test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lifetime Sub Sale + New Benefit

Comments

• finiesfinies Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    From a business perspective, I 100% agree and they have a monopoly of sorts since there are very few SciFi MMOs to choose from (if you want to actually call this an MMO). They have nothing to loose and everything to gain...in the short term. But from my business experience, you don't last long throwing your customers under the bus to gain new ones.

But like you said..."please sir, may I have another".

I heard next month
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    And now Johnny New Guy that joined last week and decides to buy an LTS will have all the same "Vet" items that my Fleetmates and I earned for all our support and tolerance of the issues, bugs, and mega grinding...:confused:
    Yay for Johnny...
    >>:/

And all you'll have to show for it is an investment that's long since off and more free dilithium than Johnny will ever get. Yay for him, sinking hundreds of dollars into a game you get to play for absolutely free and getting a shiny bauble that you also get.
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thank you Cryptic for giving more value to my LTS. :)

This is how I always thought it should have been.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    And now Johnny New Guy that joined last week and decides to buy an LTS will have all the same "Vet" items that my Fleetmates and I earned for all our support and tolerance of the issues, bugs, and mega grinding...:confused:
    Yay for Johnny...
    >>:/

Maybe "Johnny" will become a PvPer and Klingon.

So all is right with the world.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kbflordkruegkbflordkrueg Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    And all you'll have to show for it is an investment that's long since off and more free dilithium than Johnny will ever get. Yay for him, sinking hundreds of dollars into a game you get to play for absolutely free and getting a shiny bauble that you also get.

Um.."free dilithium"...that's not part of the LTS...it's Zstore pts, which anyone can get by grinding Dilithium and using the Dilithium exchange. ;)
    I wish...maybe it would ease the pain of the Dilithium sinks the StarBases have turned out to be. :rolleyes:
    Lord Krueg
    KBF CO
    We are the Dead
    join date Aug 2008
  • mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    snoge00f wrote: »
    Thank you Cryptic for giving more value to my LTS. :)

This is how I always thought it should have been.

Hear hear. I've been a member for 730 something days so far and considering how much a LTS costs for a GAME (think about it, what else could you spend $300 on?), you're getting a lot for your money, clothing, titles, slots, ships, etc with this new reward system.

I don't see why people need to equate pain and suffering for having an LTS, you already went through pain and suffering earning those $300 to pay for STO, no need to go through it in a game ;)
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I personally find this move by PWE/Cryptic to be disappointing.

I stand to gain 300 days worth of veteran rewards through this, yet I still think it disreputable to change the rules (and to risk annoying your most loyal customers) just in order to make a fast buck.

I hope this marketing decision is worth all the forum rage.

That's all. :o
  • sehlatkitten01sehlatkitten01 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    About Time We Lifers Dont Have To Wait For Everything. Im At 700 Days And To Be Honest Im Damn Happy They Decided To Be Nice And Give Us Lifers This.

To You Haters Shut The Frick Up And Live With It. We Got What We Should Have Gotten All Along......

Thank You Cryptic !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    All this rage is pointless garbage. Talk of time and effort, "I earned my vet rewards" is baseless. You didn't earn the vet rewards, all you did was buy a lts, you were gonna get the vet rewards whether you played or not. You could have bought the lts pre-release, played a month, maxed a toon, then dropped the game. Come back 970 days later, bam all vet rewards "earned." I guess that person doesn't deserve these rewards either. Oh and the "this smells of PWE," sorry but this practice is common in MMO's. Rift, for example, gives you all the rewards up front based on how much time you have purchased, not played.

I'm almost a 900 day vet, been here since open beta, took a break, and came back to buy a LTS. This perk was requested by the community oh so long ago, and it even included gold members.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

• giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    being a lifer with over 900 days of active subscription anyway this new deal isent that big a deal for me but I understand why some people might be upset over if. Not sure who would support this but imo I think that instead of getting access to all vet rewards, lifers should just get the vet rewards equivalent to lets say 500 days on top of what they already have. I think that would make a little more sense.
    About Time We Lifers Dont Have To Wait For Everything. Im At 700 Days And To Be Honest Im Damn Happy They Decided To Be Nice And Give Us Lifers This.

To You Haters Shut The Frick Up And Live With It. We Got What We Should Have Gotten All Along......

Thank You Cryptic !!!!!!!!!!!!

