test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    doalxk wrote: »
    And you really think that the game is worse off than it was pre-season 6? Dilithium wasn't even a useful currency, the extent of level 50 content was running the 6 STFs over and over again for the chance of possibly getting something useful with a bunch of empty fleet actions sitting ignored.

As opposed to the present where endgame consists of grinding the same 6 STFs (unless you're a sucker for punishment and want to run Hive), grind out fleet marks in the same 4 mind numbing queues? Where any and everything is gated behind an ever-increasing dilithium paywall? Where fleet actions get played for that random time you actually get a useful mk XII purple?

Don't even get me started on the fleet holding situation...
  • vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Good morning STO! It is people like this that only see the struck match and not the forest that's ablaze around them. The fleet mark removal was the struck match but the game is burning down around us. The problem isn't merely about fleet marks any longer. Please just pick a few random pages and actually READ THEM before making a comment like this.

We (as Star Trek fans) are watching an IP be abused, a game turned into a horrid grind-fest, and the current owners laughing at us all the way to the bank. Some of us are boycotting this injustice in various ways, I have barely spent a dime on this game since Season 7 hit.

Anyway...Power to the people! Keep fighting the Good Fight!

maybe stick to topic then, im not reading a topic that states its about oranges just to find out its about grenades.

so shove your sarcasm.
    :eek:
    edited February 2013
    vinru821 wrote: »
    maybe stick to topic then, im not reading a topic that states its about oranges just to find out its about grenades.

so shove your sarcasm.

Throwing a hissy fit when someone objects to your condescension is on topic then?
  • vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Throwing a hissy fit when someone objects to your condescension is on topic then?

replying to what they said.

That is all.

Adios.
    :eek:
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    That Cryptic's fast-becoming-cyclic policies of removing in-game currencies and then having to hastily and clumsily patch them back in is eroding what little trust and goodwill a large number of this community have left.

This game won't survive as a costly full-on Asian grinder MMO - and that's exactly where it's headed - all you have to do is look at what Season 7 attempted to remove and what was added as 'content' to see what the roadmap for STO is.

THIS, but with a correction.....

This issue has put one hell of a knot in my belly at late. I see the pattern.

It seems to me, that this game is taking on some of the WORST Asian MMOs have to offer:
    . The full on grind
    . The kompu gacha
    . The global game announcements.
    . The bugs that don't get fixed.
    . The endless stream of content designed to be dilithium sinks.
    . The frequent "adjusting" of in game currencies to encourage more and more grinding.

WITHOUT adding the positives to this game we were promised, or many of us have asked for:
    . A complete Klingon faction
    . More story based content and progression
    . Bug fixes
    . Playable Romulans

This was my first MMO and as a lifetime player, I didn't buy a lifetime membership to a Asian lockbox grindfest, so you can imagine that this is becoming a full on culture shock at times for me.
    I spend a lot more of my time doing things now a days, that are not fun at all.

I think a lot of what Asian MMOs are about, just aren't popular in the U.S. or other countries as they are in Asian countries.
    This might be why SOME countries have cracked down on lock boxes after all the complaints they've gotten.
    But now this is affecting our beloved game, the one I bought a lifetime subscription to.

So here we are, drawing lines with each update, that each new patch here or there crosses.

I really don't place the blame on Cryptic, I place the blame on Perfect World.
    They're going to make their money off of this game, if it kills this game......Unfortunately.

I believe that it is Perfect World, pushing extreme Asian MMO mechanics, (It's what they do, because it's what they know), then leaving Cryptic holding the bag when the player backlash arrives.
    I also believe that it is Cryptic that has listened to our feedback and made adjustments FOR US.
    So Cryptic is the hero here in my opinion.

They are trying to adapt this game, make it an Asian MMO hybrid, perhaps one that will be palatable to western players.
    But they will always have to take direction from our Perfect World overlords.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So Cryptic is the hero here in my opinion.

They are trying to adapt this game, make it an Asian MMO hybrid, perhaps one that will be palatable to western players.
    But they will always have to take direction from our Perfect World overlords.

This is something we'll never know the truth of, I'm inclined to agree that directives from above *may* be imposing selection pressures (to take from evolutionary science) upon Cryptic however I am not convinced at all that Cryptic victims in all this as well.

