test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Whats this I hear about a fleetpocalyse?

Comments

• Options
    alphastarfighteralphastarfighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I can also confirm about LOD fleet (I was in it) disappearing in the sense that myself and all other LOD members that I know or chatted with have been removed from the fleet and the fleet cannot be found by searching for it in-game. I cannot confirm or deny if it has affected any other fleets and also from browsing this thread do not see anything else about other fleets. No idea how this happened to LOD and I am leaving it to the leaders to contact GMs. I do not have a position of rank at this point so will not submit duplicate GM tickets.
  • Options
    sonicshowersonicshower Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    More than likely if your fleet was mysteriously disbanded, it was an inside job.
    sh2sxc7.gif
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    More than likely if your fleet was mysteriously disbanded, it was an inside job.

Due to the lack of any other fleet coming forward over the last few days, I'd say that only LOD was affected and there may have been some miscommunication between "80+ fleets" and "80+ fleet members" being lost.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    slayvus7slayvus7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    All Goons care about is upsetting other gamers who take games too seriously. Roleplayers, for example. A Goon wants to make you scream and rage and cry because it makes him laugh to see your anger and despair and broken dreams.

The great thing about STO is that the Goons can only abuse you if you let them. You have to pay attention to them or allow them into your fleet in order for them to affect your gameplay experience at all.

But if you've never before encountered players who cause pain for the pure animalistic joy of doing so, then do not under any circumstances play Eve Online.

Sadly, what we goons care about and what some people don't seem to understand is that there is a line in role playing that shouldn't be crossed. Sadly though, this lined is crossed all the time in Drozana.

What is this line you ask? P.E.R.P.s - Public Erotic Role Players

There are people in YOUR game who are role playing erotic scenes in PUBLIC spaces. Sure in an RP universe the scum of Star Trek converse in Drozana, but P.E.R.P'ing is not acceptable in a game that can be accessed by a 12 year old.

Sure we get kicks from messing with other people, but we don't break PWE ToS or STO ToS. In fact, we are such a public "figure head" in the STO universe that we are watched so closely by all players. So when one member does do something against PWE/STO ToS they get a GM notification and possible suspension.

So how about instead of us policing the game that we enjoy playing too, that you help us police it as well?
    Encrypted Data Chips to Dil = 105.8 Dil = 0.668 Zen or $0.00668 | EDCs to Energy Credits = 25,000 EC | Master Key = 125 Zen or 1,4m EC | 190 EDCs = 126.9 Zen | 70 EDCs = 1,4m EC
    You've picked up a good chunk of EDCs, Salvage and Tech, all of which you have no use for.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=6177451&postcount=310
  • Options
    vesolcvesolc Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    slayvus7 wrote: »
    Sadly, what we goons care about and what some people don't seem to understand is that there is a line in role playing that shouldn't be crossed. Sadly though, this lined is crossed all the time in Drozana.

What is this line you ask? P.E.R.P.s - Public Erotic Role Players

There are people in YOUR game who are role playing erotic scenes in PUBLIC spaces. Sure in an RP universe the scum of Star Trek converse in Drozana, but P.E.R.P'ing is not acceptable in a game that can be accessed by a 12 year old.

ESRB: T
    Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older.

I think you should be more worried of your kids finding your stash of Hooters and german TRIBBLE:D
  • Options
    slayvus7slayvus7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    vesolc wrote: »
    ESRB: T
    Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older.

I think you should be more worried of your kids finding your stash of Hooters and german TRIBBLE:D

I was 13 when I played Grand Theft Auto Vice City, parents bought it for me. 14 when I played Manhunt, again parents bought it for me. ESRB ratings are only enforced at retail level for purchasing.

Teen Rating - Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.

