test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Whats this I hear about a fleetpocalyse?

ozewaozewa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
A few different fleets I know say that their fleets have completely disappeared. Anybody having these issues?
President of the Amnian Illithid Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC). Please spread the word that the term "Mind Flayer" is a derogatory term to our kind.
Post edited by ozewa on

Comments

• Options
    curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ozewa wrote: »
    A few different fleets I know say that their fleets have completely disappeared. Anybody having these issues?

Not much of that in our group. Some left early on for fleets that were further along with the starbase system, but many of them returned to our ranks. We did not get the customary influx of returning players that a season update normally sees, but I attribute that to the rather cold reception of much of the community to season 7.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    No, I mean like... 4 fleets I know members of say their fleets just disappeared tonight. Like... all of it. Not like their members leaving or logging off, like the fleet completely disappeared.
    President of the Amnian Illithid Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC). Please spread the word that the term "Mind Flayer" is a derogatory term to our kind.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    No, I mean like... 4 fleets I know members of say their fleets just disappeared tonight. Like... all of it. Not like their members leaving or logging off, like the fleet completely disappeared.

Then my doomsday device works! Seriously though, I hadn't heard of that one yet. I will keep an eye out for the total destruction of my fleet at random. If this can be confirmed, that really sucks. I hope they weren't far along on their starbase before that happened.
  • Options
    luxchristianluxchristian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Have your friends tried to contact the other fleet members?
  • Options
    kerainkerain Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    yeah man just happened to ours.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There only one response to this news:

"Ruh-roh!"
    <3
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    kerain wrote: »
    yeah man just happened to ours.

I have never hoped harder that someone was having a public joke. Are there any details you can share? Anything you can remember prior to this happening may help others avoid it.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This could be devastating ... :eek:
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Dammit Q We don't have time for your games
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »
    This could be devastating ... :eek:

They have audit logs so a rollback should probably be expected if things keep up.

Also, name your fleet if this is happening to you so that support can track the issue.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    if its a joke its not in the least bit funny.

our fleet was L.O.D. fleet. we had a nearly tier four fleet at the tiem i wasnt even logged in at the time. so best i can say is its getting worse as the night goes on.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I just went and made a backup of my fleet's roster (yay pidgin for making that easy). Thanks for bringing this to the forum. You may have saved my guys a lot of trouble with this forewarning.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    IF that's true, this could be really, REALLY, REALLY bad.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Please file a GM report if this has happened to your fleet so they can investigate this issue.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    adrianasrxadrianasrx Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    All I got to say is that whoever is nuking the fleets should not ONLY be permenantly banned from the game but should be drawn and quartered and then hanged until dead
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2012
    Please file a GM report if this has happened to your fleet so they can investigate this issue.

Yes, please do! I'm not sure what the GM team might be able to do, as the creators of the fleet set permissions and give them to the individuals they place in certain ranks, but the information is still important.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Yes, please do! I'm not sure what the GM team might be able to do, as the creators of the fleet set permissions and give them to the individuals they place in certain ranks, but the information is still important.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

This would explain a large number of players being kicked, but I'd be very surprised if they could "Remove from Fleet" people of higher rank -- which is the only (known) way the fleet itself could cease to exist (zero members). I strongly suspect there is either a hack or exploit of some kind, which is definitely in violation of the TOS and EULA. And as ozewa mentioned, this happened to numerous fleets in the last day -- it seems very unlikely that multiple fleet leaders decided to disband their rosters all on the same day.

I sincerely hope those fleets affected can get restored.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It could also be where someone decided they no longer wanted to host a fleet they owned and kicked everyone out and chose the option to hide recruitment where it looks like it is gone. Its a way people used to before F2P get people to hoard lots of things in a fleet and then either set it to hide from people or renamed the fleet altogether. Is one of the reasons I don't trust people too much in this game because the person running the first fleet I was in had a scam doing something like this. I think those people went to greener pastures though haven't seen them online in a long time.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This.... does not sound good....
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    It could also be where someone decided they no longer wanted to host a fleet they owned and kicked everyone out and chose the option to hide recruitment where it looks like it is gone. Its a way people used to before F2P get people to hoard lots of things in a fleet and then either set it to hide from people or renamed the fleet altogether. Is one of the reasons I don't trust people too much in this game because the person running the first fleet I was in had a scam doing something like this. I think those people went to greener pastures though haven't seen them online in a long time.

dude i understand your trying to rationalize the observati0ons, but one fleet maybe your conclusion mite be valid but this it happening across MULTIPLE, several fleets at one time. also if that was the case then why would some of those fleet leaders be trying to dispute, gm report and get their fleet restored. I'm sorry it just doesn't add up, rationality doesn't apply here.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Probably a good thing if your Fleet Leader isn't prone to ragequtting and a fan of scorched earth policy.

