What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate Problem

Comments

• Options
    speedofheatspeedofheat Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is not a launcher issue the reason I know that is that I have been using a hotel internet connection for the last week (albeit it worked fine for the first few days) I brought my laptop home today and it connected just fine using the old launcher....

This squat to do with any setting on your PC or anything under your direct control, and to be fair it may not even be under Cryptics direct control and does seem to relate to the way your PC resolves its route to the patch servers via DNS...

my laptop is patching as I type this... oh and Cogentco is still in its tracert...
    y3m-yM6W2jBAA7NpYi95PewTOHD9vSNpFGl3huKvuKsGif7jH9lBSYRtnx-AxOUzQw00u0SrjnMeAt0McFsPmCC2FoawxgX3ZON4Ork7H39MCRYsgBUn0QYSADDqYpB6wB5twq-_jNOp7AdrNeItQjiXChE9kwGvBsqc-vTz7oj3YM?width=660&height=198&cropmode=none
  • Options
    dirtyfernadezdirtyfernadez Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    haha what a **** game, i playd yesterday for 3h. then i got disconnectet and have the same problem here cant log in anymore.

haha and the support team must be 12 years old, becuse so many player cant connect and they arent able to fix this issue.

bad support team, fix this your *****!!!
  • Options
    averyddaverydd Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Its been almost 3 weeks since I've been able to log in to the game because of the bug listed in this thread,

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=352481

Now I'm wondering whether anyone gives a damn about us anymore as I have stopped receiving updates from tech support and no one seems to want to take ownership of the issue.

Please could someone check with the Tech Support team and just find out what's happening, when we're getting a fix and why this happened to start with?

I been in STO from the beginning and dont want to leave but this is a dealbreaking issue PWE/Crpytic, please help us come back to the game and no ostracise us for your mistakes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    As each day passes I get more and more annoyed as nobody is taking ownership of the issue. Tech support could be investigating this for months whilst we're stuck with nothing but cut and paste responses. I've done everything possible to sort this out, new router, formatted my machines and I'll even sacrifice devs to the server god to get it fixed lol.

It wouldnt bother me as much if someone came on, and said "Yeah it's our fault, we're fixing it, give us 2 weeks and you'll be back"

I just want a sorry and a timescale thats all.

Rant over :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    boneidolboneidol Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=373291 try this...i wasnt holding out any hope of it working but im patching right now!! got to be worth a try.
    i also changed my IP address too
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I tried each weeks launcher none of the have worked. PWE/Cryptic must be blocking IP's no other way to explain the issue. Whether they're blocking specific IP's or a broad series of them I don't know but what I know is if this isn't resolve soon or at least acknowledged publicly as an issue I'll be going as I'm sick of tech support saying it must be you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    strokeofluckstrokeofluck Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm patching via the new posted launcher. I tried all the other launchers and failed, this one is currently working for me. I tried 4 times today before using the new posted launcher that failed. Tried the new one, went straight to the login screen. Just verified my IP has not changed, it's the same as it has been.
  • Options
    cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Try this:

Go to internet options and set the thing to use google's DNS

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 .

It seems that you're having issues with your ISP's DNS service. I had this issue a long time ago with similar problems (though not with STO) and it fixed it.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Tried that 3 weeks ago and it didn't work
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    kirash1979kirash1979 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well like I said, I'm back in game now finally. I did a force IP change by leaving my wireless router and modem off for 12+ hours while I was at work and my girlfriend was asleep. As soon as I fired it back up, I went to the Command Prompt (cmd) and did ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew -- I started up STO. For a moment, it looked like it was going to keep giving me the same problems, but I waited and after one reconnection try, it loaded the patcher right up and downloaded the most recent patch.

I don't know how many of you this will work for, but it's worked for me and several other people. This was after two to three weeks of not being able to load up the patcher. I'm pretty sure you don't have to do the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew after plugging your modem back in, but I just did it for good measure. The important thing is to force your ISP to issue you a new IP address by leaving your modem off for 8+ hours. If you are like me and can't do this while you are awake, do it while you are sleeping or at work.

P.S. If any of you disgruntled people get back in game anytime soon, hit me up on @Kirash and let's make a Disgruntled Starfleet Officers fleet like someone mentioned :P
  • Options
    psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It patched 4 gigs, got to the login screen, timed out, now it's downloading/patching nearly 6 gigs. Baring crashes to desktop it worked yesterday.

