test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry - Roadmap to Future Updates

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    koioc wrote:
    ANyone know how I can get more foundry mission slots. It says I need 7000 dilithum and both my characters have way over that?

This is a bug, and the devs know about it. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. :(
    edited June 2012
    The bug is fixed! :) Just wanted to let you guys know.
    edited June 2012
    Hi Cryptic & forum,

First off, I absolutely love STO and the foundry. Thanks, Cryptic, for making this game such a great one.

Next, I wanted to point out a few things that are really making me bump my head when trying to design missions.

1. All available starship bridges have a master systems display for the ship they represent (except for the Galaxy "unity" bridge which shows an Akira class ship on the master systems display.)
    • In order to use a bridge for any ship, the master systems displays should be removed in the foundry.
    • We need more bridge interiors (with working doors) available in the foundry!
    • For the Galaxy class bridge in game, please remove the Akira master system display or replace with a Galaxy class display. (Has a bug been filed for this?)

2. There is a category for "Rings" but there is nothing in there. I was trying to make Saturn with its thick, multiple rings but there was no way to do so.

3. Corridors. Currently all Federation interior walls are steel-looking with eerie blue lighting. What about the luxurious look of the Galaxy class ship? We need more bulkhead options, corner pieces, rounded walls, curved computer console walls, and carpeted floors!

4. LCARS. All of the displays on the custom console parts are blue, and don't look very Trek. This is also a gripe of mine in game. It seems like a lot of the consoles are very industrial looking, and not very sleek. Can Cryptic put some LCARS displays into the foundry? I notice a few cropping up in the main game, like on the Odyssey and Beflast bridges... this is awesome!

5. The ship inside drydock bug - I tried the trigger method shown on Starbase UGC, but as soon as the drydock appears, the ship inside jumps above it. Maybe a quick fix could be that certain objects in game, like drydock, would have collision disabled.

6. Earth Spacedock - It's the old version. I wanted to make a mission that started with a ship launching ceremony at Earth, but I have to implement a lot of clever workarounds because the new ESD does not exist in the foundry, and also because of the drydock bug above.

Thanks for reading!! :-)
    Josh
    edited June 2012
    Jo-Shuan wrote:
    2. There is a category for "Rings" but there is nothing in there. I was trying to make Saturn with its thick, multiple rings but there was no way to do so.

You don't need the category - just place your planet, and there should be a "ring" option in there somewhere.
    edited June 2012
    @ThePsychoticVulcan - Yes, I do know about the "ring" option when you place your planet on your space map, but the ring options are very limited. The ability to create multiple, multi-color, thick and dense rings of particles is nonexistent.
    edited June 2012
    Jo-Shuan wrote:
    @ThePsychoticVulcan - Yes, I do know about the "ring" option when you place your planet on your space map, but the ring options are very limited. The ability to create multiple, multi-color, thick and dense rings of particles is nonexistent.

I hate that.
    I had a grwat planet design where it had one ring in between the equatorial belt and the southern pole, and another ring in the northern equvilent.
    Not happening. >:-(
    edited June 2012
    Since when was there a costume budget?

I made over 50 uniquely designed NPC's for my first mission, then on my second I've only got 39 costumes yet somehow I've expended my costume budget. This is outrageous. Often times I have to use costumes to make the characters fit their roles. I can't have a doctor looking like they're ready to take on a the entire Undine race...
  • chicochavezchicochavez Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Do we have any kind of idea of what is coming with Season 6 in terms of the foundry? I'm waiting on starting part two of my series to see if some stuff I'd like to use will be in there.

Specifically I'm looking for:

1: Caitians as a costume race option

2: Delta Flyers as a ship costume option

3: EVA suits as a costume option
    Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Do we have any kind of idea of what is coming with Season 6 in terms of the foundry? I'm waiting on starting part two of my series to see if some stuff I'd like to use will be in there.

Specifically I'm looking for:

1: Caitians as a costume race option

2: Delta Flyers as a ship costume option

3: EVA suits as a costume option

Check out tribble, or at least the tribble release notes, it'll show you everything that's been added to the Foundry so far. About your wish for Caitians to be a costume race option, they already are, but you first must purchase the playable Caitian from the C-Store.
    edited July 2012
    We really need the option of putting the player's face in the dialogue box, that way we can have a better means of having the player as part of the conversation. Is this possible? Also, I for one really need the ability to have the player's character go to a map alone. Having 4 lackeys following your captain in every situation is ridiculous. The player is alone in multiple Cryptic missions, most notably the recent Jem'Hadar featured episodes. Please put this in for season 6.
  • backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    We really need the option of putting the player's face in the dialogue box, that way we can have a better means of having the player as part of the conversation. Is this possible? Also, I for one really need the ability to have the player's character go to a map alone. Having 4 lackeys following your captain in every situation is ridiculous. The player is alone in multiple Cryptic missions, most notably the recent Jem'Hadar featured episodes. Please put this in for season 6.
    I agree with the need for the option to send the player somewhere alone. This would be very much appreciated.

