vision" for STO...(by the way from your web site again)

"Join us in Star Trek Online, and boldly go where no one has gone before!"

So as you can see, Star Trek is not like other MMORPG games at all and neither are we!

Zeus
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=561841

*GASP* Cryptic released a product/patch with bugs and obviously wasn't fully tested? Say it ain't so!!!

Basically people paid $50 for ships against which a tier 1 ship (unintentionably) probably has better survivability.

We must be talking to ourselves in this thread.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=561841

*GASP* Cryptic released a product/patch with bugs and obviously wasn't fully tested? Say it ain't so!!!

Basically people paid $50 for ships against which a tier 1 ship (unintentionably) probably has better survivability.

We must be talking to ourselves in this thread.

No just alot of dead hearing aid batteries! Looks like the new QA "vision" did not even last one full day! Oh well back to the campaign it seems... :(

PWE/Cryptic Where are you? Why are you NOT listening to your Customers again?

PWE/Crytpic Stop the PUBAR!

(PUBAR = Patched Up Beyond All Recognition)

Zeus
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    First, "many people aren't happy" is a matter of perspective. There are certainly people that aren't happy, but there are also many people that are happy. You simply can't make an MMO that pleases every single person all the time. What you can do, is work to grow the game and make tough decisions about what is good for the game right now.
    ...and, you calling "Star Trek: Online" a success is a matter of perspective.

We can play this game all year long.
    ...Guess what - STO not only survived, but we're now the best performing game at PWE. We might not always be, but we have been smart about what we do.
    Talk about low expectations. I would rather want to be the best MMO in the world.
    And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre. While it isn't the perfect solution, it is where we are at now. We want to make it better, but it takes time. We will increase the level cap. We will add more reps. We will add more feature episodes. We will add more adventure zones. We will add more ships. We will add more rewards. We will add more of everything that STO needs.
    Did you just say, "We want to be like everyone else; thus, we do not care about innovating the MMO experience"?

Within one year of your competitor's game release, they are raising their level cap from 50 to 60. "Star Trek: Online" has been sitting at level 50 for three years.

You need to be replaced for having low expectations and a lack of innovative thinking.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    ...Within one year of your competitor's game release, they are raising their level cap from 50 to 60. "Star Trek: Online" has been sitting at level 50 for three years.

A raise in the level cap requires actually content to level up on/with. The only "content" we've gotten are lockboxes (and today a ship pack that is now being reported as broken).
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    A raise in the level cap requires actually content to level up on/with. The only "content" we've gotten are lockboxes (and today a ship pack that is now being reported as broken).

So, grinding out a five tier fleet base, three tier embassy, and two five tier reputation systems does not constitute the need for a level cap raise? People are spending more than six months on these systems, and you are saying the level cap increase is not deserved?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    So, grinding out a five tier fleet base, three tier embassy, and two five tier reputation system does not constitute the need for a level cap raise?

No but you get the "Farmer" of the year award!

PWE/Cryptic Where are you? Why are you NOT Listening to your Customers again?

PWE/Cryptic Stop the PUBAR!

(PUBAR = Patched Up Beyond All Recognition)

Zeus
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    zeus16nbs wrote: »
    No but you get the "Farmer" of the year award!
    Or, an award for grinding your hands into oblivion.

rofl...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    spending more than six months on these systems, and you are saying the level cap increase is not deserved?

Wow, it seems to me you are looking for fight anywhere you can find it even if it is against someone who fundamentaly agrees with you :D

Look at the last part of what I said:

I'm obviously being critical of Cryptic and their decisions.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Wow, it seems to me you are looking for fight anywhere you can find it even if it is against someone who fundamentaly agrees with you :D
    rofl...

I am so tired. I apologize.

rofl...

Please forgive me.

:D

I am just so upset that dastahl's goals are set extremely low. "Star Trek: Online" should be run by individuals who want to become the best in the business. According to dastahl's own words, he is just happy with being the best at PWE. He also does not want to innovate the MMO experience. Its crazy.

I hope Cryptic's investors are reading these posts.
  • Options
    izdubar2izdubar2 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre.

There is a huge difference between Zynga/Facebook game "grindy" and AAA Title "grindy"

The difference is that AAA titles hide their grind well and in ways that are entertaining. GW2 does this well -- while I am cognizant that there are grinds in advancing my small guild (which is not hamstrung by bad design decisions!) or my character (skill points, top tier armor, fancy longbow skin), just playing the game will get me most of the way there.

