Install Arc
Options

Season 7 - Video Problems

Comments

• Options
    fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    dma1986 wrote: »
    Several times a minute? Sounds like it may be a different thing then, hers doesn't sporadically unfreeze to refreeze, it just stays permanently frozen until the PC's restarted.

Ahh - yea... that happens sometimes too - about once every day or two.
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    on gateway laptop major lag and video issuse tholian web does not load right blobs all time azure dose not load right
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Any bets on whether tomorrow's weekly patch will fix this?

Considering I can't get PWE to respond to me at all, I'm doubting it.
  • Options
    aelniheimaelniheim Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Alright, so I've scoured these threads up and down more times than I can count. I've tried everything short of buying a new graphics card. I'm STILL have these same problems. If I knew it'd get anywhere, I'd call PWE myself and go as high up as I could to get this matter dealt with. I'm seriously considering uninstalling and blocking this game from ever appearing on my computer.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Sadly, I was right..... PWE didn't fix the problem.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have moved this topic into a support forum in order to focus Dev attention. This may be merged into a similar thread if it appears to be the same issue.

Please do not "bump" this thread continually. Spamming the forums will not get things done faster and it is against forum rules.

Thanks for your cooperation.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I have moved this topic into a support forum in order to focus Dev attention. This may be merged into a similar thread if it appears to be the same issue.

Please do not "bump" this thread continually. Spamming the forums will not get things done faster and it is against forum rules.

Thanks for your cooperation.
    Hmmmm.... so telling PWE whenever we have problems is "spamming"????

Since this is such a MAJOR issue that is SEVERELY affecting gameplay (and crashing people?s computers,) it would be very appropriate if PWE actually told us what?s going on with status updates. And if they needed more information - or want people to run some test/debug code, I'm sure that several of us would be glad to help out - we're tired of this. I'd really like to play the game again, and I'm sure that the rest of us do too.

I guess I look at this a lot differently than PWE does - I've been managing IT (and support) for over 20 years and I actually want my customers to complain when there's a problem.
  • Options
    captainamericaxcaptainamericax Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I sure hope tomorrow's patch fixes this.

If not, i'll look for another MMO to play, and i'm sure others will do the same.

That's a ton of customers walking away from a problem that could be fixed if looked at.
    And it's kinda clear as to where the problem is from...
    The Season 7 Update.
    "The Easiest Day, was Yesterday"
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    This is way beyond ludicrous - with today's update, STO has crashed my computer THREE TIMES IN LESS THAN AN HOUR!
  • Options
    dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If not, i'll look for another MMO to play, and i'm sure others will do the same.

The missus has already uninstalled STO and gone to Aion (where she's having no graphical issues at all, despite it being more graphically intensive).
  • Options
    brazen1acebrazen1ace Member Posts: 159
    edited December 2012
    Sorry was away for a the week. Umm yeah I noticed that Blacklgiht worked fine on my computer even though it is more intensive. However from reading a little more on the forums it seems like maybe there were problems withing STO for a while that could be gotten around but as soon as PWE tried to update things to use DirectX 11 then things went wonky. Could be wrong but that seems to be the cause of all this. DX11 is just not as forgiving as DX9. And win 7 uses DX11. That command that was supposed to make things a bit better was basically forcing the game to use DX9 as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Chiming in to be a jerk here:

I saw a thread elsewhere that suggested that installing an older Intel driver fixed this. However you all need to realize that this is poor hardware with poor driver support. As time marches on you will run into the same problems with other games and you all put yourselves in this situation as those with real discrete graphics cards do not suffer from this problem. They bought a computer or laptop with the intention to use it to play a video game. Laptops aren't designed for games unless specifically stated so. Multimedia != 3D games.

Look at how often driver updates are released by nVidia and AMD/ATI vs Intel. Also a problem like this with a card from those manufacturers is unthinkable... it plain does not happen, if it were to it would be addressed by those manufacturers quickly. Intel could care less that our game doesn't work with their video card. Don't be upset with developers that games are moving beyond your hardware. How do you expect Cryptic to fix Intel's driver problem? Do you expect them to roll back parts of the game client because you all made a bad purchase decision or that you are trying to run a game on a computer/laptop that has no business running this game? Do you expect Cryptic to code a specific workaround for your hardware? Do you realize that such a fix is some real deep stuff? Need core engine/coders... not some system or content developers... the percentage of guys they have that would have the expertise to do the work needed is probably in the single digits.

/Jerk
  • Options
    tdawg65tdawg65 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    soiduts wrote: »
    The game has worked fine on Intel GPU's for ages, this is a season 7 issue.

