Install Arc
Options

Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate Problem

Comments

• Options
    bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited August 2012
    escapay14 wrote: »
    Essentially, what you need to do IS get your PC to release the IP as well as your router/modem. An alternative to unplugging your modem is if your modem or router (can't remember which) thinks you've connected a new device (i.e. get your pc to release it's IP and get a new one by tricking your modem into thinking it's a new device-but that part I'm not clear on) it should give you a new IP. That's the other way I know of to get a new IP other than disconnecting your modem for however long it takes for it to pick up a new IP when plugged back in (usually at the very least 8 hrs often times it's more). But again, I'm not really clear on how it would be done, just know it's another way to get a new IP (vaguely as you can see). Hope that helps someone research how to do it if they don't want to unplug their modem.

I tried ipconfig /release. That didn't work
  • Options
    escapay14escapay14 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bohiap wrote: »
    I tried ipconfig /release. That didn't work

It won't work. That's not what I said would work (or did work in my case a few others in here). You need a new IP, what I'm not clear on is if you need a new IP for modem and PC or one or the other. If you read you will see you do that THEN turn your modem off until you can get a new IP when you reconnect (usually 8 or more hrs).
  • Options
    bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Methos I live at home and the powers that be would not let me disconnect the Internet for 8 hrs. I am glad you are in but I am not going to jump through all these hoops for a stupid game, if they can't fix it to allow me to log in just as I always did before then I am out! This whole experience has been a major turn off, lack of support etc. So I guess because their system is broken and disconnecting the Internet for hours at a time isn't an option I can't play the game ever again! Ridiculous!
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    bannon3 wrote: »
    Methos I live at home and the powers that be would not let me disconnect the Internet for 8 hrs. I am glad you are in but I am not going to jump through all these hoops for a stupid game, if they can't fix it to allow me to log in just as I always did before then I am out! This whole experience has been a major turn off, lack of support etc. So I guess because their system is broken and disconnecting the Internet for hours at a time isn't an option I can't play the game ever again! Ridiculous!

^^This. I'm on a shared connection. I managed to delete the sto.exe and can't restore it. I tried to re-download the game and my connection gave me and estimate time over 5 hours. I don't even think I'll be able to.
  • Options
    escapay14escapay14 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Bannon try looking up something about a mac address and forcing your router to think a new device has been connected to get a new IP without having to disconnect the modem. I'm not sure how to do it, I just know that's a starting point for it. Sorry I can't be of much more help than that and I hope you can figure out the solution. Do you have access to managing your router? Cuz I think that's where you have access to change the mac address (via a browser). I want to say you can copy the mac address that is on your pc into the router mac address and it should force the router to get a new IP, but I'm not positive and I'm pretty sure if that's wrong and you do it you can really TRIBBLE things up. Hence me saying you should Google it and d some research.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    dont redownload the entire game, have someone you know thats playing the game currently send you his/her Star Trek Online.exe

that fixed the problem for me and my friend.

- William@chandlerashari
    Joint Chief, Starfleet Medical Command

Is there a way you'd be able to send it to me? I don't have a way to connect to anybody in game.
  • Options
    sebastianmalvoliosebastianmalvolio Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ok...rechecked the program logs for STO on my comp. here's what i got so far...

"HTTP patching disconnected from stohttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80: socket was shutdown(0:No error)"

still don't know what it means....but the log in screen just popped up for me....attempting to log in now......success.....ok, so how do i explain this?

i accessed the game files on my pc. i clicky'd the Star trek online file icon. clickied the live file. clickied the logs file. clicky'd the game client file. clickied down the list (which pops up notepad windows with data). scanned the data there looking for abnormalities (anything that looks out of place with the regular log orders) found the above entry during the interval i was trying to launch the game (ya know, little white box, annoying oops popup when it failed to load). quite a few program files that you are not able to access, but that's ok....prevents us from TRIBBLE up our pc's. while randomly trying to access these forbidden areas, viola! game launcher comes up...and i'm back in business....

maybe i accedentally jogged the hogg files memory.....i don't know.

