test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starships: Model errors, issues and feedback

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Sovereign.jpg

I noticed this tonight... But have never noticed it before, which is odd considering how often I fly this thing.

Seems to be some torn or otherwise distorted UVs on the ventral-aft of the Sovereign's engineering hull. It became extremely obvious during an exploration mission which had bright green lighting, as the errors appear to be... reflective.
    edited July 2011
    Comet Class (Recon Science Variant)

Capn Logan has stated that he plans to make changes to the Comet Class in an another thread. I would like to say overall I like the ship a great deal I do however find the following things could benefit from changes

- Close the gaps in the armor/overlays and make it a solid engineering hull

- Slightly bulk up the Nacelle Pylons

-Lower the walls around the shuttlebay doors

-Give her a bridge on the center line dorsal bulge on the saucer

To me that would make her even better
    edited July 2011
    Does anyone know why they choose to use the old sovereign class in the game and not the new refit version from nemesis? Never really understood their choice.

ps. enterprise F is looking good. :)
    edited July 2011
    RAJ_2011 wrote:
    Does anyone know why they choose to use the old sovereign class in the game and not the new refit version from nemesis? Never really understood their choice.

ps. enterprise F is looking good. :)

Probably because most of the plans circulating the net are for the regular version from the first 2 films (as is alot of the referance photos). Game design wise, the regular one takes less polygons to model as well, would be cool if the refit that John Eaves designed (that didn't make it into the film due to budget constraints) could be added to the game eventually though :-)

final-e-small.jpg

Note that is has extra detailing on the enginering hull (like the original concept) and also has larger impulse engines.
    edited July 2011
    Suricata wrote: »
    Probably because most of the plans circulating the net are for the regular version from the first 2 films (as is alot of the referance photos). Game design wise, the regular one takes less polygons to model as well, would be cool if the refit that John Eaves designed (that didn't make it into the film due to budget constraints) could be added to the game eventually though :-)

*snip*

Note that is has extra detailing on the enginering hull (like the original concept) and also has larger impulse engines.

Not to mention considerably bulked up nacelle struts.
    edited July 2011

I read some where that the enterprise e in nemesis is the refit/revised version of the soveregin class. John Eaves did redo the desgin of the sovereign class in nemesis, didn't he?

i think this is it, http://ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/sovereign.htm
    edited July 2011
    RAJ_2011 wrote:
    I read some where that the enterprise e in nemesis is the refit/revised version of the soveregin class. John Eaves did redo the desgin of the sovereign class in nemesis, didn't he?

He did '2' refit designs.

The first one was for the CGI model used in the film. It was then planned that at teh very end of the film (whilst the ship was been repaired in drydock) that it would get a 2nd refit, this never made it to the film though.
    edited July 2011
    He did '2' refit designs.

The first one was for the CGI model used in the film. It was then planned that at teh very end of the film (whilst the ship was been repaired in drydock) that it would get a 2nd refit, this never made it to the film though.
    o you mean at the end of nemesis, ya I remember reading about that. Did the actually do it but didn't yhave the chance to put it in the film?

this is the website think. http://ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/sovereign.htm
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    Aaaaaagreed I need another artist badly.. working on that. Yes this sketch is wonky... the model will be clean and orderly sir.

Out of curiosity, in terms of building up and skinning a ship design, how long a process is that usually? What tools do you folks use for the modeling, lightwave or some such?
    edited July 2011
    Speaking of the Noble.

Anyway Cryptic can take a look at the lower lights on the hull? In particular notice the Windows I pointed out with the green arrow.

On most all other ships, the windows are all in scale with each other.

Yet here on the lower rear of the Noble's hull you notice that those rows of windows look too small, out of scale, and out of place.

There is no need to have them.

noblewindows.jpg

here it is Photoshoped with the windows re-arranged (I did a quick job simply copy and editing two rows of windows down)

noblenowindow.jpg
    edited August 2011
    screenshot_2011-08-01-21-57-56.jpg

looks like the impulse engines on the celestial saucer are wonky. two red dots are following my ship around.
    edited August 2011
    Haven't been following the thread much, but i hope CaptainLogan finds some useful material from here
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans.htm

Great work btw, I hope you find the time to go over all the ships after the season 4 fireworks settle down in a nice, stress-less manner :)
    edited August 2011
    I noticed that the new borg ships, the weapon fire was meant to impact the the outer layer rather than having the weapons fire into the cubes.

im not sure if this part of it was updated yet but im still seeing phaser strips going into the ship rather than hitting the hull. not a major issue but if it was meant to have been fixed, i dont think its worked.
    edited August 2011
    I noticed that the new borg ships, the weapon fire was meant to impact the the outer layer rather than having the weapons fire into the cubes.

im not sure if this part of it was updated yet but im still seeing phaser strips going into the ship rather than hitting the hull. not a major issue but if it was meant to have been fixed, i dont think its worked.

Noticed this as well, also the Cubes don't have the square shield ring effects we saw either. Looks like not all of the changes were put onto Holodeck.
    edited August 2011
    Sovereign class, just noticed this. The Deflector has too shallow of a slope. Needs to be steeper.
    edited August 2011
    Only scanned a few pages of the thread so maybe this has been mentioned already.

I'm a fan of subtle visual changes over the overt ones. Watching Endgame again to check out the Rhode Island I noticed the armor generators that were installed on Voyager. I know that consoles are going to be the future of ship special abilities. That said, if/when the LRSV-R armor becomes a console ability, could we have a visual change to the ship to include the generators?
    edited August 2011
    Trone wrote:
    Only scanned a few pages of the thread so maybe this has been mentioned already.

