test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sever not responding/ Lag (1/31/13)

Comments

• nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm getting the "Server not responding" message at EVERY map transition. I can understand lag during special events but Ive never seen this transition lag so consistently encountered.
    server_hamster6.png
  • textanktextank Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just downloaded this game yesterday and I don't know if my problem is related to all that is going on or just some kind of setting I need to switch on my computer. Can anybody help me?

When I try to start the game a white box comes up and say "loading please wait". The Star Trek Online launcher then appears. I can see the Earn Free Starships advertisement and the logon box, however, another small black box comes up on top of this and says "loading". There is no download bar, the program seems to be using no internet or processing power. I can not click on the username or password box because the smaller black loading box is in the way. I am on windows 8.

Anybody know what's up with this? Is there some setting I need to mess with to get it to load?

Thank for any help.
  • mystwraithmystwraith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    severe lag, server not responding up to 3 minutes between map changes, even in the new episode, now the server just crashed on me just before i could complete the new mission for our anniversary ships.
    Nice way to kick of the 3RD year anniversary. Break everything.:(
  • darimunddarimund Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    oh wtf now theres a login queue.... seriously, who do I talk to for a refund for this lifetime sub?
  • tothejournytothejourny Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    xcom43 wrote: »
    First 3 mins i log in i get a server respond and i did not even load in to esd yet.

A lot of people will experience this, it's because Cryptic/PWO haven't had the foresight to upgrade/change the servers, so they're buckling under the weight of thousands of people attempting to log in and play.

Personally, if I had the time, I'd wait for the load to go down (i.e. when european players go to sleep/whatever) for a... smoother experience.
  • nibtishnibtish Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Welcome to login queues, friend.

Yeah, but seriously...

Capacity for a game like this on a day like today. Have they heard of pre-planning? I'm now 20 of 1681! 1681!

Now at 2007 people waiting to play.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    nibtish wrote: »
    Taking the michael!

Position 125 to log on! I have to wait for 125 people to stop playing so I can... what kind of show is this?

I didn't complain when it went down for three days on and off, now I'm not happy.

May I draw your attention to this?

The number keeps rising. Now at 2500+
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • nibtishnibtish Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    May I draw your attention to this?

Yeah, seen it a few times, I do like the sentiment, just want people to plan ahead with reason rather than hope.

I do feel sorry for the now 2649 people in the queue.... 3130...3447... if I were that far back I'd give up.
  • loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    was ingame playing the new mission for the ship talked to drake server not responding took too long logged out logged in for whatever magical reason when i came back loading tholion base the same place i just was patching files which eventually just stopped closed game opened game now in login queue out of 444 of 2500+ not a happy person and even login queue seems to have stopped and given up first time i've ever seen this login queue as well losing hope of ever playing days of no play broken server not even launching launcher :(
    update finally 444 pops up ingame back to mission server not responding one step at a time lol
    update got booked number 2000 something in queue yay
  • ragnar15400ragnar15400 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i am 1036 out of 3224 daaamn lol:):o
  • friyzguyfriyzguy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As I recall, lifetime members don't or should I say (shouldn't) have this occur, seeing as I am one since beta...this is real bul....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • archabacteriaarchabacteria Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, if you think this is bad, I knew this one guy who died and had to wait 3 days before he could respawn.

Jokes aside, I'm not all that bothered. This sort of thing just happens. With this many players logging in at once, anything that can go wrong, will. So I'll just think of other things to do. I've seen it happen before, even if I only just re-subbed recently (thus the fresh join date. I actually joined much closer to the game's release.)
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    usscapital wrote: »
    never had it this bad before all while i have been playing sto

This is standart... Happend during every FE release, apart from 2800...

Thoose who have been here all along will know.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • darkzenithukdarkzenithuk Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    pwefail wrote: »
    this is what happens when you do extra maintenance on a day like today.sorry but 3rd year anniversary is ruined now.

Maintenance should make this kind of problem less likely, not more... unless you're dealing with a bunch of amateurs with no idea what they're doing. :confused:
    Mortem a mundo, ortum republica, imperii ruina.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    friyzguy wrote: »
    As I recall, lifetime members don't or should I say (shouldn't) have this occur, seeing as I am one since beta...this is real bul....

LTS and Gold members have priority login in the event of queues. However, not having to wait in a queue is not guaranteed. They just get to cut to the front of the line.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
    edited January 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    This is standart... Happend during every FE release, apart from 2800...

Thoose who have been here all along will know.

Well this latest fiasco suggests the Dev's didn't use hindsight at all.

Number just dropped to 2800. And went back up to 3200
  • tothejournytothejourny Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Anyone else get the feeling that the servers are about to commit suicide?
  • darkzenithukdarkzenithuk Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Loading between maps is now beyond the 100 second mark. :mad:
    Mortem a mundo, ortum republica, imperii ruina.
  • issvanoraissvanora Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, be glad your in the queue. Stuck on "Cannot log one of your toons out and thus cant connect to the server" ................................ I D/ced 15min ago...
  • sirusleesiruslee Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Have we had any kind of official comment yet?
    edited January 2013
    Anyone else get the feeling that the servers are about to commit suicide?