I'm not so sure of putting the player's face in dialog boxes. I have the feeling many authors wouldn't take enough care to make sure that the player-dialog is neutral enough. I, at least, would be put off by my character saying things he usually wouldn't say.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
    edited July 2012
    I agree with the need for the option to send the player somewhere alone. This would be very much appreciated.

I'm not so sure of putting the player's face in dialog boxes. I have the feeling many authors wouldn't take enough care to make sure that the player-dialog is neutral enough. I, at least, would be put off by my character saying things he usually wouldn't say.

Yeah I understand that, but I think most authors have the player at least say a little, the continue button doesn't give you much room to say anything, and to have the player talk in the same box as another character isn't a good option. The way I see it though, in order to give a decent story and decent dialogue, the player needs to open up a bit and allow the dialogue to go outside of what his character or what his boffs might say. There's no way to predict what species the player or boffs are. Are we not supposed to use contractions, because the character may be an android or a Vulcan? Where does it end?

The way I see it, the player should pretend that entering the Foundry is like entering the holodeck, you may not be playing your own character. Picard was a very different person when he was playing Dixon Hill, for example. I'm here to tell a story I want to tell, and like everything else, there's no way to please everyone. I do intend to put warnings in the mission description. I.E. this story assumes your character is/isn't....
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I'm on this boat, some times I'll run into things that I would never say squished into the tiny response button.

What I've done is put an implicit response on the button.

So instead of "Show me the money" I have "Demand the money"

This way it allows the players to imagine how they want to word the response but still keep the story going the way I want it to. I've only had one complaint about it so far so I think it's working.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Whenever I write dialog for BOFFS, I imagine they are Vulcan, TBH. So I neither use contractions nor overt humor. I think that works - and to me it's very important.

I know there should be some suspension of disbelieve when playing a Foundry mission. But many authors already manage to squeeze in "unatural" dialog (for my captain) into the tiny buttons. I think giving them entire dialog options would make matters worse.

I tend to do similar thing to zorbane, where the buttons have brief answers, that leave room for the player's imagination as to what exactly their captains say.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
    edited July 2012
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Check out tribble, or at least the tribble release notes, it'll show you everything that's been added to the Foundry so far. About your wish for Caitians to be a costume race option, they already are, but you first must purchase the playable Caitian from the C-Store.

ok I don't get that, why should it matter if I own the caitian character to make one as an NPC when I can't use them in the real game? Heck they're available as premades already.
    edited July 2012
    Is it the same deal with Delta Flyers as it is with Caitians? Gotta own them to use them in the character editor?
  • zakon90505zakon90505 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So I'm doing Perfect World a favor by making story content for them and help keep the player base entertained, and Perfect World wants me to pay them for the privilege if I want to use certain models in the process? I don't think so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Captain Gordon Lightfoot, USS Edmund Fitzgerald

Check out Firefly Fleet: http://serenitystation.forumotion.com/
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    some things you just can't use, whether you have them or not. :(
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • oiadoiad Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    will the foundry be linked to the new fleet starbases, so users can create there own "guild hall"
  • theindefatigabletheindefatigable Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    zakon90505 wrote: »
    So I'm doing Perfect World a favor by making story content for them and help keep the player base entertained, and Perfect World wants me to pay them for the privilege if I want to use certain models in the process? I don't think so.

Not all models are in the Foundry, especially costumes. Dunno about this specific case, as I've only just started to get into the Foundry more seriously and what do you know...the Foundry's been down all the time lately.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Former/Cryptic Name: Captain_Hans_Langsdorff
    Founding member, Special Service Squadron
    "Fear God and Dread Nought." First Sea Lord, Adm. Jacky Fisher
  • seraphantillesseraphantilles Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I can't believe there is still no way to do this:

* enemy NPC ship decloaks
    * you hail enemy NPC ship
    * they say a bunch of stuff to you
    * then they warp out and disappear off the screen entirely
    * after they warp out some other ships decloak and you fight them but when their health is low, they get disabled and you board them

Seriously, this is basic stuff... many of the regular missions have stuff like this. Why isn't it in the Foundry?
  • firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm still waiting for a Ship interior customization with the foundry and since Cryptic doesn't have much interest on this game but also is currently developing another (neverwinter) I'm pretty much sure that is never gonna happen...

