test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Omega T4 shield regen (Superior Shield Repair)

Comments

• coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Dear Cryptic:

I too miss my blatantly broken shield heal. I demand you restore my godlike shield healing so that I can faceroll PvE even harder and pretend I know what I'm doing in PvP.

It is unfair of you to bring passives in line with how the game works, and you should know better than to fix things that are clearly broken.

Signed,

Me

This is pretty much what I'm seeing.

I'll never understand what all the fuss is about, the whole idea of these passives are that they are little nice to haves, a sprinkle of sugar on top of unlocking the next tier of your reputation. I've never treated them as significant traits absolutely necessary to play the game.

The cynical side of me is also pretty sure that most of the moaning is from tac officers who were able to sit still and shoot things without getting blown up so often, instead of constantly moving with hit & run attacks like they are supposed to. But I digress.

No-ones lost anything, you pay for the reputation and the projects unlocked - not for the passive.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,226 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    coupaholic wrote: »
    No-ones lost anything, you pay for the reputation and the projects unlocked - not for the passive.
    I paid for the passive having already got the gear from the old system. The passive is so low now as to be useless.
  • asteconnasteconn Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I think, personally, that not even cruisers are totally invincible =3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited December 2012
    It really would be a great move on Cryptic's part if they started providing free respecs with each patch. They don't seem to have the resources to provide decent enough quality assurance so the least they could do is make it easier for people to adjust to patch adjustments.

I'm a firm believer in a person's right to shoot him or herself in the foot that that's what they want to do. That being said, anyone running away from this ability because it's suddenly "useless" is demonstrating a clear lack of understanding and I don't know how to make it any more clear.

This passive adds roughly the equivalent of a free emergency power to shields 1 (it adds around 22 points to shield power and shield power adds resistance to your shields) with the added benefit of being active permanently.

It's a better boost to your regeneration rate (although not to your power level) than spending 9 points in the expensive Starship Shield Performance section of your skill tree.

It's like having 2~ extra Science console slots running 2~ Shield Amplifiers for free.
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    How much was Drastically Reduced mean? Does anyone know?
    edited December 2012
    Well, the ability itself had a few problems. The regeneration was supposed to occur only once every 6 seconds (like normal shield regen does) but for some reason it seemed to be regenerating as often as every 1 second.

The next part of the problem was in the way that regeneration rate is shown in the shield tool tips and the defense tab. When the game reports the regen rate it does so with the understanding that the rate is applied to each of the 4 shield facings. As such, the current regen bonus is roughly 1/4th of what it was, which is actually how it was intended. Unfortunately, someone wrote it up wrong, or maybe performed a bad copy and paste job from the Tier 4 Romulan passive and inflated the value.

They called it a drastic reduction, which this was compared to the rather significant mistake that was originally, and unfortunately, released. It might have been better if Cryptic had called it was it was, a correction to one of their mistakes. People got a taste of what it was while broken and liked it. Now they are annoyed and overreacting, calling it worthless. Don't get caught up in the hype.

Cryptic did a good job fixing this problem (although they could have thrown us some free respecs) and it is still a very nice passive.
  • dylantrinidydylantrinidy Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Superior shield regen is now is pointless it does nothing you dont notice it at all its not what you advertised its not what i picked we have been ripped off

Give people a chance to change their choice because you changed the prize and it was not meant to be 250 per facing so stop saying that.

Your telling me it takes all those marks and EC to get 250 regen every 6 seconds nobody would choose that.

someone should do the math on the exact cost to get tier 4 it's not nearly worth the prize

how is it like running 2 shield apms for free? I got tier 4 for free? dont think so
    edited December 2012
    It's not that complicated. For the example regarding the Shield Emitter Amplifier (those are the +% regen Sci Consoles), once you've unlocked this passive it's roughly the equivalent of your ship having it's current console load out PLUS 2 more MK X~ Shield Amplifiers. These are all very good bonus powers/abilities without necessarily being over powered. Anyone running them has an edge over anyone who does not.

I'm certainly not trying to defend the grind or the fact that Cryptic hasn't offered a way to respec because people don't understand the game and feel cheated. If you selected this ability you aren't in the bad shape you think you are.