"Boy....Don't tell me about how "ubergodleet" you think you are. I was playing games long before you were even a twinkle in your daddy's eye....ever hear of Commodore or Ti99? Yeah....it's like that."
  • Options
    chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If I go to the download link without uninstalling any files would it try to download the whole thing and rewrite everything? Is there a file I should delete so it downloads a new copy without needing to spend all night re-downloading the whole game?
    Is there a way you'd be able to send it to me? I don't have a way to connect to anybody in game.

pm me your email man
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Well I went for it overnight and what do you know? The launcher popped right up and is patching, although it says I dont have javascript enabled? I have Java installed and running, so I dont know what that means, so far it isnt hindering anything. I am not getting my hopes up it could just break again tomorrow.

Okay I am in and all seems good, methos you can add me as a buddy I have several chars but use Ransom@Race1 that way I will be in there no matter who I log on with!
  • Options
    sifulch2sifulch2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Tryed to login tonight with no luck was working great this morning :confused:
  • Options
    thomasthewolf80thomasthewolf80 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hey there man yes i do know the commador and even vic 20 pc however im having the same problem with my launcher not opening or even launching i cant seem to find the file yourself looked at i found a few things however i dont know what to move get rid of or fix to make this work any help would be great i mean this happend to me 2 months ago also it took 3 weeks then all of a sudden it worked im at aloss lol 2nd time in three months
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Well my victory was short lived, I can get into the game even did an event now when I try to enter an explore mission or go to the fleet base I get a Server Disconnect with an Idle Connection or something, this game is just plain broken. I think I am done with it.
  • Options
    lunamariacelestlunamariacelest Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Good lord I can't believe this problem has been going on for 16 days for other people and my grieving over it for the last 4 hours seems insignificant now. Been reading the whole thread hoping for a solution. I was about to go as far as reinstalling the game only to see others have tried it as well to no avail.
    For a few days now, every time I log off to switch characters, there would be times the game would just hang then inform me that it could not connect to the account server and repeated logins would show the same message. I usually just rectify the problem by exiting then restarting the client. It is only now that the launcher has continuously failed to connect and bypassing it by clicking the gameclient.exe in the folders didnt help at all. The game would run but it would not connect at all.

Now we all know its not the ISP's fault coz alot here from different places had experienced the same problem.
    At first I thought that it might be my account itself that has a problem. So to test stuff out, I bypassed the launcher and click gameclient.exe itself. I logged in and then tried logging in my friend's account (which he gave to me since he doesnt play anymore) and same problem.
    I only have a PW account but one thing i noticed was that i would click on cryptic account on purpose just to see what happens when logging in. It doesnt even tell me that I dont have a Cryptic account or even verify my account name n password at all.
    Something is stopping their servers from getting my info. ANd its definitely in their system and not ours. That is what the devs should focus on. Whatever that thing is.

I hope the devs take a more direct action towards this problem already and not just wait to read on tickets and give out generic responses
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Hello im still not able to get my launcher to open update or anything it keeps timing out i downloaded the exe file from rapid share like it said and still no love this is not the first time this has happend 2 months ago i was off sto for 3 weeks due to this same error ive reinstalled reset all my ip configs and everything even did a system restore to before the launcher messed up still wont connect it keeps saying internet connection but thats not it obviously or i wouldnt be here lol but really what happend to me it seems like a blind blanket ip ban or something and im not the only one as you can see so its not all of our programs at once it has to be something on thier end just reset your servers and try again or something guys and yeah the generic replies kill me you tell them wats wrong and they tell you to do things you cant do even if you wanted too i mean force verify ok the launcher wont open let alone let me change settings lol
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    After my last post the lightbulb went on and I remembered a trick from before, I enabled the Proxy and the game seems to be fine for now.......................................
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    ok but how do i activate the proxy and all if i cant get my launcher to open ? if you could please help me with this im not sure how cause i use a 3g device so as far as waiting on my ip to get picked up i have no idea how that works but if you could help me i would be greatfull you can email me at thomasthewolf@live.com please and thank you and if it works and im back online ill make it up to you with items or something we will talk about it i hope lol
  • Options
    methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well I went for it overnight and what do you know? The launcher popped right up and is patching, although it says I dont have javascript enabled? I have Java installed and running, so I dont know what that means, so far it isnt hindering anything. I am not getting my hopes up it could just break again tomorrow.