Mature Rating - Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

Notice that sexual content is only in 17+ rating.
    Encrypted Data Chips to Dil = 105.8 Dil = 0.668 Zen or $0.00668 | EDCs to Energy Credits = 25,000 EC | Master Key = 125 Zen or 1,4m EC | 190 EDCs = 126.9 Zen | 70 EDCs = 1,4m EC
    You've picked up a good chunk of EDCs, Salvage and Tech, all of which you have no use for.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=6177451&postcount=310
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    slayvus7 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the only twelve year olds playing the game of of the mentally twelve variety.
    <3
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I received a reply from a fleetie stating that 15 fleets were disbanded and others damaged by a hacker and that Cryptic is working to resolve it. I've asked him to post here and gave him a link to the thread.
    kerainkerain Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    we posted about it made a ticket and requested gm help.

you want to know the response we got, it wasn't good and it was all strictly from perfect world and not cryptic.

we were told that permission settings SHOULD have prevented these people from joining and being able to access the bank much less promote themselves in able to do what was done. they are basically placing blame on the victims here. :eek: they say we let them in and what was done was a result of our negligence.

even though we could prove that they TRIBBLE their way in, and have screenshots to do so. they basically are blaming us for the incident. they don't even admit that it was a hack attempt, so I think its best to just rite things off, they aren't listening anyway. sorry to sound negative but that is all the truth.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So what happend, the people stole everything from the bank and disbanded the fleet ?
  • Options
    tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Our fleet pretty much evaporated except for a small core, as soon as the NDA was lifted from closed beta. We had been building since the first Cryptic forums went up. We've added a few here and there, and a couple have come back, but for the most part, there are rarely more than three of us on at any given time. My KDF captain is in an unaffiliated fleet, but it's small too, and seems to be growing daily. I don't think either fleets will be taking part in the fleetpocalypse.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • Options
    solaris5150bsolaris5150b Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I noticed in this game that fleet is just a name. No one does mission ops together. There sems to be no activity to bring fleet members together.
    I tried to organize an event today. We'd run missions as a flreet from 4pm until whenever....no one in fleet even said anything. There were 18 out of 146 online
  • Options
    jim940jim940 Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    stark2k wrote: »
    CRYPTIC should impliment a system in which the creator of a fleet gets an automatic mail when a fellow co-leader tries to demote the original leader in an attempt at a hostile take over.

or

The original leader should be allowed to have a personal password to remain as co-leader, just in case there is an attempt at a hostile take over - of course the 30 day inactivity policy should remain in effect for an instant demotion.

Why? Responsibility of the Leader to maintain order in his fleet, if they give their other members full access to the fleet, it is his choice and his responsibility if it comes back to bite him and the fleet in the butt at a future date.

Personal Responsibility, its a hard topic to understand in today's world, but please try.
    You have to pay attention to them or allow them into your fleet in order for them to affect your gameplay experience at all.

Not just that, you have to give someone the permissions in the bank, and in the fleet to really do any damage. Making it the FLEET's fault if something happens.
    kerain wrote: »
    even though we could prove that they TRIBBLE their way in, and have screenshots to do so.

Post them here publicly or PM me them, cause until you do I'm going to say your flat out lying.

Jim
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I noticed in this game that fleet is just a name. No one does mission ops together. There sems to be no activity to bring fleet members together.
    I tried to organize an event today. We'd run missions as a flreet from 4pm until whenever....no one in fleet even said anything. There were 18 out of 146 online

You should join a smaller fleet, with members who are up for playing a match together. Instead of being just a number.

Jim
  • Options
    macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    vestereng wrote: »
    So what happend, the people stole everything from the bank and disbanded the fleet ?

Sounds to me like the leader got TRIBBLE and the hacker disbanded the fleet, instead of taking responsibility himself, he made it sound like it was cryptic's fault.
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Dentals are unlikely to be behind this

firstly its not their usual MO
    secondly this seems to require MUCH more patience than a dental usually has
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    jim940 wrote: »
    Why? Responsibility of the Leader to maintain order in his fleet, if they give their other members full access to the fleet, it is his choice and his responsibility if it comes back to bite him and the fleet in the butt at a future date.

Personal Responsibility, its a hard topic to understand in today's world, but please try.

Not just that, you have to give someone the permissions in the bank, and in the fleet to really do any damage. Making it the FLEET's fault if something happens.

Post them here publicly or PM me them, cause until you do I'm going to say your flat out lying.

Jim
    That's really rude. Exactly who are you again? Where does your insight into what happened come from?

The reported bug is that fleet members were able to do things that their permissions should have prevented.