I'm Klingon player but the light of the ship interior hurt my eyes a little, I mean, is too dark, i like dark ambients but is a little too much for me, i was looking forward to use the foundry to change the interior' light for another less... dark, also creating a pseudo-starfleet interior and changing the crew from klingons to (liberated) borg humans (alien-made, using 'infested' skin), more orions and gorns only. no letheans, no nausicaan and no klingons... but think that i never gonna happen too :(
  • dariuskoronikovdariuskoronikov Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    the option to beam down somewhere yoursef..like a friendly ship or starbase

yes the npcs who follow you would be amazing

more ship interior options for kdf and federation

a few more bridge options too

the ability to import individuals/individualmaps from one mission to another

more npcs with antares 2 uniforms..there are enough in starbases

the ability to..even if it is less extensive than the main but custn cardassian/romulan chracters

also i notice some ships an stuff mainly C store stuff are not in..like the regent and armitage

aso lack of bajoran npcs..how can douse the bajoran map and not have bajorans?
  • connectamabobconnectamabob Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I can't believe there is still no way to do this:

* enemy NPC ship decloaks
    * you hail enemy NPC ship
    * they say a bunch of stuff to you
    * then they warp out and disappear off the screen entirely
    * after they warp out some other ships decloak and you fight them but when their health is low, they get disabled and you board them

Seriously, this is basic stuff... many of the regular missions have stuff like this. Why isn't it in the Foundry?

This. A thousand times this. I just started making my first Foundary mission, and I wanted:

* The player to be attacked by the villain's ship (solo ship w/ specific costume, not factional grab-bag)
    * After the player defeats enemy ship, enemy ship instead of blowing up turns tail and warps out

That exact thing has happened in official story missions, so I was rather surprised to find there was no way to do it in Foundary.

There just really, really needs to be a way to despawn NPC contacts similar to the show/hide parameters with objects, preferably with animations.

Other stuff:

Environmental sounds: I can set them for space maps, but not ground or indoor maps. I wanted to create a dive bar. Got halfway through construction, then realized that no matter how much activity there was on set, the place would end up being eery dead quiet. I can pack the room with all kinds of cool little character moments using the NPC animations, but the complete lack of ambient sound just makes it all jarring and creepy. There's a couple ambient sound files used in premade maps for exactly this sort of setting, so I know the resources exist already, I just can't use 'em.

This is doubly weird since the ambient sounds available to space maps include ground sounds like wind and jungle noises and stuff, suggesting that this feature was supposed to be available for ground maps, but someone goofed while assembling that part of the map editor.

More ship models available in ground maps: Like the landed and crashed BOPs, and placeable runabouts, Delta flyers, type 10s, class Fs, and Klingon and Frengi shuttles in addition to that one lonely type 8 would be greatly appreciated. Can't expect a KDF hanger bay map to be populated with Starfleet shuttles.
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This. A thousand times this. I just started making my first Foundary mission, and I wanted:

* The player to be attacked by the villain's ship (solo ship w/ specific costume, not factional grab-bag)
    * After the player defeats enemy ship, enemy ship instead of blowing up turns tail and warps out

That exact thing has happened in official story missions, so I was rather surprised to find there was no way to do it in Foundary.

There just really, really needs to be a way to despawn NPC contacts similar to the show/hide parameters with objects, preferably with animations.

Other stuff:

Environmental sounds: I can set them for space maps, but not ground or indoor maps. I wanted to create a dive bar. Got halfway through construction, then realized that no matter how much activity there was on set, the place would end up being eery dead quiet. I can pack the room with all kinds of cool little character moments using the NPC animations, but the complete lack of ambient sound just makes it all jarring and creepy. There's a couple ambient sound files used in premade maps for exactly this sort of setting, so I know the resources exist already, I just can't use 'em.

This is doubly weird since the ambient sounds available to space maps include ground sounds like wind and jungle noises and stuff, suggesting that this feature was supposed to be available for ground maps, but someone goofed while assembling that part of the map editor.

More ship models available in ground maps: Like the landed and crashed BOPs, and placeable runabouts, Delta flyers, type 10s, class Fs, and Klingon and Frengi shuttles in addition to that one lonely type 8 would be greatly appreciated. Can't expect a KDF hanger bay map to be populated with Starfleet shuttles.