No you didnt. You wanted instant gratification. You are not getting what you or anyone else should have gotten all along..apparently people dont understand that being a veteran means something...im glad you been around for the 700 days...but apparently it doesnt phase you or a few others that this is a slap in the face to the people including you who have been around a set amount of time, to put up with cryptics constant excuses/delays/poor production, yet many of us continued to offer advice/suggestions and support in one for or another. That is the true meaning of being a veteran. to do it for 1k days was a milestone. And now its just here you go kids thanks for the extra 200 bucks and joining 3 days ago.
    The veteran reward system has been in place in mmos for more than a decade and have never been treated so TRIBBLE poorly in terms of reward or loyalty to the people who stuck it out.
    This was the boldest and dumbest decision a company could have ever made..it will neither shut them down or keep them going.
    I support f2p and the need to keep money incoming but this was not a good way to do it, not by a long shot. Id rather suffer another 2 years of lockbox messages than see veterans such as myself be walked all over in such a fashion as this.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

edited October 2012
    bunansa wrote: »
    Id rather suffer another 2 years of lockbox messages than see veterans such as myself be walked all over in such a fashion as this.

You aren't being walked over. You still get your rewards.

Only now the people who take the risk and fork over 200+ USD in a free2play game get the benefits of those who've subscribed for x-amount of time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cursixcursix Member Posts: 0
    edited October 2012
    As many have said before me, I feel happy and cheated at this move. On one hand, we finally get an additional benefit to tag on to LTS. On the other hand, this does almost, if absolutely, nothing for a number of LTS.

Even if you eventually add additional vet awards 9which I seriously doubt you will), you tend to add them within a week or two of when the first LTS would already get them. So this perk really has no benefit to your original members. But than again, I believe you guys don't value your old-time members these days.

Hopefully word of this will spread and for-warn those in any future Cryptic games.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I made it as far as page 17 and skipped to the end. As I sort out my thoughts, I realize that STO does not continue on original veteran contributions alone. My 2010 investment was never about what the veteran reward list looked like. However, it has felt good to reach each milestone as Cryptic laid them in front of me.
    rheatitan wrote: »
    I feel like I ran a marathon only to find out everyone took a bus to the finish line.

This quote sums up my initial gut reaction fairly well. The more melodramatic responses have been trademarked in these forums years ago. ;)

It was Cryptic, after all, who laid out the bread crumbs of veteran rewards to begin with. I'm not entirely opposed to the handing out of 100 to 1000 Day Veteran Rewards all at once now that those are set. However,
    I would not have made the same decision that Cryptic has this week.

I would only have offered this new sale a month from now. And only offer the incentive to new LTM's through the duration of the sale period. In this way, veterans of 2+ years are still acknowledged. While acknowledging those impressed enough with the most current state of the game since F2P to invest in the here and now. I do comprehend that their interests are important, too.

(/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yay! I waited till my 'free' 30 days ended before buying the Lifetime Sub (@ full price, I might add! :mad:), so I was always 30+ days behind people who went LTS in beta. Now, I get the goodies at the same time! :D
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • jnohdjnohd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As a Pre-order LTSer, I support this decision.

I do however insist that the game start actually making preparations for rewards beyond 1000! And would it hurt to release them a tiny bit early?

:D

Oh! I would like to request that TITLES remain tied to actual account age, however!
    Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
    ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
    A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
    Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
  • tali9999tali9999 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    cursix wrote: »
    As many have said before me, I feel happy and cheated at this move. On one hand, we finally get an additional benefit to tag on to LTS. On the other hand, this does almost, if absolutely, nothing for a number of LTS.

Even if you eventually add additional vet awards 9which I seriously doubt you will), you tend to add them within a week or two of when the first LTS would already get them. So this perk really has no benefit to your original members. But than again, I believe you guys don't value your old-time members these days.

Hopefully word of this will spread and for-warn those in any future Cryptic games.

You know what? You GOT your perk already A LONG TIME ago. By taking the risk of purchasing Lifetime sub years back, you are now currently playing the game for free since quite a few months compared to the others like me who had paid Gold for months and now finally decide to buy Lifetime.

Actually, you are most fortunate. I should have gone Lifetime along time ago like you did and i woudl have saved lot of money like you did.

But even so, now i take the LTS and i am still very happy and i want to thank Cryptic for that!

Thank You Cryptic!
  • captallendalecaptallendale Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Disregarding the rage, lets look at whether this is a good deal or not. For someone who is a current F2P customer. I have a second account that was created after F2P. I did buy the EC cap upgrade on it, and some Doff roster size upgrades. Oh and 2 more Char Slots (total of 4 on that account).

I had thought of making a single monthly $15 purchase. That would get me the account bank. some more inventory, bank, Boff, and ship slots. It would also get me a third character (plus the two I have bought for a total of 5). However, most of those benefits stay even if i just purchase for the month. About the only thing you get for staying Gold is foundry access and vet rewards. (Is that pretty much correct). Incidentally the 20 account bank slots would cost you more than $15, and the other increases on top of this make it a no-brainer. If you are F2P then you NEED to go gold for one month to get all this stuff.