I don't use the Fleet Bank, deposits or withdrawals.

Just consider anything you put there as gone, that way you'll not be disappointed when it get taken. Keep all the important stuff in your own bank.
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited December 2012

That is indeed ackward. I know that recently since the game has gone F2P, there has been an influx of account hacking, Gold Selling, and the old but not new "Bank Jacking." It may well be that these Fleets you are referring to have been hijacked by someone in their own roster.

Technically the Fleet is still there, it has NOT disappeared, if not so, this forum would have been on fire like the City of Rome.

It is highly possible they fell victim to a hostile take over and all members have been excommunicated from the Fleet roster.

This is not the first time a hostile take over has happened.

CRYPTIC should impliment a system in which the creator of a fleet gets an automatic mail when a fellow co-leader tries to demote the original leader in an attempt at a hostile take over.

or

The original leader should be allowed to have a personal password to remain as co-leader, just in case there is an attempt at a hostile take over - of course the 30 day inactivity policy should remain in effect for an instant demotion.

Besides, many Fleets have now a democratic leadership where two or more players run the Fleet - I really think CRYPTIC should try to place a failsafe system of some type.

Giving the actual Founder or player that first created the Fleet to bypass any hostile take overs.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    maliusnightmaliusnight Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This way to unspecific and unsupported, sounds like he said she said silliness to me. The database exists, look'em up it say if they removed from the fleet, then it will be in there. Could be many explanations as to how such things could happen, and if software bug then the Devs can fix it.
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Maybe my search-fu has failed me, but I'm only seeing one single solitary thread about fleets getting hit with an expose/exploit combo. L.O.D. is gone, just gone, and it's not the only one. Given Cryptic's track record it would behoove you to prepare by documenting any information that could be used to restore your fleet should you log in to find your fleet tab darkened.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/31394022.jpg
    edited December 2012
    ozewa, can you give us information on which fleets you know have been affected?

I'd definitely like to know what's going on, because there's only four possibilities that come to mind:

1) It's a hoax and everything is pretty much okay. This seems unlikely since one of my fleetmates was able to personally verify this happened to one of the fleets -- if ozewa can provide verification this happened to other fleets (especially by them posting in this thread), this would rule out #1.
    2) It's a coincidence and several fleet leaders just happened to boot everyone around the same time period. This doesn't make much sense given that those fleet leaders would be ostracized from their community and would not really have much to gain from it.
    3) Someone is hacking multiple fleet leader's accounts. This also seems quite unlikely given the Account Guard that Cryptic utilizes to prevent unauthorized computers from getting access to characters, unless said email address was also TRIBBLE.
    4) Someone is using an exploit in the game to bypass the fleet permission settings and kick out members that they would not be allowed to otherwise. But if this was the case, why has it not happened more since news of it broke out?

I'm hoping Cryptic and the community can get to the bottom of this.
  • Options
    adrianasrxadrianasrx Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It wasn't he said she said silliness. The person who nuked the fleets was able to give himself GM privileges and invite themselves to the fleet without members inviting him. He then proceeded to wipe out the fleet. From the information I have heard he did this out of PURE SPITE. This happened to at least 15 different fleets, happened over the period of about an hour. There is NO alternate explanation PERIOD. So please stop trying make it look like anything else other than what it is. I know for a fact that LOD was one of the fleets this happened to, also apparently Sad Pandas got hit
  • Options
    outlaw51825outlaw51825 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    adrianasrx wrote: »
    It wasn't he said she said silliness. The person who nuked the fleets was able to give himself GM privileges and invite themselves to the fleet without members inviting him. He then proceeded to wipe out the fleet. From the information I have heard he did this out of PURE SPITE. This happened to at least 15 different fleets, happened over the period of about an hour. There is NO alternate explanation PERIOD. So please stop trying make it look like anything else other than what it is. I know for a fact that LOD was one of the fleets this happened to, also apparently Sad Pandas got hit

....Whoa. Holy...i hope this doesnt turn out to be the case...makes me glad i'm not in a fleet currently.
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Probably a good thing if your Fleet Leader isn't prone to ragequtting and a fan of scorched earth policy.

I don't use the Fleet Bank, deposits or withdrawals.

Just consider anything you put there as gone, that way you'll not be disappointed when it get taken. Keep all the important stuff in your own bank.

Thats why i put it in the fleet bank, so other fleet-members will take it.
    If no-one takes it, will just fill-up the fleet bank.
    adrianasrx wrote: »

This is bad, fix this Cryptic. Fleets have a star-base and a star-base is a lot of money to lose.
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Why do I get the impression that some of these fleet leaders are buying gold from shady sites.

Those gold sites are a scam that use keyloggers to fish for info.

They'll steal your info from your main game and others you play to sell to other douchebags. There's a reason you get warned about using those sites.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Removed my post due to a misunderstanding of topic.