test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Whats this I hear about a fleetpocalyse?

Comments

• Options
    startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ozewa wrote: »
    No, I mean like... 4 fleets I know members of say their fleets just disappeared tonight. Like... all of it. Not like their members leaving or logging off, like the fleet completely disappeared.

Perhaps the fleet leaders just closed the fleet?
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Perhaps the fleet leaders just closed the fleet?

Multiple fleets (4-15 according to the accounts in this thread) all having their leaders shutting it down within an hour period? I think someone who was using a GM exploit is more likely.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    We're all going to die!! http://youtu.be/5ilGGP9BDZs?t=20s:D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm starting to think this is all a hoax, Fleets just don't disappear into the void.

It is the Bermuda Triangle of STO, LMAO :D
    Hi Captains,

To the best of my knowledge a Fleet cannot simply "disappear". Someone in the Fleet has to be the correct rank and that rank has to have the correct permissions (set by the Leader or Officers depending on who has access to even make permission changes within the Fleet) in order to remove Fleet members.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, please do file a GM ticket as the information is still important for an investigation.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

This
    redricky wrote: »
    Weeeellll, obviously we have a hacker here in STO. He's climbing in yo transparent aluminum viewports, he's snatching yo fleeties up, trying to haxxor so you need to hide yo fleet, hide yo starbase, and hide yo dil cause they haxing everybody out here.

and this, LMAO
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    For real? Are you telling me there are people in this game that would deliberately set out to destroy other's enjoyment to the point of losing everything they have worked hard to gain? If so why would you/they do that?

Simple, to GRIEF.

Truth be told people become major Online @ssholes for the sake of it. It is typical behavior of the online gaming community.

It is akin to AFKers in STFs

Fleet Jackers

hackers etc...

I once belonged to the System Lords aka [SL] in the old Freelancers days - we were literally Pirates, raiding and taxing - It upsetted many players when we blew up their shipments and it forced the community to create a Police force to stop us. It was very fun.

BUT - the level that Fleets or Guild like Starfleet Dental play, is beyond the ethical - it is downright cruel and griefing to the max.

they want to be Bad boys, or Bad Girls but to the point of going beyond or overboard.

The System Lords frowned upon hacking or even guild Jacking etc... we stuck with our motto - Pirates to the Bone, but with a level of respect within the game limits.

NOTE: System Lord tactics do not work in a game like STO, simply because Freelancer was literally an open world sand box, akin to Eve Online (Can't wait for Star Citizen - Thank you Chris Roberts).

Piracy in STO is akin to criminal intent.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    harrymonkleyharrymonkley Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I get the fleet chat from opposite faction toons, but no access to the correct fleet chat for the toon I am logged in on since S7 started. I'm thinking that if this also applies to fleet permissions it would allow someone with high rank in one fleet to run amok regardless of their status by using alts in opposite faction fleets.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I get the fleet chat from opposite faction toons, but no access to the correct fleet chat for the toon I am logged in on since S7 started. I'm thinking that if this also applies to fleet permissions it would allow someone with high rank in one fleet to run amok regardless of their status by using alts in opposite faction fleets.

Is there evidence of Fed toons being able to read KDF Fleet chat?

I mean I have both fed and KDF toons, and never experienced inter-faction chat. I did however; experienced Fed Fleet chats from other fleets that I have an alt in.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    harrymonkleyharrymonkley Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    stark2k wrote: »
    Is there evidence of Fed toons being able to read KDF Fleet chat?

I mean I have both fed and KDF toons, and never experienced inter-faction chat. I did however; experienced Fed Fleet chats from other fleets that I have an alt in.

As I said, when logged on to my KDF toons I get the fleet chat from the fleet my FED toons are in, and the reverse when logged onto my FED toons. S7 has broken the chat system for me, with team and match chat being often unusable, and any channel subscriptions being applied globally to all toons. This could be caused by corrupted config clientside (which might explain why everyone isn't affected) or a serverside issue, but either way it indicates that there is a potential security loophole.

If you are experiencing cross fleet chat, it is probably the same bug, as I have only two toons per faction, and they are both in the same fleet, I can't comment on same faction cross-fleet chat issues.
  • Options
    strahn794strahn794 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    All Goons care about is upsetting other gamers who take games too seriously. Roleplayers, for example. A Goon wants to make you scream and rage and cry because it makes him laugh to see your anger and despair and broken dreams.

The great thing about STO is that the Goons can only abuse you if you let them. You have to pay attention to them or allow them into your fleet in order for them to affect your gameplay experience at all.

But if you've never before encountered players who cause pain for the pure animalistic joy of doing so, then do not under any circumstances play Eve Online.

Ya, roleplaying in a roleplaying game is taking things way to far. They need to be taught a lesson
  • Options
    spacepenguin121spacepenguin121 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The fleet chat issue only happens when using change character and occurs whenever you switch to a character in a different fleet, faction doesn't seem to matter. Logging out and then back in clears the bug, so it would seem to be related to the change character feature not properly clearing all fleet related data. As a chat bug its a minor annoyance that is easily cleared, but if other fleet related permissions are not being cleared properly, it would be a major issue. If change character is impacting more than just fleet chat, it should be disabled until fixed.
    edited December 2012
    Can we get some independant verification of this issue?

