test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skyrocketing Costs and Gear Nerfing Threaten to Force Me Out

Comments

• edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    linyive wrote: »
    According to the latest Priority One, the progress we made in STFs will be thrown away. Regardless about how long you have played, Cryptic is going to steal your hard work, money, and progression. If that one simple act does not make you upset, the only thing you are doing is bending over for some more. Its that simple.

So what you expect ,don't tell me you hoped they will consider those who played the hell out of those stfs and have all space and ground mk XII sets with optionals.They sold 1000 days of time in real world money thus making the old players and new players who cant find esd in sol system equal ...they moved an achievement to the garbage bin.

Yes you can hope that one day they will remove your stuffs from inventory and call it "new improved item management" .
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    Well I refine about 100k dilth a day - was hoping to cut back - but I guess not.

Jesus, I thought i was getting too obssesive by refining 48k per day on most days lol. Now I know I'm nowhere near as bad as some.
    I don't have a starbase to build up by myself so not as much incentive for me though.

It is nice to know that if dil does get anywhere near 50 per zen, my 1mil+ dil I can bring in per month might get me just about everything from the z-store I don't have yet.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »
    WAIT WHAT THE HELL IS THIS

Where's the proper feedback section for this? I've got a bone to pick with this boneheaded decision and I want to put it where it belongs.

I'm not spending forty-five minutes grinding for one purple doff upgrade that already comes at the cost of five rares. That's stupid and these price hikes are stupid and there had better be some damn solid reasoning behind this or I am going to flip so many tables.

There's lots more coming!!!

You like the new rates eh?

I am going to make a fortune selling greens and blues after this takes hold!

This is the proper feedback thread - but most people are caught up in the STF changes.
    edited October 2012
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Jesus, I thought i was getting too obssesive by refining 48k per day on most days lol. Now I know I'm nowhere near as bad as some.
    I don't have a starbase to build up by myself so not as much incentive for me though.

It is nice to know that if dil does get anywhere near 50 per zen, my 1mil+ dil I can bring in per month might get me just about everything from the z-store I don't have yet.

The 1.7 million dilth I spent recently on my starbase Tier 3 upgrade was a bit of an ouch!
  • emeraldagenda12emeraldagenda12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So, I know this is random and I don't post much...

Why doesn't someone just sue them for something then or have a government official look into regulating in-game online sales? It's real money in play and everyone seems so upset on feeling robbed about something instead of just leaving.

While I don't agree with many changes since PWE took over, I would never expect change to come from the forums, I think some of you should consider a lawyer or find away to directly voice concerns to the development and staff, however that may work.

Just some suggestions, considering I was about to purchase the LTS+benefits a few minutes ago and all of the negative posts on the forum have me actually thinking about finding a new game all together.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    There's lots more coming!!!

You like the new rates eh?

I am going to make a fortune selling greens and blues after this takes hold!

This is the proper feedback thread - but most people are caught up in the STF changes.

Oh, I like them all right.

I want to hug them and squeeze them and smoosh them until they turn blue and die.

Oh, I effin' love them so much. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So, I know this is random and I don't post much...

Why doesn't someone just sue them for something then or have a government official look into regulating in-game online sales? It's real money in play and everyone seems so upset on feeling robbed about something instead of just leaving.

While I don't agree with many changes since PWE took over, I would never expect change to come from the forums, I think some of you should consider a lawyer or find away to directly voice concerns to the development and staff, however that may work.

Just some suggestions, considering I was about to purchase the LTS+benefits a few minutes ago and all of the negative posts on the forum have me actually thinking about finding a new game all together.

I thought i heard it all....Cryptic really needs to cut the fat in the Thread, and start talking.
    :confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Since people love bringing up other MMOs as examples, how about WoW's raid content? If you roll up an alt, do they automatically get free or discounted loot just because you spent months earning raid gear for your main toon? No. You work for it just the same.

Not the argument being made - you missed the point by a mile trying to defend this terrible decision.
    I'm not spending forty-five minutes grinding for one purple doff upgrade that already comes at the cost of five rares. That's stupid and these price hikes are stupid and there had better be some damn solid reasoning behind this or I am going to flip so many tables.

Welcome aboard, now that you figured out they're TRIBBLE you too :)
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Now people know what it felt like when they first nerfed the Borg STF gear that we worked so hard for long ago.

I've been told recently, "it's just the way MMO's operate."
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Now people know what it felt like when they first nerfed the Borg STF gear that we worked so hard for long ago.

I've been told recently, "it's just the way MMO's operate."

Feels great for someone who has everything they want from STFs and Fleet starbase system and can earn/refine a lot of dil per day, and has tons of doff saved up on all characters to sell come s7.

