test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skyrocketing Costs and Gear Nerfing Threaten to Force Me Out

Comments

• xsharpexxsharpex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    xsharpex wrote: »
    This recent move by PWE/Cryptic has certainly left a bitter, disgusting taste in the mouths of many players who have been here since the early days. To fully understand why we feel this way, you have to look as the situation through our perspective.

We were the foundation for which this game has built itself upon. Without us, there would have been no game.

We paid for this game. Literally. I remember people buying multiple copies of the retail boxed version of STO for the special items that they came with. Each vendor had a special item you can claim through the c-store. People bought multiple copies @ $50 a piece (regular) or $90 a piece (collector's), on top of a subscription (monthly or LTS). In the very beginning, when there was only a promise of a Star Trek game, we made this commitment and have stuck with it ever since. Free to play is only 9 months old. There were no gold and silver players before that. We were all subscribers. We paid to play the game you enjoy for free today. Without the initial investment and the ongoing commitment of many other players, Atari then Cryptic then PWE wouldn't have had the resources to continue let alone expand the game to where it is today.

We dedicated ourselves to this game. We invested countless hours running missions and exploring the game, all the while identifying issues, bugs and other areas that needed improvement so the game could become better. People usually get paid for their time to do this. We did it for them and we paid them for the pleasure of doing it for them. We paid to play this game, which upon release was barebones. We paid to play this incomplete game and had to time after time report issues for the dev team to fix. We provided feedback and suggestions for the dev teams time and time again. We dedicated ourselves to a to this dream of a game; the very game that many of you ***** and moan about, yet play for free. Sure there will always be bugs. There will always be something to fix. But we put in the time and the money so we could make this a better, more enjoyable experience.

We played the game when there was no game. Imagine leveling a klingon from level 1-40 with nothing except PVP. Yup, we did it. We created our own fun. In the long droughts where there was no new content, we endured it. Many paid to endure it. The game simply did not stop during that year when there was nothing to do. People still played and they paid to do so. We've seen the content come and go. We beta tested this content for you, so you wouldn't have to deal with all the bugs and issues that we had to deal with. We spent time developing our characters. We didn't reach level 50 in one weekend. Levels took time to achieve. It took patience and dedication. We actually had to do all the sector block missions in addition to the story line to make rank. We played everything, because frankly, we had to in order to progress.

All in all, it is about the Vet Rewards and it isn't about the Vet Rewards. The reason why most of us are mad is because of how we're being treated. These Vet Rewards were something that made us special. Something that differentiated us from all the rest. It was their way of saying thank you to us vets for all the reasons listed above and more. Sure, the rewards themselves aren't the issue. It's the lack of acknowledgement, recognition and overall thanks from both the company and the players that we've seen. Some of us are mad, but most of us are just simply hurt. We just want to hold onto something that makes us special. We're not entitled brats with selfish motives. We have a legitimate reason to feel hurt and betrayed.

We truly loved this game. We truly love the franchise. Why else would we have stuck around for so long? For many of us, this game has been our work in progress. It has been our second homes and our sanctuary. So excuse us as we fume while the house we built is being foreclosed on and our sanctuary pillaged.

and...
    xsharpex wrote: »
    how long will it last if they keep pissing off core groups of people?

to name a few:
    1. the entire klingon faction (all 16% of us) - neglected time and time again
    2. people who love pvp - broken, boring and what's the point?
    3. longtime subscribers - lack of recognition and acknowledgement
    4. short term subscribers - why even bother anymore?

whose next on the list?
    1. small fleets - t5 and beyond starbases unobtainable
    2. large fleets - cstore purchasable t5 and beyond starbases
    3. dedicated pvers - increased wait for significant, playable and fun content
    4. lock box ship owners - account bound and purchasable from cstore
    5. fans - with holding ships/features that you love; or worse off butchering it
    6. the rest of you - when the game finally shuts down because it's no longer profitable

I love this game too much to quit. I know that there are quite a few of you out there that are on the edge. do as you must, but i'd urge you to stay for the sheer pleasure of seeing the other shoe drop. You know it's going to happen.

