test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Lifetime Subscriber Perk (NW Beta*)

Comments

• praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This is no perk, this is an insult.
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
  • captwilhelmcaptwilhelm Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I think the article deserves to be corrected. This isn't a perk for STO lifetimers. It is a promotion only. For those who wants to beta test Neverwinter, and it is already a STO lifer, a wonderfull one. But it is not a perk. When you tell a player about a new perk, it imediatelly think of a in-game item or something related. Like acces to captain's table, playable liberated borg and so on. So, when players read the article and see it is just a promotion, they get frustrated. I was frustrated. The net ressult is rage all over the place. So, changing this probably would avoid misunderstanding and consequently the bad effects on the comments and forums.
    Pre-forum change name: Captain Wilhelm

Thanks Cryptic for introducing the Kelvin Timeline. It remembered why I decided to never more put any money on this game.
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Cool and all, but I would have rather gotten a new lifetime perk that I could use in STO. Granted I will admit that despite my changing feelings about Cryptic I have been curious how their Neverwinter will stack up against Bioware and Obsidion's offerings.

Also, I do kind of want to see the game my C-Store purchases were funding.
  • alastorforthrighalastorforthrigh Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I think it's great they're giving lifetimers beta access. Now what bout me? in about a week I'll be billed again. And I'll have paid just shy of 300 dollars in total for subscription fees. Roughly the same as a lifetime. And I'll be billed again next month, unlike a lifetimer. Yet, I don't get a beta key? Why is that? You would think the fact that I have enough dedication to the game to pay every month and more than 300 in total would mean I deserve something nice too by this point...
    2qTOAB3.gif
  • lordxenitelordxenite Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    zulisvel wrote: »
    I have been curious how their Neverwinter will stack up against Bioware and Obsidion's offerings.
    I doubt NWO will measure up against BioWare and Obsidian. I do think however that Cryptic is targeting NWO to measure up versus Guild Wars 2, TERA and perhaps The Secret World.
  • th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Also, NW will be F2P.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    What has the world come to when The Grand Nagus has to resort to 1337SP34K? Not a Perfect World, for sure! :rolleyes:
  • balranbalran Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    How many folks actually clicked the link and read the line in the annoucement that the invites for lifers will be doled out over the course of the test? They were more careful this time to word it to avoid the nerdrage when everybody doesn't get in on the first day. Though it'll be interesting to see how much still happens anyway....
  • th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    lordxenite wrote: »
    What has the world come to when The Grand Nagus has to resort to 1337SP34K? Not a Perfect World, for sure! :rolleyes:

Its hardly "leet speak" with *any* caps =P

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Its hardly "leet speak" with *any* caps =P

Still a sad day...
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
  • ndangerndanger Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Let me get this straight - One of my perks as Lifetime Subscriber to Star Trek Online is, at some point in the future, be in the beta of a different game.

:rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ======================================
    Dazed and confused at what goes on in STO since Feb 2010
  • podsixpodsix Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    ndanger wrote: »
    Let me get this straight - One of my perks as Lifetime Subscriber to Star Trek Online is, at some point in the future, be in the beta of a different game.

:rolleyes:

Exactly the same way that Lifetimers of CO (if I am remembering correctly) got into the closed beta of STO.

Because we're lifetime subscribers, we're on the fast track to other betas by the same company, and don't have to beg borrow and steal, compete in contests, "know someone" or pre-order the game just to get into the beta.

This just proves that if Cryptic gave everyone free cake, people would complain that it had too much frosting.
    7n4nvF5.png
  • thokoothokoo Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm sure it will be a fundamentally good game (because Cryptic makes
    GOOD games), but with the SOE type decisions that are going on these days, will it do ok?
    thokoo...formerly known as "Vaani@Vaani":eek:
    edited June 2012
    podsix wrote: »
    This just proves that if Cryptic gave everyone free cake, people would complain that it had too much frosting.
    Or too little... or simply that the cake is a lie! :wink:
  • cptwilliam2cptwilliam2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Whoop-de-doo.

No offense, but I couldn't care less about another game.

