test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 6 Foundry Maintenance Timeline

Comments

• pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2012
    Hi Captains,

We're getting closer to having the Foundry back up, and we will continue to update this thread as updates become available, but we need to delay this week's Spotlight on the Foundry again (an extra apology to the author for their understanding). Even if it does come back up today (not saying it is scheduled to do that, or will, or won't, just saying :)), I'd like to give the author a chance to run through it to see if they'd like to change anything due to of some of the new features and changes Season 6 introduced. So sorry, and we appreciate your understanding and continue patience.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2012
    Frustratingly non-specific. /sigh. Oh well I'm out of town this weekend anyway.

In any case. I think delaying the spotlight goes without saying BranFlakes. Broadcast UGC, Bitesize UGC and Primetime UGC have had to delay their broadcasts as well. Logically you just can't do these things without the Foundry up and running.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hi Captains,

We're getting closer to having the Foundry back up, and we will continue to update this thread as updates become available, but we need to delay this week's Spotlight on the Foundry again (an extra apology to the author for their understanding). Even if it does come back up today (not saying it is scheduled to do that, or will, or won't, just saying :)), I'd like to give the author a chance to run through it to see if they'd like to change anything due to of some of the new features and changes Season 6 introduced. So sorry, and we appreciate your understanding and continue patience.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

With all due respect, you guys have been saying this every couple of days for the last week. At this point, just let us authors know when the Foundry is up, missions republish, and unlocked for play, so those of us authors who are interested can go check how the republish went for our missions.

(And you overuse 'close', because again, we've been 'close' since the day Season 6 launched according to you, Salami, and Zero.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,148 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    With all due respect, you guys have been saying this every couple of days for the last week. At this point, just let us authors know when the Foundry is up, missions republish, and unlocked for play, so those of us authors who are interested can go check how the republish went for our missions.

(And you overuse 'close', because again, we've been 'close' since the day Season 6 launched according to you, Salami, and Zero.)

what he said!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • j4ck5p4rr0wj4ck5p4rr0w Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hi Captains,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

More standard PR speak that doesnt really tell us anything. Why am I not surprised :rolleyes:
  • toslover#1432 toslover Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    One thing I've been wondering over the last couple days...

When you guys happen to finish everything with the Foundry and turn it on for editing and all that, will it just be like flicking a switch (i.e. we won't know about it until we log on or until you tell us) or will it require a patch (i.e. we won't know about it until you tell us or we check the release notes)?

'Cause, if it's the former, it'd be nice to know so I and others won't need to get overly excited every time we see a new patch is being applied. :) But if it's the latter, then I'd like to know so I and others can keep up this feeling of potential excitement when we see "and to apply a new patch" every time maintenance is performed. :D

Thanks in advance for any replies! :cool: Kudos on the update as well!
    2rbz410.jpg
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Really looking forward to the return of the foundry, have been missing that 1440 dilithium.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • xxxseadog117xxxxxxseadog117xxx Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I really want the foundry to be up. Can you developers hurry up please? :)
    Kurland Here Kurland Here This is Kurland Kurland Kurland Here Kurland, Do you copy?

chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Here's a Tissue for your Issue.
  • fereng1fiendfereng1fiend Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There is really no excuse for this kind of downtime when we have a test server.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guess who's back...back again!
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2012
    Update from out Lead Programmer:
    rehpic wrote: »
    We have found several more bugs after yesterday's build went live. It is going to take us a bit longer to get them fixed, tested and into a release build.

Please know that the team is working very hard to get the Foundry back up, but want to make sure that everything is in working order before we do.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited July 2012
    Update from out Lead Programmer:

Please know that the team is working very hard to get the Foundry back up, but want to make sure that everything is in working order before we do.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Why didnt they get this sorted out on tribble?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• captainransomcaptainransom Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No worries. I think we all expect a few bugs here and there for the next week...
    And can you slide in a science buff to gravity well? :D
    giphy.gif

"It's easy to cling to principles when you're standing on a vessel with its bulkheads intact, manned by a crew that's not starving."

• drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2012

Probably cause they didn't do any mission republishing on Tribble. After the mission wipe, hardly anyone bothered to make or remake missions there.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited July 2012
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Probably cause they didn't do any mission republishing on Tribble. After the mission wipe, hardly anyone bothered to make or remake missions there.

So your saying the devs couldnt have copied a test group of missions from holodeck to tribble for this purpose?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• phase325phase325 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If they were to offer a compensation for down time item, joking a side (as I know people will put childish answers to this)...

What would that item be? extra foundry slots? Title? (eg Achitect?) A tool belt costume part for casual wear (lol),

If we were to assume that they would compensate for down time of the foundry, In all seriousness what would you suggest as compensation ?

(dont respond with : " They wont! " as I already know this, I just would like suggestions. )
    HAMMER SQUADRON
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I'm not a programmer, but I doubt they could account for the huge number of permutations on missions that can occur in the Foundry. Unless they had a server they could actually have go through the FULL republishing process under game conditions, with all of the available missions, I'm not sure they could've tested it in full on Tribble. I don't think copying just a few missions would've done it.

I think the only way to have avoided this would've been to do a full-scale republishing on Tribble--copying EVERY mission on Holodeck and going through the full process on Tribble.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited July 2012
    gulberat wrote: »
    I think the only way to have avoided this would've been to do a full-scale republishing on Tribble--copying EVERY mission on Holodeck and going through the full process on Tribble.