Okay I am in and all seems good, methos you can add me as a buddy I have several chars but use Ransom@Race1 that way I will be in there no matter who I log on with!
    Well my victory was short lived, I can get into the game even did an event now when I try to enter an explore mission or go to the fleet base I get a Server Disconnect with an Idle Connection or something, this game is just plain broken. I think I am done with it.

Bannon3, with any luck, enabling Javascript will resolve the last glitch you described. To enable Javascript, go into Internet Explorer, click on the gear in the upper right hand corner, scroll down and open 'Internet Options', click on the 'Security' tab, make sure you have the 'Internet' icon (earth) highlighted, then click on the 'Custom Level' radio button, then scroll down to the 'Scripting' section (very near to the bottom of that list) and look for 'Scripting of Java applets' and make sure that circle is filled. Then click 'ok', then 'apply' and another 'ok' to exit.

Not sure if all that will help, but from what I've read, STO does somehow use Javascript. Best to make sure it's running anyhow.

I'll make sure to add you, if I'm able to get back in today. I got in twice yesterday (once for about 9 hours and then again for about 3 more). Funny thing about the second login...that little white 'Cryptic Autoupdate Launcher' window popped up and said 'Trying to update the launcher...Tried connecting 1 time.' and then the login launcher popped up as it should. Literally happened so quickly that if I had blinked, I would've missed it. Still about gave me a heart attack when I saw that nasty bit again, if only for a second!

As for this problem, in general, it's disturbing to note that this problem seems to be growing. This thread is nearly at 40 pages now. For a while, it seemed like it was just Bannon3, Averydd and I knocking heads trying to solve this. Yet, since I was able to connect, night before last, quite a few new folk have sadly popped into this thread.

Whatever user-side workarounds there might be, whether changing IP addresses or getting a buddy's functioning STO.exe, the very root of this problem is pretty clearly on Cryptic/PWE's end. From everything I have gathered, over the course of a little over the past 2 weeks, this has been an on again, off again problem since this game launched in 2010! It would behoove Cryptic/PWE to put an end to this problem, once and for all.
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

• Options
    realuniqueonerealuniqueone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    IT'S DEAD JIM!

I have proxy already enabled, but still can't open the launcher today.
    >>> UniqueOne - Providing you with easy PVP kills since Feb 2012 <<<
  • Options
    ncc53702ncc53702 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    wahaha! whats going on here?
    there are posts spawning like hell!

i still have the suspicion that Cryptic/PWE is kinda blocking some of the ip?s...

the problem with the whole "ipconfig"-issue is that this will only result in giving you a new local ip adress if you are behind a router. i don?t quite know about how this works on a coble modem as i never had one but the usual way to connect to the internet is like this:

you have a box connected to the connector in the wall, this is usually (if you have a dsl connection) a dsl modem, might be a combination of dsl modem and router. this device (or, if it is not a combination of modem and router the router connected to this instead) will hand out local ip?s for the intranet, LAN. it gets however 2 ip?s: one lokal for your LAN and one public for your WAN access (World area network vs. Lokal area network) from your ISP.
    i think that maybe Cryptic/PWE is blocking some of these ip?s as i could reconnect after my dsl modem got a new public ip from my ISP (and some of the others here too).

The tricky part is to get a new public ip or even verify that you have the same one you had when this issue started. you can determine your public ip on some webpages like http://www.whatsmyip.org/ or by going to your dsl-modems web-frontend (usually to find via 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, may be different on your configurations).

you can log on to the device and do a short dis- and reconnect there. it might be possible that you can tell the device to get a new ip.
  • Options
    ncc53702ncc53702 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    IT'S DEAD JIM!

I have proxy already enabled, but still can't open the launcher today.

yes, apropos proxy:

have you tried to route your whole internet connection over a proxy?
    i think this can be done like described here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-mask-yourself-online-use-a-fake-ip-address/ *not tested*

