What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Keybinds For Dummies

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    So, I tried reading through the Keybind toutorial and got rather confused. however I also came up with a really cool idea for a keybind that I think should have a full thing set out for it anyway, as it will likely become quite useful.

The ability to map bridge officer 'Stand Over there' commands to keys would be awesome. Sort of like the old squad based shooter Freedom Fighters, if your familiar with it.

Thoughts? And how might I do this? I think it'd be a good idea for shooter mode, and save me alot of switching between both modes. Also, Devs, LOOK AT THIS This is something that would be really good to just have built in.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Anyone else having trouble getting the $target argument to work anymore? I used to have my keybinds set to call out targets when I had them selected, but now it doesn't call out the target anymore, and just puts the "$target" text in.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That sounds like a good bind. I am just getting some binds set up for ground PVP. I am trying to use <target $$ assist> Just tried it on the ground for the first time yesterday. Not sure if it is suppose to work on the ground too or if it is a problem with the new patch.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Anyone else having trouble getting the $target argument to work anymore? I used to have my keybinds set to call out targets when I had them selected, but now it doesn't call out the target anymore, and just puts the "$target" text in.

This ability has been removed from the game with season 4. Apparently the Dev's favor Pre-Mades with voice chat over PUGs who have to rely upon the type chat channels.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Hi,

I'd like to bind EPTS2 to F1 and EPTW1 to F2.

What would be the command line please?

Next to EPTS2 is a little ID A4

Next to EPTW1 is a little ID A5

Any help appreciated.

X

PS. If anyone has a G15 Logictech and explain to me how to chain a EPT something I'd greatly appreciate.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    To quickly answer your question:

if in a file:
    F1 +TrayExecByTray 2 3
    F2 +TrayExecByTray 2 4

if on the command line

/bind F1 +TrayExecByTray 2 3
    /bind F2 +TrayExecByTray 2 4

However, note that the little A4 and A5 means that those positions are already bound to Alt 4 and Alt 5 respectively. Also, F1 and F2 are, by default, bound to target you (F1) and your first teammate (F2). If you are using the G15, you can just use the existing keybinds as opposed to overriding the defaults.

As a little tutorial, by default the first tray of your powers is bound to 1-9, the second tray to Ctrl + 1-9, and the third to Alt + 1-9. You can activate any power by pressing the associated key for that slot.
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Not working for me, and I saw someone else try it last night with the same result.:mad:
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    CrustyMac wrote: »
    Not working for me, and I saw someone else try it last night with the same result.:mad:

Hmm, I just used it with no problems... popped into Memory Alpha, clicked on some stranger, typed /$target$$follow and my toon went right to him. However, I also typed /playersay $target and $target was displayed instead of the target's name, but to me the former functionality is more important than the chatting.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    BDS wrote:
    Hmm, I just used it with no problems... popped into Memory Alpha, clicked on some stranger, typed /$target$$follow and my toon went right to him. However, I also typed /playersay $target and $target was displayed instead of the target's name, but to me the former functionality is more important than the chatting.

Not in PvP pugging.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Not sure if it was in the last patch... but $target just worked for me in chat
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So has the addition of shooter mode made ground key binding impossible?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    $target will work in certain chats (like zone or fleet) only...just not team chat. It was deliberately stealth removed with Season 4. Cryptic hasn't responded to any communication regarding if it's to be restored or not.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    This topic could have been writen in chinese for all it matters because I just don't get it, however a youtube video showing how to do this would greatly help.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    It was written in Chinese (Mandarin). Your universal translator must be on the blink.

Actually, I have played with creating a little app (free) that would create a keybind file using a simple checkbox GUI of the available commands. Still toying with the idea.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Has anyone figured out the command to keybind "Visit the bridge"?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me do some troubleshooting.

I'm trying to help a friend with creating a bindfile but for some reason we can't locate it in his Star Trek Online Live folder after we've typed our command in the chat box.

We're using using this: /bind_save_file keybindsA.txt

Any ideas where this file may be getting saved to or how I can locate it? It's definitely not going to the Live folder.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    The command and location are correct.

I believe you are not seeing the file because there have been no changes to the keybinds from default. The bind_save_file command does not save default keybinds.

Try this:

/bind h playersay hello world

then run the bind_save_file command

You should only see one entry, the 'h' bind
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Hi i have a question

This is my assist bind: - /bind ` "party "TARGET --> $target
    But in chat: TARGET --> $target and don't visualize the targhet.

Is there an alternative?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Prohmeteus wrote:
    Hi i have a question

This is my assist bind: - /bind ` "party "TARGET --> $target
    But in chat: TARGET --> $target and don't visualize the targhet.

Is there an alternative?

Unfortunately, no. Cryptic managed to bork the $target during the season 4 update.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    LordOfPit wrote: »
    I've set up my keybinds like this:
    Ctrl+X "alias startChannel "channel_setcurrent {}$$startchat""
    Ctrl+T "startChannel Team"
    Ctrl+G "startChannel Guild"
    Ctrl+O "startChannel OmegaXIII"
    Ctrl+X re-creates the alias /startChannel which is used by the other keybinds to set the channel and immediately initiate the chatbox waiting my input.