It seems that your time at Zynga did not serve you well, as your competitors are aiming far higher than "grindy."
    How MMO companies reach for the stars: "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre."
  • Options
    mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nice to see they listened and now the fleet mark missions are worth doing. got a great amount during the event time. hopefully it stays this way though!
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    snip

Brutal Honesty Time

Look, I don't think the unhappiness right now stems from the work from the teams. It stems from the disconnect between the various types of players and the seemingly disconnect from the decisions made. And it is not the decisions about priorities, or what type of content is being released either.

It is the horrid imbalance in the game. And I'm not just talking ship types, weapon types, rewards, but all of them.

It is the disconnect between the PvP community who wants to have some good old pew pew without a million spam issues or brokenly strong things getting in the way.

The PvE crowd who hates to chase space bunnies, or those who hate ESTFs and all that go along with them but are forced to do them if they wish to progress.

Those players who want to give Cryptic money for a fleet ship but dread to leave their small friendly fleet to do so.

That is the issue. This has very little to do with the developer teams themselves. These are decisions that have been made by yourself and the leads and very easy to change.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited February 2013

It might not seem like much to you, but to us it is a big TRIBBLE deal.

So when we get to the year 4 anniversary and we look back at 2013, I certainly hope that we'll be in better shape just like we are every year and that at least the majority of us will be happy with where the game is going.

Lets hope when you talk about the KDF at that point that its more than just one ship :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Not wanting to pile on, but I posted this in one of the many Andorian ship bug threads:

Building three ships with all those lines of code is a relatively difficult thing to do.

Having someone look at the ships after completion and comparing what it's modifiers and values are and what its cooldowns are and compare it to what the designer(s) have decided what they should be is not hard at all.

The player base can mouse over and read a tooltip. Why is it so hard for the devs to do the same?
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hmm i seam to remember people complaining about cryptic releaseing new stuff with bugs and there go and do it again by the looks of it im really glad that im not buying any more zen untill/unless there start taking a real look at why so meny people are not happy with the past few mths. :mad:
    FIX BUGS, STOP AFKERS IN TEAM MISSIONS AND LEAVE THE REWARDS ALONE THAT WE LIKE.
    MESS ABOUT WITH THE REWARDS FOR MISSIONS THAT NO ONE PLAYS.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Thanks for the new signature quote.

You're the gift that keeps on giving.:)
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    First, "many people aren't happy" is a matter of perspective. There are certainly people that aren't happy, but there are also many people that are happy. You simply can't make an MMO that pleases every single person all the time. What you can do, is work to grow the game and make tough decisions about what is good for the game right now.

That could be improving something. It could be adding something new. It could be addressing underlying code. It could be adding a new mission.

It is very easy to lose a greater perspective when you are having to prioritize everything that you do.

For example, which is better - to adjust a portion of the tutorial or make a new mission?

The best decision depends on the desired outcome. If the goal is to grow the game, then it might be surprising to know that re-organizing something in the tutorial has a 10x greater impact on growth than adding a single new mission to the game. Both updates may cost the same in development manpower, but when you are fighting for growth and improving the potential future for the game, the trade-offs aren't always obvious unless you can see what ALL players are doing in the game at any given moment. This is just a hypothetical, but it illustrates that we often have had to make decisions based on what is good right now and what will lead to better results down the road.

A holy grail of live MMO development is to improve growth, retention, and revenue. STO has managed to do all of these things thanks to the tough decisions that were made. Did it make everyone happy? No, but it did improve the game, year over year.

And when the game starts moving in a positive direction, like it has, the net result can be a positive snowball. The more we grow, the bigger the staff, the more we can do, the more we can address, the more we grow... etc... etc... etc...

STO has managed to release updates more frequently than many MMOs on the market. When you look at how much as been added since we launched, and compare it to the resources we had available at the time, it is staggering. We are extremely aggressive at work and people do put in a lot of effort. The team hasn't really had any sort of break since we launched. It has been nonstop fast paced development for years. We are putting out missions, updates, fixes as fast as we can... and some would argue we are even doing it too fast - and thus bugs and missed steps. But it is only out of our desire to deliver.

Sometimes I get the impression that people look at other big MMOs and think, why doesn't STO make big updates like those? Well for one thing - those big updates can take years with 160+ man teams. If we were to wrap everything we've done over the last three years into a big mega update, then perhaps we could say that "Season1-7 all together" would be on par with what another MMO may release as a big boxed update.