I can't help but notice that no one is in an uproar of the tier 2 hull recovery passive. If Cryptic hadn't made their little plug-in/copy and paste error then none of this would have been an issue. They should allow a free respec, owning up to their simple mistake, but anyone who pays attention is just going to be jumping back to this one again somewhere down the road.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I cannot believe the ignorance in this thread. No wonder no one can agree on balance issues when such blatantly powerful things are considered 'worthless' and things that are disturbingly overpowered are viewed as 'balanced'.

Here is a simple primer on how combat works, DPS vs Sustain OR Burst vs Buffer.

DPS: Damage per Second
    Base Damage + Bonuses * Crit Mod * Dmg Mod * Wpn Power Mod
    (Note, base damage increases by nearly 10 fold by the end to create real dps)

Sustain: Damage per Second healed/reduced/ignored
    Base Regen + Regen Bonuses + Heals * Resist Mod * Avoidance Mod
    (Note, total regen typically is tripled by mods in the end)

Now when the majority of content can be tanked in a ship with less than 3k sustain per second and you have a single passive ability that doesn't even count doffs, boff abilities, equipment, power level, etc, that offers what it currently offers it is still really freaking good. If you take this ability with a Epower to Shields and your ship explodes you did something wrong. Like kept your shield power setting really low for no reason.

This single passive ability (out of 8 you currently get) can provide nearly a fifth of the required defense for your ship by itself in a standard build. That is really really good.

But Cryptic Should Provide A Free Respec For This Change And Others
  • beerstickmanbeerstickman Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It was Extremely over powered. During that time, i never had to shield heal at all. In stfs, and battle royal elite. Now it is what i would call normal. It still works, and i shield heal less than i did without it. So its still functional and i like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ashilon81ashilon81 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    mrtshead wrote: »
    There are so many things I simply don't understand about this worldview. Like, first, how is it not OBVIOUS that 1000 shield regen is just... stupid? What is the threshold here for obviousness? 2000? 10k? Seriously, the number that was listed was way op, even without the bugged timing. One of the great things about numbers is that they are easy to compare to each other, so sometimes it doesn't take extensive play-testing to see when something is well outside the power curve.

Second, even if you don't believe in math, the idea that the power is being 'nerfed' into uselessness is either hyperbolic, or just plain absurd. Again, this passive is probably making it so your shield regen is three times what it was before. That's not nothing. It's, in fact, about 170 shield healing per second, once you factor in the 4 faces. If you are distributing shields while under fire, you will definitely notice the difference. It still may be the strongest passive power available, even with the 'nerf', which says something about how OP it was before.

Third, the idea that somehow not having this passive as it was 'ruins the game' again seems like something a lunatic might howl between bouts of rocking and crying. See, for almost 3 years the game has run without the power, and, I mean, I dunno, didn't seem ruined. I've done every bit of content in this game without it. You all probably have too, so, how is it possible that not having the passive suddenly makes the game 'too hard', or whatever?

Ultimately, I think if the power had gone live as it is now nobody would have thought to ask for it to be buffed, because it's strong as is. The people complaining now are basically mad that Cryptic 'took back' a bonus they never meant to give us in the first place. All apologies to the people who feel upset by this, but I think you are letting your emotions run away with you, without actually pausing to look at the issue with any kind of perspective.

Oh well. If nothing else, let this be another cautionary tale in the annals of 'why careful in-house playtesting matters'.

Also, for the people demanding a 'refund' of their resources, I would totally support that, as long as you lost any and all items you unlocked, all the dilithium you earned for running the projects, and access to the rep stores etc. If this is the reason you want to 'opt out' of the rep system, be my guest.

Making a statement such as "1k is just insane or stupid or rediculous" without ANY FACTUAL DATA WHATSOEVER is literally ignorant, as in YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE SKILL CAN EVEN DO BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER TESTED NOR WAS IT LIVE IN ITS PROPER FORM, so to say that something is OP just because YOU feel that 945 TOTAL (nowhere does that skill say "each facing") is too much. You nor ANYONE else has ANY idea of this skill was DESIGNED to do. So you're saying that it's OP just because others are saying it. So your entire statement is unfounded and literally ignorant.

