test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 6 Foundry Maintenance Timeline

Comments

• phase325phase325 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They've probably deleted it (like toy story 2 which was deleted by accident, and only SAVED by a mother who wanted to work from home, and took a copy of the unfinished movie home with her to work there ) ....... So maybe they are asking all the mothers in the company if they have a copy of the deleted foundry data... :D

(I jest - I am sure everything is fine)

probably found more problems making the missions compatable... personally, I don't care if I loose all my made missions... with the new bits that should be now available, I would more then likely opt to start from scratch anyway...
    HAMMER SQUADRON
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well I am a mother and my son suggested they are doing this to get an opinion on how many of us would actively complain about it.

I myself believe it will be up by Monday since no one works the weekends.
    NFA-banner.png
  • toslover#1432 toslover Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I really really hope it goes up on Monday since my birthday's on Monday and I would love to celebrate it by creating and uploading a new mission for everyone! :cool:
    2rbz410.jpg
  • fireallphasersfireallphasers Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well I am a mother and my son suggested they are doing this to get an opinion on how many of us would actively complain about it.

It is saturday. I worked today.
    Just because a majority works monday to friday 9 to 5 doesn't make any absence of people available both at night and on weekends.
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    And just because you have to work on Saturday doesn't mean a crew of programmers are going into overtime on the Foundry. If it is NOT up by mid day Monday, I would like a bit more detailed reason than the vague answer we currently have from PWEbranflakes.

I am patient... I can wait until Monday.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2012
    blargskull wrote: »
    And just because you have to work on Saturday doesn't mean a crew of programmers are going into overtime on the Foundry. If it is NOT up by mid day Monday, I would like a bit more detailed reason than the vague answer we currently have from PWEbranflakes.

I am patient... I can wait until Monday.

While I am not sure if it will be up by mid day Monday, out goal is to have it back up ASAP. Here is a little bit more background:

The Foundry was taken offline while all projects republish. As they republish, the programming and QA teams are going through reports to ensure missions had a smooth transition. This was the biggest update to the Foundry since it launched, not only because of the new assets and features that were introduced, but due to the new code branch that the game has moved up to -- this is why republishing is taking longer than previous republishing. A lot of this code change is behind the scenes, but it affects every Foundry mission previously made.

By doing these checks, we want to ensure that everything transitioned smoothly so Foundry authors have no issues with their missions when they go to edit them, and when everyone goes to play them. There will be some missions that need to be updated before they can be manually republished, though, and I put more notes about this for authors in the OP :)

It's also important to note that every team involved with the Foundry has been working on this transition for quite some time, ensuring they've covered all bases, and have done an amazing job doing so.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    While I am not sure if it will be up by mid day Monday, out goal is to have it back up ASAP.

I didn't express which Monday, there are 3 left this month. :) But fireallphasers seems to be correct in the fact that Brandon is working today. Good job Brandon and thanks for getting back to us on that.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hopefully, it won't happen again with season 7 and beyond. I fear it will require a lot of small work to authors, and it's a bit tedious to be forced to work again on something you'd like not to spend too much time on it, since it was a finished project...
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2012
    Thank you for the update BranFlakes. I for one feel much better.

@diogene0: I'm not sure how other authors look at it, but for me, since there's always been the promise of more features to come, I've never looked at my missions as "finished." With each new update I look for ways I can go back and improve and use what's been added, be it replacing a map with a newer version, updating triggers with a new trick or, in this case, adding npc titles to dialogue.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • docentropydocentropy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The process being applied to this Season's Foundry updates is more diligent, responsible, respectful and professional than that employed previously, especially during Season 4. I want to express my appreciation and give thanks to the teams involved.
  • iwontsayiwontsay Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Bringing down the production database for a longer time is usually the worst thing one can do. Wouldn't have it been better to disable editing of Foundry projects a week before update, and then do the database migration and/or the conversion of the Foundry projects on a mirror, maybe accessible by Tribble? And with S6 going live, just switch databases?
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    docentropy wrote: »
    The process being applied to this Season's Foundry updates is more diligent, responsible, respectful and professional than that employed previously, especially during Season 4. I want to express my appreciation and give thanks to the teams involved.

Here here and all that jazz. I don't mind mistakes so long as you learn from them.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Thank you for the update BranFlakes. I for one feel much better.

@diogene0: I'm not sure how other authors look at it, but for me, since there's always been the promise of more features to come, I've never looked at my missions as "finished." With each new update I look for ways I can go back and improve and use what's been added, be it replacing a map with a newer version, updating triggers with a new trick or, in this case, adding npc titles to dialogue.

Of course a project is never finished, but I like to give it up one I feel it's ok for release. I enjoy focusing onnew stuff, not on the old one. Of course there might be opportunities to improve it, but it should be done when the author wants to do so, not something mandatory.

I'm ok with the concept of new features, but it's a bit tedious to work again on something that was working quite well. The best example is the ability to name objects. Great! It's a cool new feature, but it will force me to double check and spend a lot of time on my 5 missions, because no one had the idea to make new names blank on existing missions. This means my all new mission I'm having fun to do will be delayed for some reread work I've already done.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Of course a project is never finished, but I like to give it up one I feel it's ok for release. I enjoy focusing onnew stuff, not on the old one. Of course there might be opportunities to improve it, but it should be done when the author wants to do so, not something mandatory.

I'm ok with the concept of new features, but it's a bit tedious to work again on something that was working quite well. The best example is the ability to name objects. Great! It's a cool new feature, but it will force me to double check and spend a lot of time on my 5 missions, because no one had the idea to make new names blank on existing missions. This means my all new mission I'm having fun to do will be delayed for some reread work I've already done.