Have you been here long? Do you really thing Cryptic's code is tight enough that this is outside the realm of possibility? Have you been here to watch them deny bugs? Did you watch players repro a bug to a dev on the STOked podcast, after that dev had insisted that it was impossible and wasn't happening? I did, and if somebody insists that there's a problem with the Cryptic's code and they refuse to take responsibility, I'm actually more inclined to believe that Cryptic is the one refusing to take "Personal Responsibility" because they have done the same in the past.

Calling somebody a liar on a subject which you have no firsthand knowledge of basically makes you come across as an internet tough guy, "Jim."
    sollvax wrote: »
    Dentals are unlikely to be behind this

firstly its not their usual MO
    secondly this seems to require MUCH more patience than a dental usually has
    Holy TRIBBLE, twice in one day I'm /agreed. Scary.
    edited December 2012
    Don't worry it has to happen statistically
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Still nothing....still believe someone screwed up and let someone in and got screwed, and now claiming it was a hack.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    stark2k wrote: »
    Is there evidence of Fed toons being able to read KDF Fleet chat?

I mean I have both fed and KDF toons, and never experienced inter-faction chat. I did however; experienced Fed Fleet chats from other fleets that I have an alt in.

It's the new change character tool that came with season seven. Say character A is in Fleet A, and character B is in Fleet B. If I use the change character tool from character A, when I go to use character b I will be able to see both Fleet A and Fleet B's fleet chat.

I haven't tested this, but what if someone is leader of one fleet, yet has a low ranking character in another fleet? Suppose they were able to retain the fleet leader permissions on the other character. If someone was capable of doing this, they would be able to kick every person in the other fleet...
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    redricky wrote: »
    That's really rude. Exactly who are you again? Where does your insight into what happened come from?

Someone who has played MMO's long enough into the dark ages of text based games to know that these things don't "just happen" to a single fleet. These things happen due to the way the fleet is set up and allowed to run itself.
    The reported bug is that fleet members were able to do things that their permissions should have prevented.

Like I told kerain prove it. So far this thread just reeks of typical whining players who screwed up and are blaming the game for it.

If the screen shots are that convincing, and if they are real, well post them.
    Calling somebody a liar on a subject which you have no firsthand knowledge of basically makes you come across as an internet tough guy, "Jim."

Posting a whole bunch of useless lets all hate the company posts without real proof makes the people doing that appear to be lying whiners who are upset they screwed up. Simple statement of facts, no need to be a internet tough guy to point it out.

Jim
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Jim

Lay off theres a good chap
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Not saying this is what happened to anybody involved in this thread, because I haven't the foggiest idea what happened and if anything I have *LESS* access to inside information since becoming a forum moderator than I had before, but:

Anybody in the industry will tell you that most "TRIBBLE" accounts get that way because the owner shares the password with someone else. Either with a "leveling service" (that probably steals your credit card information too), or with a spouse, child, or friend, or just by leaving the dang thing on a post-it note by their computer.

This is how a lot of bank cleanouts happen, as well; somebody leaves the milk out or makes a mess in the fridge, and their roommate gets back at them through their fleet bank, or they pay somebody to level their character, and that somebody helps themselves to the bank.

A lot of them, of course, are the person getting caught doing something he shouldn't have, and throwing up a decoy "OMG I BEEN TRIBBLE" to keep from getting gkicked. My own son did it once, got us both kicked out of a WoW guild. I grounded his butt from MMOs for a month.

I'm pretty sure he's not in the OP's fleet. :)
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    Not saying this is what happened to anybody involved in this thread, because I haven't the foggiest idea what happened and if anything I have *LESS* access to inside information since becoming a forum moderator than I had before, but:

Anybody in the industry will tell you that most "TRIBBLE" accounts get that way because the owner shares the password with someone else. Either with a "leveling service" (that probably steals your credit card information too), or with a spouse, child, or friend, or just by leaving the dang thing on a post-it note by their computer.

This is how a lot of bank cleanouts happen, as well; somebody leaves the milk out or makes a mess in the fridge, and their roommate gets back at them through their fleet bank, or they pay somebody to level their character, and that somebody helps themselves to the bank.