Those who will cry out will cry out for all the same reasons. Those who applaud it will either benefit from it or will be that indifferent about it. however, everyone has a breaking point and when your button gets pushed, you then will know how it felt. it's called karma. either way, dstahl and his chinese overlords are laughing their way to the bank.

so feel free to not care today. feel free to fan the flames. i just hope that when the tables are turned, that you will not become as jaded as i am towards the company and the community that i am. i also hope that people will be more compassionate towards your plight than they have ours.

my 2 slips of gold pressed latinum
    - @sharpe-

welcome to the next demographic of people that becomes needlessly shafted for no good reason. thanks for playing.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No, it really isn't. Here's the numbers you're not seeing:

A full set of Mk XII Gear costs 3000 Marks, 15 Elite Marks, and ~100,000 Dilithium.

Attaining Tier 5 in Omega Rep costs 1,686 Marks, 0 Elite Marks, and ~80,000 Dilithium.

People that have already obtained a full set of the Mk XII gear of their choosing no longer have the need to spend the currency listed in above. In fact, along the way to obtaining that gear, it's incredibly likely that they've picked up a good chunk of EDCs, Salvage and Tech, all of which they have no use for (because they already have their desired gear), and will all be converted into Omega Marks which now have a purpose for them, should they choose to use them.

Their extra 'reward' is the fact that the system will cost them less. Considering the prices involved here, that's not something to be ignored.

And WHAT are Elite Marks now?
    +1 currency,
    and it sounds rare / hard to get

by now i wouldn't put it past you guys to sell those in the C-Store...

//edit:

ah ok found the answer in another dev tracker quote just now
    you get 1 Elite Mark for running 1 Elite STFs
    got it.

hmm 15 sounds rather low in that case.
    make it 50 per XII Set item and that will sound about right compared to the old *random* system.
    keep in mind it doesn't even matter if you play space or ground now... so no 50x CGE to get the Weapon.

15 Elite runs, i do that in 2 slow afternoons, that means one full Set per week and not even grinding for it.
    The 3 Sets i have took weeks and weeks and weeks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    But ... being a "veteran" who has have freshly converted Marks (from EDCs salvage and whatever) -- does that not supposedly put you closer to whatever your goal is (most likely some gear piece) ?

Are you saying that ppl who have had EDCs salvage and whatever converted into STF Marks and ppl who have not will start at the same point in the new Rep Sysem ?
    That just does not make any sense .

Everyone starts at 0 XP.

N00b does STFs and earns 20 Marks for the Project, enters the costs, and waits 1 day.

Veteran players who have converted marks, enters the project costs, waits 1 day.

It's the same.

Only thing a Veteran can benefit is that he wouldn't need to do STFs for a while (still don't know the conversion rate to the new Omega Marks).
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Exactly. It's like a restaurant reheating leftovers and taking everyone's plate away while they're still eating to roll out the new menu with clearer pricing. Then saying, "Well, it's fair for everyone who wasn't here for the last meal and you still ate what you ate."

I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that did this. Nobody would.

I refuse to believe anybody internally at Cryptic finds this reasonable unless they have part of their brain turned off.

Well if you look at the most recent dev posts... I used to have a lot of respect for many devs, but it looks like they've embraced PWE's corporate thinking. They can be very nice people IRL but I think they'll loose a lot of esteem in the playerbase for their current way to do things.

Saying that this new system will make getting rewards easier for everyone is ignoring that:

- if the devs who tested the system don't care about their dilithium ressources, we do.
    - removing the previous random loot system and existing STF stores to force people to use the new dilthium stores doesn't make it easier, it's just here to make the prices higher. If we could use any of the two systems at our convenience to get the existing stuff (and not the new one) no one would ever complain but they don't get that - or they got it and think it's not profitable enough.

They can't even pretend they play the game, since they won't care about what is important to us.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    With all due respect to everyone here. The full Season 7 build isn't even on Tribble yet! Before everyone starts marching to Cryptics HQ with pitchforks and torches shall we actually see what the facts are before giving in to wild speculation?
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited October 2012
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    With all due respect to everyone here. The full Season 7 build isn't even on Tribble yet! Before everyone starts marching to Cryptics HQ with pitchforks and torches shall we actually see what the facts are before giving in to wild speculation?