And as far as you "Strongest Shield skill available" bs, you can flush that down with the rest of your opinions because this too is also unfounded. When I first selected this skill I knew it was going to be changed, I knew something was wrong, now am I going to lie and say I didnt enjoy the benefits of the bug? Hell no, I loved running into a pack of mobs in mirror event and aoe everything and walk out of it alive, yeah it was fun, but again, I and all my friends knew this would be changed. Then I learned of the bug with the sec/6sec problem and I understood that perfectly and knew they would fix that. What is OUTRAGEOUS here, is the knee jerk reaction by the developers to not even try the skill that people earned and already chose to buy, they decided to not test it for a week, they decided to remove it and call it a nerf. There is LITERALLY no difference from right now and before I chose this skill, no difference at all, even with the Borg nerf they rolled out this week I die the exact same amount of times in stfs, 1-2 with good groups, 2-4 with a bad team, no difference at all. Now explain to me how that is "Superior Shield Regeneration"????? And to cut a skill down 75% from its original value is not a "nerf", its removing a skill. Name ANY skill that YOU would consider loosing 75% of its effectiveness.....you and everyone would simply not use that skill anymore. And that is what they've done here.

Your third paragraph is as irrelevant as you are, being I never said it ruined the game, I said it ruined that SKILL.

So you can take your math and shove it down your throat because no amount mathematical maneuvering will explain why I spent 6 weeks, Millions of of EC, a few hundred thousand Expertise ......and received NO BENEFIT.
    edited December 2012
    Assuming for a moment that the 1000 regen you received in the original version of this power was only activating every 6 seconds. That's 4000 healing total every 6 seconds because, as has been explained already, the regen value is applied to each of the four shield facings.

By contrast, your own shield without this passive, at 125 shield power and depending on your class of ship, is going to regenerate between 800 and 1200 every 6 seconds. That's 3200-4800 healing total every 6 seconds.

After they fixed the problem, you now receive a boost of around 250 to your innate regen rate. This is a significant boost! Applied to all 4 facings that's a total of 1000 recovered every 6 seconds, the value they intended originally.

It was only reduced by 75% because when they released it without testing, they did so in a state that was four times better than intended. On top of that, the power that was supposed to activate every 6 seconds actually activated much more frequently.

I just don't know how much more simply this can be explained. Your anger reflects your inability to comprehend the importance this correction brings for the improvement of this game. It wasn't a knee jerk reaction to reduce the rate, it was a correction to a bit of coding that they made a mistake when releasing.

Your time, money, blood, sweet and tears weren't wasted. It's still a superior passive ability. Granting free respecs in situations like this would be a sign of good faith on Cryptic's part and I still hope they might. Nevertheless, the correction they made is better for the game.
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited December 2012
    If you don't see the benefit from the passive, you hava way more issues with the gameplay then the passive.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ANyone who's been on Tribble since the latest update can now TEST these abilities.

You know, AFTER having already bought one of them and likely making you regret your choice.
  • mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ashilon81 wrote: »
    Making a statement such as "1k is just insane or stupid or rediculous" without ANY FACTUAL DATA WHATSOEVER is literally ignorant, as in YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE SKILL CAN EVEN DO BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER TESTED NOR WAS IT LIVE IN ITS PROPER FORM, so to say that something is OP just because YOU feel that 945 TOTAL (nowhere does that skill say "each facing") is too much. You nor ANYONE else has ANY idea of this skill was DESIGNED to do. So you're saying that it's OP just because others are saying it. So your entire statement is unfounded and literally ignorant.

1) I had the power. I used it. I saw how it worked. It was 1000 shield healing for every facing, every second. It was way, way op. Even 1000 shield healing every 6 seconds is way op, and the fact that you think it's impossible to know that shows that you are either bad at math, or bad at thinking. In any case, just because YOU didn't have any data doesn't mean that the rest of us who used the power didn't, and it certainly doesn't mean the Devs didn't. My point stands - if this number wasn't obviously over-powered, I shudder to think what it would take before you would recognize that you don't always have to do a rigorous playtest to know something is far, far outside the bounds of the rest of the game.

I mean seriously, what did you think this passive power was meant to do? Make you invincible? Even in PVE, that's not game balance, that's just lame. You say we can't know the designed intent - I would contend that we can make some informed assertions. For starters, we can look at the other tier 4 powers, and use those as a guide. It seems likely that the intent was to make the different options a legit choice, not make one option way, way op, and the other option the newb trap. So, given the power of the other Tier 4's, I think we can say that the intent was to be a nice bonus - useful, but not something that fundamentally broke the game. 1000 regen breaks the game. Sorry.

Oh, also, it doesn't say 'each facing' because regen is ALWAYS each facing. And, again, having used the power, I can say that is definitely how it worked/works now.