For everyone thats happy, good for you and I mean that sincerely :biggrin:

It would have been smarter imo to group this with a STO thing so it doesn't feel as much of a let down to the people who couldn't care less about NV.
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.
  • captainvallentcaptainvallent Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hey Cryptic.
    I love you guys. I really do.

And, as much as I find this perk to be rather absurd, I do hope Neverwinter does well for you. Thank you for the offer, though!

Cheers!
    d7s_small.jpg
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Unlock the darkest secrets of Faerun! Strange cubes swirling with chaotic energy have been found being carried by the minions of Lolth! Coined "Reliquaries of Ruin" by the brave adventurers who have recovered them, a cabal of wizards has found a way to release their strange energies! Purchase an Astral Key on the Cryptic Store, and you too can unlock the excitement!
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Only if you roll 20.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Thank You...

I learned a long time ago to never look a gift horse in the mouth...

I will be happy to test Your newest game for You for Free.

<shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Had the topic generically been: Neverwinter Closed Beta Invite! with the content of the post directed only to Lifetime subscribers, a lot more readers might have cried foul. By having presented it as a Lifetime Perk this draws more attention from the player's for whom the announcement is intended.

I don't expect anymore perks from my lifetime status (if Gold subscribers receive more distinction I will simply benefit as well). So I appreciate this invitation in the spirit in which it is intended. Should I find I'm available to participate I may take Cryptic up on it.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • digit369digit369 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    this game is pretty cool for F2P, i even doled out some cash for the zen, but after getting my cool cruiser, i dont see anything that would make me want to be a lts... this game was designed to fail, and peeps who think that NWO will be making STO better has another thing coming. This company takes a project, runs it as far into the ground as they can, get as much isk out of it as they can, and then they start pushing the next game, and the next and the next, why they call these 300$ subscriptions "lifetime" subscriptions is just to deter from the fact that they arent interested in keeping sto alive for the next 3 years, likely even less, so the years you have put into it, depending on your type of play style, are gone, and dont mean ****... this is why no MMO on the market can compare to EVE Online, things ive done, and things ive earned were there 5 years ago, and will be there 5 years from now.... sto could have been like this, lmfao you can earn zen by completing online surveys, and buying other products not even related to gaming..... lols, you people are in the wrong business, this game will be gone in a year tops, EVE is FOREVER
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Q: (Jared1701) Are there still plans to bring crafting, a working shuttle bay, and new mini games to ship interiors and if so when?

Dstahl: These items had shown up in previous Engineering Reports as designs we were discussing and wanting to put in the game, but are not currently being worked on. At this time, we are focused on Starbase interiors. Neverwinter is working on a Foundry addition to build custom interior spaces (room by room). Once this feature is done and ready, we will have the opportunity to import something similar into STO. At that time, we would consider opening up the ability for players to fully customize their own ship interiors room by room and prop by prop. That is a ways off at this point, though.

This is what I am hoping for from Neverwinter. Currently playing a liberated borg captain with a few liberated borg crew members and a bunch of borg-enhanced crew members thanks to the Seven of Nine costume. Currently using a ship with a full borg set so being able to create a borgified interior will fit my captain so well. Being in the closed beta will allow me to get an estimate on how close this feature is to being introduced. If everything goes perfectly, then it should be available a few months after it is available to Neverwinter.

A decent perk for lifetimers that pertains to Neverwinter would be some ingame item in Neverwinter that is only available to STO lifers. Just like the Mirror Universe costume was intended to be. Not having to pay for it and getting exclusive use of it for a few months would be acceptable. Although, I suppose Champions Online lifers need another perk for it as well.
  • matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This isn't a perk for STO lifetimers. It is a promotion only.