If Cryptic has any sense, they'll take the servers offline until they can get some more to take the strain. I love how they've toted that there are 2 million individual accounts, but there's now a queue of 4000 people who can't play.
  • fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Loading between maps is now beyond the 100 second mark. :mad:

Yea.. I'm watching a show during the server lags....
  • agentgreasyagentgreasy Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Have you ever been to a concert festival where the space was below the capacity sold?

Have you ever tried to make a cell phone call after a major situation... disaster, celebratory incident, etc?

Planning for critical moments of singularity type events, no matter the situation, is impossible.

Queues exist everywhere. You call the phone company, you get put on hold. You go to a auto shop, and you drop your car off.

If the queues weren't there, the lag wouldn't be a problem: the servers wouldn't be online. You are no more entitled to be online, than any of the other few hundred or thousand people also trying - and the reality is, if you were there last, then you no more deserve to be on there than the person that was waiting there an hour before you. While you may not understand the situation, that does not mean you have to forego understanding towards it.

There is not a game in the world that does not have queues. Be glad you only experienced it here on STO today, while others face it daily on many other games. Cryptic has done a relatively good job of predicting demand over the course of the last 3 years, and overall their track record for handling demand is actually relatively spotless in the grand scheme of things. Blizzard couldn't prevent queues to save their life for the first 4-5 years of Wow's existence... and I won't even get started on the few hours of waiting on some other games.

Whether you pay daily, are a lifer, or just simply a f2p player... the truth is neither one of those titles has any true entitlement to it, other than the granted gift of playing the game - but that gift is entirely dependent on the availability of space for you to play. It may not be the grand solution you want... but its a solution that is and always will be the accepted one. Servers don't grow on trees... neither does bandwidth.
  • krayuskorianiskrayuskorianis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zztoppers wrote: »
    How do you know if it was the game or something else that crashed my video card?
    Is it just coincidence that my graphics card went out right after a STO update?

I don't know the answer to this question. But don't go pretending you know the answer either. Stranger things have happened!!

For the record my card was 8800gt 512mb more then enough for STO.

8800GT 512MB... A GT 520 is better than that. I had a GT 520, I then switched up with a GTX 660.

Your drivers will fail because of the card. This game taxes your card more than you realize.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i3-2100 3.10GHz
    8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM CL9
    ASUS DirectCU II GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5
  • lowqfahlowqfah Member Posts: 0
    edited January 2013
    [QUOTE=agentgreasy;7795711

If the queues weren't there, the lag wouldn't be a problem: the servers wouldn't be online. You are no more entitled to be online, than any of .[/QUOTE]

As a lifitime member who has been sinking cash into this game since, beta....yeah I kinda am entitled to be online.
  • wargibbonwargibbon Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah well the waiting time between loading screens whichever way you look at it is an insult, 3mins plus!!

Let's add the various random disconnections, and factor in that as a lifetime subscriber, i'm supposed to get preferential treatment for logins, in the small print somewhere. been waiting over 15mins now to log back in as the servers are full. So what have i actually paid for here?

Oh yes and i quote, "Your queue position is 905 out of 6707". Thanks for making me feel special. Bloody joke!!
    Founder of the 3rd Foot & Mouth Federation Fleet. Join today!

The Khasi of Kalabar: They will die the death of a thousand cuts!
    Princess Jelhi: Oh! But that's horrible!
    The Khasi of Kalabar: Not at all my little desert flower, the British are used to cuts!
  • agentgreasyagentgreasy Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    If Cryptic has any sense, they'll take the servers offline until they can get some more to take the strain. I love how they've toted that there are 2 million individual accounts, but there's now a queue of 4000 people who can't play.

I don't see that as a viable solution, and actually I consider that a rather selfish one.

You can't play, so those that can get on shouldn't be able to play either? Gameplay isn't broken right now... map movement may be, but I was able to complete the event quest just fine on two characters now... and there are plenty others who are online doing the same.

And, what happens in three days when all the overwhelming shiny traffic has gone down... what does cryptic do then with all the money they put towards 72 hours of peak, and another 6 months of 30% of that?

Turning them off during the whole event would cause more suffering and far more outrage than queues. Doing that, especially after the full downtime that was experienced earlier in the week, would only serve to cause more outrage and even more desertion... and it serves even more to generate a nice rift between those who were playing and those who were waiting to, and then we have a warring player base on top of everything else.

I don't see any of that as a reasonable solution, or an acceptable outcome.
  • orikleinoriklein Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    As others have mentioned in this thread, with the servers just coming up not too long ago, and everyone jumping in to do the same thing, it might seem a little "laggy", or you might get "Server Not Responding" for a few -- give it some times, things will smooth out :) Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

and now i got disconnected mid mission and sitting in the queue for 10 minutes 659 of 8528 :rolleyes:

yepp really smoothing out over here :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I wouldn't worry about queuing to login right now. I've just exited the game. It is totally unplayable. The lag is so bad that when you queue for a STF, it highlights after 30 secs -1min, then a window opens telling you fail to respond in time, and after that the engage window opens informing you that you have 0secs to respond. In that order, so you can't enter. I did this about 10 times.

Basically you can't enter STFs. I tried to do an episode instead and got stuck in warp, i.e blurry stars and planets etc. I just left because you can't do anything but give Doffs missions.

If you are queuing to login you'll be disappointed when you do actually get in.