And as far as you "Strongest Shield skill available" bs, you can flush that down with the rest of your opinions because this too is also unfounded. When I first selected this skill I knew it was going to be changed, I knew something was wrong, now am I going to lie and say I didnt enjoy the benefits of the bug? Hell no, I loved running into a pack of mobs in mirror event and aoe everything and walk out of it alive, yeah it was fun, but again, I and all my friends knew this would be changed. Then I learned of the bug with the sec/6sec problem and I understood that perfectly and knew they would fix that. What is OUTRAGEOUS here, is the knee jerk reaction by the developers to not even try the skill that people earned and already chose to buy, they decided to not test it for a week, they decided to remove it and call it a nerf.

Didn't say it was the best shield power, I said it was still the best passive, and I am flat right about that. You may disagree, but understand that it is like disagreeing with quantum physics. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it's not true. Also, for the umpteenth time - the power was NOT removed, it was brought back into balance.

This is exactly like when MACO shields were reducing all incoming damage TO 10% instead of BY 10%, and some clowns actually got up in arms about how the fix made the shields 'useless', when in point of fact they are still the best in the game, it's just that now there's MAYBE a reason to run others depending on your build. Here, the passive is still the best, but now at least it's not completely stupid to pick the offensive proc if it fits in your build. At 1000 regen there is absolutely no contest - the only people that would pick the offensive proc are people that don't understand the game, or who are deliberately handicapping themselves for RP reasons.
    There is LITERALLY no difference from right now and before I chose this skill, no difference at all, even with the Borg nerf they rolled out this week I die the exact same amount of times in stfs, 1-2 with good groups, 2-4 with a bad team, no difference at all. Now explain to me how that is "Superior Shield Regeneration"????? And to cut a skill down 75% from its original value is not a "nerf", its removing a skill. Name ANY skill that YOU would consider loosing 75% of its effectiveness.....you and everyone would simply not use that skill anymore. And that is what they've done here.

Here we get to the crux of the issue - your play experience. See, here's the thing - I definitely notice a difference between having the power and not. In fact, strangely, I barely notice the difference between where it was before the fix and where it is now, except in PVP, where it no longer takes 3 people and a lucky Tric mine crit to kill me (and trust me, I'm not that good). In PVE, the only things that have killed me since the fix are the things that one-shot you through full shields and hull anyway, because while my shields do sometimes dip a bit now, they basically never, ever, drop. As an added bonus, the extra shield regen means I replaced a shield heal from my boff powers for another copy of HE, so now the nerfed borg plasma is even less of an issue, and I can even help heal others more.

This means that the problem here must necessarily be with your play style or build. Now, I'm not hear to tell you how to play, or anything like that, but since you are stuck with the passive, I'd suggest taking a look at some of the guides on tanking around the forums - you may learn something that you've been overlooking in terms of keeping yourself alive.
    Your third paragraph is as irrelevant as you are, being I never said it ruined the game, I said it ruined that SKILL.

You're right, and I apologize. You did not say that the game was ruined for you, you just used a lot of CAPS to indicate that you were mildly put out about a needed balance change, as well as asserting an opinion about the fix that doesn't hold up under scrutiny. I should not have muddied the water by attempting to preempt an argument that wasn't there, since there was enough 'wrong' in your post already to deal with.
    So you can take your math and shove it down your throat because no amount mathematical maneuvering will explain why I spent 6 weeks, Millions of of EC, a few hundred thousand Expertise ......and received NO BENEFIT.

I'm sorry you feel that way, and like I said, as long as you are willing to give up any/all items you unlocked, all the dilithium you earned from the level up process, any store access you may have unlocked, and all the other passives you earned along the way, I would absolutely be in favor of you getting a 'refund' for your EC and oh-so-important expertise, since clearly there is 'NO BENEFIT' to a power that at least doubles your innate shield regen, and clearly that means you wouldn't have even bothered with the whole rep system in the first place.

If, on the other hand, you are demanding that you get a respec/resource refund AND you get to keep everything, because the power (one you admitted you knew was broken when you picked it) got fixed to be 'merely' great instead of godlike, well...
  • kitsune1977kitsune1977 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Ok I have noticed that the listing was 1050 shield /6s before but now it is listing 12.7 /6. is it just me or is that nerfed into complete oblivion?