A lot of them, of course, are the person getting caught doing something he shouldn't have, and throwing up a decoy "OMG I BEEN TRIBBLE" to keep from getting gkicked. My own son did it once, got us both kicked out of a WoW guild. I grounded his butt from MMOs for a month.

I'm pretty sure he's not in the OP's fleet. :)

I was TRIBBLE four times in WoW. Pretty sure only two were keyloggers. One was brute force and one came from a brute force on my e-mail account. Never shared my password.

I'd be reluctant to pretend it didn't happen.
  • Options
    skaldraskaldra Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I dont see the evidence that this has happened to as many fleets as some of you are claiming. I truly believe someone is exaggerating because they promoted the wrong person in the fleet and dont want to admit that they screwed up. Most likely its someone up to no good that is taking advantage of people with the wrong fleet settings or who trust the wrong person. It is COMPLETELY the leaders fault for promoting the wrong person and whoever took the fleet and kicked everyone wasnt hacking anything. Not saying what they did is acceptable but im beginning to think this thread is a hoax or there is a leader out there who doesnt want to admit they screwed up. If you dont understand the fleet permissions or randomly invite sketchy people into your fleet, then you shouldnt have a fleet. Stop complaining and accept that you made a bad choice. Cryptic needs to be dealing with the AFK'ers in STFs and the people using hacks in PVP, not following false leads to people who are just taking advantage of the game dynamics and permissions already in place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    INQUISITOR CRUSHER
    Director of Marketing
    ELITE FORCES COMMAND
  • Options
    bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited January 2013
    It's the new change character tool that came with season seven. Say character A is in Fleet A, and character B is in Fleet B. If I use the change character tool from character A, when I go to use character b I will be able to see both Fleet A and Fleet B's fleet chat.

I haven't tested this, but what if someone is leader of one fleet, yet has a low ranking character in another fleet? Suppose they were able to retain the fleet leader permissions on the other character. If someone was capable of doing this, they would be able to kick every person in the other fleet...

This could be worth investigating actually.

I've seen the fleet chat thing happen several times, but I'm an officer on both Fed and KDF side for our fleets. I might get myself temporarily demoted to test this later.

On the subject of fleets being disbanded, this did happen to our fleet not so long ago, but that was due to one member moving to our new fleet from our old fleet and, basically, worming her way into our trust. She had been a long term member of the old fleet, and we had no reason to distrust her... right up until she kicked everyone, emptied the fleet bank and disbanded the fleet.

The bit that gets me is that it seems to have been something personal directed at our fleet leader, but she felt it necessary to delete our entire fleet, TRIBBLE over everyone in the fleet, all of whom considered her a friend.

I mean, our new fleet had been active for around 2-3 weeks. We had gone out of our way to grind whatever we needed for fleet projects (as opposed to playing the game how we wanted to), and in those 2-3 weeks, we had a tier 1 Embassy, almost tier 2 Starbase, and had completed all 13 of the limited time projects. That's 2.6 million Dilithium just for the limited time projects, all wasted because one person decided they had a grudge against our fleet leader.

This just goes to show that, even long term members of your fleet can sometimes not be trusted. If someone can do this to a fleet they have been with (albeit under a different name and with a few extra members) for at least a year, then how are we meant to defend against something like this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited January 2013
    So it's all down to trust.

Exactly. We believed we could trust this person, and they majorly screwed us over. What we have done is stripped our command team down to three people now - myself, our fleet leader, and one other, who has been with us for a long time, and has repeatedly shown himself to be dedicated to our new fleet. Around half of the 2.6million dilithium that was lost came directly from him.

That is a pretty good indication that he can be trusted, since he is putting so much time and energy into grinding for our fleet projects, but at the same time, there is always a chance, however unlikely, that he will go crazy one day and decide that deleting the fleet is a great idea.

This is why there needs to be a way around it. Perhaps requiring multiple leaders in the fleet to agree before it is deleted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    in my opinion there should be only one supreme leader in the fleet
    and that is the creator of the fleet and that creator should be the only
    one to disband a fleet.. and if a fleet is over tier 2 it should be voted to
    be disbanded by all the leaders of that fleet. and if the fleet vote succeeded
    it still should be ok-ed by the supreme leader/creator.

I skim thru the post didnt read every post.
    sorry if i am off topic.