test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 6 Foundry Maintenance Timeline

Comments

• switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Sweet fancy moses cryptic, how bad can you possible be at getting your own game to work?

You haven't been playing long have you???? :(:(:(
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    the more complex a game is the more bugs it has.....

haven't you noticed that by now?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ychildychild Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    phase325 wrote: »
    It's day time for someone at any given time in STO, so doing it at any point on the clock would disrupt it for someone somewhere. Secondly, it had to be day time US as they needed to tie in with other networks / businesses etc.. so had to be done when each of them had staff in office.

I find it funny that some complain that there is not enough content in the game, and then on the flip side of that, there are people that complain when the servers are offline, while new content is put in.... they cant win..

For your information, I do know what it takes to test and update a network. Most of the time they do the testing and upgrading when it is later in the night, SO NOT MANY PEOPLE ARE INFECTED with the upgrading going on. For needing the only people because they are part, they are usually on the team. And that team is always on call when the upgrade is in process. Late night is the better time because there are that many people on the game unlike during the day.
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited July 2012
    I see we still don't have the foundry back! What are we meant to do in the meantime that does not involve grinding?
  • evileeyoreevileeyore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Sweet fancy moses cryptic, how bad can you possible be at getting your own game to work?

I'm a gonna just do a drive by here and say I've seen nothing but awesome coming from Cryptic. Thumbs up to the whole Cryptic team.
  • j4ck5p4rr0wj4ck5p4rr0w Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    evileeyore wrote: »
    I'm a gonna just do a drive by here and say I've seen nothing but awesome coming from Cryptic. Thumbs up to the whole Cryptic team.

LOL, great first post! I wonder which dev created this account?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    K. Rage aside, can we have our foundry back now?
  • tehibristehibris Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ychild wrote: »
    For your information, I do know what it takes to test and update a network. Most of the time they do the testing and upgrading when it is later in the night, SO NOT MANY PEOPLE ARE INFECTED with the upgrading going on. For needing the only people because they are part, they are usually on the team. And that team is always on call when the upgrade is in process. Late night is the better time because there are that many people on the game unlike during the day.

Firstly I'll assume you mean AFFECTED rather than infected (which infers being disease-ridden).

Secondly, define "late at night" in terms of a GLOBAL game, where individuals from across the world are logging in at all hours. Just because it's a good time for you doesn't mean it's a good time for someone in Australia, Europe, Japan, Brazil, etc.

Perhaps you'd prefer the upgrades don't get done, so we get no new stuff, no fixes/tweaks to existing stuff, and constant server crashes through lack of maintenance, so that everyone can have their playtime when it's good for them? 100% uptime is impossible, and they have to pick a time for maintenance; because this is a global game, this time is often shifted around the day to give others a chance to not be affected by the downtime.
  • phase325phase325 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Who said anything about networks.. by the way loving the "for your information" line... did you do the neck movement and the 'oh no he did'dunt' movement?... what you seem to be blissfully unaware of (apart from my point it seems).. is that I was not talking at all about network infrastructure, I was talking about alignment with credit card company's and other processes that tie into this game in the background. As for the ' not many people are infected ' line... firstly.. it's affected...and secondly... loving the capital letters.. so lets pick up your teddies that you have ejected from the stroller... and play nice. Also be aware I am a network administrator for the Royal Airforce... sorry should I have put that in caps??

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    HAMMER SQUADRON
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tehibris wrote: »
    Firstly I'll assume you mean AFFECTED rather than infected (which infers being disease-ridden).

I thought it inferred equiping a split beam rifle and avoiding the trigger lines....
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    I see we still don't have the foundry back! What are we meant to do in the meantime that does not involve grinding?
    Heheehee..... *points at sig*

The Tribble foundry is up if you REALLY want to play foundry misisons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • k4pt41nk4ng4r00k4pt41nk4ng4r00 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Honestly, I feel sorry for the devs. They obviously have no idea what they are doing.
  • mazikenmaziken Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm looking at this downtime in a good light. I was kind of getting burned out on creating Foundry missions and tweaking my existing ones. This downtime has allowed me to recharge and now I'm looking forward to diving back into the Foundry for hours at a time!
    edited July 2012
    maziken wrote: »
    I'm looking at this downtime in a good light. I was kind of getting burned out on creating Foundry missions and tweaking my existing ones. This downtime has allowed me to recharge and now I'm looking forward to diving back into the Foundry for hours at a time!

You think its a good thing that other people cant enjoy the foundry just because you were getting tired of it? Thats pretty selfish.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2012
    Slow down son. What he means is there are always silver linings. You know what I did during the Season 4 blackout? I got an entire script done for a Foundry mission that had been kicking my butt. When the Foundry came back online finishing the mission was a breeze. Sure I'd have got it done eventually, but the blackout did give me time to sit down and work through it without the distraction of building maps or working on other missions or whatever else.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • mazikenmaziken Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You think its a good thing that other people cant enjoy the foundry just because you were getting tired of it? Thats pretty selfish.