With all due respect, we have been in this place before.

Every other time, what is on tribble WILL be going live. Trust me ;)
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ufpterrell wrote: »

Its not "SPECULATION," its a projection of the future. Its what poster darkenzedd posted, what usually hit Tribble, historically lands on LIVE, however; This time it seems like its landing on all our heads.

Truth be told I do not like the new Omega mark unofficial currency - simply because the STF were liken to an End game dungeon in which you were able to receive those very rare drops.

This so called new system basically places a real dollar price tag on the very rare drops, because now one can simply buy the much needed Dilithium via Zen. This also devalues the end game dungeons.

Basically in a nut shell there is now real dollar behind it regardless if you farm the Dilithium or not. The option there is to buy D at any time. The Omega Marks are simply a make shift proxy to the wholesale process.

I wouldn't mind it if the Mk XII Elite gear was pushed into the D Store and a new set was place in the dungeons and obtain the traditional way. However; this does not seem to be the case.

Once again another broken promise from Cryptic in regards to NEW sets replacing the old ones in cosmetic looks only.

I do not like the way this has turned out, the cost of the sets is waaaay to high at 100k D, and these end game dungeon should traditionally drop the sets for free, like most "Normal" MMO's do.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wow... Talk about shooting one selves in the proverbial foot...

I can't believe what PWE is doing here is allowed by CBS at all. CBS should be stopping PWE right now, before the entire game is sucked into a black hole, never to be heard of again....

100K dil for an entire Mk XII set?? what are they THINKING???

Seriously Cryptic, rethink this one before our beloved STO goes the way of the dodo....

Bad Cryptic is bad!!! :mad::mad::mad:
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Everyone starts at 0 XP.

N00b does STFs and earns 20 Marks for the Project, enters the costs, and waits 1 day.

Veteran players who have converted marks, enters the project costs, waits 1 day.

It's the same.

Only thing a Veteran can benefit is that he wouldn't need to do STFs for a while (still don't know the conversion rate to the new Omega Marks).

Ok , thanks , I understand now . :)
  • kelmorbranonkelmorbranon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The more I see Cryptic & PWE putting Dil prices on items that originally didn't have them, taking Dil rewards out of missions, "slowing down" progression to compensate for lack of content (aka, more grinding), putting time gated events in, & nerfing OR splitting items/item sets for the purpose of "forcing the hands" of players to "play as intended" ... The more likely I am to take my money & go elsewhere.

I'm going to be completely honest here: I'm getting real fed up with the clear sense that PWE & now Cryptic have little to no respect for its playerbase (aka, the people who ultimately pay their bills). I had no problem throwing money at this game when I believed the Devs were actually trying to make a game to be enjoyed. Now, this game feels more like a 2nd job with no real-life benefit. I chose not to grind for certain items simply because my time IS valuable to me. When it felt like there was a choice between time or paying money, I could live with that. Now, it's a decent amount of money on top of a great deal amount of time.

Combine that with bugs that have YET to be fixed, content that has been promised but isn't even being talked about now, time gating rewards (which, to me, is like Devs telling players they have to schedule their lives around a video game ... I'd laugh if it wasn't so insulting), degrading instability to even play the game, virtually asking for the opinions of its playerbase ONLY to do the opposite ... speaking only for myself, even though I know many others feel as I do, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Honestly, Devs, do you really expect this game to survive at this rate? Quote me your internal figures & observations all you like, as what you're saying & what I'm seeing/feeling don't match. STO was the first MMO I ever played, ONLY because I enjoy Star Trek. When it gets to the point where you make a honored franchise look bad, & actually start turning off fans to that franchise, you REALLY need to look at what you're doing.
    "If your conscience is bothering you, you should sooth it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the ENTIRE Alpha Quadrant. And all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, & the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I call that a bargain." - Elim Garak
  • finiesfinies Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I can still buy stf gear for EDCs, salvage, tech on tribble. They have also not pushed the reputation system... so once again please back up your claims.

thats because they haven't done the conversion yet
  • ericteslaerictesla Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No, it really isn't. Here's the numbers you're not seeing:

A full set of Mk XII Gear costs 3000 Marks, 15 Elite Marks, and ~100,000 Dilithium.