The truth is perhaps a little more grey than that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • doalxkdoalxk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There isn't actually much new end-game content at all and in fact the 3 ground STF's are pretty much mothballed as very few people now play them.

What they did was to attach rewards to parts of the game that people weren't playing in order to try to get them to play that content. The content itself is still boring but people queue for it now because there is at least some reward for doing it whereas before there simply wasn't.

The reputation systems didn't add much new content they just repackaged old content and bolted on a few extra's in return for awful time-gating and dilithium sinks that have have fundamentally changed the nature of the exchange to the benefit of cryptics bottom line on Zen sales.

There only isn't end game content if you don't play it. There's a ton of new solo content. New Romulus + Nukara, 4 ground missions you can play with boffs in the Romulan reputation tiers, Mine trap, the space tholian missions etc.. They aren't the most efficient for grinding, but its not like you can't possibly play them. They only don't exist if you have the mind-set that the game is a job and you are trying to maximize your benefit rather than playing the content.
  • admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,561 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There only isn't end game content if you don't play it. There's a ton of new solo content. New Romulus + Nukara, 4 ground missions you can play with boffs in the Romulan reputation tiers, Mine trap, the space tholian missions etc.. They aren't the most efficient for grinding, but its not like you can't possibly play them. They only don't exist if you have the mind-set that the game is a job and you are trying to maximize your benefit rather than playing the content.

Doalxk those are no missions they're grind missions. I wanted actual episodes. I have NO interest in the new romulas missions. the only one I really play is the patrol. There's no real story, we have hints of one but no real story.
    edited February 2013
    Doalxk those are no missions they're grind missions. I wanted actual episodes. I have NO interest in the new romulas missions. the only one I really play is the patrol. There's no real story, we have hints of one but no real story.

So then, just do foundry missions if you want story missions. There are some actually good story missions hiding in there.
    edited February 2013
    So then, just do foundry missions if you want story missions. There are some actually good story missions hiding in there.

The existence of UGC doesn't excuse a content drought.
    edited February 2013
    The existence of UGC doesn't excuse a content drought.

And my point is that there isn't a "content drought" there is just a drought of the specific types of content that you want.
    edited February 2013
    And my point is that there isn't a "content drought" there is just a drought of the specific types of content that you want.

Following that logic, the entire year where Cryptic did absolutely nothing prior to the F2P conversion doesn't count because the foundry was active. What kind of impact did that have on STO?

Oh. Right.

Cryptic doesn't get to take credit for work that it's players do.
    edited February 2013

THAT'S NOT WHAT I JOINED THIS GAME FOR. They have an UNFINISHED STORY IN THE GAME. But what do the spend their time on? messing with STF where it wasn't needed and add more dil content but without more dil rewards. and nothing really in content since S5 mionus temperal ambassador. THAT'S IT! I not spending anymore real money on STO till some changes are made. thus they have lost money.

Game, Set, Match
  • bizzarquestionbizzarquestion Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2013

The majority of 'content' added with Season 7 should not be end game/level content. As previously stated in any other MMO those places would be starter/beginner areas. Also, as many people have stated this game was FUN (if not then entertaining) before Season 7. This game has become a job of sorts and barely entertaining if at all. So yes it was better before Season 7.

On a different note:
    sar?casm
    [sahr-kaz-uhm] noun
    1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
    2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark

If anything in my previous post was sarcastic it was because it was read as such. I was actually being quite polite and was in a fairly decent mood.

Anyway...Power to the people! Keep fighting the Good Fight!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Unfortunately, due to the nature of this IP...

For every person who steps up and says, "I'm not spending any more money"...

There's probably a least a hundred others who will..., without the slightest thought.

Even if you manage to get 1000 people to post in this thread, that they will do this...

That still leaves about One Hundred Thousand that won't.

This isn't an up-hill battle...

This is like trying to defend the Alamo with just Davey Crockett, William Travis and James Bowie.

It'll be a valiant fight, but ultimately will be very short lived and accomplish nothing.

I'm not saying you don't have valid points, it's just that too many others simply don't care because they are enjoying the game the way it is...

Until your rally cry has something behind it besides your personal wishes, it's falling on deaf ears.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    Unfortunately, due to the nature of this IP...

For every person who steps up and says, "I'm not spending any more money"...

There's probably a least a hundred others who will..., without the slightest thought.

Even if you manage to get 1000 people to post in this thread, that they will do this...