No, that's not what I meant. I was simply pointing out that there are other ways to look at this downtime, it isn't all bad. In fact, I would propose that this downtime really is more good than bad. It shows that Cryptic is learning form their past follies and want to provide us with a stable platform rather than giving us something that could collapse at any moment. They are working to fix the bugs and errors with the update to the Foundry.

I am not in the least bit selfish, I want the Foundry back up as much as anyone. I am just a lot more understanding and patient than other players, such as yourself, appear to be. I certainly don't go around making ignorant statement such as, "They obviously have no idea what they are doing" in reference to the developers working on the Foundry. In fact, it appears that they actually do know what they are doing since they haven't brought the Foundry back up full of broken missions. They are keeping it down while they iron everything out.

But then again, I don't have much in common with this new entitlement generation of kids.
  • pwemrpwemr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    maziken wrote: »
    No, that's not what I meant. I was simply pointing out that there are other ways to look at this downtime, it isn't all bad. In fact, I would propose that this downtime really is more good than bad. It shows that Cryptic is learning form their past follies and want to provide us with a stable platform rather than giving us something that could collapse at any moment. They are working to fix the bugs and errors with the update to the Foundry.

I am not in the least bit selfish, I want the Foundry back up as much as anyone. I am just a lot more understanding and patient than other players, such as yourself, appear to be. I certainly don't go around making ignorant statement such as, "They obviously have no idea what they are doing" in reference to the developers working on the Foundry. In fact, it appears that they actually do know what they are doing since they haven't brought the Foundry back up full of broken missions. They are keeping it down while they iron everything out.

But then again, I don't have much in common with this new entitlement generation of kids.

Glad there are people like you on these Forums, who prefer a long-awaited finished product rather then a buggy half-complete early-released nightmare.
  • sp4cecomm4ndersp4cecomm4nder Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    edited July 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • blademasterroninblademasterronin Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2012

One question: On an international platform, what time is night? As far as I know when you are dealing with a program that is accessed internationally there is no period of time in which it is late night for everyone.

Am I upset that the Foundry is still down? Yes, but I would rather they take the time to get it as close to right as they can before they bring it back up than for it to be bugged and unstable and missing maps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    99 bugs found in the code!
    99 bugs found in the code!
    Fix one bug!
    Compile it again!
    101 bugs found in the code!
    edited July 2012
    Am I upset that the Foundry is still down? Yes, but I would rather they take the time to get it as close to right as they can before they bring it back up than for it to be bugged and unstable and missing maps.

So would I, but that doesnt excuse sloppy testing. This kind of thing should be resolved BEFORE a season goes live, and making excuses for it now is only going to encourage them to keep making the same mistakes in the future. If people act like everything is fine then they will have no motivation not to let this happen every time a new season is released.
    edited July 2012
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • toslover#1432 toslover Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, the possible good news is that, since the last patch was on the 20th, we should be getting another update from Brandon (or another dev) within the next couple of days. :)
    2rbz410.jpg
    edited July 2012
    Ok BranFlakes, since you're obviously looking at this thread closely enough to edit my posts (whatever I did, sorry, my bad), so how about some news?

We're going on two weeks without the Foundry, and we haven't heard anything from you since last week. No news is not good news in this case.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Argh, I'm so jazzed for the return of the foundry that I've been brainstorming missions.

Do you guys know that in a lot of police states, when the state anticipates a riot, there is often an increased effort at crowd control, with strict supervision of the media and public speech?

That is just a fun fact that I learned today. Perhaps it would make for a good theme for a foundry mission, once the tools are back up.

Maybe an author could do something similar to TOS's Patterns of Force, maybe something like "Patterns of World Enforcement."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captain4mericacaptain4merica Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Do you guys know that in a lot of police states, when the state anticipates a riot, there is often an increased effort at crowd control, with strict supervision of the media and public speech?

Are we allowed to discuss that kind of real world stuff?
  • toslover#1432 toslover Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Maybe an author could do something similar to TOS's Patterns of Force, maybe something like "Patterns of World Enforcement."

That'd be an interesting idea, but that also makes me think of a question.

I wonder if we're allowed to use episode titles from the different "Star Trek" series for our own missions?

(for example, a parallel universe episode titled "Mirror, Mirror", but it's our own take on it)
    2rbz410.jpg
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Are we allowed to discuss that kind of real world stuff?

I've dealt with science v. religion, medicine, politics, and the rights of holograms in my missions. For me, it's not really Star Trek without the "meat" of Trek.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captain4mericacaptain4merica Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've dealt with science v. religion, medicine, politics, and the rights of holograms in my missions. For me, it's not really Star Trek without the "meat" of Trek.

I wasnt talking about your mission, I was talking about you asking us if we knew what you were talking about in your previous post. My question is whether we are actually allowed to answer and discuss what you brought up, per the forum rules.
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2012
    Without having to read the 20+ pages entirely ... any news on the fundry coming back anytime before Christmeows? :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
This discussion has been closed.