What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• Options
    smallrougesmallrouge Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Dude! You will have access to the same "shineys", it's just going to take you longer to get there. There is no favoritism towards large Fleets, it's just simple math. More people filling the bucket means the bucket gets filled faster.

I think the issue here is that prior to the change it was a case of the bucket being filled more slowly... now someone shut off the main line. Nearly every person who has spoken about their small fleets has recognized it would take them many times as long to upgrade the base. 2-3 years even. Someone spoke of it as a labor of love. Right now, when those big fleets are already at or very near max Tier and are best equipped in terms of (wo)manpower to overcome the sudden FM reduction, they stand on the hose and staunch the flow and it is the little fleets bringing up the rear that are cut off at a low to mid level Tier.
  • Options
    brucebleobrucebleo Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    otowi wrote: »
    I still can't believe that Cryptic has not answered in this thread. WE need to get this changed ASAP.

I feel this quote fits well in this case:

Yoda: "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

Brandon replied but didn't really answer......so there has been some acknowledgement but nothing of any help.
  • Options
    chorkswaldchorkswald Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    Greetings!

Due to the tuning we?ve done with Season 7, players are now earning more Dilithium than ever

There is something very wrong with your math...................
    "But it ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flyin' is? Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her home."
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Now the 8th most commented news post since the game launched in 2010 :)
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2013

What would it take to make the top Kaz?
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited February 2013

That would be because fo the community anger that is building......i predict a riot in May when they TRIBBLE us over with some new thing......that isn't a Romulan faction.........
    "But it ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flyin' is? Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her home."
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    What would it take to make the top Kaz?

Oh, we won't get there (unless Dan posts something here that outrages the community even more :D) - the most commented archived post was about server downtime during the beta and it had 4,372 posts :)
    chorkswald wrote: »
    That would be because fo the community anger that is building......i predict a riot in May when they TRIBBLE us over with some new thing......that isn't a Romulan faction.........

Not to mention new and (un)interesting ways to squeeze us for more time and/or money :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Oh, we won't get there (unless Dan posts something here that outrages the community even more :D) - the most commented archived post was about server downtime during the beta and it had 4,372 posts :)

Very odd.......I'm sure there were bigger threads then that? Or is that just from the Fed News Network? As I am quite sure there were some stupendously EPIC threads in General discussion on the old forum......It could be my old age and memory failing or maybe some of the threads mysteriously dissapeared? Idk......but 4k posts for downtime during beta just doesn't seem as epic as some of the other threads like I am sure there were some truly epic ones about the borked skill tree back then.....when I say borked I mean more borked than it is now ofc....lol
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Not to mention new and (un)interesting ways to squeeze us for more time and/or money :rolleyes:

^^ That is the number one grip i have with the games new direction......all this money grabing an time gateing.........makeing us wait for over a month when we cuold have done all the rep TRIBBLE in a few days.......
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    brucebleo wrote: »
    Very odd.......I'm sure there were bigger threads then that? Or is that just from the Fed News Network? As I am quite sure there were some stupendously EPIC threads in General discussion on the old forum......It could be my old age and memory failing or maybe some of the threads mysteriously dissapeared? Idk......but 4k posts for downtime during beta just doesn't seem as epic as some of the other threads like I am sure there were some truly epic ones about the borked skill tree back then.....when I say borked I mean more borked than it is now ofc....lol

Well this is just in the news section, but this is where the Dilithium nerf of S7 was debated since most of the comments tailed Stahl's post justifying them.

Also, there's a lot of threads with more views than this one but less comments.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bluedemon67bluedemon67 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    I mean no disrespect, but now there is no reason to do the Foundry missions at all.

STF elites give good dilithium AND Omega marks.
    (And no, don't nerf that. It did not end well last time.)

Also romulan and especially fleet marks are hard to earn.

It would be good to see some "Elite" romulan and fleet events that are relativly short (8-15 minutes ) but still give a good amount of marks.

The only fleet mission that gives relativly good amount of marks for the time invested is a Colony invasion with a very good team.

Also... who ever saw a fleet of 500 members? I have not seen one with over 50 members in a long time.