That still leaves about One Hundred Thousand that won't.

This isn't an up-hill battle...

This is like trying to defend the Alamo with just Davey Crockett, William Travis and James Bowie.

It'll be a valiant fight, but ultimately will be very short lived and accomplish nothing.

I'm not saying you don't have valid points, it's just that too many others simply don't care because they are enjoying the game the way it is...

Until your rally cry has something behind it besides your personal wishes, it's falling on deaf ears.

Challenge accepted!

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war....... :P
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    Fleet Marks will becoming common rewards for "Group Queued Gameplay" whereas Dilithium will be focused on more solo Mission Gameplay.

You plan on killing our fleet's entire evening gameplay session. We have no trouble finding all the marks we need, rather we have a CHRONIC dilithium shortage because dilithium is used for a multitude of different things only one of which is the starbase. And now we can't get dil as a team, rather we have to spend solo time doing it? This means our fleet will be forced to change from spending 2 hours a night being friends and doing stuff together, to spending 2 hours a night doing whatever it is you want us to do to earn dilithium. What's even the point of being in a fleet if there is no encouragement to play together while earning the game's most valuable commodity? To unlock amazing end-game high-tier equipment? Oh, wait, we don't need that gear, because now the bulk of our time is spent replaying episodes with no tactics and no drawback whatsoever to respawning-zerg-assault.

This is a bad idea.
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    daveyny wrote: »

Bug fixes and new content aren't personal wishes; these things benifit all players.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dbcopper wrote: »
    On February 13, Task Force Spectre first Fleet to hit tier 5 Starbase

On February 14, Patch makes changes to reward system
    Increasing Dilithium and Energy Credits rewards
    Decreasing Fleet Marks rewards

This creates a backlash, many players state that Fleet Marks rewards are too low, current reward levels greatly favoring large fleets.

.... (snip) ...

Like a stated in the beginning, this how I saw these events.

As soon as a fleet hit tier 5, they had to slow fleet progression. Of course large fleets need more Dilithium. Players will only give some of their 8,000 per day because there many things that need Dilithium other their fleet. But, there is only one place to spend fleet marks. Fleet change is needed.
    Task Force Spectre has (or had) over 350+ members. Its an extremely large fleet. As a result of building up a massive cache of fleet resources, Task Force Spectre can use them to recruit new members. Task Force Spectre is in a unique position, which allows them to give out recruitment and membership perks. Smaller fleets are unable to recruit new members, for they do not have enough resources available.

Since many players know the fleet bases require intense grinding, they are going to seek out and join a higher tier fleet. Why bother joining a smaller fleet, right?

Here is the kicker... During the production of Task Force Spectre's fleet base, the fleet owner has been hiding garbage under the carpet. Other words, even though their lawn may look greener, the contents underneath it contains extreme controversy. As Task Force Spectre was moving up the ranks, the owner ended up making unpopular choices. Its not as simple as, "We got there in one piece". While their success may be commendable, the journey Task Force Spectre took is filled with controversial twists and turns. How do I know? I intentionally left the fleet due to the controversy. Fleet politics stinks.

Bloated dilithium and fleet marks requirements are only part of the issue. If Cryptic is willing to reduce the fleet cap sizes, while also reducing the resource requirements, the end results would be: (1) stronger bonds between fleet members, (2) less stress and pressure on fleet owners and members, (3) less greedy players, and (4) the rewarding sense of accomplishment.

While those larger fleets look alluring, the reality is that a lot of them have scars. Cryptic should be pushing for the establishment of smaller fleets, for it will help with the serious morale issues created by the system.

I do not blame fleet owners, nor do I blame fleet members.

I blame the excessive grinding, which Cryptic introduced into the game.
  • theincredible33theincredible33 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    Task Force Spectre has over 350+ members. Its an extremely large fleet.

They do? Their YouTube video showed they had less than 70 or so. :confused:

P.S. Anyone know how I can get my original join date and my post count back? :mad:
  • synwrathswifesynwrathswife Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Coming from KDF low tier fleet member who has dropped millions of energy credits into building that fleet with others (35 or less members) to now have ALL projects stalled even after dumping everything I have into them.