I know how you feel - I have been mentally ready to start work on Part V of my Ghosts of War saga which promises to be epic (minor spoiler/tease: one of the maps will be called "The Battle of Club 47") - but that will have to wait while I go through Parts I-IV with a fine-toothed comb.

On the other hand, as long as I'm fiddling with my old missions anyway this is a good opportunity to give them upgrades of their own. I already have some significant changes in mind for Parts I and II. (Not so much for Parts III and IV... yet... but as I get more familiar with the Foundry's new capabilities I just might get a new idea or two for them as well.)
  • carbongripcarbongrip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Any chance the foundry might be up today?:D
  • mightydan1mightydan1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's been under maintenance for four days. What are the odds they finish today?
  • kevinmarkskevinmarks Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Aww I love the custom content! :(
    edited July 2012
    Four days is not cause for worry. Remember it was down for 5 weeks once.

They know we're impatient to have it back, and if I was a dev and it was taking this long, I'd be impatient for the work to be done. I'm sure we'll have it back before too long.

I do wish maybe they would have warned us that it might take half a week to a week. I think most of us, including myself, expected all this to be done inside the maintenance window. Perhaps that was an unrealistic expectation, but we had no indication that it might be otherwise. I have a lot of respect for BranFlakes. Being the most visible person for PWE on the boards, he really puts himself out there, and I'm sure none of it is his responsibility, but for a thread with "Timeline" in the title, it really doesn't have a "timeline" in it. :D I'm sure that frustrates people, but I'm also sure that's all he's been authorized to say.

I think the probable answer is they just didn't know how long it would take to get the republish and QA work done and get it back online. I doubt any of the testing on tribble could have told them how long it would take.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • nyiadnyiad Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    mightydan1 wrote: »
    It's been under maintenance for four days. What are the odds they finish today?

Next to none.

I give it a month.
  • fireallphasersfireallphasers Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i really would like to be able to play the foundry before i go away to school in september and never get a chance to play again.
    The really stupid thing is...i only found out about the application 6 hrs before it went down and was never able to get making maps out of my system
    edited July 2012
    I can only assume the volume of missions that the team's gotta go through in order to get the Foundry back up, but, if a dev sees this post, could I suggest maybe, once a week, that we get an update on the progress? :)

I was just thinking of something like that just so we're not stuck wondering (or thinking maybe the devs got too busy and forgot about us. hehe :P).
    2rbz410.jpg
  • paulymanpaulyman Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    it is truly tragic and funny at the same time. when they take the time to do something right people complain that they are taking too long and fuss and cry about not having access... but when they rush something to make those people happy they are the same ones that cry and complain that it has bugs and blasts cryptic on their lack of proper QA.

if you were all as much addicted to the foundry as you profess to be you would know that there were MAJOR bugs that had to be worked out and we are not talking about 5 or 10 foundry missions but hundreds or more. or is this the thing for everybody to jump on the bandwagon and complain about this week because they are angry at life in general?

let them fix the damn thing right if that takes a few more days or even a week im all for it i also would rather there be a bug free fully functioning foundry system than what we had recently.
    edited July 2012
    paulyman wrote: »
    it is truly tragic and funny at the same time. when they take the time to do something right people complain that they are taking too long and fuss and cry about not having access...

I'm not mad, just curious. :)

Was the reason you posted it because of what I said or was it just a coincidence that I'm reading too much into?
    2rbz410.jpg
  • phase325phase325 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nyiad wrote: »
    Next to none.

I give it a month.

SWEEPSTAKE !

I say by this coming Saturday :)
    HAMMER SQUADRON
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    I call Thursday!
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    it is truly tragic and funny at the same time. when they take the time to do something right people complain that they are taking too long and fuss and cry about not having access... but when they rush something to make those people happy they are the same ones that cry and complain that it has bugs and blasts cryptic on their lack of proper QA.

if you were all as much addicted to the foundry as you profess to be you would know that there were MAJOR bugs that had to be worked out and we are not talking about 5 or 10 foundry missions but hundreds or more. or is this the thing for everybody to jump on the bandwagon and complain about this week because they are angry at life in general?

let them fix the damn thing right if that takes a few more days or even a week im all for it i also would rather there be a bug free fully functioning foundry system than what we had recently.

*applause*
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited July 2012

Forgive us for wanting to know more about when a major game feature (for us anyway) is going to return. For some of us, the Foundry is the only reason we continue to play this game. I think most of us who lived through season 4 are plenty content to let them take the time they need to do the transition properly. That doesn't mean we aren't going to talk and speculate and ask for details.

Now if you want to talk unpleasable fanbase, go look in the general forum section. How long did people cry about no content? And now they have released content. Have the complaints stopped? No. "There's not enough" "I finished it already" "It's too hard" "It's too easy" "It's too much of a time/resource sink" "Why did you do this when you could have done that" "Why didn't you cater to the kind of content I want" etc etc. I'd talk to those people about never being satisfied.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd agree that regular/scheduled updates would be a very good thing for a feature as major as the Foundry. I can live with extended downtime as long as there is a clear, polite, and consistent effort to communicate with us.

Honestly, the Foundry is one of the biggest draws to STO for me, especially since new episodes aren't released very often. I'm also working on designing a big storytelling mission, and have been very disappointed not to be able to continue on it while the ideas are still flowing.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited July 2012
    Not to mention that this is the first major update the Foundry has received since going live, but we can't play with it.

Fleets got their toys right away. But Foundry authors have to wait. That can be frustrating.
  • carbongripcarbongrip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Can we get any updates today... It's been days. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.