It may be better to adjust the amount of resources fleet projects cost based on the average fleet sizes, not a theoretical maximum fleet membership limit that is almost totally unheard of.

this is probably the truest statement on here
    but if there are 500 person fleets, they are rare.
    it's more likely that there are more 5 and 10 person fllets than there are any other.
    if i were a betting man, i would have to say that the 5 to 10 person fleets are also the most active fleets. were as a 500 person fleet would be full of AFK members and alt
    they really need to look into how many alts a person would have in those fleets
    i know personally that i have a few alts and they are all in the same fleet
    my fleet roster shows that we have 179 members. after considering how many alts i have i went through my list line for line and counted how many members we rally have based on the amount of alts most members have , and we truely have less than 40 members,
    and some have not played for awhile.
    if these so called 500 hundred person fleets counted their AFK members and their alts and the alts of the players that were active they too would notice that they would have less than 60 or 70 members then theres the fact with most fleets some players join the fleets,
    and never play with the other members or have very little interaction, with that counted in, i would have to say with 500 or 5 members it doesn't matter, these missions are to expensive to continue, and taking away a little releif is a real d*ck move or their part.
    it would be like saying no more asprin, i don't care that you have a headache. LOL
    no stitches for you just put a bandaid on it, throw some more salt in the wound it doesn't hurt enough yet.
  • Options
    bluedemon67bluedemon67 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    make a currency exchange to cover all currencies, examples to include : dilitium , ec , marks all 3, ec, data samples rare and common,common and uncommon rep materials, zen, borg nuero processors, you get the idea everything that is used to buy something,
    which is something else i wanted to address, i thought they were putting in the dilithium and what not back in season 6 and consolidating currencies. to eliminate having succh a cluster F*** of currencies, LOL good job on that one, there are more now than ever before.
  • Options
    animusredwinganimusredwing Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am thinking we need a summary post of the top 10 community suggestions to give to cryptic. This thread is very long and we don't want a potential good idea glossed over because the devs do not read all 150 pages.

Lets stay focused offering constructive ways to fix the problem.

From what I have seen reading the thread I think the anger is not really about the marks. It's more about:

1). Gated/forced content , players wanting more options in the content to get rewards. No one likes having to do same content over and over.

2) Small fleets feeling the squeeze as more and more grinds added to game. Tier 5 is exceedingly feeling out of reach unless you are in a mega fleet.

3) General lack of content.

Some of the suggestions I have seen:

1) let players earn fleet marks in any mission they group with other fleet mates. 1-5x rewards scalable for all game content.

2) cross faction fleet mates being able to group since kdf queues are dead. I.E my kdf and fed fleets can be sister fleets so my team can still play together in fleet events.

3) only have one type of marks' to reduce currencies and allow players to do more varied content. All content gives marks.

4) increase fleet mark rewards in all missions significantly. Make missions with low play numbers have increased rewards.

5) various ideas on scalable fleet requirements such as size of fleet, number of accounts which have been in the fleet at any time, number of contributing members etc.

6) fleet mark exchange from one type to another

7) exchange for all types of inputs. Like bio neutrals, marks etc

If anyone else can help summarize people's ideas I can add to this list and repost.
    REDWING (fed), DOQ TEL SUVWI'S (kdf)
    FED TIER 5 KDF TIER 4 - MAX HOLDINGS
    All welcome, pm @animusrevertendi
    Join us on Teamspeak! Visit our Website!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    An un-elected council is just an oligarchy.

Even an elected council can become an oligarchy. In fact, all forms of government will become oligarchies if the same types of people (or the same person/people) are being constantly elected.

Because of that there may need to be rules to ensure a fair diversity for any forum council election so that a good representation of the player base is presented (like hardcore and casual players, KDF and FED, PvPers and PvEers etc.)
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I find it very amusing that folks seem to think any kind of player council would be anything more than a showpiece to be used to distract the masses, while Cryptic keeps on ignoring whatever it wants to ignore.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I find it very amusing that folks seem to think any kind of player council would be anything more than a showpiece to be used to distract the masses, while Cryptic keeps on ignoring whatever it wants to ignore.

^ this

that is what it was last time.
  • Options
    thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Happy Monday Morning Star Trek Online!

I'll be surprised if anyone from Cryptic comments today as it is a holiday, and, most likely, their still hoping we will all go away by tomorrow. Be patient, and save all your good posts for tomorrow when their doors open and their in the office.

