test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Whats this I hear about a fleetpocalyse?

Comments

• Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It's clear the last few posters may not have gotten the gist of the OP. It was summed up as several fleets being wiped out in short order order the other day, apparently at no fault of the leader or anyone from the fleet:
    adrianasrx wrote: »
    The person who nuked the fleets was able to give himself GM privileges and invite themselves to the fleet without members inviting him. He then proceeded to wipe out the fleet. From the information I have heard he did this out of PURE SPITE. This happened to at least 15 different fleets, happened over the period of about an hour. There is NO alternate explanation PERIOD. So please stop trying make it look like anything else other than what it is. I know for a fact that LOD was one of the fleets this happened to, also apparently Sad Pandas got hit
    Or in one user's advice: hide yo fleet, hide yo starbase
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    piwright42piwright42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Bad mojo man.
    If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
    They taste the same.
  • Options
    adrianasrxadrianasrx Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    linyive wrote: »
    How I see it...

(1) Smaller fleets are burning out. Twenty to fifty people are trying to do what four hundred people are doing. Smaller fleets cannot make it past the heavy resource requirements of tier two and three.

(2) Since some of the tier three and four fleets are giving away provisions, the smaller fleets are having a hard time staying in tact. Smaller fleets cannot compete with the recruitment perks, which the higher tier fleets are able to give away.

(3) As a result of trying to tackle everything at once, (fleet bases, reputation system, and embassies), smaller fleets are feeling discouraged. People are giving up.

(4) Recruitment pool has dwindled. Since the majority of the players already belong to fleets, smaller fleets are having a hard time recruiting new members.

(5) Cost of limited time featured projects are a morale killer. Projects such as these should be sold for 100,000 dilithium, for they are meant to boost a fleet's morale and social capabilities.

(6) Fleet politics and greed.

While Cryptic is considering the resource requirement issue, they are not stepping back to see the whole picture.

My solution...

(1) Reduce the resource requirements across the board (fleet bases and embassies), so that a fleet of a hundred players can reach tier five.

(2) Reduce the recruitment/size cap of fleets. Instead of allowing them to become four hundred members strong, lower the maximum fleet size to between 150 and 200 members.

Why does Cryptic only want a handful of fleets to exist?

While these are valid sentiments, this thread is about an individual with a revenge motive, trashing fleets because of HIS bad attitude necessitating his removal from the fleet.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    While these are valid sentiments, this thread is about an individual with a revenge motive, trashing fleets because of HIS bad attitude necessitating his removal from the fleet.
    Oh, okay. No problem. I should have read a little bit more.

My apology.

I removed the post.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So it is a bug or someone exploiting one, wouldn't be the first. Will be interesting how long it will take cryptic to fully restore them and solve the problem, i estimate 5 month to identify the problem...another 2 to solve it.:D
    And when it is solved i'm interested what got broken in return.
    never the less, pretty sure all will be restored in a few days.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Just found out about this but due to a patch I can't log in to check my fleets. I hope everything is OK.
    If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
    They taste the same.
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If you've bought gold from sites, consider yourself potentially exploited.

I would do a wipe and reinstall along with a password change of STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I've never bought gold.

I heard this happened to the Pandas. I have a very hard time imagining one of them buying gold.

I think something else is the issue.
    They taste the same.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Freaking thread merge.
    They taste the same.
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Damn... Pandas lost their entire fleet?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    snoge00f wrote: »
    Damn... Pandas lost their entire fleet?

Only a rumor that I can't log in to verify.
    They taste the same.
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    snoge00f wrote: »
    Why do I get the impression that some of these fleet leaders are buying gold from shady sites.

Those gold sites are a scam that use keyloggers to fish for info.

They'll steal your info from your main game and others you play to sell to other douchebags. There's a reason you get warned about using those sites.

It has to be something like that, I mean people can get desperate enough to attempt to buy gold, especially after S7.

Two things, no three:

1. Leaders attempted to buy gold

2. Hijacked due to key loggers or Member Hostile take over

3. (Hard one to believe) - Mysterious Dev going Rogue over at Cryptic Studios :P
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    outlaw51825outlaw51825 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    stark2k wrote: »
    It has to be something like that, I mean people can get desperate enough to attempt to buy gold, especially after S7.

Two things, no three:

3. (Hard one to believe) - Mysterious Dev going Rogue over at Cryptic Studios :P

4. Player finding exploit to endow himself with GM powers and going to town on fleets. This is not unthinkable and has happened in the past with dreadful results. Not in this game but others. There is a fifth possiblity however...god help us if thats the case.

5. Goonswarm Trolling. Dont believe me? Trust me they've done it on larger scales than this.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Damn Goonswarm. If they have infiltrated STO then space-born MMOs are doomed.

STAY IN EVE GOONSWARM!!