Of all the MMO games I've played this has the worst quality servers. I've been playing since beta and it still feels like the beta is going on. The game itself is good but is overshadowing by the hassle in running the ****ing thing.
  • Options
    jmazurjmazur Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well this just sucks... this problem arose after patching and closing the launcher after a few gaming hours about a week ago. I've been having internet problems this past week, mainly on Verizon's side of things, but it's back up and running. I would attempt to open the launcher, and after around a minute it would give me an error message reading: "Unable to establish connection to Patch Server. Please check your Internet connection." Uninstalling the game and re-patching would do the trick, but I consider that to be a last resort for obvious reasons.

I've downloaded a suggested launcher but even that's not working. I must say I'm thoroughly disappointed by Cryptic's negligence in solving this issue with all of it's players. Here we are, stranded and having to resort to changing our IPs while they're bringing out more and more useless, high-priced and quite frankly ugly uniforms. Something wrong here? Or is it just me?
  • Options
    simonpgrubersimonpgruber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    somebody posted a working launcher

http://www.mediafire.com/?up396k3c0ufgkcx

worked for me.
  • Options
    sogdog666sogdog666 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Awesome! I am currently patching the game after using this .exe.

Lets hope the goodness lasts.
  • Options
    hofydoghofydog Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hi everyone, I've been following this forum for the last few days. I lost my connection on Aug 28. I have done everything that has been suggested on this forum, to include following some of the links posted which I normally never do because I am paranoid of malware. The thing I am scratching my head about is how my son's computer (running windows 7 and connected wirelessly to my router) is having no problems connecting, whereas my computer (running XP and hard wired to my router) is not connecting. I am going to try one more hair-brained theory and connect my computer to my router using wireless. I am wondering if the last patch that was done may interfere with certain routers. Or maybe it has something to do with the OS? I don't know. I'm at my wits end with this. I'm about ready to give up, and my son (who is a Gold Member) is thinking of quiting out of protest. What REALLY baffles me, is how this can be happening at all. Your average game player isn't this computer savvy. They just want to load the game and play. They are going to lose a lot of business if this keeps happening. I was really enjoying the game too.
  • Options
    bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    averydd wrote: »
    As each day passes I get more and more annoyed as nobody is taking ownership of the issue. Tech support could be investigating this for months whilst we're stuck with nothing but cut and paste responses. I've done everything possible to sort this out, new router, formatted my machines and I'll even sacrifice devs to the server god to get it fixed lol.

It wouldnt bother me as much if someone came on, and said "Yeah it's our fault, we're fixing it, give us 2 weeks and you'll be back"

I just want a sorry and a timescale thats all.

Rant over :)

Maybe you missed my post Avery but support told me politely to get lost, we can no longer assist you blah blah, send a message to Q&A! Unreal
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • Options
    simonpgrubersimonpgruber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    go to page 45 of this thread, I reposted the solution. it is a new launcher exe
  • Options
    miloguymiloguy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i have a question

i really appreciate people giving advice here etc
    but for those people who are not tech savvy m how are they going to download this
    run that etc?
    cant they , criptic, pwe or who ever re do the launcher some how

i mean theirs a heck of a lot op people with this trouble.. cant all be our modems/routers isps??

just some thoughts, not being nasty or annoying ,just thinking out loud

it seemst to want to run on my laptop, which is wierd ,i can get into the game and play from the laptops
    launcher, i tried copying the launcher to my pc but it still crashed on my pc
    so im re downloading the game launcher from this site,

i just tried the game on my laptop, and im in... strange , strange , strange!!!!!!

see how it goes 5 hrs from now when i re download the launcher

ive also checked my fire walls too no problems there??
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Tried it and it didn't work. I've copied my son's launcher, downloaded it from his game disc, downloaded it from multiple sites. I've cycled my modems and routers, changing both the IP from my ISP as well as changing my LAN IP's numerous times, as well as bypassing the router and going straight to the modem. Throughout all of this, I have shut down firewall's and anti-virus to prevent interference. I have done a system restore to a point before any of this happened. I have wasted about 18 hours on this since it started, which is time I don't normally have to waste. By the way, I have worked 17 yrs in Communication Electronic Maintenance in the Marines, so I am no stranger to this type of trouble shooting. I plan on spit balling with my computer repair shop and the tech-controllers next week about this problem. This entire thing is simply unsat. I'm wondering if your using that client had more to do with luck. I wish I had some luck right about now.
  • Options
    macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Simon some people here are experiencing a different problem than what you had, your "solution" does not work for them and will never work for them.