I highly doubt that. Even 1/4 of them would have probably been enough.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So your saying the devs couldnt have copied a test group of missions from holodeck to tribble for this purpose?

From what I understand, that's not really possible.

They aren't in a database the way a real mission might be.

When they copied missions from Tribble to Holodeck once, they almost had to go in and manually remake the missions.

I suspect it's very wrapped up in the account data of the author and the players. I don't think they're coded like standard missions. Then again, I don't think official Cryptic missions are coded like standard MMO missions... and I think THAT is part of why PWE shelled out so much money for Cryptic and was so excited about the engine. It's tied to why the character data footprint is so high in this game (hence why devs always talk about storage space) but also why Cryptic's games going back to CoH have a reputation for frying systems if players try to overclock their computer and ignore the system specs. (I remember Intel's benchmark test one year at a convention had Carmen Electra demonstrating that the new Intel could run two copies of City of Heroes at once. And it wasn't that CoH had the best graphics. It's that it had a reputation for being a CPU hog.)

Anyhoo... Theories aside... It's not really possible to port missions between servers. Last time they tried, it failed and they had to manually reassemble them.
    edited July 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks for not forgetting about us, Brandon! :) Thanks for the update as well! :cool:
    2rbz410.jpg
    edited July 2012
    When they copied missions from Tribble to Holodeck once, they almost had to go in and manually remake the missions.

Tribble to holodeck(what you are talking about) is completely different than holodeck to tribble(what I am talking about). They told is before that they cant transfer characters from tribble to holodeck, but we can easily transfer characters from holodeck to tribble. The reason they had such a hard time with those missions they ported was because they were going from tribble to holodeck, which once again, is not what I'm talking about.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This and the KDF lore consoles are still not working after the launch of season 6?! I took a break when S6 hit and would have thought at least one of those things would be fixed. Especially as the new lockboxes have come out.
  • chakittychakitty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Is there any way we can get an ETA on when the foundry missions will be republished and playable again? I know it may not be possible to say when that'll happen, but it would be nice to get a ballpark guesstamite so we know somewhere about when to expect things to be back up.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,148 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    any news at all?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • th3fer3ngifi3ndth3fer3ngifi3nd Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thay8472 wrote: »
    any news at all?

Its Sunday; of course not.
  • admiralthorr360admiralthorr360 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I can hardly wait for a bug fix. It feels like waiting for Christmas. Please can we open our present now PWE and have a giant gift-o-bug-fixes? Can we open our present now? Do we get dilithium for having no fundry? I mean it's like our candy was taken away from us. *sob sob*.

You said it wouldn't hurt! Worse then the Dentist you folks are ! :( Hmmph :mad:

We expect much yes we do!
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Sorry for the off-topic--but I was trying to get hold of stoleviathan99 and didn't see a PM option.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited July 2012
    It feels like waiting for Christmas. Please can we open our present now PWE and have a giant gift-o-bug-fixes? Can we open our present now? Do we get dilithium for having no fundry? I mean it's like our candy was taken away from us. *sob sob*.

I've been trying to think of analogies for this and I was thinking a holiday with gifts or a birthday (where one knows they have gifts coming, but can't open them yet), but I'd say, given what's happened [and this is definitely not meaning to offend Cryptic], but, with the way things have been going, it seems more like a parent punishing their child (i.e. "you can play with your new toys when we feel you've earned them.") 'Cause, at least with the first analogy, there's a finite date to go along with it, but, with the second one, there isn't one. It's completely up to the parent (i.e. Cryptic) as to when to decide to give the toys (i.e. the Foundry and everything new inside it) back to the child (i.e. the players).

I'm not trying to say that Cryptic is "punishing" us by keeping the Foundry off, I totally understand why they're doing it; it just seemed like one of the best analogies I could come up with for the situation. :)

Nevertheless, though, I will gladly wait for as long as it takes (hopefully not much longer...hehe)! I'm probably gonna spend so much time on the Foundry, my Fleet's gonna wonder where I've been! LOL :D
    2rbz410.jpg
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I, like others, would like to know when Foundry will be up, but we all know this will take time. However, there are other problems in game since Season 6 started up. The most obvious is the server stability went back down hill. Another, for the Klinks, is that the Lore Mission is not working. I know I have submitted my fair share of in-game bug reports, so how about when are these issues going to be looked at? :rolleyes:
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    I, like others, would like to know when Foundry will be up, but we all know this will take time. However, there are other problems in game since Season 6 started up. The most obvious is the server stability went back down hill. Another, for the Klinks, is that the Lore Mission is not working. I know I have submitted my fair share of in-game bug reports, so how about when are these issues going to be looked at? :rolleyes:

For the record, how many of these bugs were reported on Tribble? Maybe Cryptic should fix bugs on their test server before sending the bugs to Holodeck. Yes, I know it's not that simple, there's a fair chunk of code that the two servers don't share, and bugs are like a Hydra. Cut off one head and two more take it's place. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, I've got this idea for a Foundry mission but I can't do anything with it until the Foundy is back online. Can we please get an update on that? Pretty please? :D
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Laforge: captain I am running a level 1 diagnostic....
    Riker: for 20 hours......that is a level of incompetence that you are not capable of.

Enough said
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.