I noticed there was a post over at MMORPG in the General Discussion forum about the problem here, as well as the SWTOR forums. Interesting that the problems facing STO are being compared to SWTOR, the company wants you to play the game on rails running down a narrow route they want you to have to grind to advance your character and starbase...

Anywho, keep posting the great posts, some of the ideas being put forth are awesome. Hope Cryptic is watching...
  • Options
    edited February 2013

So what would you suggest as an alternative?

I think it's important that Cryptic accepts that we don't expect something for nothing and that we do care about them being profitable (and in some cases want to give them our money but can't in good conscience because of the way they choose to treat their customers).

There's plenty of players that cheerlead Cryptic because they're putting time into this game and getting everything without having to pay real money - but those lockbox ships on the Exchange, those Master Keys were paid for with real cash and if players stop buying those things then at some point even the F2P'ers will be pissed off when a billion ECs won't buy them anything they want.

But by the point they realise this, STO will already be deep into its death-spiral and it'll be too late - far too late to reverse that.

I want to see long-standing bugs getting fixed, I want to see major changes to the gameplay and economy of STO discussed and tested thoroughly on Tribble then adjusted according to player feedback before they go live.

And I want to see that Cryptic is a company that respects its customers - only then will I consider reinvesting my time and money in this game, because right now it's clear - they don't deserve either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deathstalker89deathstalker89 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Well said because every player should be able to have his say, and it should be viewed the same has everyone else say. The problem is they dont listen and learn from what they have done in the past that was wrong. Most companies that do great always say the customer is always right.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So what would you suggest as an alternative?

Besides a radical corporate culture shift at Cryptic and PWE? Any kind of communications setup, be it a player council, dedicated staff intermediary, weekly seances or whatever, is predicated on both parties entering into it in good faith. Right now, that's just not happening.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Very, very disappointed by this post.

Being a member of a small fleet (less than 25 members) and being that most of my fleet are now inactive because they hate what the game has become, means I'm the only one playing. I played every day for the last seven months straight and now I'm bored to hell (have played a lot more obviously, but the last seven months has been a continuous stretch with no other gaming). Repeating the same small amount of missions ad nauseam to attain the smallest token amount of fleet marks is beyond ridiculously dull.

That said, I don't want to leave my fleet, or merge with another fleet. We created our fleet as part of our gaming community, which I set up more than 7 years ago now. We have an active community, just not all of them can be bothered with STO any more. I don't want to be part of another fleet, the fleet I am in means something to me, the people who are a part of it (when they are active at least) are my favourite people to play with, they are my friends and family. So because I don't want to be a nameless face among five hundred, I can't reap the rewards of the starbase upgrades.

Not cool.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    sultrymugatosultrymugato Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Regarding the OP... I'm going to take that as a statement that I, as a someone who is part of a small fleet, is not someone you want playing your game. Fair enough I guess.

Though I'd prefer being told that directly and up front on the main page of the site and having that statement backed up by the game allowing fleets to only be formed with 50+ signatures. Then I wouldn't have wasted my time downloading the game in the first place.
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2013
    About the member's council I mentioned in Page 168 and the reply to that: I have been around from January 2010 to December 2012 and I know of STOked and the weekly conference calls with the devs, but that's not what I meant. I mean a council that has a section on the forums where only devs and council members could see, and then they could exchange opinions from community and polls there, etc.

But anyway, I only and mainly posted in this thread to support Olivia. Go Olivia! :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    patarmarkanpatarmarkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've got an idea, how scaling the prices for projects could be done without making it an exploit:
    1. Let the fleet leaders freely set a maximum number of players their fleet can hold.
    Scale the prices with this number.
    2. Create a new project that can increase this number by - say 5 - for - say 50000 dil and 2500 fleet marks - and a completition time of - say 5 days.

This way a small fleet could set itself to like 25 players and again see progress.
    When time comes they could increase their number of players in a slow way and prices rise accordingly. It would prevent big fleets to drop their number of players instantly because it would take a long time to restore to the old number of players after the completition of their goals.