I am going to make a killing, can't wait.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    WAIT WHAT THE HELL IS THIS

Where's the proper feedback section for this? I've got a bone to pick with this boneheaded decision and I want to put it where it belongs.

Relax !! :D
    Everything is fine . :rolleyes:
    Cryptic loves us and they can do no wrong . :cool:

Now go back dismissing the fanbase's concerns and continue to mock us with your "clever" sig .

neoakiraii wrote: »
    I thought i heard it all....Cryptic really needs to cut the fat in the Thread, and start talking.
    :confused:

Heh !
    After the amount of sarcasm and belittling you and jexsamx dished out recently during the LTS Sale "with benefits" -- it's oh so enjoyable to see you two noticing that funny onrushing light at the end of the tunnel .
  • mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited October 2012

You might start with this thread in the Tribble section.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Since people love bringing up other MMOs as examples, how about WoW's raid content? If you roll up an alt, do they automatically get free or discounted loot just because you spent months earning raid gear for your main toon? No. You work for it just the same.

I'm steering clear of commenting directly but, yeah, they do now.

Achievements are accountwide. Mounts are accountwide. Pets are accountwide. They sell heirloom gear to level your alts with. Alts get double reputation for reputation already earned on a main.

Reputation is one of the principal barriers to certain gear.

And I think it's doubly important in a F2P game that sells character slots so that people don't just set up side accounts to get more alts.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    aelfwin1 wrote: »

Heh !
    After the amount of sarcasm and belittling you and jexsamx dished out recently during the LTS Sale "with benefits" -- it's oh so enjoyable to see you two noticing that funny onrushing light at the end of the tunnel .

Yeah, still stand by those, but kids will be kids...anyhow, Once season 7 is on tribble, and Cryptic has their test out season 7 for gift stuff, I can see how things get, and have a better understanding of what's to come. till then I don't have enough information.

So far I like that I don't have to rely on my friends and luck to get MK XII sets and could run more pug runs, and Don't have to run CSE to get the engine, if I'm lucky enough to get one. :cool:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • ortsimortsim Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So S7 is essentially this so far:

Current STFs have a revamped system (and is still the same content as two years ago), and the gear is purchaseable after rep gains from grinding the missions along with a few new additions. Is there any other way to get rep, such as dailies? Sounds like Burning Crusade WoW rep system, meh.

New Romulan content with reputation system and group content and missions, as well as a revamped way to get the Reman set. Sounds decent.

Fleet Embassy as an addition to fleet progression. I've read there are threat-scaling science consoles as a store reward, not sure what that is yet...This also sounds interesting, but most of the rewards seem to be more cosmetic in nature.

DOFF system in general squeezes a drastically increased amount of dilithium out of the upgrade system as well as general recruitment (I think I saw a 1k tag on just a standard pack?).

Is that a decent sum-up?

I've never bothered to do the STFs because the gear just doesn't seem worth it, it seems a bit better now that it is less RNG based, but still not a fan of rep grinding via "dungeons". The Romulan stuff is interesting because it seems more like the Tholian missions, which is pretty decent as STO goes, though repetitive. The Reman set doesn't interest me with its current incarnation, so I hope they add another set or more rewards in general. The Fleet stuff seems to be the best thing going for STO right now, for me. I'm the fourth largest contributor to our fleet, it feels like we're making decent progress, and I can get DOFFs for fairly cheap as well as some interesting gear (thinking about buying a deflector/shield/engine, even though it isn't a "set"). Overall, kind of unimpressed till I try out the Romulan "adventure" content.
  • willy01pwewilly01pwe Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah on tribble now and the grinding up of doffs has sky rocketed... I would never use it now... Not that I ever did anyway as I just sent all doffs to the starbase wood chipper or mailed them to myself so they could be sent to the wood chipper at a later point. I'm definitely not paying 5000DL to get a random purple.... that could have traits or profession I could care less about.

The dilithium increase for DOFF exchange is going to cause a massive backlash and Cryptic / PW are going to lose players over this. Check out the thread in the Test Server forums, up to 20+ pages and counting...

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=418461

I hope this doesn't become Cryptic's Combat Upgrade / NGE mistake. Sony Online Entertainment pretty much KILLED Star Wars Galaxies in 2005 when they dropped the CU on a universally disapproving player base. People left in droves (I was one of them).
    --
    No Star Trek Series went past Season 7.

Will Star Trek Online survive Season 7?
    edited October 2012
    Heh !

I don't see how my opinion of the LTS situation and the DOff price jump are at all related, or how my support of the former somehow invalidates my hatred of the latter.