But STO didn't have 3 years to do that. We were a 66 metacritic at launch. You don't get 3 years to make a big update. You have to start addressing issues immediately and ensure that every major decision is going to move the needle forward towards survival and growth. Guess what - STO not only survived, but we're now the best performing game at PWE. We might not always be, but we have been smart about what we do.

Again - that might not make you happy, but it has ensured the continued expansion of the game. And now that we're going into our 4th year - we have a lot more firepower, and a lot more support for what we want to do next. This is why we can take a little longer on the May update. Why we can do things bigger than we have previously. We've found a way to make it all work.

This doesn't really solve the problem that every MMO player wants new things to do constantly. Heck - I do. I want something new.

It just takes time. Instead of having to wait a full year for something to happen - we are adding little new things all the time. We'll have two major releases this year alone - and each of those updates will have a bunch of new things to do.

And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre. While it isn't the perfect solution, it is where we are at now. We want to make it better, but it takes time. We will increase the level cap. We will add more reps. We will add more feature episodes. We will add more adventure zones. We will add more ships. We will add more rewards. We will add more of everything that STO needs.

It just takes time. And right now, you may not see it, but the team is working extra hard. It is one thing to say that Cryptic pays our salary. But it doesn't really pay for all the late nights and weekends all the salaried employees are working right now. Why are we doing it? Because we are excited. Excited about what we are building. Excited about what we might be able to achieve this year.

It might not seem like much to you, but to us it is a big TRIBBLE deal.

So when we get to the year 4 anniversary and we look back at 2013, I certainly hope that we'll be in better shape just like we are every year and that at least the majority of us will be happy with where the game is going.

Dan thank you for your humanistic approach in this post... much better than the previous responses to players frustrations. I know it doesn't answer everyone's concerns but at least explains some the why and what is going on behind the scenes. Engineering reports back in the day seem to quell a lot of this because players new the behind the scenes workings. I think everyone is just trying to find some balance between grind/story/work/ and home life. You can definitely tell everyone is passionate about the game whether a developer or a player.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    While I appreciated the apologetic spirit of Mr. Stahl's message about the 14 February patch--I am sorry, but I must say that I am with those saying that those words have got to be backed up by consistent actions before I will again feel confident that in paying into this game, I am paying into a quality product. As it is right now while I will continue on F2P, to be with my fleet and with this community, I do not feel yet that my money would be going towards quality.

The QA has to be improved. Period.

And regardless of how others might feel about this, I do agree with you when you say an exploit is an exploit is an exploit--and it has to be patched. But the fact that a patch was rushed out without the other half of the plan: restoring what was taken away...that was not cool, and not something I want to see a repeat of.

And we really do need more content. I'd like to see this game advance, and not just with a grind.

We have the potential for a good start here. Let's move forward and not lose sight of what came out of this extremely difficult moment.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    officialstoofficialsto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Concerning small fleets, let them sublet a base (like stepkids) with a bigger fleet (with a station) or let small fleets band together to enjoy the advantages of a large fleet/station.

To that end, when a fleet goes away one should be able to hand that empty fleet to another group. Such a shame to waste all of that effort, don't you agree? We aren't spending money to build ours, just time, grinding, etc..

As a feel good jesture to me (and others), could you allow us to recover the fighters that we send out? I hate to waste things, even if they are only virtual - haven't you ever seen Tron or Twilight Zone...

The lag lately is horrible, and today my launcher keeps crashing - says the patch server is timing out, what did your kids do this time?

Thanks!
  • Options
    izdubar2izdubar2 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Concerning small fleets, let them sublet a base (like stepkids) with a bigger fleet (with a station) or let small fleets band together to enjoy the advantages of a large fleet/station.

I love how every "solution" put forth by someone, seemingly from a mega fleet, is designed specifically to humiliate those in smaller fleets.
    How MMO companies reach for the stars: "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre."
  • Options
    smallrougesmallrouge Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And now... back to work.

Thank you... both for your posted responses and for the fixes put in place today. And now... back to the game :)
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So what about this set of patch notes was so earth shattering that the Fleet Mark improvements couldn't be revealed a little early?

Nearly 3000 angry posts and no-telling how much related bad press could have been avoided very easily.
  • Options
    ya7relya7rel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Interesting attitude. Hopefully, game designers working on this game have also other things in mind. Actually, I'm not interested in working all day long even while playing.
  • Options
    captain84101captain84101 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Now, after the update, I keep getting booted. Server not responding and then poof. You're outta here. Not online for more than a minute. Went from game play sucking to no game play at all. STO is at an end for me I think.
This discussion has been closed.