They have stated in an interview that this update or in one of the next ones they will introduce a 'disable the enemy' ability and the problem with Ambients is in a previous update they tried to add it but it just didnt work so it ended up being in missed in season 5 or 6.
    I wouldn't mind the ability to have freindly ships other than Starfleet for once as well as single units, plus a few more features on the costume creation side would be nice such as custom Breen or Custom Romulan to name a few!
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • connectamabobconnectamabob Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well there are placeable props that come with their own ambient sound effects, both "whole map" sound and local proximity based sound, so it seems to me they wouldn't actually have to tinker with the foundry itself, just make a bunch of invisible object props with the sounds attached and stick 'em in the "effects" category of the objects tab.
  • digitaldaryldigitaldaryl Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    We need the ability to import maps and costumes from one project to another without having to start the target project all over again.
  • i8472i8472 Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    could we have a way to Highlight map Exit points...

I made a mission for New Romulous and all the exit points are not highlighted on the map.
    Sort of hard to find them.
  • pendra3780pendra3780 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Upcoming Foundry Feature Goals
    The following features are high on the priority list for upcoming updates (most likely Q1 2011)

Improved features for playing Foundry missions
    - The ability to flag missions as "favorites"? so players can bookmark them for later play
    2013 Q1: Nope
    - Improved searching options to allow for more specific flags and filters

Project Management improvements
    - Setting prerequisite and follow-up missions that can be linked together into a story arc
    - Set the level, powers, and gear for test characters to improve testing
    2013 Q1: Nope, on the contrary, all possibility of leveling in the foundry was taken away.

Map editor improvements
    - Better visualize placed objects in the editor using 2-D preview images
    2013 Q1: 50%. You must be able to change the Z order.
    - Fully customize backdrops, assembled from various sky effects layers, atmospheric effects, sound effects and music
    - Enable snap-to-grid to more easily place objects
    2013 Q1: It is in and it is a MAJOR PITA. I wish it was deactivated.
    - Place waypoints for patrol routes for actors to follow
    2013 Q1: In
    - Place "job" nodes for actors to interact with, such as consoles

Mission Triggers (new)
    Triggers are a way to make the game play react to the player's actions
    - Show pop-up dialogs in response to a trigger
    - Spawn encounters in response to a trigger
    - Play music or sound effects in response to a trigger
    - Set a trigger on entering a volume
    - Set a trigger on killing an encounter
    - Set a trigger on interacting with an object
    - Set a trigger on talking with a contact

Branching dialogue (new)
    - Add multiple buttons to a prompt and chain prompts based on button chosen
    - Show/hide buttons based on mission state
    - Alter button behavior based on mission state
    2013 Q1: All the buttons behave the same.

Costume creator improvements
    - Add in body scaling features found in the in game costume editor

Timeline editor (new)
    - Change encounter behavior based on objectives in progress and triggers
    - Change contact dialog text in based on objectives in progress and triggers
    2013 Q1: I guess

Plus general improvements to usability and more choices throughout the environment
    Longer Term Foundry Goals
    The following features are also being tracked for future updates, but will take some time before they will be completed.

- Improved ways for authors to collaborate on projects
    - Author rating based on overall ratings of missions they've created
    - Web access to searching Foundry-generated missions

Map Editor Future Goals

- Create fully customized interior layouts from room and hallway pieces
    - Place lights directly on a map
    2013 Q1: With workarounds
    - Use a random name generator for contacts and actors
    - Placing "anomaly" crafting nodes into maps
    - Custom behaviors for encounters (custom AI)
    - Placement of auto-generated civilian populations
    - The ability to create custom planetary surface (exterior) maps
    - 3-D visualization while editing to improve placement of details
    - "Make a random map" option to speed up map creation

Mission Editor Future Goals

- Give the player quest items used by the mission
    - The ability to create content that takes place on the player?'s own "bridge" interior
    - Custom cut scenes as part of the mission

Other Uses of Foundry Content

- Using Foundry to create custom starship bridge and ship interiors
    - Using Foundry to create custom starbase interiors
    - Using Foundry to create PvP maps
    - Using Foundry to create Fleet Action maps

As you can see - there are a lot of great features coming for the Foundry. We are already seeing great missions with the features we have now and the power of the tools will grow over time while (hopefully) still retaining the simple learning curve.
  • sparm92sparm92 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just one rather annoying detail the drop limit. Could either be extended which before any of you say a word ant going to happen. But plan b would be instead off stop the drops all together you could cut the quality to lets say common so people acerbically have a chance to get what they want or need in game when not every player in this game is capable of buying zen. Do this and it be better for players who either have tight finances or do not have a dame income. That just my 2 cents take it or leave it. But don't say it a bad idea.