Attaining Tier 5 in Omega Rep costs 1,686 Marks, 0 Elite Marks, and ~80,000 Dilithium.

People that have already obtained a full set of the Mk XII gear of their choosing no longer have the need to spend the currency listed in above. In fact, along the way to obtaining that gear, it's incredibly likely that they've picked up a good chunk of EDCs, Salvage and Tech, all of which they have no use for (because they already have their desired gear), and will all be converted into Omega Marks which now have a purpose for them, should they choose to use them.

Their extra 'reward' is the fact that the system will cost them less. Considering the prices involved here, that's not something to be ignored.

Hmm...I think this sums it up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA18gjrZ7vw
    Eric Tesla
    Fleet Admiral
    The 2nd Fleet
    Second To None!
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Will there be a new store for this new Omega stuff?

Where?
  • the5thchild15the5thchild15 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    erictesla wrote: »

I lold

But sadly true.

Every time Cryptic decided to "change" the curencies we got ******* over bad.

Sadly they think this will get em more cash. Hopefully sooner or later theyll be proven wrong... that they have gone a bridge too far :cool:
  • kezzinkezzin Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Amen! :cool:
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I guess I'll just have to wait for the explanation thread on the main site and leave everyone to their Bile.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That's actually not how I read it.

If you already have the gear you start at tier 4, working on tier 5.

Whereas if you are new you start at tier 1 so veterans are skipping 4 levels of grinding.

As interesing as it is to discuss the price I am also curious about the actual merchandise, we are talking about the price of a product we don't even know.
    As in that's going to weigh even heavilier on the fairness of the cost.

Like I think it's great they introduced fleet projects and gear just for me personally the cost/benefit is at a huge deficit.

Luckily I enjoy playing in itself albeit if it's just one new ground stf and the romulan zone is a classic go kill 30 npcs grind festival I am probably not going to enjoy it overly much.
    But what it comes down to is, what is the actual reward like. So if anyone knows anything and can say something about it would be great.

About the doff now costing dilithium I still say it has to be related to fleet projects progessing too fast or maybe their own internal development too slowly.

I strongly believe that their in-come IS from subscribers and people buying lockboxes and recently LTS.

But yeah it's going to kill the doff system for me; right now if I invest say 10 million on a good day I can get a 30% chance of a good item @ 1 million EDC mission entry fee.
    That's a 70 % chance of failure witn the best gear after you invest 11 million...
    How much dilithium am I ready to pay for a 70 % chance of failure ? Not a whole lot.

I suggest we do a memorial service for the doff system on launch day and until then you fleet people need to farm doff packs and doff assigments like there is no tomorrow.
  • kelmorbranonkelmorbranon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
    Well said.
    "If your conscience is bothering you, you should sooth it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the ENTIRE Alpha Quadrant. And all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, & the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I call that a bargain." - Elim Garak
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    vestereng wrote: »
    That's actually not how I read it.

If you already have the gear you start at tier 4, working on tier 5.

Whereas if you are new you start at tier 1 so veterans are skipping 4 levels of grinding.

Not true. Confirmed by Jeremy last night.

If you have unspent EDC or salvage, they become marks. You still need the dilithium and the DOffs and other inputs. You still have the project timers. You still start at zero.

Jeremy said it would be "double-dipping" to award players progress based on their gear and that everyone starts at zero and that the ONLY credit you get will come from unspent STF currencies.
  • matteo716maikaimatteo716maikai Member Posts: 823
    edited October 2012
    Nice to see pve getting screwed as badly as pvp. -thumbs up-
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2012

How is PvE getting "screwed"?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited October 2012

In my mind PvP is being blissfully ignored! Believe me, you don't want them to turn their attention to it and actively destroy it as they try to squeeze some cash out of it.
    edited October 2012
    Not true. Confirmed by Jeremy last night.

If you have unspent EDC or salvage, they become marks. You still need the dilithium and the DOffs and other inputs. You still have the project timers. You still start at zero.

Jeremy said it would be "double-dipping" to award players progress based on their gear and that everyone starts at zero and that the ONLY credit you get will come from unspent STF currencies.