The problem I have started when season 7 came out and that's when I try and do any STF's. I mean my system doesn't crash it's just the game that does. I can on occasion get 1 or 2 in before the game crashes. I sent a ticket in and all the TRIBBLE they told me to do didn't work. I uninstalled it and re installed again on steam just to see what would happen and it's the same damn thing that it was doing. I even explained that every other part of the game i can play but the STF's and it's annoying as Hell. And everyone I talked to about my problem says it's my system. I'm not thinking so if I can play the rest of the game but the STF's. I even had the same problem on Tribble thought then it was just the test server. WRONG it's the damn season.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    See while I understand what you are saying. I ran a really old system for years that had a rage3d in it and had about 350MGz processor speed. And I would never even consider running a game like STO on it. But this computer...ok sure it is not the best or anything and there are games out there that I would not even bother to try. However STO does say that a IntelHD should run the game and before Season 7 everything was working fine. So the only thing that changed is the game. I updated my video driver, but that was done during the beta test weekend so I know it is not that at all. No this is clearly a case of Cryptic/PWE TRIBBLE up. And it sounds like it was bad code that was worked around and never fixed. So a lazy TRIBBLE up at that. And no it is not just Intel cards that are effected, AMD/ATI and even NVidia are effected. In different ways sure and all the same way either.

Really I understand that my computer is not capable of running every game out there. But comments like yours don't help in getting this problem fixed. But they don't help, we know already know what you are talking about and you just come off sounding like a ****.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well, since the update, has anyone's problems been solved?

Mine crashed once, but went back to normal and I got an STF done. W00T!

I had to get off and haven't had time to test anymore. However, I have this feeling that the problem was NOT solved sadly.

And I have tried all possible solutions, none helped and this is getting very frustrating. I finally got back into the game, got some friends into it, and I have a ton of stuff I want to do but can't.

And instead of getting help, the Mods have been blaming our systems for the issue. If its our fault, how come this only arose after Season 7? There has to be a fix. Please look for it.

I've ran STO and other games perfectly fine. This is the first major issue i've seen come up on ANY of my games. I have a standard Laptop, a year old, and it isnt meant for gaming, but it handles some games none the less. Star Trek Online being one of them. Well, it was one of them...
  • Options
    aelniheimaelniheim Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I found a minor solution:
    I went to the Intel website and updated my driver, reinstalled the game, turned off the visual themes and DPI scaling, ran it on win 7 compat, and used the -dx9 work around. Everything seems to work fine. My only problem is overheating, which crashes my system.

And I can play games on this laptop that run circles around STO graphics. Obviously if I can play far more intense games on high quality but can't play STO with minimal settings, it's the game rather than the system.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well... since the update, STO on Tribble has crashed on me twice and has crashed my machine three times - all in about an hour's time.

And on Holodeck, STO crashed five times.

Don't ask me how many hundreds of times the screen blacked out and froze and came back.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Chiming in to be a jerk here:

*snipped gobldeygook*

/Jerk

And an ignorant one who can't read, at that. Being as several people have pointed out this is occurring with new/newish laptops capable or running much newer games with MUCH higher basic graphical requirements than STO, which is a relatively low powered game in the current market.

And Cryptic themselves have admitted the issue is a new shader option in Season 7 that conflicts with the recently released new driver. That's on the record for anyone to see if they dig around here. Frankly I actually take them at face value when they say they're on the hook waiting for an answer from Intel about what was, in the end, an unfortunate timing issue of the releases of the patches for STO and Intel. Because there's absolutely no reason to lie, unless they hate money.

But yeah it's because the hardware is magically obsolete, only when playing a single old game. If you believe that, I have some oceanfront property in Arizona you can have for only 10 000 Zen.

These kind of programming conflicts aren't that uncommon in PC gaming. Fixes can take time, though I will say I still would like to know *why* an option to roll back the new offending shader setting can't be instituted in the short term. But people searching for a more mysterious solution to what is going on here simply have too much time on their hands.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    fadmbambam wrote: »
    Well... since the update, STO on Tribble has crashed on me twice and has crashed my machine three times - all in about an hour's time.

And on Holodeck, STO crashed five times.

Don't ask me how many hundreds of times the screen blacked out and froze and came back.