This is why,
    1. Due to lack of fleet marks & Dilithium!
    2. Maybe take into account that some starter fleets have no experence with running a fleet or they have no players in said fleet with such knowlodge either.
    3. It would be more effective if you actually either
      A) Increased Dilithium Reward(s) or B) Increase Dilithium Cap

Further more data should show that Cryptic sure knows how to break stuff while saying they are fixing it.....

Anyways I just finally got my KDF chick to level 45 where I can have a fighting chance to earn fleet marks & dil to try to build our fleet. I will still try to level & help build the fleet. We are not accepting defeat.
    Fact Check:

1. Fleets under 25 are going to have a hard time completing projects = by design.

2. We will be adding more Fleet Marks, just not on Foundry missions. We will be making several changes up until the May update in order to bring Fleet Mark earning back in line: including reclassifying the difference between Events and Fleet Actions, Adjusting (increasing/decreasing) Fleet Marks with a focus on giving more Fleet Marks in Fleet Based Events, Possibly merging Fleets, Possibly offering other incentives for Small Fleets.

Hm your "fact 3", clearly makes no sense!
    Data shows fleets need Dilithium more then fleet marks, so you gave them fleet marks!?!
    3. Data shows, most small Fleets are far more starved for Dilithium than they are for Fleet Marks. There is need for both, but more need right now for Dilithium than Fleet Marks - thus today's change. More Fleet Marks are coming - just not in Foundry play.

Yes I know ALL fleets need fleet marks, but your statment is quite illogical. I say give them both & put a cap on foundry ones if that is what you are worried about people abusing.

My advice if it is not really broken don't try to fix it, if you do & it breaks then learn your lesson.

Now do us all a favor Mr - Stop, think, listen & then do.

Do onto others as you wish others to do onto you.

Thank you & good day.
    My two cent's take em or leave em......
    Officer of Fed side - Borg Syndicate: Isulaya (FED Sci) & Isu'laya (ROM Eng) . Admin/Head Officer of KDF side - Blood Empire: A'Nari (KDF Tac). Both have 400+ (usually 500) active fleet members in each of the fleets = I is one busy woman.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    After I read your post, I followed up with some research. When I was a member of their fleet, Task Force Spectre had a solid 350 members. I guess they downsized. It was probably for the best. I don't know when the fleet downsized. I can assure you that it took more than 70 players to complete the base. I left the fleet when they were half way through tier three.
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Were you confusing that with how many people they had online at one time? They're definitely in the 350-500 megafleet range, as are all the fleets with the most starbase XP levels currently.
    Coming from KDF low tier fleet member who has dropped millions of energy credits into building that fleet with others (35 or less members) to now have ALL projects stalled even after dumping everything I have into them.

This is why,
    2. Maybe take into account that some starter fleets have no experence with running a fleet or they have no players in said fleet with such knowlodge either.

Further more data should show that Cryptic sure knows how to break stuff while saying they are fixing it.....

Anyways I just finally got my KDF chick to level 45 where I can have a fighting chance to earn fleet marks & dil to try to build our fleet. I will still try to level & help build the fleet. We are not accepting defeat.

Data shows fleets need Dilithium more then fleet marks, so you gave them fleet marks!?!

Yes I know ALL fleets need fleet marks, but your statment is quite illogical. I say give them both & put a cap on foundry ones if that is what you are worried about people abusing.

Stahl's statement made perfect sense to me -- he said fleets need dilithium more than fleet marks so this patch (Feb 14) would give more dilithium now, but increased fleet marks were also coming (starting Feb 21).

I can speak that the KDF have less activity in the queues than the Fed side, and as such it would be logical to say there are less fleet marks earned in that faction. KDF bases in general are also less progressed than the Federation ones as a result.

Increasing the dilithium cap would be a welcome move for almost all players -- it would only negatively effect players who want cheap zen.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • mistree89mistree89 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2013

That is the number of active players online at the time the video was taken, with all the different time zones coming into play with fleet members scattered across the world it can be hard for any fleet to get them all in place at the same time.

They are normally around the 450ish members mark most of the time.
    edited February 2013
    mistree89 wrote: »
    That is the number of active players online at the time the video was taken, with all the different time zones coming into play with fleet members scattered across the world it can be hard for any fleet to get them all in place at the same time.

They are normally around the 450ish members mark most of the time.
    OMG! Hi sweety! I miss you.