Well far be it from me to say anything negative about a developer but I am pretty sure someone came in this thread yesterday and said veterans start at tier 4.

Anyway this sort of relates to what I just posted about in your other thread about the acutal rewards in oppose to the cost, what are they, are they worth it, worth anything.
    But I guess you can answer that there if you have the time and you know what they are.

While I don't agree with asking people to refarm the same maps they played for a year I don't see an alternative for them.
    Putting you at zero is the only way to stall you really. If they did put you at the end of the line the whole point of s.7 goes out the window as you are already done with it.

Should they relase new maps and new gear yes but since they don't have the oppertunity I don't see any other way than resetting everyone.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Do all Academy missions get a dilithium cost on them?

Like the engineer cadre, the tactical, civil, etc, or only the junior pack that's sellable on Exchange?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My attitude is, give people a headstart on the farming. I agree that with new rewards being added, you can't say, "Here! Start at Tier 5!"

But you could say, I dunno:

- Here: People with Mk X set start at T1. People with Mk XI set start at T2. People with Mk XII set start at T3.

OR

- We'll award additional Omega marks for all of the gear accolades.

OR

- We'll break out the Veteran BOffs for people who had a set before the change, one for each set they owned.

OR

- We'll toss you a Reinforcement DOff pack for each accolade.

OR

- We'll toss anyone who had at least one set of Mk XI or better 20 lockbox keys. These keys will be bound, so you can't sell them and are claimable once per account but enjoy this value of over $20 in opening lockboxes, on us. Sorry for the inconvenience but we appreciate your dedication and think you'll like the new system if you keep an open mind.
    edited October 2012
    lol

Well it's sort of like that scene from 28 weeks later where they get a code red, it's a helluva lot easier to just shoot everyone.

But I agree with you totally, it's crazy talk to ask people to go grind the same maps all over again.

Honestly I was expecting a least new armor visuals, so if the maps couldn't be new at least the content was. And of course new actual abilities, no just changing stats around.

Now I find out I am playing the same maps for content I already have to get what exactly, the armor I am already wearing and some consumables.

ps. it costs dilithium now

Laughable if it weren't so tragic
  • robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I agree with everything the OP has pointed out. STO slowly stopped being fun for me this season. Truth be told, I haven't logged in for about three days, and those who know me can tell you I'm normally almost always on. The game has become unrecognizable.
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My attitude is, give people a headstart on the farming. I agree that with new rewards being added, you can't say, "Here! Start at Tier 5!"

But you could say, I dunno:

- Here: People with Mk X set start at T1. People with Mk XI set start at T2. People with Mk XII set start at T3.

OR

- We'll award additional Omega marks for all of the gear accolades.

OR

- We'll break out the Veteran BOffs for people who had a set before the change, one for each set they owned.

OR

- We'll toss you a Reinforcement DOff pack for each accolade.

OR

- We'll toss anyone who had at least one set of Mk XI or better 20 lockbox keys. These keys will be bound, so you can't sell them and are claimable once per account but enjoy this value of over $20 in opening lockboxes, on us. Sorry for the inconvenience but we appreciate your dedication and think you'll like the new system if you keep an open mind.

You have been awake for 2 long and are losing your mind!!!

I really have respected Borticus, he is one of the few Dev's who still regularly interacts with the community, however, from his last post this is my impression:

They have all been handed the Gestapo Uniform and Long Black boots and have been told this is what we are doing to the game and if any players complain just use those shinny new boots and step on their necks.

Am i getting the wrong impression?
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As i explained here http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=6184541#post6184541, charging us on dil is just crazy.

This intended reputation system might actually be a good idea. If it was meant to complement current means of getting chance-drop related items. Not as a replacement of the current system.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    You have been awake for 2 long and are losing your mind!!!

I really have repected Borticus, he is one of the few Dev's who still regularly interacts with the community, however, from his last post this is my impression:

They have all been handed the Gestapo Uniform and Long Black boots and have been told this is what we are doing to the game and if any players complain just use those shinny new boots and step on their necks.

Am i getting the wrong impression?

I am getting the impression that is not only the tholians who don't give a S*** http://a.yfrog.com/img610/9841/4rxhg.jpg
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"