Despite what some may think, I'm not some blind apologist. I'm just an easy man to please. As long as changes introduced don't drastically harm my experience, I'm generally okay with it. On top of that, I make an effort to consider changes from a developer and business standpoint. This helps me see the logic in most changes.

But this DOff hike... I can't see the logic behind it. I can't see where it adds a needed gate. DOffs are already strained price-wise because of the need to input them into the Fleet system. This new tax only stands to hyperinflate DOff prices on the exchange by virtue of limiting their creation. There is no intelligent reason to add such exorbitant prices. Even the "but Cryptic needs to make money" argument falls flat because they're introducing alongside this change not one, but two Rep grinds that require Dil input. Dil in those I can understand, as a form of time gating it. But why this needless change to DOffs?

I still think Lifers, and everyone else whining about the LTS bonus, for that matter, that fly Gal-X's they didn't earn through Referals are giant flaming hypocrites, btw.
    edited October 2012
    I don't see how my opinion of the LTS situation and the DOff price jump are at all related, or how my support of the former somehow invalidates my hatred of the latter.

Despite what some may think, I'm not some blind apologist. I'm just an easy man to please. As long as changes introduced don't drastically harm my experience, I'm generally okay with it. On top of that, I make an effort to consider changes from a developer and business standpoint. This helps me see the logic in most changes.

But this DOff hike... I can't see the logic behind it. I can't see where it adds a needed gate. DOffs are already strained price-wise because of the need to input them into the Fleet system. This new tax only stands to hyperinflate DOff prices on the exchange by virtue of limiting their creation. There is no intelligent reason to add such exorbitant prices. Even the "but Cryptic needs to make money" argument falls flat because they're introducing alongside this change not one, but two Rep grinds that require Dil input. Dil in those I can understand, as a form of time gating it. But why this needless change to DOffs?

I still think Lifers, and everyone else whining about the LTS bonus, for that matter, that fly Gal-X's they didn't earn through Referals are giant flaming hypocrites, btw.

There are a few of us "professional" doffers as I call it that will make off like bandits with these changes - as more fleets move up to T3/T4 and require green/blue doffs their exchange prices are going to triple. Green security doffs are 300k+ most of the day - they could easily head toward a million EC - awesome!!
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I refuse to spend 5k Dilithium to grind up 5 blue doffs into a purple chef or refugee. Bugger off.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I make an effort to consider changes from a developer and business standpoint. This helps me see the logic in most changes.

But this DOff hike... I can't see the logic behind it.

Think of the following as ... The New (and improved) Prime Directive :

Monetize Everything !

Still makes no sense ?
    How about this : take the above directive and look at what new things had a Dill sink added to them :

STF's
    Mark XII gear shop (where you can by stuff w/STF Marks + Dill)
    Doff starter packs

All of the above were not connected to the Dilithium monetized economy .
    Now they are .

Good times ! :cool:

Still makes no sense ?
    How about this :
    They are developing a "free" web/tablet/phone app that will eventually allow you to Doff on the Road away from your PC .
    Now ... do you think that they will let you Doff for free , or that they will try to somehow monetize your "on the road" Doffing (either partially or fully) ?

The Doff system was a beautiful place ... while it was for free .
    Not Any Longer .

(snip)

Despite what some may think, I'm not some blind apologist. I'm just an easy man to please. As long as changes introduced don't drastically harm my experience, I'm generally okay with it.

Yeah , except that you (and neoakiraii) were more than a little bit selfish in the LTS debacle precisely because your world view in this instance boiled down to "if it does not bother Me than it must not matter" .
    The world only works like that if you are permanently locked in a room .
    I kind of hope that you are not .

a - your tone is offensive
    b - I don't care about the "items" ppl get , I have a problem with the selling of the "Veteran" title to ppl who never visited Omega Leonis .
    You cannot sell Veterancy and still be respected . (imho)
    Plus the turnaround between announcing the 1000 day vet award and putting it up for sale was literally akin to handing someone a gift and then yanking the gift out of their hands and yelling "for sale !" .
    c - The sale of the Galaxy-X is a stale-stale issue that is 2 years old . If you think that you are being clever by comparing it to the objections to the new LTS sale ... , well you have my sympathies .
    Well no , not really . Actually you have my pity .
    Enjoy your Cryptic Defense League status . It never lasts . Ever .
  • djnooobdjnooob Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No, it really isn't. Here's the numbers you're not seeing:

A full set of Mk XII Gear costs 3000 Marks, 15 Elite Marks, and ~100,000 Dilithium.