List of fleets that have disappeared
    List of verified members that confirm disappearance
    Time/date of first fleet disappearing and latest fleet to disappear

All I've been able to gather from this thread and my discussions in-game:
    L.O.D. is "gone" - according to friend of fleetmate.
    Sad Pandas is fine - personally verified with member of said fleet.

I keep hearing multiple fleets are affected, but what are those fleets? If such an event happened, why are none of those people writing about it on the forum?
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This whole.."Fleets are disappearing"...I don't know about you guys...but this makes a great Trek Episode. ;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    luxchristianluxchristian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    All I've been able to gather from this thread and my discussions in-game:
    L.O.D. is "gone" - according to friend of fleetmate.
    Sad Pandas is fine - personally verified with member of said fleet.

I keep hearing multiple fleets are affected, but what are those fleets? If such an event happened, why are none of those people writing about it on the forum?

Because it wasn't any fleetpocalype, bugs, hacker etc but just a coincidence that two rather large fleets were dispended the same day.

Now imagine than one person had two accounts and both had a char with was the chef of a fleet.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Because it wasn't any fleetpocalype, bugs, hacker etc but just a coincidence that two rather large fleets were dispended the same day.

Now imagine than one person had two accounts and both had a char with was the chef of a fleet.

And I'd be very ready to believe that except it doesn't match up with either the OP (ozewa) who knew of 4 fleets that were disbanded on same day or another (adrianasrx) who said it was a user who was able to have GM powers, join fleets without invite, and disband them -- for a whopping 15 fleets hit in an hour's time. If true, that would not be a coincidence.
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I am beginning not to buy this thread at all. 15 fleets, that's hundreds of people and they are not posting here.

I've taken precautions and it has at least highlighted the cross faction fleet chat issue and miss-directed emails but that seems it unless we hear from any one else.

I have to agree this seems more and more of a hoax, where are all the people to complain about their hard earned work suddenly vanishing? I mean a huge amount of people were on as of yesterday for Q, and the only gripe i heard for 10 hours straight was...OMG YOU CHEATERS IN COMPETITIVE RACE AAAARG....nothing about DUDE WHERES MY FLEET?
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    stark2k wrote: »
    Simple, to GRIEF.

Truth be told people become major Online @ssholes for the sake of it. It is typical behavior of the online gaming community.

It is akin to AFKers in STFs

Fleet Jackers

hackers etc...

While in STO griefing is just that: pure griefing; in EVE it's kind of the point of the game. The whole "end game" content is a giant kill or be killed cutthroat world. That is the intent of the developers.
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I logged in to my fed who was in L.O.D. and had in game mail stating "At 3 pm STO was TRIBBLE. 80+ fleets disbanded. Expect an invitation back to L.O.D. when we get this fixed."

That is literally all I know. I haven't heard of any other disappearing fleets other than what has been mentioned in this thread.

Based on this, I'd say it's time to panic. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean somebody isn't trying to kill me. As a great man said, "Keep fear alive."

I'd say we're dealing with more of a fleetsquatch at this point. Fleetless STOnin are the footprints that prove it walks upright, so just in case it is never caught I'm going to have to deal with reality and cover my bases.
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I logged in to my fed who was in L.O.D. and had in game mail stating "At 3 pm STO was TRIBBLE. 80+ fleets disbanded. Expect an invitation back to L.O.D. when we get this fixed."

That is literally all I know. I haven't heard of any other disappearing fleets other than what has been mentioned in this thread.

Based on this, I'd say it's time to panic. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean somebody isn't trying to kill me. As a great man said, "Keep fear alive."

I'd say we're dealing with more of a fleetsquatch at this point. Fleetless STOnin are the footprints that prove it walks upright, so just in case it is never caught I'm going to have to deal with reality and cover my bases.

I've been a fleetsquatch denier all of my life, but now, things are changing. I no longer walk in dark alleys alone. I never stay out after dark. Things will never be the same.....
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Wow, that would really be something. From the 4, to 15, to 80+ fleets disbanded -- though the only one that I've been able to get positive verification of, is, L.O.D. Can you send a response to that mail and have that player post more information. I'd like to track down if this was really more widespread than just L.O.D.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It is less likely a Goonswarm attack (known here as Starfleet Dental) than it is a Cryptic database bug that hasn't been found yet.

It could also be that the Fleet Officer that gave the person(s) who performed said malicious acts either doesn't want to admit he gave said person the rights to do what he did, or worse didn't realize that the Fleet Rank he granted the person had those rights.

unfortunately, anything's possible. :(
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    maliusnightmaliusnight Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I went though this topic with out Internal security section, checked with all the Fleet leaders I know, I records showed similar topics being raise 3 or 4 times concerning hacking with various levels of evidence for and against, reportedly nothing was ever shown to true. Following the confirmation that Pandas is around and our inability to turn up anyone else who had anything more then 2 degrees of connection. The conclusion was reached that this was false Alarm. I do hope anyone who has lost their fleet, contacts the GM for assistance.
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Wow, that would really be something. From the 4, to 15, to 80+ fleets disbanded -- though the only one that I've been able to get positive verification of, is, L.O.D. Can you send a response to that mail and have that player post more information. I'd like to track down if this was really more widespread than just L.O.D.
    I will do so. I never bookmarked the external website and used the fleet info tab to get there the couple of times I needed to, does anybody from L.O.D. have a link?

Also, fleetsquatch.