Your error was "Patchclient in a state with no response function" ours will not connect
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
  • Options
    jmazurjmazur Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The launcher Simonpgruber published is working for me, and my game is now updating. Hopefully this launcher will continue to work. I suggest the rest of you to download and try it out. Just copy and paste the newly downloaded .exe to your STO directory, which is by default: C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios

Once the launcher is open, it may take a few minutes for the patch to actually begin downloading.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    just wondering for those that can player , are there many people online in the game still or is it less croweded ?

i think pwe etc need to put something up on the launcher to say some people may have trouble logging in or what ever , and i think for a company as big as these guys need to get off there behinds and figure this out

how can it be happening to so many people , and especially would be peeved if you put money into this game , ie zen and subscriptions , to not to be able to play it..

must be some thing some where some how to go wrong... :confused:
  • Options
    s1hunters1hunter Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ty simonpgruber that helped a lot so far ive been using another launcher from http://www.mediafire.com/?au9ssbhu7j222fa hoe it helps all now i have to patch alottt ...
    -.- have fun guys n enjoy :)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    if you have anything like team viewer or remote hosting on the pc,
    try disabling that, it might help you as i said in my post
    seems to have fixed my logging in issues with the launcher

may work for some, may not, Ill try more tomorrow to see if its still working]

i do see in game its not as crowded, maybe cause of this logging in issues
  • Options
    macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ok there are two conflicting issues in this thread I'd like to clarify

The original posters and 4 or 5 of us were getting a no connect error

Right after the last patch a bunch of people jumped in with a different error specifically this one "Patchclient in a state with no response function" this is fixed by using an updated sto exe file. This is not the original issue of this thread ours has to do with some routing issue or STO blanket banning certain IPs

You can see while you believe you are helping us we (the original posters) have a completely different error and replacing this file will not help us, in fact STO has pretty much told us to go away.
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    macfelly wrote: »
    Ok there are two conflicting issues in this thread I'd like to clarify

The original posters and 4 or 5 of us were getting a no connect error

Right after the last patch a bunch of people jumped in with a different error specifically this one "Patchclient in a state with no response function" this is fixed by using an updated sto exe file. This is not the original issue of this thread ours has to do with some routing issue or STO blanket banning certain IPs

You can see while you believe you are helping us we (the original posters) have a completely different error and replacing this file will not help us, in fact STO has pretty much told us to go away.

Yup! That is exactly my problem. But mine says only one time.
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It seems that you're having issues with your ISP's DNS service. I had this issue a long time ago with similar problems (though not with STO) and it fixed it.

this is NOT a DNS issue. this is something wrong on cryptics end
    somebody posted a working launcher

http://www.mediafire.com/?up396k3c0ufgkcx

worked for me.

sounds like an attempt to get peoples login details by giving them an altered or infected exe file
  • Options
    jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    For the first time ever this launcher is taking AGES to load up and when it eventually does I get "Unable to Authenticate".

Intel i5 3750k 3.4ghz
    GTX260 Nvidia
    8GB DDR3 Memory
    Windows 7
    Game installed on SSD drive.

This was working fine til I tried loading it up after last update.
  • Options
    jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, when I tried the tracert it just popped up "timed out" over and over, it does that for every website I could think of to type in though. I assume that has something to do with my ISP.

HOLY TRIBBLE

Just done that myself and you wasn't kidding.

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 12 ms 10 ms 13 ms cpc1-sout7-2-0-gw.basl.cable.virginmedia.com [94
    .168.116.1]
    2 8 ms 10 ms 10 ms sout-geam-1a-ge211.network.virginmedia.net [81.9
    6.1.233]
    3 9 ms 10 ms 7 ms basl-core-1b-tenge71.network.virginmedia.net [62
    .30.243.77]
    4 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms basl-core-2b-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [195.
    182.178.113]
    5 139 ms 19 ms 8 ms popl-bb-1b-ae11-0.network.virginmedia.net [81.96
    .0.149]
    6 11 ms 13 ms 13 ms popl-bb-1a-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.10
    5.174.229]
    7 12 ms 10 ms 11 ms brnt-bb-1b-as4-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.255
    .81.238]
    8 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms brnt-tmr-1-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.10
    5.159.50]
    9 12 ms 11 ms 14 ms telc-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.
    185.74]
    10 55 ms 198 ms 199 ms te1-3.ccr01.lon04.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.15
    .69]
    11 109 ms * 105 ms te0-2-0-4.ccr22.lon01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .38.69]
    12 * 107 ms 106 ms te0-4-0-5.mpd22.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [130.11
    7.0.246]
    13 * 105 ms * te0-7-0-10.mpd22.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.5
    4.42.53]
    14 * 106 ms * te0-3-0-5.ccr21.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .44.34]
    15 * * 167 ms te3-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.46.
    134]
    16 114 ms 106 ms 107 ms 38.111.40.114
    17 106 ms * 103 ms 208.95.185.41
  • Options
    zer0of0nezer0of0ne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Partial solution is run old (function backup) launcher with command:

"Star Trek Online.exe" -dontautopatch

And sometimes try if corrected functional version released (run without -dontautopatch)