Install Arc
Options

Season 7 - Video Problems

123457»

Comments

• Options
    brazen1acebrazen1ace Member Posts: 159
    edited January 2013
    Typical for most game companies I think. However i just got corrected that thread is for people who have Intel cards and can't play the game at all apparently. I could have sworn it was about this "location based crashing". I think these are two separate issues that are being confused. If they fix the crashing then it will be easier to tell who has non-compatible cards and who does not.
  • Options
    lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have noticed that these crashes are directly related to the directx version I'm using (for me).

I'm running a fx8150 rig with 2 SLI Nvidia 570's (EVGA Superclocked) and 16gb ram with the corsair h120 cooling the cpu with the asus formula v crosshair mb [winblows 8]. The case is a haf2 (black and blue edition) with a fan in every port including the top.

When I run this game in dx9 mode, I get very few crashes, (usually just went zoneing into esd) but you can't run AA x16 or AA + Bloom. So, when I switch to DX11 and run JUST BLOOM I crash after a few seconds, if the window is maximized, the entire pc locks (I can hear anything in the background but ctl+alt+del renders no results and alt+tab doesn't either) so I essentially have to force restart. If I enable both AA and bloom, well I had a hard time reverting the setting back because the game crashed at character select. And if I enable just AA 16x I get random crashes.

I'm not sure what is wrong, but again, it seems to be centered around the dx11 port.

My nvidia drivers auto-update every week and windows auto-updates every night. This pc also has passed the passmark benchmarks, burnins, superpi, and prime95. There are no issues with this pc whatsoever besides it is starting to get some age on the video cards. All CPU cores stay within normal temp ranges and the video card tems all stay within normal ranges.
    Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while creating a texture.

Technical Details: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED while creating 2D texture size 512x512 (10 mips, RTEX_DXT1), 13.21 GB RAM, 1.09 GB virtual space available
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Interesting. I don't get those options. I can change what version of DirectX I am using but it does not seem to have much effect. And of course no AA for me at all.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Apparently this is all "location based crashing" And may not have anything to do with what card you are using. There is a fix in the works, but they are being very quiet about it. But if you send tech support a ticket about it and be very clear on the problem you are having they are much more helpful then if you don't. Since there is a issue of some Intel cards no longer being compatible they will assume that if you have a Intel card that, that is the problem and not give you the right info.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Apparently the Devs are in the forums asking for more info. I don't have the link yet but I am going to look for it. It would be a good thing if We can give them more info, it will speed up a fix. Just please be polite. You can still be angry..just be nice about it.
  • Options
    hithereyouhithereyou Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    brazen1ace wrote: »
    Apparently the Devs are in the forums asking for more info. I don't have the link yet but I am going to look for it. It would be a good thing if We can give them more info, it will speed up a fix. Just please be polite. You can still be angry..just be nice about it.

Please see this thread and continue discussion here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=7426071&posted=1#post7426071

We've tried internally reproducing the problem on two different pieces of Intel hardware (HD3000 & 4000, IIRC), on two drivers, with no luck. I've made some speculative changes to disable new GPU profiling code that might be causing problems with the new drivers. We've asked Intel for help, but until we can repro the problem we're kind of stuck, especially since it's resetting the display driver, instead of giving us a crash report. Reading through the threads, I noticed some posters discussing an October driver, and when I checked Intel's download driver site, it looked like a different version than what I tested. We're going to give that a shot, but all of our programmers are fully booked. We've been giving CS updates to communicate to the customers, but when there's pages and pages of posts in multiple threads, it can be hard to get the message out. I'll be posting in the thread I've linked above.

Until we can get an idea of what is wrong, and work with Intel to get a fix, rolling back the driver might help, as indicated in the other thread. I noticed there is also a December driver update, and you could try that, but I haven't tested it.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.