The way it is now my fleet will stop developing after completition of our T3 shipyard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Watch out for my Starship Comparator app at
    http://ssc.levega.de or http://www.stoshipcompare.tk
  • Options
    gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How about using Tribble for what it is meant for instead of electing councils, subcommitees, etc? If instead of posting patches 1 or 2 day's in advance they would run them for...say 2 weeks, the most annoying bugs will be found by the players and feedback on any changes can be considered before going to Holodeck. The system is already in place, all it would require is for the dev's to make use of them in an effective way.
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    merrick1992merrick1992 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've got an idea, how scaling the prices for projects could be done without making it an exploit:
    1. Let the fleet leaders freely set a maximum number of players their fleet can hold.
    Scale the prices with this number.
    2. Create a new project that can increase this number by - say 5 - for - say 50000 dil and 2500 fleet marks - and a completition time of - say 5 days.

This way a small fleet could set itself to like 25 players and again see progress.
    When time comes they could increase their number of players in a slow way and prices rise accordingly. It would prevent big fleets to drop their number of players instantly because it would take a long time to restore to the old number of players after the completition of their goals.

The way it is now my fleet will stop developing after completition of our T3 shipyard.

Nice Idea,but I am willing to bet that the larger fleets would have no problem cutting away the players who don't contribute/play, or contribute little and not bother to reinstate them. We would still be in the same boat.
    I would like to think that these types of discussions should maybe be reserved for step two. Step one would imho be an acknowledgement from cryptic/pwe that they messed up and some sort of olive branch to their customers. Then we can begin the discussions on how to fix said problems. Tbh I would like at the very least to see some kind of replacement for the lost FMs first,but again,thats just me.
    Keep up the fight :)
    STOP THE GRIND: BRING BACK THE FUN!
  • Options
    swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    @dastahl
    With the last patch you guys have done the most idiotic work ever.
    Not only that you have copied the bugs from the test server 1:1 to the holodeck which seriously disturbs any gameplay... no you also have removed the fleet marks from the foundry without any replacement. And now you are telling us that we have to wait till MAY????
    That are 3 months that all our Fleets can not make any progress!
    I just have to say it again.... 3 months no progress... 3 months of demotivated fleet members... 3 months without any replacements for the losses.
    No, even worse... that are 3 months that are practically lost for the fleets.

Now how difficult would have it been to raise the rewards (Fleet Marks) elsewhere as compensation? (even if its just temporarily)
    Thats like changing the number 25 to 50... thats a matter of seconds and you easily could apply it with the next patch.
    You can not tell us it takes 3 months to change the rewards of the (in my eyes totally boring) fleet actions to an acceptable level.
    Seriously... you do interviews with certain magazines or websites and claim there that you like the feedback and cooperation with the players and tell us such a TRIBBLE now.
    -> more than 170 pages of complaints about your changes (not even counting all the threads here on the forum). Shouldnt that make you think a bit?
  • Options
    tjexcimer500tjexcimer500 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In addition to restoring the FM & dilithium amounts to foundry that this "patch"/"improvement" removed/reduced; how about we also restore the proper dilithium costs for DOff Reassignment? 500 for Common Duty Officer Reassignment is insane and since that change I haven't used it at all.

Stop destroying this game with poor decisions based on metrics, please.

I am not a metric, I am a free sentient being!
    There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
    Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
  • Options
    swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Oh an one more thing: Your statistics are wrong
    Do they take into consideration that players can have more chars but actually only play with one? Do they take into consideration the players that are not online everyday to make dilithium? Do they take into consideration that the server has many inactive chars which actually should not be used in your statistics? Do you even consider that new players are not even able to make the full amount of dilithium?

You are for sure calculating with the total amount of chars and the total amount of dilithium per day and that is WRONG. It is a calculation that never can work.

Lets put this straight... I have 6 chars... I only use one of them at a time for the fact that I only have 2 arms and can not split myself. So what does your statistics say about that?
    8000dil/6=1333?
    Face it, your statistics do not reflect the reality on the game. Period!
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Good thing we do the exact opposite with DCUO. Most people want to feel powerful in our research.

Are you claiming to be a SOE/WB Interactive developer?

The "we" in that first sentence could be the "sports team" or "player" version of "we" but that second sentence makes it sound like we now have Sony developers balking at Cryptic. (Or Warner Bros. employees. But WB is to entertainment what Sony is to game publishing.) (And DCUO is a really fun game that seems to have a few good ideas.)
This discussion has been closed.