Attaining Tier 5 in Omega Rep costs 1,686 Marks, 0 Elite Marks, and ~80,000 Dilithium.

People that have already obtained a full set of the Mk XII gear of their choosing no longer have the need to spend the currency listed in above. In fact, along the way to obtaining that gear, it's incredibly likely that they've picked up a good chunk of EDCs, Salvage and Tech, all of which they have no use for (because they already have their desired gear), and will all be converted into Omega Marks which now have a purpose for them, should they choose to use them.

Their extra 'reward' is the fact that the system will cost them less. Considering the prices involved here, that's not something to be ignored.

You've already said that each mkxii item would be 5 elite marks. So as you stated above, a "complete set" is only the shield/engine/deflector.

So if you want a weapons set that's another 30k x number of weapons. So for me that's 7 which equals another 210k. So that is a total 390k dil for what really is a complete set. THAT'S A MONTH AND A HALF OF USING EVERY BIT OF DIL YOU CAN REFINE PER DAY.

ARE YOU GUYS NUTS?

And if you've got multiple toons you'd have to contribute 80k dil for each to unlock the store
    And not only dil but all the other stuff you have to contribute to reputation projects
    And not only is there omega but if you want romulan stuff, its the same
    And now you want us to pay outrageous amounts for doffs
    And we're supposed to contribute to our fleet projects
    And now there is MORE fleet projects with the embassy

Never mind the fact that there are those who have already put countless hours into stf's and now have to grind..again to get access to the things they already have access to (ie have prototype and edcs saved to get new things when I want) for however long it takes to re-unlock it. I mean this whole thing just reeks of you guys wanting to make the game so f'ing miserable that the only way to enjoy it is to cough up fist fulls of dollars. I understand that you need to make money but ffs you already nickle and dime people to death. And... what about those who already give you money? Those people really get screwed.

What do I suggest?

1) scrap the idea of the doff price increases. They're completely outrageous.
    2) Make the rep system account wide, not character specific or allow the items to be able to be traded between characters in an account.
    3) Get rid of the project completion time in the rep system. If someone has the marks because they converted it from edc/prototypes, there's no reason why they should have to wait 2 months to get the things they already have access to. Either that or just simply open the store to anyone who already has access to those items. Again asking people to grind again for something they have already done the grinding for is BS.
    4) Something that should have been done long ago..... get rid of the dil refinement cap for gold/veterans. They give you money already and they shouldn't be limited. If you worried about people zen farming....simple solution. Put a cap on how much zen can be bought with dil per day.

On a side note. Scrap the borg set changes. 3 piece + maco is the most popular config in the game. It's not overpowered and doesn't need to be changed. How about instead you create something new for people to try and get. That's called adding value instead of what you propose which feels like a big middle finger to the player base.

p.s. while your at it.....you should come up with a new reward for those veterans who put in so much time into the game (which is very valuable, money isn't the only that keeps this game alive) AND gave you money, since you decided to give thier reward away to those who have given far less (both in time and money)
  • zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It's a shame that STO does not have a "Jita Monument" equivalent I can let the dread unload on all night... And I guess it means nothing that I cared about STO enough to consider doing just that.
    edited October 2012
    djnooob wrote: »
    On a side note. Scrap the borg set changes. 3 piece + maco is the most popular config in the game. It's not overpowered and doesn't need to be changed. How about instead you create something new for people to try and get. That's called adding value instead of what you propose which feels like a big middle finger to the player base.

Although Borticus is an excellent dev and is by for the most active on the forums he has one major flaw: He listens almost exclusively to the hard core PvPer's - who make up 1% of the game population.

According to them they inform him the PvE is so easy that they can do it on elite with all common gear and their eyes closed - so no-one need the extra power that these sets give but them - this is going to make borticus make some critical errors regarding the desires of the bulk of the player base.
  • wilsonfrontierwilsonfrontier Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    :(

What's happening to this game?
    edited October 2012
    Yeah , except that you (and neoakiraii) were more than a little bit selfish in the LTS debacle precisely because your world view in this instance boiled down to "if it does not bother Me than it must not matter" .
    The world only works like that if you are permanently locked in a room .
    I kind of hope that you are not .

Supporting an increase in LTS value for basically everyone that wasn't already hitting 1000 days anyway is selfish? I find that laughable.
  • verbenamageverbenamage Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No, it really isn't. Here's the numbers you're not seeing:

A full set of Mk XII Gear costs 3000 Marks, 15 Elite Marks, and ~100,000 Dilithium.

Attaining Tier 5 in Omega Rep costs 1,686 Marks, 0 Elite Marks, and ~80,000 Dilithium.