i remember someone wrote that he could connect via his smartphone - this would be logical as this is another WAN-connection and has another public ip...
  • Options
    speedofheatspeedofheat Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I now have the same problem ... :(
    y3m-yM6W2jBAA7NpYi95PewTOHD9vSNpFGl3huKvuKsGif7jH9lBSYRtnx-AxOUzQw00u0SrjnMeAt0McFsPmCC2FoawxgX3ZON4Ork7H39MCRYsgBUn0QYSADDqYpB6wB5twq-_jNOp7AdrNeItQjiXChE9kwGvBsqc-vTz7oj3YM?width=660&height=198&cropmode=none
  • Options
    averyddaverydd Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just had a message from Tech Support saying thank you for the info and our engineers are investigating the issue. Now thats all well and good but I see, thanks for the info but your going be out for a long time, hoping I can get a new IP on Monday when the lease tries to renew, so my router will be off from Saturday night until Monday night maybe tuesday as i'll be out so no biggy, but god help my ISP if I get the same IP address!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran
  • Options
    dizfrazedizfraze Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have the same problem with the launcher since yesterday. I did my daily Doff in the morning but afetr 4 pm I try to connect and my launcher got an error I havent be able to log ing since there I try replacing my launcher and reinstalling the game but by now nothing happens

changin the IP appears a very drastic measure why are we the ones who had to try the game when we all know is cryptic problem. why should we have to search for solutions? when they are the ones who hads to fix it?

even if we have the F2P account I had speand real money in the game. Two weeks ago I had problems with laging its very fustraring trying to play a game that the own owners dont give a TRIBBLE about for the player who by the way are the costumers and what to say about only one server for the game when I see every other game with 6 or 7 servers and no connections problem

Star trek community is big enough to get a better service for their money why even thing about of buying the Gold membership and pay lots of money when dont even know if the game is going to work the nex morning. but we as a player are to blame because we cant get the point across very clear to the programers and have to put up with all this because its nothing out there to fill out our need to watch star trek .

really if there were another game or tv series with the name star trek that had just a litte better service we forget this game quick

seriusly guys of cryptic if are reading this and I really hope you do, we just want to play every time we want as long as we want or wan to pay for all those items that arent even in the show but how can we If we can even log in its a really bad problem the kind of problem that drive players away

and because of that Im looking for another MMORPG that want my money and my time because for the looks of this and other players in the same situations I DONT KNOW WHEN IM GOING TO PLAY GAIN because of the problem

We all hope the problem FIX but if not I will find another game.
  • Options
    questroquestro Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Im having the same problem. Read the all the other posts and alot of there fixes didnt seam to hold up ive tried some of them and no joy, AND realy u cant even get it to the luancher to force verify and proxy, but i already had force verify on. Im on satilite wondering if cryptic is blocking all sat players would like to know if others are sat to and blocked. Also i went into gameclient and tryied that way it took the login info and went to load but droped back out to the login in screen. all other internet and games work fine. THIS IS DEFINATELY A CRYPTIC PROBLEM. this isnt the fist time this problems happend to me or others apperantly, I had to reload the entire game 3 diffrent times im not doing it again cryptic needs to fix this problem nobodys gona put up with this every couple of months no mater how much they like startrek
  • Options
    aldouscaldousc Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I cannot connect too. The posted solution does not work.
  • Options
    lordkundolordkundo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    well. im guessing that perfect world doesnt want me to spend any more money on this game. i mean i was playing last night just fine, and when i wake up this morning i cant connect to the game. i suppose some gremlins must have gotten on my computer and screwed something up, cause im sure it cant be a problem with perfect worlds stuff right.
  • Options
    boneidolboneidol Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i started getting the same problem at 4:30ish(UK time) this morning, the game was running as well as it normally does, i logged out and got the 'cryptic launcher autoupdate trying to update' message when i tried to log back in. ive tried everything i could find to fix this but to no avail:(
  • Options
    wally30wally30 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i am having the same issues as everyone else patcher doesnt load and sticks

before trying any stuff on my pc i hooked up my laptop where i have the game also intalled , used a different internet service and connection method and still nothing .

So now i am worried
    I guess that something is wrong with cryptic handling accounts or that the whole server is down.

the first one most probably and thats what worries me cryptic is not giving any answers

i dont think thet the issues that are showing up have anything to do with our pcs its all on cryptic's side

anyways i just want it fixed to keep playing
  • Options
    bigstu13bigstu13 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is happening to me also, was ok on Monday but nothing now.

Dam annoying.
  • Options
    bobbins101bobbins101 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    And the same here, after reading only a handfull of the replys(only a few because i am incrdibly dim) I am worried, sounds like this is a problem across the whole game. I'm not very good with computers so all i can say is; Bad Game...very bad game!

sort yourselves out or you will lose players, and some of these are pretty good.