Using these binds means I don't have to manually select the channel from the chatbox and I'll never miss-tell again. ;)

I'm confused... does that mean that if you wanted to talk in the Guild channel, you have to hit Ctrl-X and then hit Ctrl-G each time you want to talk in the Guild channel?

Also, would you have to add these commands in both the ground.txt AND the space.txt keybind files so you can do it in both ground and space?

And which quotation marks do you need for the bind to work?

I just want to bind my numpad keys to set a certain channel in the list and start typing my message to that particular channel, so something like this:

/bind numpad1 "startchannel "Fleet"$$startchat"
    /bind numpad2 "startchannel "Global Channel 1"$$startchat"

And so on... or should I change it so that all of them have the Alias command?

Then after it's in I do the /bind_save_file (filename with path).txt, right?

From everything I'm seeing, maybe it'll just be easier to just select from the tab which channel I want to talk in... or just create tabs for every channel so that when I click on the tab, it sets the chatbox to that channel... but that'll be a LOT of tabs.

Ashes to ashes,
    Pheonyx
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    The Ctrl+x bind just initates the alias command so that all further Ctrl keybinds work as alias commands are not maintained when you shut down the client.* After the alias command is run, you can use the subsequent commands to initate a chat to the appropriate channel. And yes, you will need to put it in both ground and space keybind files.

The numpad binds you have posted won't work as the startChannel command is not a real STO command, but rather a user created one.
    """

/bind numpad1 "channel_setcurrent Fleet$$startchat"

I have not tested the above command, so there is no warrantly that it will work. But it should :D

* If you read later past that post, there is discussion about making a permanent alias file that gets loaded every time you launch the client.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I've got a question. I've got a space ability that I want to keep automatically trigger itself whenever it's cooldown is up. How would I do that? I tried "/bind Control+z ++TrayExecByTray 4 1" to make Ctrl+z trigger the power repeatedly that is on tray 4 slot 1 but it didn't work.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just impossible?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Bazag wrote:
    I've got a question. I've got a space ability that I want to keep automatically trigger itself whenever it's cooldown is up. How would I do that? I tried "/bind Control+z ++TrayExecByTray 4 1" to make Ctrl+z trigger the power repeatedly that is on tray 4 slot 1 but it didn't work.

Sorry, that can't be done with the STO keybinds. Also, if you used some other mechanism it could be interpreted as botting and get you banned.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Unfortunately, no. Cryptic managed to bork the $target during the season 4 update.

Its been repaired with the latest patch. This command works once again :)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Bazag wrote:

it's not possible to do it as an automated thing... but you could work around that.

you could couple that command with your space bar

space "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll $$+TrayExecByTray 4 1"

That way every time you hit your space bar it would not only attempt to fire all weapons (which does not trigger a global cool down), but it would also attempt to use the power in tray 5 slot 2. The only drawback to that would be that you'd hear the error sound if it wasn't available at that time.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Ahnzoog wrote: »
    The only drawback to that would be that you'd hear the error sound if it wasn't available at that time.

Too true, unless you use this command:

space "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll $$trayexecbytraywithbackup 1 4 1 4 1"
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    BDS wrote:
    Sorry, that can't be done with the STO keybinds. Also, if you used some other mechanism it could be interpreted as botting and get you banned.

This raises a moral dilemma for me then. Although this issue cannot occur in space due to the insufficient buttons to bind keys to on a gamepad or controller. On ground missions when I want to use shooter mode I will plug in my Logitech controller/gamepad. When I use it I have an option that technically lets you do that with a repeat setting where you can adjust the intervals of the repeat so you could have zero time where your weapons are not firing. I'm wondering now if Cryptic would be against using a gamepad with that feature if it could be percieved as botting. Although I'm a firm anti-bot person because it takes any sense of achievement and gratification of any game when people do that. I just get a higher satisfaction level when I can use shooter mode with the advantages of a gamepad/controller.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    BDS wrote:
    Too true, unless you use this command:

space "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll $$trayexecbytraywithbackup 1 4 1 4 1"

D'oh! I totally didn't think of that... I was even thinking about using the trayexecbytraywithbackup... but I missed the obvious of repeating the same slot.

I'z been pwnt.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Ahnzoog wrote: »
    I'z been pwnt.

:D

I actually rebound all my 1-0 keys with the backup command just to eliminate that error sound.

Zeuxidemus wrote:
    This raises a moral dilemma for me then.

I understand your point. As both ground and space have auto weapons fire built into the game, that portion of your arguement is mute. However, you could always set the repeat timer to only run for 1 minute or less so that you can't be away from the keyboard and still win. I believe that is what the spirit of the rule means. Although IANAL.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Someone in another thread asked about removing Rally points by keybind for Shooter mode. I answered there, but I thought I'd put it here as well since this is the main Keybind resource.

This Command will make them follow you... in very close single file. This command only works if you have actually set Rallypoints for your Boffs

/PetCommands_SetAllToFollowOwner

Also, if they are following you after using the above command, you can use

/PetCommands_SetAllToHoldPosition

which makes them stop exactly where they are. But, remember, before you can use those commands the Boffs have to have a Rallypoint set.

I find that on cardassian ships it's iffy though... they sometimes just crouch after combat and won't follow... but reseting a rally point and doing the command again will get them to follow.