... ahem ...

Fleets also need to do their due diligence: don;t throw out Fleet invites to just anyone. Actively recruit by chatting up the player. Know your fleetmates, don't just get bodies in the Fleet in order to advance the Starbase.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2012
    Hi Captains,

To the best of my knowledge a Fleet cannot simply "disappear". Someone in the Fleet has to be the correct rank and that rank has to have the correct permissions (set by the Leader or Officers depending on who has access to even make permission changes within the Fleet) in order to remove Fleet members.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, please do file a GM ticket as the information is still important for an investigation.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    maliusnightmaliusnight Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It wasn't he said she said silliness. The person who nuked the fleets was able to give himself GM privileges and invite themselves to the fleet without members inviting him. He then proceeded to wipe out the fleet. From the information I have heard he did this out of PURE SPITE. This happened to at least 15 different fleets, happened over the period of about an hour. There is NO alternate explanation PERIOD. So please stop trying make it look like anything else other than what it is. I know for a fact that LOD was one of the fleets this happened to, also apparently Sad Pandas got hit

That considerably more specific. Now we have gone from fleet disappearing to fleets being target as to the pandas I happen to have one few still active on my friends list I'll ask him, we will know pretty quick if this for real.

If this is the result of hacking I'm sure something can be done to undo it. If this is something else then we can get answers. Ether way everyone should double check their account security.
  • Options
    ussenterpisezussenterpisez Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Pandas are still here :o most are taking a break though.
    I'm keeping things going until their invertible return.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Pandas are still here :o most are taking a break though.
    I'm keeping things going until their invertible return.

I must announce that the Ponycor took over control of the Pandas. Please stay tight until further notice!
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • Options
    bwemobwemo Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I must announce that the Ponycor took over control of the Pandas. Please stay tight until further notice!

The new ponycor comes in the shape of a purple raven.
  • Options
    warlordsobwarlordsob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    stark2k wrote: »

Two things, no three:

Brandflake got a pink slip and on his last day screwed the pve community? Could be...
  • Options
    maliusnightmaliusnight Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is False. Move along.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2012
    warlordsob wrote: »
    Brandflake got a pink slip and on his last day screwed the pve community? Could be...

Except that I've been posting on the forums and frontpage news posts all day :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Weeeellll, obviously we have a hacker here in STO. He's climbing in yo transparent aluminum viewports, he's snatching yo fleeties up, trying to haxxor so you need to hide yo fleet, hide yo starbase, and hide yo dil cause they haxing everybody out here.
    stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited December 2012
    redricky wrote: »
    Weeeellll, obviously we have a hacker here in STO. He's climbing in yo transparent aluminum viewports, he's snatching yo fleeties up, trying to haxxor so you need to hide yo fleet, hide yo starbase, and hide yo dil cause they haxing everybody out here.

Bwahahahahahaha! :D
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    redricky wrote: »

LMFAO!!!!!! :eek:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    rheatitanrheatitan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Except that I've been posting on the forums and frontpage news posts all day :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

how do we know your the real Branflakes and not some Kellogg knock off :P
  • Options
    qutothqutoth Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Recently I've had a small issue with fleet info taking 5-15seconds to load, so for that period of time the fleet screen is blank. Also have seen this only once, where I had to relog an alt to get fleet info to display. This started within the last two weeks.

90% of the time fleet info appears within 500ms of the fleet dialog opening(most of the time it appears as soon as the dialog is opened). I have alot of alts and switch often in same account and different accounts.

Path to 2409: Martok made the definitive statement of the Klingon Empire's view of the Romulan Star Empire in 2388. "
    The Klingons will offer no treaty, no aid, and no hand that is not holding a blade"
  • Options
    outlaw51825outlaw51825 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Damn Goonswarm. If they have infiltrated STO then space-born MMOs are doomed.

STAY IN EVE GOONSWARM!!

... ahem ...

Fleets also need to do their due diligence: don;t throw out Fleet invites to just anyone. Actively recruit by chatting up the player. Know your fleetmates, don't just get bodies in the Fleet in order to advance the Starbase.

I get your fear, Goonswarm has done on larger scales than this. They tore apart BoB from the inside an operation that took years. It has to be considered at least a possiblity because this is something they'd do.
  • Options
    thepleasuredomethepleasuredome Member Posts: 308
    edited December 2012
    I get your fear, Goonswarm has done on larger scales than this. They tore apart BoB from the inside an operation that took years. It has to be considered at least a possiblity because this is something they'd do.

It is less likely a Goonswarm attack (known here as Starfleet Dental) than it is a Cryptic database bug that hasn't been found yet.
    Arawn & Ihasa
    OP *is* the new balance, whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
    Season 7 - Exodus, available online. U buy nao!
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/738221-monetizing-perfect-world-s-latest-update
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]