Could anyone help shed some light on this issue and why does it keep bouncing between those 2 values?
    Delta Rising: The fall of PvP.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The tooltip stats changes depending if you are looking at it from the ground or from space.

But aside from that, I do think the power might've been cut too much. I understand the previous version was a bit too much, but now I think it's reduced to the point it really has no function.
  • kitsune1977kitsune1977 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ok checked it from space, it says 262.5 now. they reduced it by 75%

For something that takes so long to get it surprises me that they reduce it to a skill that you can't even notice any more. Why did they just not fix the 1 sec proc bug and leave it at 1050?

They always nerf into oblivion. Is it possible for them to actually reduce it a little bit and try it out? Just seems to be a recurring theme with them.

1. Make cool set / power / console / ship / what ever.

2. Players that have it think it is awesome.

3. Players that don't have it whine on forums calling it over powered.

4. Gets nerfed to uselessness / oblivion / pointlessness.

5. People complain.

6. Gets reset to original values.

7. Other people complain again.

8. Gets nerfed to oblivion again.

Try the middle ground people. You do it for the NPCs why not the players?
    Delta Rising: The fall of PvP.
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm surprised they didn't give everyone a free chance to change the T4 power when they nerfed it.

Well, no, not surprised I guess. I pretty much figured they wouldn't, actually... but they should have, and I can think of other MMO devs that wouldn't possibly consider not giving players a chance to change it.

Of course, I can also think of other devs that wouldn't have released such a crucial ability bugged, or at least wouldn't have waited to fix it until after most people already had reached T4.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stevanstormcloakstevanstormcloak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well to be fair the ability before was bugged, where it went about 1050/1sec as it was bugged and was going off every sec, now instead of fixing the problem and seeing how it went, they not only fixed it to a 6 sec time, but also dropped it by about 75% in healing str, so this was a bit overboard.

I do wish they would have just fixed the bug and gave it a chance on tribble for some testing before they reduced they heal amount, and yes I know it did go on tribble before it went live, but when it did it was already on the notes that the build was going to live in 2 days, so they really didnt care what was found out with testing, it was going in its now current form no matter what testing of it said.

I would still pick it as I use a shield regen build and it still helps out, but I do feel like the rug was pulled out from under me a bit, as I picked that just hours before the change was announced as I was unaware that it was even bugged, and had no idea that a change was on the verge of being announced.

And on a side note lol, I had picked the sensor placate power the day before that so with the 12 sec cool down that was added, I got a double nerf :( yay for me....
  • avarseiravarseir Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Now that this skill has been nerfed to oblivion, can we have a name change for the skill from "Superior" Shield Repair to:

1. "Some" Shield Repair
    2. "Small" Shield Repair
    3. "Slight" Shield Repair
    4. "Skimpy" Shield Repair
    5. "Subpar" Shield Repair - Courtesy of hypl
    6. Etc

As it is now, its rather misleading consumers you know :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Actually, I think it's a shield decrease now. My shields are doing worse with it than they were without it.
  • goltzhargoltzhar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    OP is totally right...
  • spacepenguin121spacepenguin121 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So bonus passive shield regen that is larger than base shield regen is somehow not a superior shield repair in your world. :rolleyes:

All I hear in these posts is crying about an obviusly broken Iwin botton being taking away. As a passive it still very good.
    edited December 2012
    So bonus passive shield regen that is larger than base shield regen is somehow not a superior shield repair in your world. :rolleyes:

All I hear in these posts is crying about an obviusly broken Iwin botton being taking away. As a passive it still very good.

Hmm I didn't say it was bad or anything. I'm saying that its misleading because its not exactly "superior". Its average now vs it was before (I'm referring to 1050/6sec one, not the 1050/1sec bug, which i agree should be fixed.. I mean I was tanking borg cubes in a shuttle!).

Deserves a name change to prevent confusion :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • goltzhargoltzhar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Ok.. so you somehow believe that (in my case: 14k shield) 1.9% every 6 sec is superior?
    Well I don't
  • buckgodotbuckgodot Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Nope.. its broken somehow... not sure what they did but my shields are worse off then when I didn't have the the new rep powers.

I have a fully decked out Vesta with 2 shield heals, tactical team, two hull heals, and 3 shared hull/shield heals, and I can't stay alive... hull and shields seem to be dropping like mad.

Fix this.. I'll play again when you do. As it is right now, its unbearable.