I'm a fan of subtle visual changes over the overt ones. Watching Endgame again to check out the Rhode Island I noticed the armor generators that were installed on Voyager. I know that consoles are going to be the future of ship special abilities. That said, if/when the LRSV-R armor becomes a console ability, could we have a visual change to the ship to include the generators?

That sounds like an awesome idea, also a good way for players to tell the difference between the captain level and VA levels of this ship. Just like people asking for the Venture style Galaxy nacelles on the refit version of the Galaxy class.
    edited August 2011
    Trone wrote:

To be honest, I didn't even notice the RI when I went to tribble to test it out. I picked it up from the vendor and went to the ship tailor and clicked rhode island and.... nothing happened. I figured the button must be broken and clicked advanced to find that it had defaulted to the rhode island body style and I didn't even realise; it was that dull looking. :p
    edited August 2011
    I think we could see more non-Starfleet ships on the Federation side. Like an Andorian ship, the Kumari Cruiser like we saw on Star Trek: Enterprise. There are some pictures of the ship and of what the bridge looks like. And what of weapons and uniforms that the Andorians used that we saw on Enterprise.

For Federation ships, there are still a few ships out there that aren't on the game. Like the Ambassador and Norway class ships. The Norway class, in my opinion, might be more of a Lieutenant Commander ship. As for the Ambassador, might be more along the lines of a Captain ship.

Along the lines of interiors, I'm a big detail person, can they be made more like what we've seen on the Star Trek series. For example: Not as wide or tall as the current interiors, proper rooms for the proper ships like the proper engineering room for an intrepid class ship.

Perhaps more bundle packs can be distributed including features from Voyager, Deep Space Nine, and The Next Generation.
    edited August 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    lol word. Here's some fixes.

Ship_Fed_Fs3_Type1-2.jpg

Ship_Fed_Fs3_Type1-1.jpg

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=222636&page=10
    Alexraptor wrote: »
    When can we expect to see the Intrepid update as well as the new material?
    CapnLogan wrote:
    I'm not sure when the next patch is... but with the next patch. That's a DStahl question and I'm not in the office today. :)
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=222636&page=12

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j432/lancemikemack/intrepidvariant.jpg
    I'm really getting excited about the intrepid variants!

Any updates on when we can expect to see the Intrepid fixes/update? I think there's been a few patches since this original post.
    edited August 2011
    has anyone notice how low the nacelles are on some crusier for example the sovereign class, i am sure that the nacells are higher than the sauser section and speaking of the sovereign class when are they going to update itws appearance to look like the nemesis sovereign refit?
    edited August 2011
    From what I read in the Klingon Shipyard, we won't likely see movement on any original starship models we listed until Captlogan gets another Engineer (Dev) for his team. He is rather backlogged on variants at the moment. But that doesn't mean we won't see our list addressed later. So I'm still hopeful.
    edited August 2011
    From what I read in the Klingon Shipyard, we won't likely see movement on any original starship models we listed until Captlogan gets another Engineer (Dev) for his team. He is rather backlogged on variants at the moment. But that doesn't mean we won't see our list addressed later. So I'm still hopeful.

Keep my fingers crossed!

but still is it just me or does the sovereign nacells look really low?
    edited August 2011
    Hey Cap, any word on the Defiant's IP overhaul? I know Suricata did an amazing mock up of how we'd like to make it look in game. I was curious if was going to resemble his efforts at all?

defiantfixes.jpg
    edited August 2011
    Sprint01 wrote:
    Hey Cap, any word on the Defiant's IP overhaul? I know Suricata did an amazing mock up of how we'd like to make it look in game. I was curious if was going to resemble his efforts at all?

Don't forget the side views. :p
    edited August 2011
    Minor issue really but is the Nebula-class going to have the Starfleet red stripes and emblems added to it at some point?
    edited August 2011
    With the Rhode Island going live today, it doesn't look like Capn got a chance to match canon. Just incase he missed it:

Rhode Island - Aft
    Rhode Island - Top
    Rhode Island - Front
    Rhode Island-Side
    Rhode Island-Underside

Also, the Prometheus still needs another revamp.
    edited August 2011
    Azurian wrote: »
    With the Rhode Island going live today, it doesn't look like Capn got a chance to match canon. Just incase he missed it:

Rhode Island - Aft
    Rhode Island - Top
    Rhode Island - Front
    Rhode Island-Side
    Rhode Island-Underside

Also, the Prometheus still needs another revamp.

Many of these are still missing or incorrect on the Nova which still have not been fixed after 1.5 years.

I would also like more than one window option for the Rhode Island.
    edited August 2011
    I've mentioned this before, but it seems nothing's been done yet. Very minor but it does stand out, the Fed decals on the NX saucer are red instead of the blue color they're supposed to be.

RedFedDecals.jpg

Also noticed yesterday while doing the mission in the Romulan FE where you follow the Reman BoP, there were green lights following the ship around, similar to ones I've seen other people post about here with other ships. That I don't have a screenshot for, unfortunately.
    edited August 2011
    its safe to say that alot of the sjips needs revamping to meet canon. To me it seems they are not even trying to put enoug detail in the ships so they look like there counterparts from teh shows and movies. I have mentione this before even the sovereign class needs either changing to look like its nemesis version or add a sovereign refit class for t5 or t6 or a t5.2?
This discussion has been closed.