People that have already obtained a full set of the Mk XII gear of their choosing no longer have the need to spend the currency listed in above. In fact, along the way to obtaining that gear, it's incredibly likely that they've picked up a good chunk of EDCs, Salvage and Tech, all of which they have no use for (because they already have their desired gear), and will all be converted into Omega Marks which now have a purpose for them, should they choose to use them.

Their extra 'reward' is the fact that the system will cost them less. Considering the prices involved here, that's not something to be ignored.

That is nothing but pure sophistry. You're TRIBBLE the entire player base over by making the current system more expensive AND more grindy, then trying to pretend that anyone benefits from it.

What you're doing is essentially like a store raising the price of a product by 30%, then making a 10% off "sale." You're doing the exact same thing here, you're jacking up the prices and trying to convince the gullible that they're "saving" because they're not getting over-charged by quite as much as everyone else. It's complete and utter TRIBBLE.

The feedback so far is monumentally opposed to these changes. You need to rethink them. If you don't, you're basically saying you don't care about your player base's opinions.

We want more content, not more grind. The game is already grindy enough, thank you.

Don't be short-sighted. Yes, adding a dil cost to everything is a way to make more money in the short term. But if people get fed up with being abused and manipulated by your transparent talks about how they're "saving" with your new grindy system, not to mention getting fed up with the grind itself, they'll leave. And then you'll lose that potential revenue.
    edited October 2012
    https://twitter.com/CaptainGeko/status/259441429137469440

I'm al Rivera, and I approve this message.

(Almost) no one cares about the forums.

Game forums in general are known to be stereotyped as the place where petulant man-children rant and rave about everything that's "wrong" with the game. Therefore, there's no such thing as "bad press" on the forums, because by association, forums are known to be nothing but the home of ranting tirades. Rarely, someone in the game press will refer to a game's forums, but only to reinforce something already in a story. Press or breaking info rarely starts wholly from the forums (usually Marketing posts something elsewhere first or in conjunction with a thread), because, by their reputation, no one but die-hard fans and community reps read them.

Get some perspective - it's a video game.

People will complain incessantly on the forums about even the most trivial things. Look, I understand that you're upset about your ship's turn rate or the latest "nerf" for whatever. It doesn't main you have to go on a tirade every chance you get. You're in your 30s for crying out loud, be mature and realize that it's just a video game. Otherwise you just end up getting wrapped around the axle and looking like this guy, getting kicked off the forums and keeping track of every little developer-induced injustice from your secret underground lair (read: mother's basement). Is this how you want to live your life? Or would you rather enjoy a warm summer day with friends and/or loved ones and blow up some Borg when you want to relax and put your feet up? That's what I thought.
  • emperormakemperormak Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That's quite an attitude.

It's fine if you're Wal-Mart. Because let's be honest...no matter how much you hate Wal-Mart, you'll still go there because a lot of things are cheaper there than elsewhere. And there's a Wal-Mart just about everywhere. And if they manage to TRIBBLE you off so much that you refuse to ever shop there again, it's so immeasurably insignificant that they won't realize anything at all happened. Wal-Mart cannot fail because you get mad at them.

STO is not Wal-Mart. STO is small. STO can fail. Antagonizing your customers like this is not very smart. The old "the customer is always right" doesn't mean you always give the customer what they want. But it does mean you go out of your way to NOT TRIBBLE them off.

If someone wants to think everyone on the forums is an immature moron, they can think that. But actually saying it is another thing. You can do it, but it's not very smart.

And furthermore, I'd be shocked if the people that post a lot on the forum were not the people that spent the most cash on this game. Calling them all whiners and cry-babies is a GREAT way to get them to spend more money.
  • rostschutz1rostschutz1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    -36k dili for any XII space weapon
    -5k dili for transfering blue doffs into a purple
    -no free doff packs
    -a grind system for items i already own
    - more grind features with dili-doff costs

and still no retrait-token

to keep it short: FU

i wont support this BS any longer. there is a limit and now you crossed mine
    at least i can smile a bit that i haven't purchased the lifetime abo. and damn i would have bought it next month.
  • zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well thanks for being honest Captain Geko, dear Al, even if it was an ill advised lapse in professionalism.

Sure. it's just a game. I used to enjoy it. I invested a lot into it and was "passionate" about it. This was "my" mistake. Not yours. No one on staff cares that many of us do not like the direction they are taking the game with these changes. They are going to do what they want as we are the minority in their view. We are just basement dwelling trolls rather than the passionate and vocal players who supported you through the hard times, love or hate what you were doing.

I understand completely. I will not waste more time or emotion on it. I'll just spend my money elsewhere.

It's like voting... And I am casting this one.