BUT If instead of that $15 I just pay $199 (a lot more to be sure). But for that I get the $5 worth of Zen a month (still takes forever to get that all back though, but it helps). But I also get all of the stuff above (1 character slot, account bank, and more bank, ship, inventory, and boff roster slots).

So I get the stuff I could get for $15, plus $5 a month, plus the vet rewards (all at once). So what all is there that is useful.

2 More Character Slots (above the one for $15 Gold)
    That is a only a $6 value but it helps.

4 Full Respecs for each character (is that how that would work?)
    3 More Ship slots for each character (above and beyond what I get for one $15 Gold anyway).

And to buy those for one character would be $27. Though most people would not need that many respecs for each and every captain. Still that is a $27 value for every captain in your account.

Now there is the uniform pieces, the Captains yacht small ship, and a pet in there too, as well as the skill point bonuses. Not bad extra stuff. Some people may truly like some of that. The extra veteran dilithium turn-in mission may help too.

The other big worthwhile (IMHO) things are the new heavy destroyer ships. These in the C-store would probably by $25 bucks like everything else.
    The other worthwhile bit is the free VA ship token. If you have not bought any already, this lets every character get their choice of one of the VA (zen) ships. This has a variable value. If you have several characters across both sides and they each would want a different VA ship to chose from, then you could spend $120 or more unlocking them all. Of course, then you could claim each one on every character (same faction) and claim any consoles of each, but still.

So if you are totally F2P (either no money in, or just some C-Store purchases) then the $15 for one month of Gold and then back to free is a great value.

OR you can go $199. Get the same stuff you would for the $15, $6 worth of new character slots. $27 of retrain and ship slots for every captain. The free uniform and other stuff. The New ships, the VA ship token for each character. and $5 worth a zen per month for the history of the game. I can see enough value in this, but that is up to each person.

Is there anything I am missing??????
  • tali9999tali9999 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Disregarding the rage, lets look at whether this is a good deal or not. For someone who is a current F2P customer. I have a second account that was created after F2P. I did buy the EC cap upgrade on it, and some Doff roster size upgrades. Oh and 2 more Char Slots (total of 4 on that account).

I had thought of making a single monthly $15 purchase. That would get me the account bank. some more inventory, bank, Boff, and ship slots. It would also get me a third character (plus the two I have bought for a total of 5). However, most of those benefits stay even if i just purchase for the month. About the only thing you get for staying Gold is foundry access and vet rewards. (Is that pretty much correct). Incidentally the 20 account bank slots would cost you more than $15, and the other increases on top of this make it a no-brainer. If you are F2P then you NEED to go gold for one month to get all this stuff.

BUT If instead of that $15 I just pay $199 (a lot more to be sure). But for that I get the $5 worth of Zen a month (still takes forever to get that all back though, but it helps). But I also get all of the stuff above (1 character slot, account bank, and more bank, ship, inventory, and boff roster slots).

So I get the stuff I could get for $15, plus $5 a month, plus the vet rewards (all at once). So what all is there that is useful.

2 More Character Slots (above the one for $15 Gold)
    That is a only a $6 value but it helps.

4 Full Respecs for each character (is that how that would work?)
    3 More Ship slots for each character (above and beyond what I get for one $15 Gold anyway).

And to buy those for one character would be $27. Though most people would not need that many respecs for each and every captain. Still that is a $27 value for every captain in your account.

Now there is the uniform pieces, the Captains yacht small ship, and a pet in there too, as well as the skill point bonuses. Not bad extra stuff. Some people may truly like some of that. The extra veteran dilithium turn-in mission may help too.

The other big worthwhile (IMHO) things are the new heavy destroyer ships. These in the C-store would probably by $25 bucks like everything else.
    The other worthwhile bit is the free VA ship token. If you have not bought any already, this lets every character get their choice of one of the VA (zen) ships. This has a variable value. If you have several characters across both sides and they each would want a different VA ship to chose from, then you could spend $120 or more unlocking them all. Of course, then you could claim each one on every character (same faction) and claim any consoles of each, but still.

So if you are totally F2P (either no money in, or just some C-Store purchases) then the $15 for one month of Gold and then back to free is a great value.

OR you can go $199. Get the same stuff you would for the $15, $6 worth of new character slots. $27 of retrain and ship slots for every captain. The free uniform and other stuff. The New ships, the VA ship token for each character. and $5 worth a zen per month for the history of the game. I can see enough value in this, but that is up to each person.

Is there anything I am missing??????