My memory is getting foggy. Were they up to 450? rofl... Its been way too long.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It seems to me, that this game is taking on some of the WORST Asian MMOs have to offer:
    . The full on grind
    . The kompu gacha
    . The global game announcements.
    . The bugs that don't get fixed.
    . The endless stream of content designed to be dilithium sinks.
    . The frequent "adjusting" of in game currencies to encourage more and more grinding.

I don't see much "grinding" since the increaded fleetmarks drops.

There are also an element you forget: updates happen once every 6 months. Which means they better have something lasting 6 month for their average player. The average player is playing, according to cryptic, for 4h sessions 3-4 times a week.

Endgame reputation gear (one good space set, one ground set) costs roughly 120k dilithium. Stahl said the average player refined 3k dil a day. Since it's not much I won't question this and will simply do the math: 120.000/3000 = 40. Which means 40 days to get your endgame gear if you're the average player, playing for 3-4h sessons 3-4 times a week.

Now you may not like the content, and the content can and do get old quickly, especially on the romulan side since most missions are stupidly easy and not rewarding. There's no Romulan STF, and that's an issue if you want to do your rep levels quickly. But I found a way to solve this issue myself: epohhs. I've not played the two romulan space missions (the vault ensnared and the other one) and i'm happy with that.

But if you're the average player 40 days is quite fair, considerint there will be no update before 4 other months. In the meantime you'll be able to achieve your goals, like grinding for EC like mad to buy a galor, getting another starbase tier (which is easily achieavable in small fleets now), and so on.

There is low quality content in season 7 but the list is rather short, and I remember everyone praising this season after the launch:

- the tau dewa sector patrol. Most of it is "spam f" or kill 5/5. Ok it's not great but you can pretty easily xp your romulan rep doing epohhs for 2 minutes of gameplay a day and it will be enough to fill all your projects for a full week when you get one. Really no grinding issue here, just leave your char rotting on new romulus, log in for 2 mins a day if you want to and run your projects filled with no effort, if it's the kind of game you like. :D

- the mission where you have to rescue romulan ships from Tholians. This suck, but I understand there's a need for easy missions.

The sad counterpart is that there is no really challenging mission, unless if you enjoy trying to make 20 random guys with the chat window closed doing the right thing. This isn't fun for those who are good players and not fun either for those who have to be babysitted but that's how it works. But TBH I can live with that mistake, as long as they add one or two challenging STFs with the next reputation systems. At least I hope they will.

WITHOUT adding the positives to this game we were promised, or many of us have asked for:
    . A complete Klingon faction
    . More story based content and progression
    . Bug fixes
    . Playable Romulans

Playable Romulans? It will come just give them time. There's a lot more to do before that, especially the KDF and a bug fixing season.

Story missions? Meh, why not, as long as it's not all what we get. Although, as a foundry author myself, I'd tell you that you have hundreds of story missions waiting for you. And these missions will drop huge amounts of dilithium. :)
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »

Playable Romulans? It will come just give them time. There's a lot more to do before that, especially the KDF and a bug fixing season.

Story missions? Meh, why not, as long as it's not all what we get. Although, as a foundry author myself, I'd tell you that you have hundreds of story missions waiting for you. And these missions will drop huge amounts of dilithium. :)
    Apparently many refuse to classify a foundry mission as content, even though it's no different than a Cryptic mission... It gives you something to do, therefore it is content. The problem is getting it through to people that refuse to listen.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    edited February 2013

This is why,

My advice if it is not really broken don't try to fix it, if you do & it breaks then learn your lesson.

Now do us all a favor Mr - Stop, think, listen & then do.

Do onto others as you wish others to do onto you.

Thank you & good day.

advive my friend. Do Empire defense for KDF. you get near daily cap if you do all 4 and it only takes 2 hours or so
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    advive my friend. Do Empire defense for KDF. you get near daily cap if you do all 4 and it only takes 2 hours or so

With the boosts to dilithium, you can hit the cap well under 2 hours through other means. Though, with the wide array of sources for dilithium this means you should do whatever you find as fun.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • noshufflenoshuffle Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Must admire Thisoverlord his wisdom. They did it again. Nuked the sell button in the dilithium store, under the hangar requisitions, whilst it wasn't in the patch notes and such once again TRIBBLE their player base in a sleazy way.
    OK, if I have to stay here for a while, your cieling ... looks idious.:D
This discussion has been closed.