It's hard to keep track across all the different threads this issue has spawned so I apologize if I'm repeating myself here to you, but have you tried this fiddling with the in-game graphic settings: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=431901&page=5

It has stabilized my game for weeks now, though I wouldn't call it "fixed" by any means as I still get flickers, just very rarely. It's a decent band aid, at least. And aside from a couple problem spots like the Defera Invasion Zone, I can play normally.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for that. And yes I do have too much time on my hands.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I am still having problems. I tried in safe mode and it crashed.

I was at DS9 selling stuff and my computer suddenly started going black repeatedly. I had to eventually shut down because of the BSD. :(

Why isn't there even an acknowledgement of this issue by Cryptic? There needs to be a solution made soon, this problem isn't normal and could possibly even break people's computers.

Please Cryptic, don't ignore this, you are losing money here. Please find a fix and address it as a major issue.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    As stated earlier in this thread and now here. They have acknowledged the problem and are working on a fix. The latest patch was supposed to address this but did not. There is a post on page 9 of this thread that I made linking to another thread about this very problem. One of the tech support people is posting there and I am sure they will answer your questions. If you are having this problem contact Tech Support right NOW!! and report it. They will want your .pref file, dxdiag, and a hijackthis log. But please do NOT create multiple support tickets as that will just slow them down more.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    brazen1ace wrote: »
    As stated earlier in this thread and now here. They have acknowledged the problem and are working on a fix. The latest patch was supposed to address this but did not. There is a post on page 9 of this thread that I made linking to another thread about this very problem. One of the tech support people is posting there and I am sure they will answer your questions. If you are having this problem contact Tech Support right NOW!! and report it. They will want your .pref file, dxdiag, and a hijackthis log. But please do NOT create multiple support tickets as that will just slow them down more.

Thanks for sharing man! I'm glad some action is being taken, I'll head over there immediately and fill one out.

Hopefully the fix will be soon. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    It does help to read the entire thread first. But hey I understand because it is a really long one. :p
  • Options
    ark2005ark2005 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I just got back on the game, after a while of not playing it. I was on when season 6 was out and it worked fine then. so, i did my updates today and then went to play and after about 2 minutes of sitting in sector space my game started flikering. then my whole computer locked up, forcing me to reboot it.

I need help!

Computer Specs

Model: HP Pavilion g6

CPU: Intel i3 @ 2.40GHz

Memory (RAM): 4GB

• Options
    edited December 2012
    That sounds a lot like what the rest of us are experiencing. However it would be useful to know what graphics card you have. Also Please!! submit a support ticket on this subject. Also on this thread you should find a command posted by me that will help a little bit in stopping it from doing that. Also turn your game graphics settings all the way down. And if like my card does there is a separate program to set graphics options turn down the 3D settings in that as well. At this time there is no known fix for this issue. I keep hoping though.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Notice how PWE STILL hasn't fixed this problem? After this much time, they might as well come out and admit that that they're refusing to.

I wonder how many times this STO virus has crashed my computer?!?! (Not counting the THOUSANDS of times the system has temporarily frozen and the screen has blanked and crashed the video driver.)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Ummm. It was just Christmas and then New Years. Did you work during either of those??? Well maybe you did if you were unlucky enough to be in retail. But the Devs and most of Tech Support had the holidays off. So yeah not fix yet, because the Devs were not working. And I don't yet know a ETA on the Fix but I am guessing not. I
  • Options
    aesculaepiusaesculaepius Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Since Season 7, my NVidia GForce 640 has had hangs, always with Windows telling me that the display driver stopped responding and has recovered. The latest patch caused people to have skin that flashes black and white. I fear for people who suffer epilepsy say this is definitely within range of the trigger. What's more, I can "fix" the problem by going into troubleshooting and forcing Framerate Stabilizer "On" in Troubleshooting. I have updated to the latest NVidia drivers and that didn't help at all. I do get a strange Direct 3D error at the bottom of my character selection screen after the launcher finishes running, as well. Major NVidia cards that are not overclocked (and that, like most others, had no prior problems running this game) should not experience such issues. This is why most companies have a QA team. I'm all for new content, but I'd much rather Season 8 be delayed three months and all of these "minor" problems addressed in a release.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    brazen1ace wrote: »
    Ummm. It was just Christmas and then New Years. Did you work during either of those??? Well maybe you did if you were unlucky enough to be in retail. But the Devs and most of Tech Support had the holidays off. So yeah not fix yet, because the Devs were not working. And I don't yet know a ETA on the Fix but I am guessing not. I

This has been going on for weeks (Season 7) - it's not new for the holidays.

And I'm an IT Director - I don't get holidays off - that's when we get the things done that require downtime because the users aren't there.
This discussion has been closed.