I could not have said it any better. That is exactly what i am seeing and why i bought the Lifetime two hours ago.

I only hope the game will last for 13 more months and then it is 100% sure that i am not wasting any money here :)
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Never underestimate the ability for Cryptic to monetize and sell you something that should be earned through loyalty or hard work.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Saw a quote about running a marathon, just to see other people taking the bus to the finish line. Vet rewards has nothing to do with you actively playing the game for 1000 days. You could have bought the LTS on day 1 not played the game for 1000 days, then logged in and presto 1000 day vet. This argument alone negates the selfish, "wah, I've been actively playing for 1000 days, these rewards are just for me, wah!!!"
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

• levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tali9999 wrote: »
    I could not have said it any better. That is exactly what i am seeing and why i bought the Lifetime two hours ago.

I only hope the game will last for 13 more months and then it is 100% sure that i am not wasting any money here :)

Can you confirm the bit about the free VA ship token? What ships? and only 1 per account right? not per character.
  • rjewkesrjewkes Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wow wendsday instead of thursday, now we'll all be spoiled.
    signature2.jpg
    galacticguards.enjin.com/
    Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009!
  • knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    People who buy into LTS are now the ones taking the risks.

These deal smacks of desperation.

Who is to say this isnt one last money drab before the servers close in six months?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mazurkr1mazurkr1 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i understand the rage, but i understand cryptic's reasoning as well.

to soothe your pain, fellow almost-1000 day vets, at least newbie LTS-ers can't get the past accolades (1-yr, 2-yr, etc.).

and if they have been around that long, and choose to pay now, they deserve the same thing we got (and it helps the game out, too).
  • captallendalecaptallendale Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    Can you confirm the bit about the free VA ship token? What ships? and only 1 per account right? not per character.

I am not sure how the VA ship token works. I tried to ask around in game. I got the impression that each character can choose one, but that may be wrong. Is there someone who knows?

And I am assuming this is the retrofit version. And the special ability consoles on those are all ship specific. I was thinking of the refit versions, and those consoles can be moved to other ships. But I doubt those would come with the retrofit versions unless you bought the refit version separately. Ok this TRIBBLE is getting confusing.
  • jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    knocky wrote: »
    People who buy into LTS are now the ones taking the risks.

These deal smacks of desperation.

Who is to say this isnt one last money drab before the servers close in six months?

idk... Money grab? oh yes! But last ditch?? They have done a lot of things that has suggested trouble. F2P, game being sold, jumping from one project then dropping it. Remeber remasterd episodes?? It was like going to be the new great thing.. After what? 2 it was over. Featured? Big deal! Now gone.

Take F2p.... they gave everything but the kitchen sink for free.. When I first heard I was like here comes the paid expansions. Never happened. Im a 982 day player I have stayed 6 month sub pay from day one. I only stay paid because of the vet rewards. Yet they are now looking gone.. Why the hell do I need to still pay "im not btw" March will not be paid. But I begged, bugged why get rid of it?? Just give us paid peeps a freaking badge. A belt! Show us some love! They showed us the back of there hand as they targ slapped us. You lifers.. Vet was sold to you and me as something only we will get. Yet they made the 1000 day ship a "C" Store ship C meaning a C note $$ money ship for all. I have never seen a company that just steps on there loyal customers as much as this one has.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Here is my colorful mental picture I posted a while ago, with someone else's add-on edited in:

PWE stands at a desk collecting $200 per person and hands out the rewards that its loyal customers earned, while laughing at the 1000-day vets. She then detatches her jaw and swallows a puppy whole.

Disturbing, isn't it? :rolleyes:

And for those who say that 1000 day vets are just whining when in fact they didn't play the game for most of that time, what about the people who did? There are people who stayed loyal and earned those rewards only to have them poofed away to the next happy-go-lucky person in line. And I thought the 1000 day ships would be an at least somewhat rare and cool sight. Could I have been more wrong? Cough up $200 bucks and you can get everything served to you on a silver platter.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • adamk82adamk82 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    .... you are so creative at getting money from people, but this is a new low. I've lost all motivation to play this game.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Here's another metaphor:

STO is a building with 1000 flights of stairs. At the bottom is the game launch. The vets buy their subscriptions, and go up the stairs. They loyally continue up, paying along to way and keep going. They get rewarded for staying on. And finally, at the very top floor, they finish. They are handed the final reward for climbing the whole 1000 floors. And then the elevator door on the far side of the room opens and a whole bunch of people who paid a quick fee at the bottom pick up all the prizes the other people earned. And the real vets are left with nothing for their loyalty and perseverence.

Next thing you know PWE's going to just knock over the building and kill STO altogether.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.