Exactly. Calling this a perk is like saying potty training is an end-game skill.
  • mikec1013mikec1013 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This "perk" is like cubic zirconia. Guess that's the new currency we can look forward to.
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    That's great! Will definitely be checking this out :)

Got to love the complainers here :rolleyes:
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    digit369 wrote: »
    this game is pretty cool for F2P, i even doled out some cash for the zen, but after getting my cool cruiser, i dont see anything that would make me want to be a lts... this game was designed to fail, and peeps who think that NWO will be making STO better has another thing coming. This company takes a project, runs it as far into the ground as they can, get as much isk out of it as they can, and then they start pushing the next game, and the next and the next, why they call these 300$ subscriptions "lifetime" subscriptions is just to deter from the fact that they arent interested in keeping sto alive for the next 3 years, likely even less, so the years you have put into it, depending on your type of play style, are gone, and dont mean ****... this is why no MMO on the market can compare to EVE Online, things ive done, and things ive earned were there 5 years ago, and will be there 5 years from now.... sto could have been like this, lmfao you can earn zen by completing online surveys, and buying other products not even related to gaming..... lols, you people are in the wrong business, this game will be gone in a year tops, EVE is FOREVER

I'm giving it a year possibly 2 at the most already the in game chat os dying or filled with spammers or disgusting degenerates especially at DS9 so turned my chat off. PVP has died as it takes ages to play a game and normally thats only Capture and Hold. STF's and Mirror Universe is becoming the same. This is the first MMO I've played religiously and will probably be here till the end although less regular. Cryptic have time to turn this around and make this a decent MMO. But they need to listen to the people who own the game not the people who want Refits or other factions but the real trekkies out there. Who like myself like playing KDF as well a FED at the moment my KDF character is just a dilithium mine just using his for Doff missions and thats it We need not only more FED Content not carriers or other ships but missions and maybe a new level cap.
    And the KDF need something that makes them unique as all they have is BOP battle cloaks not everyone uses a BOP even if the ship is Gorn Nausican or ferasian.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rocknrobot1rocknrobot1 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Okay... so LT subscibers now gonna get access to something that has NOTHING to do with Star Trek.

What's next, a free ticket for the Superbowl? Some Coupons for free Cheeseburgers?

I see what you actually are trying to change and it's a good thing... making lifetime subscriptions more valuable. But it should at least be something that is useful in THIS game.

Like, a unique, awesome ship plus shuttle and customizable interior, that levels with the toon so there is no restriction in which ranks it is useful/useable. Plus, additional Character perks that actually give something useful to the customer. Perhaps an additional weapon slot. Or whatever, i dunno... i'm not a game designer, you are. Use the force, Luke!

How about you start some surveys and see what the people would like to have, then consider doing it or not?
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    suricatta wrote: »
    Not sure why anyone is complaining about this. It's a FREE perk...

I don't think people are complaining about the perk itself, so much, as the delivery. If the article header had read "Early/Exclusive NWN Beta access for Life-timers" the response would've been much different from the one "New Lifetime Subscriber Perk" has gotten. I know when I read that, the possibility that it might be anything other than something in or related to Star Trek Online never even crossed my mind.

I was in fact pleasantly surprised, as my current state of mind regarding anything and everything Cryptic does is a fairly cynical one, that after two years they actually seemed to be keeping their word on the LTS packages. If you'll recall, for quite a long time the LTS page used to say that there would be more benefits for LTSers down the line. It doesn't say that anymore, and it never happened. You could try to cram the veteran awards into that vacuum, but it doesn't quite fit the way it should. If anything, some people will tell you the LTS 'lost' something when the Captain's Table went 400-day veteran award. Personally I didn't mind that. CT was a ghost town, still is, and will become even more of one with the new fleet starbases drawing away 'the crowds'.

Point is, when we clicked that link, giddy with anticipation, we got this. Again, it's not about the gift horse. Nevermind the fact that usually the prereq for beta access is having an e-mail address. NWN looks okay - I'm not that into fantasy, but who knows, I might be very, very bored some time. (I play STO afterall.)

It's the (misre)presentation of the gift horse. And the Greek soldiers inside.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • bohortonstobohortonsto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Did anyone else see the PAX east stuff they showed? I mean... people wonder where Cryptic's time goes? They aren't 200 people, they aren't even 100. We were wondering what they've been up to... and they've... been busy..

so we now get the perk of seeing what the money we spent on sto was actually used for?:eek:

nothing against NW but come on with sto Still feeling a little bare in the content department i think it'll actually depress me to find out NW is any good.
  • czaoczao Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    not impressed. real lasting in game perks please.